• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

On a slightly related note, I have no idea what this game is, but I'm pretty sure that the art on there is by Sogabe, so maybe some people here will be interested.[/URL]

Woah, is that Makoto (P3) and Leon (Danganronpa) in that Prince of Stride game art? O_O

Also:

"...the story will show the bonds between boys and girls sprinting through their youth."

Yeah, it's probably a safe bet that someone here will be interested in it. ;D

Dantis

Woah, is that Makoto (P3) and Leon (Danganronpa) in that Prince of Stride game art? O_O

Ha, they do look similar. Interesting how his own art is different from his Persona stuff. I suppose he adjusts it to look more like Soejima (To a point) when he does the mangas.

Also, I just realised that you're using another one of my pictures as your avatar, haha!

Also, what does Otome mean?

Does this work in P3P? Cuz I heard that it don't.

If you're playing P3P:

1) Go into Tartarus
2) Grind out these gems: 99 Malachite, 10 Rubies
3) Trade-in gems at Shinshoudo Antique Shop for an "Armageddon" skill card
4) Use "Armageddon" skill card on Reaper = 9999 damage
5) PROFIT

You get Malachite gems throughout the game, and the lion shadows in the 5th Block of Tartarus drop rubies pretty frequently.

EDIT:

Also, I just realised that you're using another one of my pictures as your avatar, haha!

Yep~ I love your Yukari art, and hope you make more soon!

Not sure, maybe this?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otome_game

Caladrius

Ha, they do look similar. Interesting how his own art is different from his Persona stuff. I suppose he adjusts it to look more like Soejima (To a point) when he does the mangas.

Otome are dating sims targeted at girls.

CorvoSol

If you're playing P3P:

1) Go into Tartarus
2) Grind out these gems: 99 Malachite, 10 Rubies
3) Trade-in gems at Shinshoudo Antique Shop for an "Armageddon" skill card
4) Use "Armageddon" skill card on Reaper = 9999 damage
5) PROFIT

You get Malachite gems throughout the game, and the lion shadows in the 5th Block of Tartarus drop rubies pretty frequently.

This I could do.

MSMrRound

Bi8IcAXCcAALrtH.jpg:large

akileese

Play-Asia also has the Spring of Birth Blu-ray:

Regular Edition
Limited Edition (BD + CD)

Still can't bring myself to pick it up because no subtitles~ dammit Aniplex, just announce the dub! D:

I know Play-Asia has a bit of a mark up but even with the price of japanese shipping using something like Tenso I think it still may come out cheaper getting it from Amazon JP.

I just wish it wasn't coming out the same time as Drakengaard 3.

PK Gaming

SMT4 SPOILERS I'M SORRY EURODUDES.

Well I can't speak for the whole series, but in SMT4 it certainly struck me that Law was better than Chaos. I mean, Law wasn't great, but at least
Jonathon could acknowledge that he was doing bad things for a good cause. And keeping the people of Mikado alive and safe, even if somewhat repressed, was a far better cause than what Jonathon had in mind. I mean, Walter was all "I'm going to make a totally free world! SIKE! I meant to say I'm going to make a world ruled by the strong and not the weak. And I have no justification for this, I just feel like doing it!" Plus the demons' plan was to feed off of humans forever and ever. God's plan was going to sacrifice a relatively small number of humans to save others and restart the world. Nobody would be drinking juice from anybody's skull in God's world, so I figure it's the better of two crap cases. I mean, when you defeat Walter and Jonathon they even leave behind those Spirit things. Walter leaves Spite because he's a shitty, spiteful, miserable asshole who deserved a worse death than he got, but Jonathon left behind goodwill because even though he was doing horrible things, he was trying to accomplish some good through them.

PERSONA 3 PORTABLE CHRISTMAS TO MID JANUARY SPOILER SLINK STRAVAGANZA!!!!!!

