• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

arue

They won't. They've said as much: this is the finale. If there is some kind of cliffhanger, I can almost guarantee that they will not involve any story threads introduced in P4A or concluded in P4AU.

That's good. I hope P4U provides a satisfying conclusion to the P3/P4 universe.

No. It must.

I'm in class and can't make a detailed post but Elizabeth explicitly refers to a boy without a Persona at the start of her story. It's just Sho.

Silky

Banned
so is labrys like bad or something in P4A? shit health, slow speed, requires axe leveling which can really only be done in close range.

seems like a glass cannon. :s her super armor is ridiculous tho

FluxWaveZ

I'm in class and can't make a detailed post but Elizabeth explicitly refers to a boy without a Persona at the start of her story. It's just Sho.

Alright, that makes it sound more like
she's talking about Sho and not Makoto. Wonder why she'd be so eager to meet up with him?

so is labrys like bad or something in P4A? shit health, slow speed, requires axe leveling which can really only be done in low range.

Labrys is a lot of things, but glass canon she is not.

arue

The epilogue and Dancing All Night both take place after Ultimax, soooooo...

I can't believe I forgot about P4D. I guess that just show my interest level in it doesn't it?

Well I hope P4U creates a conclusive ending to the P3 universe... Unless they bring the P3 cast back in P4D with canon story.
I hope not.

Moonlight

Banned
Thank you.
now this spoiler sho is over.
image.php

PK Gaming

so is labrys like bad or something in P4A? shit health, slow speed, requires axe leveling which can really only be done in close range.

She actually has standard health (9500)

But yeah, Labby has some serious problems. From what i've gathered, she has one of worst DPs in the game (which meant that her reversal options are nonexistent)
slow startup on her normals, a useless super, and a limited Persona. All of those things (garbage DP especially) kept her from being a top contender. That isn't to say that was unviable. According to the matchup chart her matchups against the top half of the cast aren't "terrible." She's just unappealing overall (unless you like her, of course)

And remember, this only applies to high level play. She can kick ass in casual play if you're good.

(Amusingly, Shadow Labrys's has one of the best DPs in the game, and her version of the Brutal Impact super is actually viable. I wonder why they did that)

She actually has standard health (9500)

But yeah, Labby has some serious problems. From what i've gathered, she has one of worst DPs in the game (which meant that her reversal options are nonexistent)
slow startup on her normals, a useless super, and a limited Persona. All of those things (garbage DP especially) kept her from being a top contender. That isn't to say that was unviable. According to the matchup chart her matchups against the top half of the cast aren't "terrible." She's just unappealing overall (unless you like her, of course)

And remember, this only applies to high level play. She can kick ass in casual play if you're good.

(Amusingly, Shadow Labrys's has one of the best DPs in the game, and her version of the Brutal Impact super is actually viable. I wonder why they did that)

because arcsys hates me
image.php

PK Gaming

Oh well.... um, at least she's better in the sequel?

Tecta1Eastside said:
A top JP Labrys Koma tweeted around a week ago that P4U Labrys is better than P4U2 Labrys.
P4U2 Labrys has Better OMB/Red Axe combos. P4U Labrys had the better oki/frame data.

Well shiiiiiiiit

EDIT: Ok some of these nerfs are outright droll. I seriously wonder why they decided to nerf a character who was already pretty limited. o_0

FluxWaveZ

slow startup on her normals

She doesn't really have that slow of a startup for most of her normals.

And those are just some of the many changes that exist between the characters. Same reason Labrys can combo her sweep into Guillotine Axe and Slab can't.

Acid08

Banned
^Shit. That's fucking awesome man!

Screw the fusion bow.

>2014
>not using Mary/Maki's Resolve due to nostalgia/sentimental value

Yall r poops

tumblr_mtlevd7qi01sthzylo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mfqbk7QBI51ryd2pfo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lovxqwO8r51qez5o0o1_1280.jpg

1258031698215549.png

tumblr_mj9ksjqqPW1qfk1a4o1_500.png

Best archer in the Persona series. "Please hit" my ass Yukari, you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn yo. Maki at least hits multiple foes yo.
I like dis.

