• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Getting a much earlier start on "Labrys Week" than I did last time:

labrys___persona_4_arena_poster_by_darkside989-d7azjsb.jpg

And here's a bonus iOS version of the poster if you're so inclined! :D

Working on these P4 Persona designs has got me thinking about its story again, and I have some niggling issues about its story that I want to get out there.

Big time spoilers, mostly related to the culprit and stuff. Also very nitpicky.

--Why was Adachi not higher on the police's suspect list when it was a known fact that he was one of the last people to see Yamano? In a murder case you always trace it back to the last people who were known to have interacted with the victim.

--Related to above, it kind of bothered me that the story had Yukiko keep that information from you until the end like that, felt like cheating on the game's part.

--Where did Nametame learn how to kidnap like that? The guy is a goddamned ninja apparently. Kanji and Naoto especially--Kanji is easily Nametame's size if not bigger, and Naoto, while of considerable less size, was expecting him and had taken specific precautions. What was he doing, ringing the door bell and then hanging above it like Spider-Man?

--How did Adachi get Saki and Mitsuo into the police station without anyone noticing? I mean, he must have, right?

--How the heck did Adachi fit Mitsuo into that tiny ass TV? And with apparent haste, even? Saki was unbelievable enough.

--The one thing that I think bothered me the most about the story in the end was that the original two victims, the ones that started the entire thing, had absolutely nothing to do with their early prophetic appearances on the Midnight Channel, and were just coincidentally perpetrated by Adachi on his own whims. Your early game realizations were actually incorrect and only proved true once you started saving people because another guy had the same mistaken beliefs and acted on them at the same time. This isn't a plot hole or mistake or anything, but as a payoff in the end I just felt let down by the cyclical and coincidental nature of it.

CorvoSol

Working on these P4 Persona designs has got me thinking about its story again, and I have some niggling issues about its story that I want to get out there.

--Why was Adachi not higher on the police's suspect list when it was a known fact that he was one of the last people to see Yamano? In a murder case you always trace it back to the last people who were known to have interacted with the victim.

--Related to above, it kind of bothered me that the story had Yukiko keep that information from you until the end like that, felt like cheating on the game's part.

--Where did Nametame learn how to kidnap like that? The guy is a goddamned ninja apparently. Kanji and Naoto especially--Kanji is easily Nametame's size if not bigger, and Naoto, while of considerable less size, was expecting him and had taken specific precautions. What was he doing, ringing the door bell and then hanging above it like Spider-Man?

--How did Adachi get Saki and Mitsuo into the police station without anyone noticing? I mean, he must have, right?

--How the heck did Adachi fit Mitsuo into that tiny ass TV? And with apparent haste, even? Saki was unbelievable enough.

--The one thing that I think bothered me the most about the story in the end was that the original two victims, the ones that started the entire thing, had absolutely nothing to do with their early prophetic appearances on the Midnight Channel, and were just coincidentally perpetrated by Adachi on his own whims. Your early game realizations were actually incorrect and only proved true once you started saving people because another guy had the same mistaken beliefs and acted on them at the same time. This isn't a plot hole or mistake or anything, but as a payoff in the end I just felt let down by the cyclical and coincidental nature of it.

On the other hand, at least they try to explain some of that. I'm STILL not able to grasp how P3 SPOILERS
Takaya became a cult leader literally overnight.

Lunar15

P4's mystery plot kind of falls apart when you really try to put it together logically. It isn't super well written, but it services the theme well enough.

On the other hand, at least they try to explain some of that. I'm STILL not able to grasp how P3 SPOILERS
Takaya became a cult leader literally overnight.

Well one of the ideas in P3 is that a lot of people just can't deal with/hate life so I guess it's related to that?

He doesn't even wear a shirt.
He looks the part almost too perfectly.
When he was introduced as someone who wasn't leading a cult, but instead some assassin, I was honestly kind of surprised. I mean, he looks exactly like what someone would design a stereotypical cult leader to look like.

FluxWaveZ

Out of all the spin-offs, the Arena series seems to be the weakest in terms of musical component. From all of the videos we've seen and that Kitajoh interview, Persona Q's music will be great and has had a lot of thought put into it. Persona 4: Dancing is kind of a given (and it'll be most tragic if the music is bad in that game).

But for P4A (and P4AU), the music hasn't been all that great and it's unfortunate (especially when there could have been the potential for Ishiwatari joining in). I do like the new music in P4AU, but some of the musical choices are questionable again and borderline lazy.

CorvoSol

He looks the part almost too perfectly.
When he was introduced as someone who wasn't leading a cult, but instead some assassin, I was honestly kind of surprised. I mean, he looks exactly like what someone would design a stereotypical cult leader to look like.