Let's start with Makoto, shall we? Feel pretty proud of our little Bravo this time around. I mean, he finally romanced basically every single woman he could get to know! Including his teacher! Which was horrifying. Anyway, after receiving that confidence boost from older women like "Maya" and Elizabeth, our intrepid young hero set to school to finish getting some. After eating a million rice balls he managed to finally hook up with Fuuka! Who did not put out. So he turned around and hooked up with Yukari! Who did not put out. Undaunted, our hero decided to try his hands with robot girl. I mean, she had to have some kind of . . . outlet or something, right What began as just another attempt to score some chrome booty quickly became one of the game's best Social Links. While I appreciate the added element of forbidden lesbian romance in the female version of this SLink, I really actually preferred the male version, since I kind of felt that Aigis feeling frustrated at not being male in addition to not being human was a bit too complicated to buy into. But I really appreciated that the Social Link meshed perfectly with the theme of death and how to face it that has sort of popped up since October in the game, and I think that Aigis' slowly awakening to her feelings and the frustrations they brought before she could even fully understand them was excellent. While I think Teddie certainly remains the champion of "becomes human" Social Links, there's simply no contesting that Aigis blows Marie's out of the water as the better Aeon Social Link.

That said that has to have been the most unusual sexual encounter our hero has ever had. I could make numerous jokes here, but I think that, unorthodox as that moment was, we'll let our hero have his privacy. Makoto Bravo's truest triumph came during the Christmas season. He must've hit Empress Rank 5 or 6 the day before Christmas, so Mitsuru had already confided in him that she was feeling conflicted on her upcoming wedding, and that Christmas date must've sealed the deal. One assumes that the Gods must've taken pity on Makoto that night or something. Meanwhile, Clara, in spite of Akihiko being her boyfriend, somehow only got invited to Yukari's incredibly lame "Girls' Night" Christmas party with Fuuka. That her -recently discovered to be- brother had a more romantic night than her no doubt consumes her to the core.

Oh, Ryoji came buy and he was all "HEY GUYS WANNA KILL ME?" And everybody was like "You have 8 SLink ranks to go, you're not dying."

Also, even though Valentine's Day is neither here nor there, Makoto Bravo composed the following Valentine for Clara:

In retaliation, Clara published Makoto's score-card for the entire dorm to read:

Now, Clara herself got into some trouble after Christmas as rumors began flying around that she had taken on MULTIPLE SUGAR DADDIES!! I mean, girl was spending an AWFUL lot of time with older men in the vicinity of Paulownia Mall. A middle aged business man, a 20 something barfly, and even a lecherous, carnal monk! Needless to say the entire dorm was alight with the rumors all month long. I should take a moment to pay attention to one such Sugar Daddy.

So it turns out that what was really happening was that Clara was playing her sugar daddies to get something more meaningful done. Tanaka thought he'd swindled 40k yen out of her, but really she's managed to guilt him into getting a book published. A book about a pink alligator. Mutatsu, crusty old monk that he was, rekindled his faith in Buddha after their conversations and reading the book and agreed to perform the funeral services for Akinari, who I'm guess kicked off. Really liked that Social Link, especially since I knew that Nanako would be reading that book in a couple of years.

There is no justification for her flirting with Vincent Brooks. Clara's just a shameless flirt. As further evidence, JUNPEI IORI FINALLY CONFESSED TO HAVING FEELINGS FOR OUR LEADING LADY!!

MKueIdO.gif

Right before he totally shut her down. So much for Makeout Rooftop being the best place, huh? Speaking of romantic options, SOMETHING VERY UNCOMFORTABLE HAPPENED as I realized the game actually allowed for Clara to be a shotacon if she wanted to. Yeah. We shut that shit down fast. It's one thing to cheat on Shinji with his best friend if he's comatose. It's one thing to tease Junpei until he's fessed up. It's one thing to have sex with Theo if nobody can prove he actually exists. But the minute Ken was like "I HAVE A CRUSH ON YOU." Clara was immediately like "AKIHIKO IS MY BOYFRIEND I AM SO SORRY." So we go from Sugar Daddies to Friendzones and don't forget science "experiments" with robot girls. Aren't you supposed to wait until college to enter this phase, young lady?

