• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

kewlmyc

Indeed.

The writing in DanganRonpa feels more in line with Corpse Party and 999 to me so far. I think the Persona comparisons that people keep making are a bit off, in my opinion. People probably make them just because of the vibrant colour scheme (Which isn't really a Persona thing, but people think it is because of P4) and the fact that it's a group of high school students in a high school.

I appreciate Persona's writing for what it is. Like I say, it feels genuine.

Wouldn't you just call that depth? Like each character has more depth than the average Japanese video game character? Seems like a better fit than genuine. Like all the other characters are fake or something.

Lunar15

I've been cooking since I was little, so "not being able to cook" is a bit of a foreign concept to me. That being said, I can see how it would be scary to people who aren't used to it. Not sure why Atlus is obsessed with having girls that can't cook, is that some kind of trope?

Just stick to the recipe and you can do it!
Also, practice.

Meia

Indeed.

The writing in DanganRonpa feels more in line with Corpse Party and 999 to me so far. I think the Persona comparisons that people keep making are a bit off, in my opinion. People probably make them just because of the vibrant colour scheme (Which isn't really a Persona thing, but people think it is because of P4) and the fact that it's a group of high school students in a high school.

It's tricky. The characters backstories and stuff are also really well done, but for the most part you don't find that stuff out til they kind of check out, one way or the other.

You do "social links" with them, but you don't really find out the meat of who they are until they're killed/about to be executed. I think that they have this level of complexity is where the Persona comparisons come from, but imagine in P4 hanging out with someone, getting brief glimpses into them, then only when you confront their shadow do you really understand them, only for them to die immediately after.

Sophia

Indeed.

Having recently listened extensively to the Japanese audio to Persona 3, especially through the drama CDs, I can kind of understand. The voice work and script are very different from say... a shounen style anime. They actually speak closer to how actual Japanese people speak. Less overacting, hamming it up, stiffing. Lots of mumbling, cutting of sentences, trailing, etc. It's a very natural feeling.

I think it plays a significant factor in why Persona 3 and Persona 4 have such good localizations too. When the actors can actually perform instead of trying to imitate the original performance, it does wonders.

Wouldn't you just call that depth? Like each character has more depth than the average Japanese video game character? Seems like a better fit than genuine. Like all the other characters are fake or something.

No, there's a genuine difference in the writing styles. It is a bit more obvious if you have an understanding of Japanese, even a beginner's level like mine.

If you want to try and hear the difference, watch some footage of Persona 3 in Japanese. There are a lot of undubbed videos on YouTube to give you an idea.

Just started that whole November business in P3.

Where the heck was the dog during that whole goofy crucifix scene? He only appears when he grabs the device from Ikutsuki, but, uh...

So far I will definitely agree with something someone said here earlier about the pacing of P3--nothing happens for months at a time, and then, suddenly, everything happens. I figured something was up with Ikutsuki, but didn't expect Eyepatch Dad to show up for the second time in the entire game and then get killed.

I am so overleveled that I actually felt bad for how hard I kicked Takaya and Jin's ass. I didn't even get to see what Jin's Persona looked like... if he has one. I have no idea.

Akihiko called the Sea Urchin sushi--I got my eye on him.

PK Gaming

Where the heck was the dog during that whole goofy crucifix scene? He only appears when he grabs the device from Ikutsuki, but, uh...

So far I will definitely agree with something someone said here earlier about the pacing of P3--nothing happens for months at a time, and then, suddenly, everything happens. I figured something was up with Ikutsuki, but didn't expect Eyepatch Dad to show up for the second time in the entire game and then get killed.

I am so overleveled that I actually felt bad for how hard I kicked Takaya and Jin's ass. I didn't even get to see what Jin's Persona looked like... if he has one. I have no idea.

(P3 spoilers)

CorvoSol

You'd just make prank calls to demons all day on the bone phone.

I kinda wonder what Igor and the Velvet room gang do for fun when the hero isn't around.

I sure hope that one of those is Sun and on your male route, another one of those is Hermit! Those were probably my two favorites, and funnily enough they both tend to hog Sundays. Time's running out for those ones!

I haven't even figured out who Sun is supposed to be, and I'm only rank 2 Hermit at the moment. Most of my SLinks are people at school.

Lol, I completely forgot that.

It's yet another s.link in a long line of s.links that fell short of my expectations.

It could've been fine if it had focused on a single issue or bothered to resolve all the issues it began, but the end of it felt really dissatisfying.

arue

It's because Ikutsuki is a dumb man that didn't realize dogs can be smart too, I guess that's why he didn't even bother to crucify Koro.

That event is also one of the reasons why Koromaru rocks.

I kinda wonder what Igor and the Velvet room gang do for fun when the hero isn't around.

I haven't even figured out who Sun is supposed to be, and I'm only rank 2 Hermit at the moment. Most of my SLinks are people at school.

The Sun S.Link is one of the best in P3. He's available after you reached Rank 3 of Hanged Man S.Link. He hangs out in the shrine every Sunday.

CorvoSol

Oh okay, I found him in FeMC and I have the requisite item. The problem is that on Male Side I haven't even found the soda yet. I suppose you have to take Koro for a walk to get it, and now that I don't have to study every night to impress a billionaire super model psychic swordswoman, I suppose I have time to take my dog for a walk.

I've got a question, which social link did you think was the worst in Persona 3 and 4.

tumblr_m2x2o51eXL1qdm6n2.png

CorvoSol

I've got a question, which social link did you think was the worst in Persona 3 and 4.

In P3 so far it's Nozomi. Kenji sucked, but at least his arc was on topic the whole time. Nozomi was just all over the place.

