• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Mononoke

Banned
A few things to consider about P3:

The game is much colder and distant than P4, especially party memebers, where as everyone is very close friends in P4, in P3, the team is better described as co workers who are forced to work together to achieve their goal.

The pacing of P3 is bad compared to P4. The beginning is interesting, the early middle is pretty ok but not much is happening, the middle is boring, the late game gets good, then the very late game is so bad, then the climax and the finale are better than anything in P4 and some say, the best content in the Persona series.

The male protagonist only has slinks with the female members of his team, SEES. All the other slinks are various males and females around Tatsumi Port Island. These slinks as a whole are not as good as P4's, and every female cannot be completed without romance, so if you want to rank MAX numerous girls, be prepared to cheat on all the girls lol. slinks, unlike P4, can be reversed and eventually broken, if you neglect to hang out with someone for a long time, say something they hate, or with the girls, get caught spending time with other girls, once you MAX a girl, their slinks remains forever.

Do not play The Answer until you beat The Journey.

The Answer has no difficulty select, and is stuck to hard mode. There is no slinks, calendar system, persona compendium, no fusion spells, no weapon fusion, or other things. It is pure dungeon crawling with plot in between dungeon areas.

Team mates are AI controlled, you can change their behavior, but not directly control them, find which behaviors best suit the situation you are in, and you should be fine, but be wary of MARIN KARIN, Mitsuru has certain behaviors that make her almost never cast this dreaded spell.

8868_a504.jpeg

marin_f_karin_by_c0baltjuce-d4vbqyi.jpg

marin_karin_by_turtwig123-d31ud1a.jpg

I've played P3P already. And I loved the game, and agree with a lot of the comments you've made. I just haven't played FES. It's been like 4 years (I think) since I've played P3P, so that is why I want to play it again (just because the distance I have between it). I think it will make it more fresh.

Acid08

Banned
Buddha just need to put that post in a text file for easy copying when we get the "Which version of P3 should I play" question.

Buddha just need to put that post in a text file for easy copying when we get the "Which version of P3 should I play" question.

That's a great idea. When I get back home in two days, I'll make a SO YOU WANNA PLAY PERSONA thing that covers the entire series.

PK Gaming

That's a fairly solid beginners guide, but I spotted a few inaccuracies:

-Was rereleased in 2012 on Playstation Portable as a full remake with remixed music, enhanced graphics and redrawn art...but this version was not released in English due to disappointing sales of previous remakes

Nich specifically said that it wasn't due to sales (reasons unknown, but we can probably surmise it had to do with the game's messy programming, which made it harder to translate)

Most newbie-friendly Persona title (Persona 4)

That title goes to Persona 2:IS. What could be more noob friendly than a game that handouts ultra powerful Personas, and where it's almost impossible to die until the 2nd half? Fusion spells trivialize the game. Actually, P4 had some legitimately difficult bosses (vanilla Shadow Yukiko, vanilla Shadow Kanji, The baby, Kunino Sagiri)

Probably the easiest of the Persona games if you don't play it on hard (Persona 4 Golden)

Still nope! Even at it's easiest, P4G is still harder than P2:IS.

The best 5th party member is Reiji

It's Elly.

Dantis

He means you're a Naoto fanboy, not that hard to figure out.

BAH.

I've played P3P already. And I loved the game, and agree with a lot of the comments you've made. I just haven't played FES. It's been like 4 years (I think) since I've played P3P, so that is why I want to play it again (just because the distance I have between it). I think it will make it more fresh.

WHY WOULD YOU QUOTE THIS HUGE FUCKING POST?

But seriously, would you mind removing the images from your quote, please?

Elly is best everything. I'm not a huge fan of
the way she looks in P2 though :(

Maki > Elly. Particularly when it comes to P2 designs.

SamVimes

That title goes to Persona 2:IS. What could be more noob friendly than a game that handouts ultra powerful Personas, and where it's almost impossible to die until the 2nd half? Fusion spells trivialize the game. Actually, P4 had some legitimately difficult bosses (vanilla Shadow Yukiko, vanilla Shadow Kanji, The baby, Kunino Sagiri)

I played p4 for the first time recently and the difficulty is really weird, one of those games that start out really hard and gets easier the more you play it. Dungeon crawling before you get the fox and a couple of upgrades is a complete pain and i still think the hardest boss in the game is the optional one at Yukiko's Castle, i had no issues with the final boss in the true ending.