That about wraps it up, I think. We found out Hidetoshi wasn't as much of a creep as he appeared. We laughed at the idea of Bebe being a French Weeaboo who says "Hasta La Vista." Maiko moved away with her mom. We finished the Persimmon Tree one, which was another touching Social Link. Actually some of the OG P3 ones turned out not to be so bad. Specifically Maiko, Akinari, Mamoru, the old couple and Mutatsu.

Oh and we finished Photography club. That shit was terribad.

Wow, I can't believe I almost missed this

Highlights:

"After eating a million rice balls he managed to finally hook up with Fuuka! Who did not put out. So he turned around and hooked up with Yukari! Who did not put out. Undaunted, our hero decided to try his hands with robot girl. I mean, she had to have some kind of... outlet or something, right."

Makoto's Valentine's day card + Clara's Scoreboard. They really speak for themselves.

"Yeah. We shut that shit down fast. It's one thing to cheat on Shinji with his best friend if he's comatose. It's one thing to tease Junpei until he's fessed up. It's one thing to have sex with Theo if nobody can prove he actually exists. But the minute Ken was like "I HAVE A CRUSH ON YOU." Clara was immediately like "AKIHIKO IS MY BOYFRIEND I AM SO SORRY."

"So we go from Sugar Daddies to Friendzones and don't forget science "experiments" with robot girls. Aren't you supposed to wait until college to enter this phase, young lady?"

God, I wish I had the "I'm ten... TEN!" Ken comic.

Meia

This I could do.

You can somewhat cheese the Reaper in FES, since knocking an enemy down forces them to lose their turn, Thunder Reign has a 100% chance to shock, shocked enemies have a 100% chance to be crit by any physical skill, AoA him and stuff, but make sure he's on the ground for his turn, which will be wasted by him just getting back up...

Or....OR....you could play the game. You CAN kill him around the mid-60s if you're prepared. Make sure you have a good healing persona, make sure you have at least Mind Charge + Severe level spell(earliest in this case being Surt with Ragnaraok) + Element Amp/Boost on the same persona(so Surt with Fire Amp/Boost), making this your main offense. Then it's just a matter of always making sure the Reaper is debuffed and yourself buffed. Making sure no one is capable of being hit by a weakness also helps.

Still remember my first time killing the Reaper in FES(which I didn't do the cheese way). It took literally 30 minutes, but man what a feeling finally getting him down. Then you can spend 30 minutes in Monad and laugh in his face if you run into him again. :p

Does anyone know of good vita screen protectors/cleaners? My work involves my hand getting rather dirty, but i have a lot of downtime, so that's when I play. Kinda annoying having the screen cased in oil after a while though.

Also, there is some sick aki art in this thread today, even though I can't draw, I reckon I may pitch in next time, seems like fun.

CorvoSol

Wow, I can't believe I almost missed this

Highlights:

"After eating a million rice balls he managed to finally hook up with Fuuka! Who did not put out. So he turned around and hooked up with Yukari! Who did not put out. Undaunted, our hero decided to try his hands with robot girl. I mean, she had to have some kind of... outlet or something, right."

Makoto's Valentine's day card + Clara's Scoreboard. They really speak for themselves.

"Yeah. We shut that shit down fast. It's one thing to cheat on Shinji with his best friend if he's comatose. It's one thing to tease Junpei until he's fessed up. It's one thing to have sex with Theo if nobody can prove he actually exists. But the minute Ken was like "I HAVE A CRUSH ON YOU." Clara was immediately like "AKIHIKO IS MY BOYFRIEND I AM SO SORRY."

"So we go from Sugar Daddies to Friendzones and don't forget science "experiments" with robot girls. Aren't you supposed to wait until college to enter this phase, young lady?"

