• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

You're right. It is.

Nope. :)

It doesn't really impact the story in a significant way, honestly.

I'm sure it doesn't, but you know how in Final Fantasy 6 (WORLD OF RUIN SPOILERS)
You can actually keep Cid from dying? Well I didn't know that as a kid, and it broke my heart when I found out I'd been letting the old man die all that time. If I can pull out a stop to save this dude's life, I will. Cuz that scene with Akihiko crying man. That scene was harsh.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm sure it doesn't, but you know how in Final Fantasy 6 (WORLD OF RUIN SPOILERS)
You can actually keep Cid from dying? Well I didn't know that as a kid, and it broke my heart when I found out I'd been letting the old man die all that time. If I can pull out a stop to save this dude's life, I will. Cuz that scene with Akihiko crying man. That scene was harsh.

But in FFVI, saving him basically made people miss one of the really good scenes of that game. lol

Sophia

Really. It doesn't even impact the story that much. The alternative scene with Akihiko is just as sad, still full of DEM FEELS, and makes me cry. :(

P3P October 4th

If anyone ever asks, Ken included, regardless of whether or not I'm cynical jackass Makoto or kind and energetic Clara, I WISH KEN HAD DIED INSTEAD OF SHINJIRO.

J0a60HU.gif

Oh, you want to discuss what to do with Ken, Mitsuru? Well how about we LYNCH THE LITTLE FUCKER, HUH? OR MAYBE DRAW AND QUARTER THE SHIT? NO? WHY DON'T WE FLAY THIS SICK BASTARD ALIVE AND MAKE HIM EAT HIS FUCKING SKIN. You're a mobster, aren't you, Mitsuru? CEMENT SHOES WILL DO NICE FOR HIM.

Namatame? Namatame WHO. Here's a little bastard I would kill AND NEVER THINK TWICE ABOUT EVER.

This scene is so much more impactful in P3FES

CorvoSol

But in FFVI, saving him basically made people miss one of the really good scenes of that game. lol

BUT I STILL FELT BAD.

Really. It doesn't even impact the story that much. The alternative scene with Akihiko is just as sad, still full of DEM FEELS, and makes me cry. :(

Sure, but since I'm doing 2 playthroughs should I not enjoy the full difference between them?

This scene is so much more impactful in P3FES

As much as I love FeMC, I confess that I really do wish this game had the actual character models and not a bunch of text boxes telling me what happened.

I'm pretty sure most of the guys here could empathize with Junpei (and Yosuke by extension)

I mean his character concept is literally:

That guy you knew in high school who has his own set of insecurities, such as wanting to feel loved by others.

I relate to him because I myself have an inferiority complex, and I know how much of a toll that can take on your emotions and social interactions. That crap friggin' hurts, and it's not something you can just "get over" or grow out of either.

@Corvo: Them feels, man. Be sure to
save him in New Game+ so that you get a special scene with him near the end of the game.

CorvoSol

Fuck New Game +. I'm sick. I have a fever. I have to go to school tomorrow anyway.

I'm not going to sleep until I MAKE this happen.

PK Gaming

It was harsh, but it was really touching! For what it's worth, the awakening scene where Shinji lives is nowhere near as good by comparison.
(P3 spoilers)

One of the best scenes in P3, imo.

EDIT:
Sure, but since I'm doing 2 playthroughs should I not enjoy the full difference between them?

DAMN YOU HAVE A POINT. Well keep at it! Do you have any past saves?

BUT I STILL FELT BAD.

As much as I love FeMC, I confess that I really do wish this game had the actual character models and not a bunch of text boxes telling me what happened.

If you want to see how this scene is handled between them, here is a what it looks like in P3FES, the cutscene part anyways.

http://safeshare.tv/w/qHrLlrtLJm

It is a youtube video but I put it in there to avoid any stupid related video spoilers.

Meia

P3P October 4th

If anyone ever asks, Ken included, regardless of whether or not I'm cynical jackass Makoto or kind and energetic Clara, I WISH KEN HAD DIED INSTEAD OF SHINJIRO.