The optional boss in heaven was really dumb too, i found out while fishing for weaknesses that if he can absorb an ice hit in a turn he just won't do anything so i just kept casting mabufu with Chie and hitting away with the other guys.

In comparison p3p (only version i played) felt much more organic with progressively harder bosses and an hardass final boss.

I should add that i played p4 at normal difficulty (because i played a bit of Yukiko's castle and it seemed way too hard) and p3p at expert.

CorvoSol

P3P AUGUST SUMMER FUN

Makoto went to the festival with Yuko. Maybe I could've scored someone else, but eh, Yuko is like, the one girl on the island who doesn't have crippling issues so she'll do. Clara went with Junpei. If Junpei fessed up to having feelings for her he might actually win her over, largely because the long con of "I am a sweet guy who has no ulterior motives here" has worked in his favor. Unfortunately Junpei has developed a questionable interest in a character who was rejected by Tetsuya Nomura for looking too damn wacky.

Hope Estheim found his way into the game, and I could say volumes about that but I won't.

Also the best social link in the game is spending time with a doggy. Meanwhile fat kid is trying to convert me the Church of Jesus Cholesterol, where when we get full we go to ZA PARADISU, which, considering the number of trips to the bathroom, means either a vomitorium or horrible, painful, frequent diarrhea.

P3 has a Social Link that manages to combine cults, bullying, being a hideous glutton and explosive diarrhea/projectile vomiting into one single experience.

Reiji is the best 5th because 1, while he looks stupid in p1, he turns out totally awesome. 2, he adds extra story to the game and what he adds is really good. 3, if you take him, then you can take Eriko and Brown in The Snow Queen Quest? Allowing you to have used every party member in just one go of each campaign. MC, Mark, Maki, Nanjo and Reiji in SEBEC, and MC, Ayase, Yukino, Brown and Eriko in The Snow Queen.

P1 Yukino is really cool, but P2 Yukino is really cool and cute.

PK Gaming

P3P AUGUST SUMMER FUN

Makoto went to the festival with Yuko. Maybe I could've scored someone else, but eh, Yuko is like, the one girl on the island who doesn't have crippling issues so she'll do. Clara went with Junpei. If Junpei fessed up to having feelings for her he might actually win her over, largely because the long con of "I am a sweet guy who has no ulterior motives here" has worked in his favor. Unfortunately Junpei has developed a questionable interest in a character who was rejected by Tetsuya Nomura for looking too damn wacky.

Hope Estheim found his way into the game, and I could say volumes about that but I won't.

Also the best social link in the game is spending time with a doggy. Meanwhile fat kid is trying to convert me the Church of Jesus Cholesterol, where when we get full we go to ZA PARADISU, which, considering the number of trips to the bathroom, means either a vomitorium or horrible, painful, frequent diarrhea.

P3 has a Social Link that manages to combine cults, bullying, being a hideous glutton and explosive diarrhea/projectile vomiting into one single experience.

LOL

I'm convinced that your Persona summaries are one of the best things that came out of this thread.

CorvoSol

LOL

I'm convinced that your Persona summaries are one of the best things that came out of this thread.

I'm pretty proud of The Church of Jesus Cholesterol. I can't decide if it's actually clever or if it's so not clever that it's funny. Whichever the case, though, I can't help but think it's funny.

Didn't Square Enix publish a Persona in Europe?

Square Enix did for Persona 4, NIS America published P4G.
While Koei did Persona 3 and FES, and Ghostlight did P3P.
And Ghostlight did most of the SMT games over there, with the exception of Arena published by Zen United. And Devil Summoner: Raidou 2 and Strange Journey not being released over there.

Musolf815

I swear Persona 4 Golden's soundtrack is one of the most amazing pieces of work I've ever heard in a video game. I seriously cannot get enough of the frigging songs.

The intro is just ohhhh man.

Yuuup. All amazing stuff.

Ahhh saw your post that you haven't heard snowflakes.. YOU GOTTA. There is also an amazing boss battle theme during the winter parts, I'd recommend that too.

I know it has been said many times here but Dangan Ronpa is awesome. It's scratching the same kinda itch that Persona games do. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who posts in here.

YES. It's absorbing most of my game time now.

Hey I just thought of something. If Atlus did a big Persona 4 collection for a console, how would you have it be; like a big box set, or a new version where the story is played in order?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I know it has been said many times here but Dangan Ronpa is awesome. It's scratching the same kinda itch that Persona games do. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who posts in here.

Brooooo

I already platinumed that shit.

Step yo game up.

Top Bottom