God, I wish I had the "I'm ten... TEN!" Ken comic.

My favorite part of the score card was putting "Robot Girl" for Fuuka.

You can somewhat cheese the Reaper in FES, since knocking an enemy down forces them to lose their turn, Thunder Reign has a 100% chance to shock, shocked enemies have a 100% chance to be crit by any physical skill, AoA him and stuff, but make sure he's on the ground for his turn, which will be wasted by him just getting back up...

Or....OR....you could play the game. You CAN kill him around the mid-60s if you're prepared. Make sure you have a good healing persona, make sure you have at least Mind Charge + Severe level spell(earliest in this case being Surt with Ragnaraok) + Element Amp/Boost on the same persona(so Surt with Fire Amp/Boost), making this your main offense. Then it's just a matter of always making sure the Reaper is debuffed and yourself buffed. Making sure no one is capable of being hit by a weakness also helps.

Still remember my first time killing the Reaper in FES(which I didn't do the cheese way). It took literally 30 minutes, but man what a feeling finally getting him down. Then you can spend 30 minutes in Monad and laugh in his face if you run into him again. :p

I'm not playing FES, though, and I don't think it takes a turn for them to get back up. Lobbing a max damage item so I can just hurry up and unlock the new place sounds like the better idea.

Meia

My favorite part of the score card was putting "Robot Girl" for Fuuka.

I'm not playing FES, though, and I don't think it takes a turn for them to get back up. Lobbing a max damage item so I can just hurry up and unlock the new place sounds like the better idea.

The problem is you may find it'd take way too long to grind those gems you need, especially if you've kept the same persona for a playthrough and have used gems to pump up it's stats...

Still, godspeed. :D

CorvoSol

The problem is you may find it'd take way too long to grind those gems you need, especially if you've kept the same persona for a playthrough and have used gems to pump up it's stats...

Still, godspeed. :D

Wait, you can use Malachite to pump up a Persona's stats? Cuz I mean, I blew rubies to get Megidolaon, but I didn't think Malachite had any practical use beyond trading for these attack cards?

The King of___ and such I did use, though. Orpheus has almost maxed stats in most categories now. Unfortunately Orpheus still has some lame abilities. Like, I've only just found the Personas that have the Ma-Dyne set so I'll grind them and stick them on Orpheus while I kill time to get the Ultimate Persona. I don't think I can get Telos in this playthrough, but we'll see.

Meia

Wait, you can use Malachite to pump up a Persona's stats? Cuz I mean, I blew rubies to get Megidolaon, but I didn't think Malachite had any practical use beyond trading for these attack cards?

The King of___ and such I did use, though. Orpheus has almost maxed stats in most categories now. Unfortunately Orpheus still has some lame abilities. Like, I've only just found the Personas that have the Ma-Dyne set so I'll grind them and stick them on Orpheus while I kill time to get the Ultimate Persona. I don't think I can get Telos in this playthrough, but we'll see.

Forgot which gems are needed for which stats(based on card types), thought it was the malachite that was needed for every single card though, just in varying amounts. But yeah, that's what I was referring to.

I did the whole gem grinding thing in Tartarus, and it's kind of a massive pain in the ass. Specific shadows drop specific gems, and it's not 100%, so you have to stick to certain series of floors that the shadows are supposed to show up on, keep fighting until one finally appears, and then kill it and maybe not even get 1 gem...

CorvoSol

Forgot which gems are needed for which stats(based on card types), thought it was the malachite that was needed for every single card though, just in varying amounts. But yeah, that's what I was referring to.

I did the whole gem grinding thing in Tartarus, and it's kind of a massive pain in the ass. Specific shadows drop specific gems, and it's not 100%, so you have to stick to certain series of floors that the shadows are supposed to show up on, keep fighting until one finally appears, and then kill it and maybe not even get 1 gem...

I'm not that far off from the amount I need though, I think. Like, 16 more malachite and it can't be more than 6 more rubies. It'll be grinding, but that's sort of what I had planned on doing right now anyway.