J0a60HU.gif

Oh, you want to discuss what to do with Ken, Mitsuru? Well how about we LYNCH THE LITTLE FUCKER, HUH? OR MAYBE DRAW AND QUARTER THE SHIT? NO? WHY DON'T WE FLAY THIS SICK BASTARD ALIVE AND MAKE HIM EAT HIS FUCKING SKIN. You're a mobster, aren't you, Mitsuru? CEMENT SHOES WILL DO NICE FOR HIM.

Namatame? Namatame WHO. Here's a little bastard I would kill AND NEVER THINK TWICE ABOUT EVER.

And NOW you understand the hatred for
Ken.

But yeah, the scene with Akihiko doesn't hardly change at all even dialogue wise, maybe one line, if you max his link before that event(and hanging out with him after maxing it is how you turn the link romantic). But I am exactly like you with Cid in FFVI. That scene with Celes jumping off the damn cliff always brings a tear to my eye.

And if we're admitting who we relate to, I can pretty much say almost the entire damn P4 cast, with Fuuka sprinkled in from 3 as well. It's probably why P4 resonated so strongly with me to begin with.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
P3P October 4th

J0a60HU.gif

Welcome to the club.

I really don't understand the hate for Ken damn, I mean he's a fucking kid who's 11 and had
his mother killed at a young age, shit if I was him I would be out for revenge especially if someone killed a very close person of mine. I bet everyone of you would do the same if you were in his shoes because losing someone can make you do something you regret.
So stop hating because he had a good reason why he did that.

CorvoSol

I really don't understand the hate for Ken damn, I mean he's a fucking kid who's 11 and had
his mother killed at a young age, shit if I was him I would be out for revenge especially if someone killed a very close person of mine. I bet everyone of you would do the same if you were in his shoes because losing someone can make you do something you regret.

No, no he did not. No, no I would not. Would I get mad? Sure I would. Would I hate the one who did it? Yeah, probably? Would I
try to kill them and then complain that it was unfair that I didn't get to after they'd taken two bullets for me? No. Because I'm not a soulless cunt.

Lemstar

Did you graduate top of your class in the Navy Seals?

No, no he did not. No, no I would not. Would I get mad? Sure I would. Would I hate the one who did it? Yeah, probably? Would I
try to kill them and then complain that it was unfair that I didn't get to after they'd taken two bullets for me? No. Because I'm not a soulless cunt.

I still stand by my point because
for all we know his mother could be the only special person he had and if someone took that from you and you knew who did it, that can be real damaging.And we know hatred and vengeance can cloud ones judgement
especially for a 11 year old kid. But oh well if that's how you feel I guess I can't change that.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Yeah, you're right
Murder/suicide is always the right way to go about things to people who've done you wrong by accident

Yeah, you're right
Murder/suicide is always the right way to go about things to people who've done you wrong by accident

I understand that what he did is not something that can be easily forgiven, but what I'm trying to say is that he's just a kid who was emotionally broken so yeah.

CorvoSol

P3P October 4th spoilers.

I found a cheat code that allowed you to do things without advancing the calendar, permitting me to go up the uhm, 3 S-Link ranks I needed plus
pretty damn sure girl just lost her virginity to a guy who is about to get shot, which adds its own drama in its own way
in the space of a single game night. It's a little unfair, but since this is the one time I intend to break the rules, and there's a certain amount of romance involved in the concept of
stopping time to save a man's life
, well, I think I can live with this singular game play sin.

for all we know his mother could be the only special person he had and if someone took that from you and you knew who did it, that can be real damaging.And we know hatred and vengeance can cloud ones judgement
especially for a 11 year old kid. But oh well if that's how you feel I guess I can't change that.

I'm no killer.
Even if someone took someone I loved away from me, I couldn't bring myself to kill them with my own hands. And I wouldn't bemoan the loss of that option after they took bullets for me.