Since I played through most of P4G over the course of the last month and had been enjoying it, I was looking into picking up Persona 3 while Atlus has the series on sale on PSN. I remember reading in here that there isn't a definitive version of the game, so I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction where I could decide. The main difference I can see that is making me lean pretty heavily toward FES is being able to traverse the 3D environments ala P4. The static looking ones for P3P aren't doing it for me, but I could be persuaded if there were some significant improvements/changes to the battle system and the like.

Help me, PersonaGAF!

^I main Labrys in P4A

Since I played through most of P4G over the course of the last month and had been enjoying it, I was looking into picking up Persona 3 while Atlus has the series on sale on PSN. I remember reading in here that there isn't a definitive version of the game, so I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction where I could decide. The main difference I can see that is making me lean pretty heavily toward FES is being able to traverse the 3D environments ala P4. The static looking ones for P3P aren't doing it for me, but I could be persuaded if there were some significant improvements/changes to the battle system and the like.

Help me, PersonaGAF!

The question I always ask people when they ask this, is, do you prefer story/presentation over gameplay, or the other way around? Also, is playing as a female protagonist important to you, or would you prefer a long (but hard) epilogue story?

PK Gaming

She doesn't really have that slow of a startup for most of her normals.

And those are just some of the many changes that exist between the characters. Same reason Labrys can combo her sweep into Guillotine Axe and Slab can't.

Yeah, I could be off base here (I can't say i'm an expert on Labrys). I took a gander at her frame data and noticed that her 5A has a 7 frame startup (slower than most of the cast) , and the rest of her normals have comparatively slower start up than the cast (5B, 2B, etc).

Oh and I know that they're supposed to be different. Like conceptually, I get it. They have similar looking moves with different properties (Ryu & Ken, Mario & Luigi, etc) I was just wondering why in those 2 instances (DP & Awakening), why Labrys clearly loses out. It bugs me.

FluxWaveZ

Oh and I know that they're supposed to be different. Like conceptually, I get it. They have similar looking moves with different properties (Ryu & Ken, Mario & Luigi, etc) I was just wondering why in those 2 instances (DP & Awakening), why Labrys clearly loses out. It bugs me.

Labrys gets a better reversal super than Shadow Labrys does upon Awakening via Breaking Wheel. S. Lab's Brutal Impact is an extremely risky reversal option and is only really useful in combos or YOLO DP super cancels.

This might be why Labrys' DP is poorer than S. Lab's, because S. Lab doesn't have a safe reversal option outside of her DP, so if she didn't have that she wouldn't have anything.

Labrys has axe levels, big damage potential, 1,500 more health than S. Lab, a 17 frame startup on her 2B actually making it worth it instead of S. Lab's 25... Her normals are slower than most of the cast, yeah, but I guess I was comparing them more to S. Lab in that instance.

^I main Labrys in P4A

The question I always ask people when they ask this, is, do you prefer story/presentation over gameplay, or the other way around? Also, is playing as a female protagonist important to you, or would you prefer a long (but hard) epilogue story?

This is exactly why I was planning to ask this once I posted impressions after finishing the game but distraction got in the way.

The short of it is that I greatly enjoy everything about P4 outside of the battles. I find its focus on mechanics that speed up fights comes off as a double edged sword. I feel it gets me to the story, character interactions, S.Link progression, and all of that faster at the expense of making the basic enemy encounters feel insignificant and more of a chore. The actual boss battles and sub bosses are where I think the mechanics, status changes, and genuine strategy really begin to click with the right amount of challenge. None of the combat is bad to me, but the gripes I stated above hold it back for me. So to answer your first question, in the case of how Atlus handles its story, pacing, characters, etc etc, I do prefer the story/presentation.

Also in this case, I'd rather play as the male protagonist so that P3P extra doesn't mean much to me. Can you elaborate on what you mean by the long epilogue story? I assume you're referring to that really long dungeon that I always hear about when referring to P3. lol

PK Gaming

preach

arc sys still dont know how to balance a game loll

Well, they did a good job of balancing everyone besides Labrys.