Guys, in two hours I am going to post my thing of every pic, so that is the deadline for Akihiko week and the start of the week only I and like two others will like, Labrys Week! Or Watch Yer Week.

Lemstar

I brute forced the Reaper in P3P around party level 70. It wasn't that bad.

If you're planning on doing everything you can in the first playthrough, I'd definitely suggest against blowing an Armageddon on killing him. You'll need one eventually, and it'll take less time to grind your party up to 70 than it will to get the gems to craft another one.

CorvoSol

I brute forced the Reaper in P3P around party level 70. It wasn't that bad.

If you're planning on doing everything you can in the first playthrough, I'd definitely suggest against blowing an Armageddon on killing him. You'll need one eventually, and it'll take less time to grind your party up to 70 than it will to get the gems to craft another one.

My party is almost level 80 and I couldn't put a dent in him.

Alas, for I can do no service for Smexihiko.

And with this, I've Been Waiting for This Week has drawn to a close. Let's take a look at the art I have gathered up for this week form some of our fine fine peoples! Click on the ones in borders to make em bigger pls.

BY BUDDHA0991

MzwaEh6.png

BY TRUESELF

BY JINTOR

BY VOX CHAOTICA

BY SHMEEB

BY BRUCE

BY INSANE ELITE

Wic3tYd.jpg

BY CORVOSOL

hbJGlfQ.png

hrPKKox.jpg

af41Ahk.png

BY ARUE

BY DANTIS

48hAv05.png

BY SMEDWICKS

niuNv5H.png

BY REANIMATOIN

q3Q1YcQ.jpg

I believe this is all of em! If I missed one, please let me know! This Week of Akihiko is over! Now for a character that only True Ballers ™ Like, LABRYS WEEK, AKA, WATCH YER WEEK!

Dantis

Shmeeb's picture is amaaaaaze.

Arue's looks like it's had the most time put into it, though I can't say that the particular subject matter appeals to me. :p
Well drawn though!

Good jobs all around! Neat idea too, so well done Buddha.

I will leave it up to you guys collectively to decide what the week after Labrys Week will be, because I clearly displayed favoritism this week! Hey, I could have just chosen Lets Positive Drawing! Week with Maya Amano!

Schmeeb nailed it! That is some sick work mate.

Considering this was week one (of hopefully many) and it was kinda short notice, the board killed it with the artwork.

Can't wait to see next week's lot!

Gazoinks

Brainstorming here, should we keep doing singular characters, or what if, we did it by Arcana? Like this week is Fortune Week or something

Arcana is fun. Or we could do themes. Next week should be the week for the most hated characters in the series.

Anyway, here is my high art contribution. Might as well stop now 'cause you can't beat this

Dantis

Brainstorming here, should we keep doing singular characters, or what if, we did it by Arcana? Like this week is Fortune Week or something

Personally, I like the idea of doing single characters. I think if you make it too broad then it could become pointless.

One idea could be to do a theme, like 'Akihiko in a Christmas outfit', for example. Or even 'Any Persona character in a Christmas outfit.

I will leave it up to you guys collectively to decide what the week after Labrys Week will be, because I clearly displayed favoritism this week! Hey, I could have just chosen Lets Positive Drawing! Week with Maya Amano!

Do like a Naoto week or something and I might actually draw something worthwhile.

arue

Arcana Week sounds fun to me.

I like drawing single characters too because I rather have a decent single character than a messy couple/group drawing.

Nachos

Updated the theme for my tumblr blog since I now have a pleasing variety of pictures on it. Unfortunately I can't figure out this FUCKING HOVER CODE and it doesn't show me the number of notes any particular thing has anymore. Goddamnit.

If you still need help with it, I can probably fix up that CSS code if you still want the effect, so you can then just copy and paste it into Tumblr's code editor.

