• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
お待たせいたしました!お久しぶりの英語字幕をアップしたところですよー!

Anyway, I know a lot of you are subscribed to me YouTube channel, but here are my subs for Fuuka's and Rise trailers. Feel free disseminate them wherever if they're not already!

Dantis

Koromaru, Ken, Naoto, Kanji, The Velvet Room crew, and Marie are all missing I believe. So that means they have enough for four more sets of trailers if they want.

So it's more like saving the best until whenever they show her.

Huehuehuehue.

Anyway, I know a lot of you are subscribed to me YouTube channel, but here are my subs for Fuuka's and Rise trailers. Feel free disseminate them wherever if they're not already!

You're the best.

Sophia

We didn't have to wait that long! Thank you for subtitling them. ;p

Oh yeah I just noticed: The good old classic battle indicator is back.... and it has a MegaTen style enemy on it!

smticonmruz5.jpg

Dantis

New trailers are neat.

OST seems like it's going to be huge for a spinoff game. It actually makes me wonder if Kitajoh won't be working on P5 much, if at all.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
That's like stating you can't wait to get Malaria; no one wants a Ken trailer. No One.

But if you develop malaria, you can be immune to HIV. Wouldn't you prefer a Ken trailer so you can avoid dealing with something even worse, like, say.... I dunno? I've spent like half of my day subtitling other things in addition to these trailers, so I'm pretty beat. You fill in the blank! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Y'all are soft. (P3 October spoilers)
I've gotten Shinjiro up to Level 99 twice just so I can solo The Reaper with him because he is awesome.

Unrelated, but I'm replaying FFVI on iOS right now and I was just reminded how friggin' awful the Fanatic's Tower is. P3 and 4's dungeons look like masterpieces by comparison.

Ob, and great job as usual, Pepsiman!

Nachos

We didn't have to wait that long! Thank you for subtitling them. ;p

Oh yeah I just noticed: The good old classic battle indicator is back.... and it has a MegaTen style enemy on it!

That's actually been there since the first batch of gameplay they've showed, which, with the limited stuff they'd shown at that point, made me believe it'd be closer to Etrian Odyssey than the final game will probably end up being. Actually, though, I just realized something: the sub-personas could end up working just like the grimoire stones from EO Untold, which, if true...Eh...Guess I'll never want to bother.

"Thank you for waiting! It is a place you up English subtitles Long time no see!"

That's...surprisingly coherent for Google translate. Anyway, sankyuu!

Lunar15

I brought this up in the discussion side thread, but I really like that Yu/Makoto actually responded to Rise/Fuuka during battle. We've talked about having more in-battle banter before, and this seems like it's actually going in that direction.

kewlmyc

Thanks for continuing to do these. You're awesome.

Trigger

Awesome sauce. I wonder how they'll differentiate Fuuka and Rise as support members?

arue

Thanks for the translation!

I'm loving the battle UI and the result screen. They're so colorful that they really show how playful this game will be.

Fall 2014 is going to be great with SDR2 and PQ even though I don't have a Vita :p

thank you pepsibro

Maybe Rise is a healer type, and Fuuka is a debuffer/buffer type...
Or she could just screw you all over with Oracle!

They always upload these when I'm asleep.

You da man.

Caladrius

Still no Fuuka Bazuuka

preorder canceled.

Thank you for breaking the news at least.

Finally, something about that game is interesting.

Well the graphics arguments are pretty funny for all the wrong reasons.

I was so hyped for that game, and so "ugh, another one? really?" for ACIV. As an AC fan, 3 was so disappointing, I was thinking, man Watch_Dogs looks so good...fast forward to now and I was pleasantly surprised by Assassin's Creed IV and I dont give a damn about Watch_Doges anymore

MSMrRound

Thank goodness my cash is reserved for the slew of Persona titles that are coming out instead of stuff like Watch_Dog...(Infamous Second Son looks pretty good though. Not springing for a PS4 just yet though)

Lunar15

Still no Fuuka Bazuuka

preorder canceled.

Thank you for breaking the news at least.

They really are. Even better since I couldn't care less about that game, so I can pretty much sit back and realize how much some people are overreacting to the dumbest, most trivial shit.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Pepsiman, you a cool dude, thanks for all the translations. How long you studied Japanese?