It's one thing to want revenge. It's quite another to try and take it. And it's still something far beyond that to complain about it the way he did under those circumstances. There really is 0 puzzle behind why people would hate this character after this scene. I ain't saying he's beyond redemption, but it's pretty hard not to despise his loathsome parrot guts at the moment.

EMT0

Banned
P3P October 4th

J0a60HU.gif

Time to quote myself again

EMT said:
You say it like it's a bad thing. Yes, Ken's flawed, but that's a good thing in a game about being flawed and improving on your flaws. People just hate him because his flaws
got Shinji killed in the end
. But srsly. He grew up an orphan thanks to
his mother being killed by the same fool people complain about him getting killed
. I find Ken's flaws and motives understandable, and if Persona's all about self-reflection and growing as a person, Ken does that in spades by the time the game ends. He's on par with Yukari in terms of how much character development goes into him. The difference is that the delivery for Ken is crap, and Yukari gets a lot more screentime. But that's due more to Persona 3's pacing issues than anything.

And to quote myself again again. People hate Ken because
he got their brooding boytoy killed. Not to mention that said brooding boytoy killed his mother and got off with a smack on the wrist in reality.

But hey, hate train. The Ken Hate Force is the one thing I truly can't stand about Persona fans at large.

It doesn't matter how young you are;
unless Ken's mother was really bad at parenting, he should've known that revenge killing for something that was essentially an accident is not socially or morally acceptable. The fact that he was disappointed that Shinji gave his friggin' life to save him only confirms that he's a petty, obsessed twerp whose megalomaniacal tendencies far outweigh anything positive he's ever done.

Also, he clearly mentions being taken care of by his grandparents at one point, so it's not like the death of his mother left him completely alone or whatever. In the end, he still had more than Shinji ever had, and yet acts like he's the most tragic , wronged person on the planet.

Sophia

But Aigis doesn't eat.

But she's late for school and you gotta have the toast in your mouth. Besides, how many times does the person running actually eat it anyhow? :p

unless Ken's mother was really bad at parenting, he should've known that revenge killing for something that was essentially an accident is not socially or morally acceptable. The fact that he was disappointed that Shinji gave his friggin' life to save him only confirms that he's a petty, obsessed twerp whose megalomaniacal tendencies far outweigh anything positive he's ever done.

Also, he clearly mentions being taken care of by his grandparents at one point, so it's not like the death of his mother left him completely alone or whatever. In the end, he still had more than Shinji ever had, and yet acts like he's the most tragic , wronged person on the planet.

Hoo boy...
The localization strikes once again. The Japanese version is clear as day that he feels remorseful over Shjiniro's death. He didn't even really want Shinjiro's life by the end originally. :\

CorvoSol

People hate Ken because
he got their brooding boytoy killed. Not to mention that said brooding boytoy killed his mother and got off with a smack on the wrist in reality.

But hey, hate train. The Ken Hate Force is the one thing I truly can't stand about Persona fans at large.

P3P October Spoilers.

Can't say I particularly disagree with your assessment, but I'd like to point out that, unlike Final Fantasy 13, this time around the dude in the beanie was likeable. Ken never stood much chance of being popular with me anyway, though.

For what it is worth, I will do his Social Link. Shinjiro's Social Link and Junpei's Social Link did a great job of developing their characters compared to their Male side of things. If Ken's Social Link can pay off to this same or similar degree, I will lessen my dislike of him. I poke fun at Yukari for being such a tsundere but Social Links have even lessened my dislike of her.

On the one hand, it's not hard for me to see why Ken's legacy is what it is in the series, since P3 kinda neglects its male characters and until this exact moment in the game Ken has had no real, defining character trait what so ever.

On the other hand, it's also not as easy to justify since
Shinjiro's character wouldn't be nearly as likeable without P3P's development for him, and he'd have no real, defining traits until he was bleeding out on the streets.

So, if you will grant me a momentary amnesty, let us call my reaction to Ken at the moment a "Heat of the Moment" reaction, if you will.

EMT0

Banned

Revenge killing is morally or socially inexcusable when
no justice is carried out and the killer is free?

Top Bottom