I dunno, maybe I just have a different concept of what one is supposed to look like.

PK Gaming

1) They probably did interrogate him, but presumably dropped the investigation since there was literally no evidence to tie him to the murder. In fact, I doubt that anyone even knows that Adachi had a run in with Mayumi at night (despite being her body guard). It's also worth noting that literally months go by after the first murder, so I doubt they made him a person of interest for an extended period of time. (especially since they had their hands full with the string of kidnappings)
2) What are you referring to?
3) Delivery man by day, NINJA BY NIGHT (There's no denying that Namatame's superhuman kidnapping skills is a weak point in the story)
4) In both cases, both victims were sent to Adachi for questioning. In Mitsuo's case, he was pawned off to Adachi after "confessing" to murders of Mayumi and Saki(because the police thought it was delusional). By Adachi's own admission, it was complete luck that he got to question him.
5)In regards to shoving Mitsuo into the TV, he left the room, came back and turned off the lights.We can assume that he did everything in his power to shove him into the TV. I can definitely see Adachi overpowering Mitsuo, especially after that light gambit.
6) I personally loved it. It ties back to how everything was literally just a game to Adachi, and that his motivations literally amounted to... "because I could". Seriously that's it. In a medium where villains always have an underlying reason for their atrocities, it was refreshing to experience one who didn't. It was almost human-like in its simplicity. Some people do bad things because they can... it's perfect! I especially loved how IT group refutes this by pointing out that things could have gone down way, way, way worse, and his response to that point is that he honestly doesn't care. I'd argue that supernatural elements of the story were weaker than the human element provided by Adachi (him being the defacto maestro was far more entertaining). Izanami's motivations were terrible, and were it not for Adachi, I would have been disappointed with the endgame.

Re: Saki and Mayumi's appearance on the TV
I thought the way they handled it was brilliant. The significance of their appearance on the TV was not realized until the very end, and it wasn't something arbitrary like "they're going to die soon." They were on the channel because entire populace of Inaba was thinking/talking about them due to the scandals and the ensuing murder. I just love how Adachi took a simple concept and perverted it to suit his own psychotic needs.

Some images related to my points (MASSIVE P4 SPOILERS)
[1] [2] [3] [4]

EDIT: Heck, here's my entire imgur album

Sophia

Out of all the spin-offs, the Arena series seems to be the weakest in terms of musical component. From all of the videos we've seen and that Kitajoh interview, Persona Q's music will be great and has had a lot of thought put into it. Persona 4: Dancing is kind of a given (and it'll be most tragic if the music is bad in that game).

But for P4A (and P4AU), the music hasn't been all that great and it's unfortunate (especially when there could have been the potential for Ishiwatari joining in). I do like the new music in P4AU, but some of the musical choices are questionable again and borderline lazy.

All the Meguro composed tracks are pretty awesome. It's the ones composed by Kitajoh that are all over the place in quality. Chie's theme fits Sonic the Hedgehog rather than a fighting game, and Mitsuru's theme would not be out of place in Melty Blood. >_>;

Dantis

Getting a much earlier start on "Labrys Week" than I did last time:

And here's a bonus iOS version of the poster if you're so inclined! :D

This is excellent. Well done!

P4's mystery plot kind of falls apart when you really try to put it together logically. It isn't super well written, but it services the theme well enough.

Yup. I've always said this.

Concur. Not a fan of a lot of Arena's music. Spirited Girl is one of my favourite Meguro tracks though, so that redeems the OST to a point.

1) They probably did interrogate him, but presumably dropped the investigation since there was literally no evidence to tie him to the murder. In fact, I doubt that anyone even knows that Adachi had a run in with Mayumi at night (despite being her body guard). It's also worth noting that literally months go by after the first murder, so I doubt they made him a person of interest for an extended period of time. (especially since they had their hands full with the string of kidnappings)
2) What are you referring to?
3) Delivery man by day, NINJA BY NIGHT (There's no denying that Namatame's superhuman kidnapping skills is a weak point in the story)
4) In both cases, both victims were sent to Adachi for questioning. In Mitsuo's case, he was pawned off to Adachi after "confessing" to murders of Mayumi and Saki(because the police thought it was delusional). By Adachi's own admission, it was complete luck that he got to question him.
5)In regards to shoving Mitsuo into the TV, he left the room, came back and turned off the lights.We can assume that he did everything in his power to shove him into the TV. I can definitely see Adachi overpowering Mitsuo, especially after that light gambit.
6) I personally loved it. It ties back to how everything was literally just a game to Adachi, and that his motivations literally amounted to... "because I could". Seriously that's it. In a medium where villains always have an underlying reason for their atrocities, it was refreshing to experience one who didn't. It was almost human-like in its simplicity. Some people do bad things because they can... it's perfect! I especially loved how IT group refutes this by pointing out that things could have gone down way, way, way worse, and his response to that point is that he honestly doesn't care. I'd argue that supernatural elements of the story were weaker than the human element provided by Adachi (him being the defacto maestro was far more entertaining). Izanami's motivations were terrible, and were it not for Adachi, I would have been disappointed with the endgame.

