• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Trigger

I just realized: P5 is the first persona I'm hyped for before launch. I've resigned myself to watching trailers, but I'll keep myself from reading previews and seeing "too much". However, that full soundtrack is going to hit the web with the Japanese release comes out and that's going to be nearly impossible to deprive myself of. God.... the localization better come quick!

Yeah, I won't front. I'm probably going to wear the P5 soundtrack out long before it releases in the States. I can't resist new Persona music.

Yeah all I got out of it was "This sure must be great to SOMEONE."

Now, the trip to Inaba in P3P. THAT was great.

this is not a thing in P3FES.

Now you see why people say there is no perfect version of P3? Even though I still think P3FES is superior, it is also inferior in a lot of aspects too, but I'd take P3FES over P3P.

Funnily enough, Chihiro's voice was actually who they got to be Fuuka in Arena. Atlus sure seems to love their casting overlaps.

Well TBF, ATLUS tends to use PCB Productions (they've used others mind you, but this one pops up the most frequently in the game credits of ATLUS games), for voice acting in a lot of their localizations. So it's inevitable that you'll have a lot of casting overlap between games.

EDIT: I just looked at production credit list that PCB Productions has for VA production involved with games. And yeah most ATLUS games, even if they're uncredited. Has been done with PCB, all the way back to the PS1 days.
Here's a list of their credits from their website, if your curious.

Nachos

Well TBF, ATLUS tends to use PCB Productions (they've used others mind you, but this one pops up the most frequently in the game credits of ATLUS games), for voice acting in a lot of their localizations. So it's inevitable that you'll have a lot of casting overlap between games.

EDIT: I just looked at production credit list that PCB Productions has for VA production involved with games. And yeah most ATLUS games, even if they're uncredited. Has been done with PCB, all the way back to the PS1 days.
Here's a list of their credits from their website, if your curious.

I'm well-aware of PCB, but they have nothing to do with the actual casting. Atlus isn't like Funimation in the sense that they do all their production in-house, mostly using their own stable of actors; they really have no real reason to stick to some pre-defined list, particularly when it's not like PCB would mandate one.

Since Atlus joints are technically classified as non-union, despite them still allowing some union folks in, a good amount of the castings are going to be booked via the talents' agents sending out demo reels; in some cases, there might not even be an audition period. The others are done when actors are recommended by other talents already booked, such as when Sam Riegel recommended his sister for Marie. In these cases, it can be hard for the people who are in charge of deciding what voices go with which characters, particularly when they usually neither have the time nor the budget to extend that period out.

To give you an idea, the recommended length of a voice demo is a minute; most people don't listen for even ten secondsbefore making a judgment. The reason being, most projects can't afford to laze about. VO can be a mess, but it still strikes me as odd that they wouldn't try to differentiate their characters more. They're clearly not against the idea of bringing in new blood, such as when they got Michelle Ann Dunphy, who got her start in amateur voice acting communities, for Margaret. So it just strikes me as odd that they're constraining themselves like this, when there's actually a pretty wide pool they can choose from, even if not all of them have a ton of credits to their name.

Some things are unavoidable, especially when decisions need to be made without knowing what the other side of Atlus will do years down the line, but some of their decisions just seem funny to me, especially when some seemed to have obvious and, (in my opinion), better fixes.

I just hope the major characters for 5 don't have any returning talents, unless they can really Maj their voices well.

Meia

I'm being replaced with the villain because my character's so bad.

Am I like the ONLY one that actually likes Ryuko or something? :(

It's going to be hard to not get the P5 soundtrack before the game proper comes out over here. Honestly I usually prefer to have some kind of image in mind for each track, but this may be an exception.

I am desperately looking forward to the soundtrack for PQ though. The more I hear the original and remixed P3/P4 songs by watching the trailers, the more I want it.

And yeah, we need P3P's additions with P3FES's presentation. Also would be nice to not have slapdash follow-up attacks from each of the 3's characters in battle, but fitting ones like P4's. Bonus points for also incorporating some of the fun stuff from the drama CDs into the game, cause why not?

Trigger

this is not a thing in P3FES.

Now you see why people say there is no perfect version of P3? Even though I still think P3FES is superior, it is also inferior in a lot of aspects too, but I'd take P3FES over P3P.

If only we had a version that merged both FES and P3P's selling points...

Atlus pls

So P3 has some god awful voice acting (looking at you Fuuka and Ken), but I've literally just beaten (HUGE P3 SPOILERS)
nyx avatar
, and in the scene that follows, Bespectacled Man.... Bravo sir, I never knew a vocal performance could be that bad!

Squire

Banned
I gather we're discussing the reuse of actors in P5? I would say to anticipate that. Anyone who watches a moderate amount of anime dubs knows that's how it is. A project like like, say, DanganRonpa, which casts mostly unknowns is practically unheard of. It is absolutely the exception and not the rule.

I have to say HS, I think Michelle is a really bad example, honestly. Margaret has so little voiced dialogue, you're basically casting a miscellaneous bit part. Ditto for Marie. They'd never cast a main party member, villain, or prominent side character (like Nanako or Dojima) that way.

I don't mind side characters or more minor characters having reused voices, but I'll be pretty disappointed if I hear any of the main character voices as the main characters in P5. It wouldn't be so bad if they can do a very different sounding voice, but I guess what I'm saying is no Johnny Yong Bosch or Yuri Lowenthal please.

Random Persona 3 thought of the moment--Mitsuru sets a really poor example as the student council president when it comes to the dress code. I don't think any one thing of her outfit is standard issue.

CorvoSol

Random Persona 3 thought of the moment--Mitsuru sets a really poor example as the student council president when it comes to the dress code. I don't think any one thing of her outfit is standard issue.

Is any party member actually in standard dress? No one but Yukari has that pink uniform. Junpei's hat? Akihiko's bright red vest? Aigis' headband? Main dude, just like Yosuke, somehow gets away with wearing headphones during class at all times.

At least Mitsuru can argue that she doesn't know how plebs are supposed to dress.

*You need to be a genius just to date her*
*She doesn't know how to eat ramen.*

Mitsuru actually doesn't know how to dress, supposedly a company stylist chooses her clothes for her.

Fuuka is... closer to the standard than the others. In the winter at least. Kind of.

Acid08

Banned
Is any party member actually in standard dress? No one but Yukari has that pink uniform. Junpei's hat? Akihiko's bright red vest? Aigis' headband? Main dude, just like Yosuke, somehow gets away with wearing headphones during class at all times.

At least Mitsuru can argue that she doesn't know how plebs are supposed to dress.

*You need to be a genius just to date her*
*She doesn't know how to eat ramen.*
Her assistant eats the ramen for her. Cut her some slack.

CorvoSol

Mitsuru actually doesn't know how to dress, supposedly a company stylist chooses her clothes for her.

Fuuka is... closer to the standard than the others. In the winter at least. Kind of.

Mitsuru knows there is a camera in her bedroom watching her every move and she still walks around it naked. I swear sheltered is too soft a word.

Her assistant eats the ramen for her. Cut her some slack.

She's so rich she probably pays people to work out for her, too.

PK Gaming

She's so rich she probably pays people to work out for her, too.
tumblr_ml6au6z7tY1r47uiqo1_500.png

Top Bottom