Colpevole said:
Amusingly, the only characters who apparently got actually "worse" so far according to JP are Labrys, Liz and Chie. Of those, Labrys still has at least two players in top 20 PSR rankings (was she better in P4A than we thought than?), Chie is still really good but players just look confused with her (aka she very well might go up later on, and is still possibly top 5 already), and no one plays Liz well in Japan (the best Liz dropped her for Sho before the game even came out).

As for everyone else? Way stronger! Yeah, that means Narukami and Aigis and Mitsuru ALSO got better, but everyone else can keep up with them now way easier than before. Although there's speculation that Narukami might be a little TOO strong now lol.

Speaking of Kanji specifically, arcsys might have made their second well designed grappler??? Step aside Potemkin, Kanji is here to take over!

Though he said this back in January and things might have changed since then.

PK Gaming

Labrys gets a better reversal super than Shadow Labrys does upon Awakening via Breaking Wheel. S. Lab's Brutal Impact is an extremely risky reversal option and is only really useful in combos or YOLO DP super cancels.

This might be why Labrys' DP is poorer than S. Lab's, because S. Lab doesn't have a safe reversal option outside of her DP, so if she didn't have that she wouldn't have anything.

Labrys has axe levels, big damage potential, 1,500 more health than S. Lab, a 17 frame startup on her 2B actually making it worth it instead of S. Lab's 25... Her normals are slower than most of the cast, yeah, but I guess I was comparing them more to S. Lab in that instance.
I guess you have a point

Though I question the legitimacy of having a character with reversal options that only exist while under awakening (and one that costs 50 meter no less!) She's kind of screwed in heavy pressure situations outside of awakening. As for Brutal Impact, I know that it's a risky option for S.lab, I was just wondering why her's is viable (IE usable during combos like you said) while Labrys's is 100% useless, 100% of the time. Though the fact that they buffed S.Lab and +/- Labrys speaks for itself...

As an aside, I didn't know that S.Labs 2B was slower than Labrys'. Interesting. I should go back and compare frama data between the 2.

This is exactly why I was planning to ask this once I posted impressions after finishing the game but distraction got in the way.

The short of it is that I greatly enjoy everything about P4 outside of the battles. I find its focus on mechanics that speed up fights comes off as a double edged sword. I feel it gets me to the story, character interactions, S.Link progression, and all of that faster at the expense of making the basic enemy encounters feel insignificant and more of a chore. The actual boss battles and sub bosses are where I think the mechanics, status changes, and genuine strategy really begin to click with the right amount of challenge. None of the combat is bad to me, but the gripes I stated above hold it back for me. So to answer your first question, in the case of how Atlus handles its story, pacing, characters, etc etc, I do prefer the story/presentation.

Also in this case, I'd rather play as the male protagonist so that P3P extra doesn't mean much to me. Can you elaborate on what you mean by the long epilogue story? I assume you're referring to that really long dungeon that I always hear about when referring to P3. lol

Well, P3FES has 2 campaigns. The normal one, The Journey, with your slinks and your social/school life and dungeon combo and such. It also has a 25+ hour (more if you don't rush) second campaign called The Answer. This is pure dungeon crawling with story in between areas. This mode has no difficulty select, and is locked to being on Hard mode. There is no social linking, no school life, no Persona compendium, no fusion spells, no weapon fusions, and such. I personally think its the better part of P3FES, but many disagree with me.

The main disadvantages of P3FES, is that you ONLY control your main character. Every other party member is AI controlled, like the very beginning of P4, but you cannot turn that off. Also the social links are weaker in P3 IMO, The male protagonist and his social links were the first social links ever written. The female protagonist in P3P was written after Persona 4, and hers are much stronger. Persona 3 as a whole is a more cold game than P4's warm and friendly atmosphere, and its often said that the party members feel less like a close group of friends, and more co workers forced to work together in order to accomplish a goal.

The Answer is not in P3P, so you are missing a pretty nice chunk of the game there, and I think P3FES is the best way to experience it, if you really like P3, you could pick up P3P on sale some time and play as the girl to experience a different side of P3.