Re: Saki and Mayumi's appearance on the TV
I thought the way they handled it was brilliant. The significance of their appearance on the TV was not realized until the very end, and it wasn't something arbitrary like "they're going to die soon." They were on the channel because entire populace of Inaba was thinking/talking about them due to the scandals and the ensuing murder. I just love how Adachi took a simple concept and perverted it to suit his own psychotic needs.

Some images related to my points (MASSIVE P4 SPOILERS)
[1] [2] [3] [4]

EDIT: Heck, here's my entire imgur album
1. I don't know, the way they go about it makes it seem like there was no suspicion ever placed on Adachi. But you're right, there was no real evidence to link him to the murders, which begs the question of how he was eventually convicted at all. You usually need more than a confession.
2. I was referring to the fact that Yukiko knew that Adachi was one of the last people to see Yamano, but never brings this up until you are suspicious of Adachi. I just don't like it when characters withhold important information like that to keep the player/viewer/reader in the dark.
4. If Saki and Mitsuo were both sent to Adachi for questioning, why did no one notice that they just happened to disappear after that? If someone saw them come in the police building, wouldn't someone notice that they never left?
6. I actually did really like Adachi's motivations, they did feel very real. I think his reasonings were more complex than what he let on, but yes, his motivations were pretty refreshing. But that still doesn't stop me from feeling disappointed that the payoff for the entire prophetic Midnight Channel appearances was that there was no payoff. It was all just weird coincidence, which I feel weakens the overall story.

And holy crap, your album has a full body image of Mayumi Yamano, you have no idea how hard it's been finding reference images for her.

Hey that's one cool wallpaper :eek: I like the light effects in the background.

That's really great. Nice job!

This is excellent. Well done!

You win! This is Fucking incredible!

Thanks everyone! I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, and there were several little details I kept going back and forth on before settling on this. After last week I figured I needed to up my game, even though I'm not actually "drawing" anything... :D

Thanks everyone! I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, and there were several little details I kept going back and forth on before settling on this. After last week I figured I needed to up my game, even though I'm not actually "drawing" anything... :D

Keep it up! Can't wait to see more of your stuff.

PK Gaming

1. I don't know, the way they go about it makes it seem like there was no suspicion ever placed on Adachi. But you're right, there was no real evidence to link him to the murders, which begs the question of how he was eventually convicted at all. You usually need more than a confession.
2. I was referring to the fact that Yukiko knew that Adachi was one of the last people to see Yamano, but never brings this up until you are suspicious of Adachi. I just don't like it when characters withhold important information like that to keep the player/viewer/reader in the dark.
4. If Saki and Mitsuo were both sent to Adachi for questioning, why did no one notice that they just happened to disappear after that? If someone saw them come in the police building, wouldn't someone notice that they never left?
6. I actually did really like Adachi's motivations, they did feel very real. I think his reasonings were more complex than what he let on, but yes, his motivations were pretty refreshing. But that still doesn't stop me from feeling disappointed that the payoff for the entire prophetic Midnight Channel appearances was that there was no payoff. It was all just weird coincidence, which I feel weakens the overall story.

And holy crap, your album has a full body image of Mayumi Yamano, you have no idea how hard it's been finding reference images for her.

1) I think Dojima outright lampshades this. He says that sticking Adachi to those crimes would be difficult, and later on goes on to say he was ultimately convicted as a result of his confession containing evidence that only the killer would have known. (With the obvious exception of the supernatural nonsense). My knowledge on law is tenuous at best, but I think that's permissible in Japan.
2) I agree, but i'm willing to give Yukiko the benefit of the doubt. There was a lot going on, so I don't blame her for remembering at the last second.
4) Haha, good point! I can somewhat fathom them overlooking Kubo but there's absolutely no way Adachi could get away with the disappearance of a vital witness. The Inaba precinct must be incredibly incompetent.
6) Fair enough. I don't deny that nearly everything related to Izanami was pretty weak. I've actually documented 90% of P4G, so if you need a particular screenshot, i'm your man!

wmlk

Persona 3 and Persona 4 just have a lot of plot points that don't make sense at all. Especially later on in the game when it starts to delve into ideologies.