I don't mind side characters or more minor characters having reused voices, but I'll be pretty disappointed if I hear any of the main character voices as the main characters in P5. It wouldn't be so bad if they can do a very different sounding voice, but I guess what I'm saying is no Johnny Yong Bosch or Yuri Lowenthal please.

I mean, reusing is going to happen, either in the sense that actors are going to return due to the industry being somewhat insular or in the sense that already-cast actors are going to voice the extras, as well, especially since the second is both standard practice at this point and usually expected of the actors.

I guess my main issue is that the casting overlaps are clearly identifiable, since the actors are just using different registers of their default voice. It actually makes things worse, since most of the lines JYB recorded for Adachi in Golden are higher-pitched than his original lines, since he had to worry about Yu actually talking in other projects - more opportunities to notice that they're so similar - and he was likely just used to using that specific register. It's actually jarring with some scenes actually alternating between the two every other dialogue box, since he goes from sounding more grounded to sounding cartoonish.

The actors clearly have range, but the problem is that their voices might not necessarily be able to support the large ensembles Persona games usually have, especially when they can't go crazy with their voices for such a grounded setting. Erin Fitzgerald has some of the craziest range in the industry, but when she's trying to sound realistic, the available voices are inevitably going to dwindle from thousands to like three. I mean, Tara Platt voices Mitsuru and Elizabeth in Persona 3, as well as characters like Tron Bonne in other projects, but for everything other than Mitsuru, there's an expectation that the characters are either cartoony or otherworldly, allowing her to play with her voice more and stray from the strictly grounded.

In the end, though, voice acting is still a messy business, when all the schedules start to rub into each other. There are simply so many factors going on beyond simply creative ones. It's why Grant George filled in for almost all of Kanji's lines in golden, or why a few of the new lines for Margaret were done by Nanako. I may not agree with all the decisions, but at the end of the day, I'm sure they're committed to making the best possible production they can, given the crazy amount of things going on behind the scenes.

I gather we're discussing the reuse of actors in P5? I would say to anticipate that. Anyone who watches a moderate amount of anime dubs knows that's how it is. A project like like, say, DanganRonpa, which casts mostly unknowns is practically unheard of. It is absolutely the exception and not the rule.

I have to say HS, I think Michelle is a really bad example, honestly. Margaret has so little voiced dialogue, you're basically casting a miscellaneous bit part. Ditto for Marie. They'd never cast a main party member, villain, or prominent side character (like Nanako or Dojima) that way.

The only distinction is that, unlike anime, the casting directors need to worry about continuity. None of the directors care if Bryce Papenbrook voices every main character nowadays, or Yuri Lowenthal a few years earlier, even if we're talking about shows produced by the same company. There's no real interaction between them, so there's little reason to worry about continuity, unlike in Persona.

And you're right about Margaret. Her character certainly has ballooned up more recently, but especially in the scope of the original game, she is a minor role. My example for Marie isn't, though. I mentioned her as an example of it being documented as happening in Persona, but casting via recommendation happens all the time in the industry, for minor AND leading roles. Name recognition is only valuable in terms of increasing your chances of getting an agent and being solicited for castings.

When you've got an ally on the inside who has worked with the production before, is trusted by them, and is vouching for your ability to fill the niche they're trying to cover, that's incredibly invaluable. Obviously they're going to look into your resume and demo reel (and disregard you if you don't have the latter), but save for weird cases like celebrity castings, they don't care who you are or what if you have +100 productions under your belt; the only two questions they'll have will be "does your voice fit" and "can you act?"

Jintor

If you still need help with it, I can probably fix up that CSS code if you still want the effect, so you can then just copy and paste it into Tumblr's code editor.

Man, that would be grand.

I used to use this theme and buried somewhere in this fucking messy-ass code is the css that shows postnote or notecount when you hover over something. the thing is though the theme I'm using now already has a thing that shows up on post hover, the permalink and reblog buttons. I don't know how they interact and the code is so damn messy I don't really want to dive in there...

Top Bottom