I tend to feel like people who favor P1/P2 like The Answer, and obviously, The Journey is more liked by those who crave a calendar system and slinks and such. Nothing wrong with that, but I just feel like P4 does that style of game way better.

its often said that the party members feel less like a close group of friends, and more co workers forced to work together in order to accomplish a goal.

No, thank you! I love P4 because of the relationships and interactions between the characters. I played through half of P3 then never touched it again. Hopefully P5 will be more like P4 than P3...

No, thank you! I love P4 because of the relationships and interactions between the characters. I played through half of P3 then never touched it again. Hopefully P5 will be more like P4 than P3...

I like it when series try different things like that! I would hope that P5 blazes its own trail instead of just rehashing 3 or 4

FluxWaveZ

I guess you have a point

Though I question the legitimacy of having a character with reversal options that only exist while under awakening (and one that costs 50 meter no less!) She's kind of screwed in heavy pressure situations outside of awakening. As for Brutal Impact, I know that it's a risky option for S.lab, I was just wondering why her's is viable (IE usable during combos like you said) while Labrys's is 100% useless, 100% of the time. Though the fact that they buffed S.Lab and +/- Labrys speaks for itself...

Labrys' Brutal Impact can be used in combos as well, just less accessible ones than S. Labs. And as for a reversal option, there's always the Guard Cancel Attack outside of Awakening. It's not perfect but, it's there.

If I were to talk about it in terms of design, I suppose it's because Labrys is made to be punished under pressure, but very much rewarded on the offensive, which is part of why she has axe levels that dramatically increase damage potential when she's on the attack, but deteriorate when she's forced to defend. This forces the player to think in terms of minimizing the time they should be staying on the defense.

This might be why she's harder to approach with at higher levels of play, but is recognized as a beginner friendly character.

PK Gaming

Labrys' Brutal Impact can be used in combos as well, just less accessible ones than S. Labs. And as for a reversal option, there's always the Guard Cancel Attack outside of Awakening. It's not perfect but, it's there.

If I were to talk about it in terms of design, I suppose it's because Labrys is made to be punished under pressure, but very much rewarded on the offensive, which is part of why she has axe levels that dramatically increase damage potential when she's on the attack, but deteriorate when she's forced to defend. This forces the player to think in terms of minimizing the time they should be staying on the defense.

This might be why she's harder to approach with at higher levels of play, but is recognized as a beginner friendly character.

That paints a clearer picture

I'm unhappy with the fact that it has to be that way but I can see where they're coming from now

Thanks

Nachos

Well, P3FES has 2 campaigns. The normal one, The Journey, with your slinks and your social/school life and dungeon combo and such. It also has a 25+ hour (more if you don't rush) second campaign called The Answer. This is pure dungeon crawling with story in between areas. This mode has no difficulty select, and is locked to being on Hard mode. There is no social linking, no school life, no Persona compendium, no fusion spells, no weapon fusions, and such. I personally think its the better part of P3FES, but many disagree with me.

The main disadvantages of P3FES, is that you ONLY control your main character. Every other party member is AI controlled, like the very beginning of P4, but you cannot turn that off. Also the social links are weaker in P3 IMO, The male protagonist and his social links were the first social links ever written. The female protagonist in P3P was written after Persona 4, and hers are much stronger. Persona 3 as a whole is a more cold game than P4's warm and friendly atmosphere, and its often said that the party members feel less like a close group of friends, and more co workers forced to work together in order to accomplish a goal.

The Answer is not in P3P, so you are missing a pretty nice chunk of the game there, and I think P3FES is the best way to experience it, if you really like P3, you could pick up P3P on sale some time and play as the girl to experience a different side of P3.

I tend to feel like people who favor P1/P2 like The Answer, and obviously, The Journey is more liked by those who crave a calendar system and slinks and such. Nothing wrong with that, but I just feel like P4 does that style of game way better.