Five years and change! Still not technically done —you rarely ever are as a language learner, but doubly so with something intense like Japanese— but apparently I know enough at this point where it isn't a huge barrier to employment, at least!

Caladrius

They really are. Even better since I couldn't care less about that game, so I can pretty much sit back and realize how much some people are overreacting to the dumbest, most trivial shit.

I can get the whole "Not getting what was promised" thing, (especially as someone who went through the disappointment of Paper Mario 3DS -> Paper Mario: Sticker Star).

With the way people are talking though you would think that Video games are showpieces you stick on the demo loop in your living room instead of things to be played.

PK Gaming

Naoto PQ trailer: "Blah blah blah i'm a detective blah blah blah."

Kanji PQ trailer: "I'm a man's man! But i'm also into cute stuff you know. I'm also stupid. Really, really stupid.

Bonus:

Kanji: N-naoto, w-what are y-you d-doing here. (blushes profusely)

Naoto: HUH????? KANJI-KUN, WHY ARE YOU BLUSHING? ARE YOU SICK?

Mononoke

Banned
I have a confession to make. I've never played the original Persona 3, or FES. My brother actually got me into the series when he lent me his PSP a couple summers back, and told me to play P3P. It was the first time I ever got instantly hooked on a series. I put at least 120 + hours into the game. It was insanity. Anyways, I eventually went on to play Persona 4 Golden (which became my favorite game of all time), and a bunch of other Shin Megami games. Long story short though, I've gotten an itch to play Persona again.

I'm going back and forth on re-buying Persona 4 Golden (my brother moved to Japan last year, and took my physical copy). I've only beaten Persona 4 ONCE, so it would be great playing it again, and doing things differently. But I'm kind of learning towards Persona 3, since it's been so long. If I understand correctly, FES is still not playable on Vita? So my only option (given I only have a Vita), is P3P?

FES has the anime cut scenes (that I missed), and the 3D world. I must admit, going from Golden back to P3P will be hard (because the lack of cut scenes and the 3D world). But P3P also had the female character (which I did not play my first time around), and you can control people in combat. I dunno, what do you guys think I should go for?

Naoto PQ trailer: "Blah blah blah i'm a detective blah blah blah."

Kanji PQ trailer: "I'm a man's man! But i'm also into cute stuff you know. I'm also stupid. Really, really stupid.

Bonus:

Kanji: N-naoto, w-what are y-you d-doing here. (blushes profusely)

Naoto: HUH????? KANJI-KUN, WHY ARE YOU BLUSHING? ARE YOU SICK?

Koromaru's PQ Trailer: Woof, Woof, arf, arf, whimper, *pant*, *pant*, and someone saying "Good Job, Koro-chan."

PK Gaming

I have a confession to make. I've never played the original Persona 3, or FES. My brother actually got me into the series when he lent me his PSP a couple summers back, and told me to play P3P. It was the first time I ever got instantly hooked on a series. I put at least 120 + hours into the game. It was insanity. Anyways, I eventually went on to play Persona 4 Golden (which became my favorite game of all time), and a bunch of other Shin Megami games. Long story short though, I've gotten an itch to play Persona again.

I'm going back and forth on re-buying Persona 4 Golden (my brother moved to Japan last year, and took my physical copy). I've only beaten Persona 4 ONCE, so it would be great playing it again, and doing things differently. But I'm kind of learning towards Persona 3, since it's been so long. If I understand correctly, FES is still not playable on Vita? So my only option (given I only have a Vita), is P3P?

FES has the anime cut scenes (that I missed), and the 3D world. I must admit, going from Golden back to P3P will be hard (because the lack of cut scenes and the 3D world). But P3P also had the female character (which I did not play my first time around), and you can control people in combat. I dunno, what do you guys think I should go for?

If FES is absolutely unavailable for you, I think you should go with the female path in P3P. It'll be a somewhat new experience for you that comes with better writing in general, superior social links (and by extension, improved character development for the SEES members) and new music.

If you care more about story, P3FES, if you care more about gameplay, P3P.

You cannot control anyone but your mc in P3/P3FES. Every other party member is AI controlled. Social Links as the male are also half baked. There is no Female Protagonist. On the flip side, you are missing story in P3P, with missing cutscenes, no in game models doing the stuff, just text and portraits. You also don't get the 20+ hour epilogue mode called The Answer, in which you play as a different character as the protagonist, Aigis. Some things that happen in it are referenced and brought up in Persona 4 Arena, so it is canon.