In P4 it's the Fox. At least Margaret puts out at the end.

Caladrius

The worst in P3 were definitely Kenji and Nozomi. Keisuke's is also dreadfully boring. (he gets a free pass for being cute.)

P4's worst were probably Ayane, Eri and Daisuke. I'm with MSMrRound in that I don't count the Fox at all.

arue

Oh okay, I found him in FeMC and I have the requisite item. The problem is that on Male Side I haven't even found the soda yet. I suppose you have to take Koro for a walk to get it, and now that I don't have to study every night to impress a billionaire super model psychic swordswoman, I suppose I have time to take my dog for a walk.

Are you talking about the prerequisite item for Maiko or the Sun S.Link guy?

The soda (Mad Bull) is required to start the girl's (Hanged Man) S.Link and it's available in the dorm. You also need takoyaki from Iwatodai Station. If you haven't got that already.

To start the Sun S.Link, you need to talk to the thin young man in the shrine so he can mention that he lost his pen. Then, talk to Koro at night (you don't need to walk with him) and he'll give you the lost fountain pen.

P3: Nozomi/Kenji
P4: I'm not sure because I never played it, but I'd say the fox because he's more like a side quest than a S.Link.

CorvoSol

A kiss is putting out? I'm so sorry...

I am sorry that I am not a cool guy like you who scores all day every day.

Are you talking about the prerequisite item for Maiko or the Sun S.Link guy?

The soda (Mad Bull) is required to start the girl's (Hanged Man) S.Link and it's available in the dorm. You also need takoyaki from Iwatodai Station. If you haven't got that already.

To start the Sun S.Link, you need to talk to the thin young man in the shrine so he can mention that he lost his pen. Then, talk to Koro at night (you don't need to walk with him) and he'll give you the lost fountain pen.

Oh, I didn't realize I could just buy the soda somewhere, haha. That's what I'm missing on the male side of things, though.

Acid08

Banned
P4: I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THEM BALLS
nah, Daisuke's was worse.

I actually don't dislike any of the P4 links really, some I just found kinda boring. Still tolerable though.

Oh and if we're talking P4G then Marie is far and away the worst thing to ever happen to these games.

P3: same as everyone else(Kenji and Nozomi) but also Chihiro the most fucking boring character ever.

CorvoSol

I dunno, Chihiro doesn't seem that bad. She's not exactly the most exciting, but at least she's not "GET FAT JOIN CULT SAVE ME FROM BEING BEAT UP" SLink.

The most sexist character in Persona. In that he is the only one who displays any true sexism, even if its very slight and just a traditional older generation Japanese male view on females.

Katsuya_Suou_render.png

That monster. Trying to arrest all those demons.

kewlmyc

I am sorry that I am not a cool guy like you who scores all day every day.
Apology accepted. We're talking about dating sims right?

I dunno, Chihiro doesn't seem that bad. She's not exactly the most exciting, but at least she's not "GET FAT JOIN CULT SAVE ME FROM BEING BEAT UP" SLink.
I liked Chihiro, wasn't aware that she got any hate. Maybe she was a little too obsessive for some people.

MSMrRound

Chihiro could have been our P3 Navigator. Just reminding you guys.

How could anyone hate on Chihiro when there's Nozomi, Kenji and Ken to hate on.

At least Yosuke bro knows the Chihiro fanclub is where it's at.

Necrovex

People only compared it to Persona because of the "social links".

At least I did, there's nothing else "Persona" about it.

That's why I called DanganRonpa part Persona, purely because of the social links.

Apology accepted. We're talking about dating sims right?

I liked Chihiro, wasn't aware that she got any hate. Maybe she was a little too obsessive for some people.

Chihiro really bored me. I had more fun with Kenji's SL than with her.

EMT0

Banned
I completed Nozomi's Social Link, and I have no idea what the hell happened in it. At all. Other than he likes to pig out and has some ridiculous self-bestowed title.

Acid08

Banned
I completed Nozomi's Social Link, and I have no idea what the hell happened in it. At all. Other than he likes to pig out and has some ridiculous self-bestowed title.
I thought the stuff about his brother was actually pretty sad. But he used it as an excuse to be a total garbage human being so it evens out I guess.

CorvoSol

No way man he is licensed i know because of this greasy paper he gave me as proof of our friendship.

Corvo please don't tell me you've been spending your Sundays studying instead of raising the Hermit S. Link. It's one of the best in the game.

Must have nice when Atlus realized they could just make S. Links for all the major characters and not have to come up with crap like Nozomi or Kenji ever again.

kewlmyc

As we talked about in IRC, it is utterly insane that there are fourteen drama CDs for Persona 3.

The one I want to see is the one *P3 ending spoilers*
The one that takes place after or during Minato's funeral.

I wish someone would translate it or teach me Japanese.

Sophia

The one I want to see is the one *P3 ending spoilers*
The one that takes place after or during Minato's funeral.

I wish someone would translate it or teach me Japanese.

... I wasn't aware there was a Drama CD with that content? Or are you expressing your desire for such a CD?

kewlmyc

... I wasn't aware there was a Drama CD with that content? Or are you expressing your desire for such a CD?

I'm pretty sure I saw one with this description in the past, but I've been know to have poor memory. Let me look it up.

EDIT: The CD drama -Moonlight- links the events of P3 to the Answer, so I think this is the one that I was talking about. Apparently it's already been translated, so I'll check it out after work. After looking it up, it seems to be more about
Labrys
than what I mentioned. Someone on /vg/ lied to me then. I would assume if it links the events of P3 to the Answer, it would deal with
MC's death, but I guess not. Disappointing. Nice to see where Labrys come from though.

Top Bottom