And to clarify further, think of The Answer as the epilogue to The Journey, even if you can choose to start either at any time. It's not merely a side story that you could start at any time concurrently with The Journey. It's just that they knew a lot of people already played the original version and wouldn't necessarily want to play through it again to reach the brand new content.

And to clarify further, think of The Answer as the epilogue to The Journey, even if you can choose to start either at any time. It's not merely a side story that you could start at any time concurrently with The Journey.

Yes, absolutely do not play The Answer until you beat The Journey.

I really appreciate how detailed this was. You've sold me on FES, and I'll look into maybe getting P3P down the road for FeMC. Only being able to control the MC is definitely something I'll have to adjust to, though I'm totally game for a stark contrast in tone compared to P4. Thanks for the help!

And to clarify further, think of The Answer as the epilogue to The Journey, even if you can choose to start either at any time. It's not merely a side story that you could start at any time concurrently with The Journey. It's just that they knew a lot of people already played the original version and wouldn't necessarily want to play through it again to reach the brand new content.

Will keep this in mind as well. Thanks!

I really appreciate how detailed this was. You've sold me on FES, and I'll look into maybe getting P3P down the road for FeMC. Only being able to control the MC is definitely something I'll have to adjust to, though I'm totally game for a stark contrast in tone compared to P4. Thanks for the help!

Will keep this in mind as well. Thanks!

Anytime! Also, There is Persona 4 Arena, which pulls from both P3 and P4. The Answer content is directly referenced and followed upon, making it canon that it happened, it is pretty dumb that P3P players who play it will be like ,"wait...when did that happen?", because they never saw that content.

Anytime! Also, There is Persona 4 Arena, which pulls from both P3 and P4. The Answer content is directly referenced and followed upon, making it canon that it happened, it is pretty dumb that P3P players who play it will be like ,"wait...when did that happen?", because they never saw that content.

Yeah, I played Persona 4 Arena way back when it first released and enjoyed it as well. I don't have it anymore, but I might have to go back to it in order to actually play through the story. Never touched it originally. Playing P4 has made me want to finally try out other SMT games. P3 seemed like the safest bet for where to turn to next even though I probably won't start it up till summer rolls around.

Here is a message from the Persona series Blog from Persona series Chief Director himself, Katsura Hashino. Yeah this over a week old, but still though it was interesting. He talks about the Persona Stalker Club and about the transition period of ATLUS as a company over the last year.

Hello, this is Hashino of the Persona Team.

I have a feeling that some might ask, “why these two?” but [I’m glad] I was able to get such genuine people. While there are many shows for games, [these two] know their products, play them, love them, and above all, they can clearly express themselves.

I believe that having such people as our two hosts will further spread the excitement, and maybe become part of the community… at least that’s what I hope for.

The concept behind the program is “audience participation with the player community, and respecting the perspective of all fans”. If it weren’t for us being able to persuade the two hosts, this most likely would’ve never happened.

Our territory lies within game development, but we had this ridiculous request of wanting to have something that could make fans happy and we had plans and ideas for a “super lighthearted program” where anything could happen. And these two are really wonderful people, so I’m really grateful that they’ve accepted this.

On our side, we were able to make small contributions such as helping them out with the program’s logo and costume designs. The two hosts have a very “punk” impression, so we’ve included that vibe to [the costumes], too. Soejima (Shigenori) looked like he had a lot of fun while drawing them, but I was also very touched by the love and affection shown by the others in production. I would like to take this opportunity to thank them all.

I hope that one day this will become one of the more popular shows, and it’ll be up to you fans as to how far it will continue, so please check it out for yourselves.

As far as the development side of things go, our company has had many changes, and it looks like we, together as Atlus’ development teams, will finally be able to have things calm down starting this Spring. We will continue where we left off and work hard on developing our products.

One last thing.

I’d like to share my thoughts on all of you who’ve always voiced your support. Thank you very much. I’d like to continue making things that you all like, for as long as possible, and thank you for supporting all the titles that will be headed your way!

Atlus and Persona team

Chief Director & Creative Producer

Katsura Hashino

Source of Translation: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/05/things-will-finally-calm-atlus-spring-says-persona-director/

Top Bottom