There is no perfect version of P3.

Mononoke

Banned
If FES is absolutely unavailable for you, I think you should go with the female path in P3P. It'll be a somewhat new experience for you that comes with better writing in general, superior social links (and by extension, improved character development for the SEES members) and new music.

I think I read on GAF there is a PS2 emulator? Where you can buy PS2 discs, and play them on your PC? Maybe I should look into that. Don't really feel like buying a PSP to play FES. Kind of bummed that it's not playable on Vita. =/

I think I read on GAF there is a PS2 emulator? Where you can buy PS2 discs, and play them on your PC? Maybe I should look into that. Don't really feel like buying a PSP to play FES. Kind of bummed that it's not playable on Vita. =/

FES is PS2/PS3 only, not PSP or Vita.

PK Gaming

Yup, there are some solid PS2 emulators out there. However, P3's performance will suck if your computer hardware isn't up to snuff. And yeah it's lame; i'm still pining for a vita remake for P3.

Mononoke

Banned
FES is PS2/PS3 only, not PSP or Vita.

Well thanks for clearing that up. So it looks like my only option is PS2/PS3 or PC (if I can figure out the PS2 emulator. I would definitely buy the disc off Amazon though).

Yup, there are some solid PS2 emulators out there. However, P3's performance will suck if your computer hardware isn't up to snuff.

Well, I have a high end PC that could run Crysis 3 at 2560x1600p with Ultra Settings (at 30-40 FPS). It can usually ultra anything. That doesn't mean my specs will be good for emulation though (for instance, I think some emulators are heavy on CPU? And my CPU has always been a bottleneck). I guess I'll at least look into it. What's the worst that happens, I'm out $17?

It's called PCSX2. You need a decent rig to be able to play games on it though. You can emulate FES if you want, but buy the game to support the developer.

Mononoke

Banned
It's called PCSX2. You need a decent rig to be able to play games on it though. Iou can emulate FES if you want, but buy the game to support the developer.

Yeah I only want to buy it, as I've always supported Atlus and Persona stuff. :) I'll only emulate if I can use the hard disc on my PC.

Mononoke

Banned
If you do this, I suggest you buy the disc and rip it onto your hd, it runs less laggy, and this is what I did.

Good tip. Okay I just ordered the disc on Amazon, was only $17. I know I could have gotten it cheaper, but whatever. I have Prime so so it will be here quick. I'm so damn tempted to cave in and just order Persona 4 golden digitally on Vita as well.

Good tip. Okay I just ordered the disc on Amazon, was only $17. I know I could have gotten it cheaper, but whatever. I have Prime so so it will be here quick. I'm so damn tempted to cave in and just order Persona 4 golden digitally on Vita as well.

A few things to consider about P3:

The game is much colder and distant than P4, especially party memebers, where as everyone is very close friends in P4, in P3, the team is better described as co workers who are forced to work together to achieve their goal.

The pacing of P3 is bad compared to P4. The beginning is interesting, the early middle is pretty ok but not much is happening, the middle is boring, the late game gets good, then the very late game is so bad, then the climax and the finale are better than anything in P4 and some say, the best content in the Persona series.

The male protagonist only has slinks with the female members of his team, SEES. All the other slinks are various males and females around Tatsumi Port Island. These slinks as a whole are not as good as P4's, and every female cannot be completed without romance, so if you want to rank MAX numerous girls, be prepared to cheat on all the girls lol. slinks, unlike P4, can be reversed and eventually broken, if you neglect to hang out with someone for a long time, say something they hate, or with the girls, get caught spending time with other girls, once you MAX a girl, their slinks remains forever.

Do not play The Answer until you beat The Journey.

The Answer has no difficulty select, and is stuck to hard mode. There is no slinks, calendar system, persona compendium, no fusion spells, no weapon fusion, or other things. It is pure dungeon crawling with plot in between dungeon areas.

Team mates are AI controlled, you can change their behavior, but not directly control them, find which behaviors best suit the situation you are in, and you should be fine, but be wary of MARIN KARIN, Mitsuru has certain behaviors that make her almost never cast this dreaded spell.

8868_a504.jpeg

marin_f_karin_by_c0baltjuce-d4vbqyi.jpg

marin_karin_by_turtwig123-d31ud1a.jpg

Top Bottom