• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Yeah, I've done the same and they really haven't given a time yet. It's supposed to be going live, right? It's odd that this is a show for the fans and everything, but we don't have an actual time to tune into the live show on Niconico.

Maybe they're trying to go for the confusion factor of the November 24 reveal, since that was the direct influence for this show, heh.

I assumed Persona Stalker Club would be pre-recorded like most Nintendo Direct broadcasts, but I guess not.

FluxWaveZ

I assumed Persona Stalker Club would be pre-recorded like most Nintendo Direct broadcasts, but I guess not.

I first assumed that it was live, but the lack of a concrete time then made me think it was going to be pre-recorded. Gematsu and Siliconera say that it's gonna be happening live, with the key word "broadcast" so... I have no idea.

I first assumed that it was live, but the lack of a concrete time then made me think it was going to be pre-recorded. Gematsu and Siliconera say that it's gonna be happening live, with the key word "broadcast" so... I have no idea.

Let's just hope it's not at the same time as November's broadcast.

PK Gaming

Time to step it up!

1360965038837.jpg

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
O18NZIX.jpg

I know this is a bit late, but I noticed from the PQ screenshots that there is no option to select/deselect Makoto from the team (assuming this is from P3's side).

So do we get to create a party with no leader just like Teddie's harem or was Teddie just joking around? Also, shouldn't there be more characters in the select screen since there should be 20 playable characters total?

Or maybe I'm just worrying too much here, since the game is not out yet.

I just got asked about this a little while ago on my Tumblr. I don't know if it was you who asked it, but I'll post my thoughts again here to try and give better insight into what I read personally in Japanese originally.

Hmm, the Japanese article does say 20 characters originally. That much I’m confident about. (For any other Japanese translators out there, for the record, the original line is 「オリジナルキャラクターの善と玲を加えた20名から最大5人を選出して、プレイヤーの好きな編成で探索やバトルに臨むことができる。」) But you’re right that the math might be a bit weird. Here’s the screenshot they provided of the character select screen and what originally led me to state what I did in tandem with the information explicitly stated in the article:

[character select screen]

I didn’t notice this until you pointed the numbering discrepancy, but I think the article might be doing a weird semantics thing that allows us to both potentially be right. If you look closely at that screenshot, you might notice that while the Persona 4 protagonist is a selectable character, the Persona 3 one isn’t, despite being a part of the party lineup up top. The only reasonable thing we can conclude from this is that it means the latter is the character that the player chose to play as at the beginning of the game.

If we take that to be the case and assume that the reverse would happen if you were to select the Persona 4 protagonist, then the article’s contents can still be technically correct: you can still choose from 20 characters, excluding the character you picked to play as in the beginning because he has to be a constant fixture in the party by default and can’t be removed. The original Japanese article doesn’t outright state that, but there’s nothing in there that outright denies it, either. These sorts of articles are usually just written based on whatever PR the developer has handed out to the publications, so the number itself is at least correct; it’s just how that number is interpreted, of all things, that’s potentially messy.

You could be fully right, too, I’m not trying to deny that. Bear in mind that the Velvet Room attendant stuff that I wrote was always speculation on my part and hopefully that was made clear in the original post. I made that assumption based on the number presented in the article and that screenshot up above and all I’ve done is demonstrate that there’s possibly a way still for the remaining character slots to be four instead of three depending on how people choose to calculate it. It’s weird, but issues like this aren’t unheard of with Japanese game reporting, so I suppose we’ll find out one way or another soon enough by the time the game is out in Japan!

(Edit: I know there’s been a lot of hubbub about being able to potentially form parties that don’t have either protagonist about them, but unless I missed an article or something somewhere, I haven’t seen any information anywhere that explicitly states as much. That lack of official confirmation that I know of is ultimately what makes or breaks my math in the end. Just wanted to address that point specifically.)

I agree with Flux that the Teddie bit is just a joke. The article does state if you do some weird party configurations, you might get some interesting stuff to happen, but that was so vague that I didn't bother translating it because the writing didn't bother to imply whether the game actually reacted to weird formations or just that Sub-Personas make really out there configurations to be viable.

arue

I just got asked about this a little while ago on my Tumblr. I don't know if it was you who asked it, but I'll post my thoughts again here to try and give better insight into what I read personally in Japanese originally.

(QUOTE)

I agree with Flux that the Teddie bit is just a joke. The article does state if you do some weird party configurations, you might get some interesting stuff to happen, but that was so vague that I didn't bother translating it because the writing didn't bother to imply whether the game actually reacted to weird formations or just that Sub-Personas make really out there configurations to be viable.

It wasn't me who asked on Tumblr, but I do follow you on Tumblr. Thanks for the info Pepsiman.

I guess we just have to wait for future announcements. I'm hoping for the Velvet siblings to be playable though.

Top Bottom