I just don't care for those parts because I think those games are more about the themes than anything.

Also,
thank goodness for Chidori because Jin and Takaya are the worst villains I have ever come across in anything, ever.
Especially Jin.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 just have a lot of plot points that don't make sense at all. Especially later on in the game when it starts to delve into ideologies.

I just don't care for those parts because I think those games are more about the themes than anything.

Also,
thank goodness for Chidori because Jin and Takaya are the worst villains I have ever come across in anything, ever.
Especially Jin.

For some reason, Persona 3 and 4 are rather weak from a villain angle, where as Persona 1 sort of, and ESPECIALLY Persona 2 have much stronger villains. P4 SPOILER
Adachi
remains modern Persona's strongest villain. I hope they improve that part because it is one part where most people agree is a weak point.

Acid08

Banned
For some reason, Persona 3 and 4 are rather weak from a villain angle, where as Persona 1 sort of, and ESPECIALLY Persona 2 have much stronger villains. P4 SPOILER
Adachi
remains modern Persona's strongest villain. I hope they improve that part because it is one part where most people agree is a weak point.
I liked P1 because *spoilz*
Kandori is an obvious enemy but the girl you're trying to save is also playing an active antagonistic role throughout. A lot of the fucked up stuff is coming from within her, even if it isn't really her fault.

FluxWaveZ

I liked P1 because *spoilz*
Kandori is an obvious enemy but the girl you're trying to save is also playing an active antagonistic role throughout. A lot of the fucked up stuff is coming from within her, even if it isn't really her fault.

Sounds like Labrys.

wmlk

Adachi

I just don't enjoy it when the games force you to accept the most ridiculous explanations.

Like, Adachi accidentally finding out about putting someone into the TV, and he doesn't even to think to question it. Or Ameno-sagiri's and Izanami's whole mumbo-jumbo about turning the whole population into Shadows...but proceed to delay it for however long. Or somehow discovering that that one gas attendant happens to be the goddess of the underworld, who transferred her powers by touching you.

And this is just in Persona 4, and Persona 3 does bad things as well. It kinda made me scratch my head when I was playing because the writing is top-notch otherwise. It's complex for the sake of being complex.

FluxWaveZ

I just don't enjoy it when the games force you to accept the most ridiculous explanations.

Like, Adachi accidentally finding out about putting someone into the TV, and he doesn't even to think to question it.

I have no idea how this is supposed to be ridiculous at all. That's the very nature of that character.

LX_Theo

Banned

Like, Adachi accidentally finding out about putting someone into the TV, and he doesn't even to think to question it. Or Ameno-sagiri's and Izanami's whole mumbo-jumbo about turning the whole population into Shadows...but proceed to delay it for however long. Or somehow discovering that that one gas attendant happens to be the goddess of the underworld, who transferred her powers by touching you.

And this is just in Persona 4, and Persona 3 does bad things as well. It kinda made me scratch my head when I was playing because the writing is top-notch otherwise. It's complex for the sake of being complex.

Adachi's dialogue shows that he has already dealt with sticking his hand into the TV. He had plenty of time to question it to that point. He was surprised that a whole person could go in, which wouldn't take much time to come to accept.

The fog turning people into shadows was primarily a mental thing. People regress their mental functions into the instincts you see with shadows. Then the physical changes come about. That'll never be a fast process.

I don't see the issue with the gas station attendant. You figured out she had something to do with getting your powers, and she went onto reveal everything that happened.

PK Gaming

Adachi

Persona 4's villain is arguably the best in the series. Persona might edge P3 out in terms of villains, but it's in no way stronger than 4s. Kandori is nowhere near as fleshed out or as interesting as
Adachi
(P4 spoilers)

Persona 4's villain is arguably the best in the series. Persona might edge P3 out in terms of villains, but it's in no way stronger than 4s. Kandori is nowhere near as fleshed out or as interesting as
Adachi
(P4 spoilers)

Persona 2 Spoilers
Kandori is aided by being in more than one game.

I dunno though, I like P4's villain, but there are plenty out there who feel said villain is weak.

Swedesu

While the culprit in P4 is cool and all nothing beats
Nyarlathotep
in both the P2s. Especially so in EP where he really shines in his maliciousness.

FluxWaveZ

While the culprit in P4 is cool and all nothing really beats
Nyarlathotep
in both the P2s. Especially so in EP where he really shines in his maliciousness.

I prefer Adachi because he's not some all-seeing, powerful deity. Just another dude with a Persona who turns out to be real messed up.

Edit: Fan translation for new chapters of the P4A manga are out. Shadow-like Chie has the coolest expressions.

n0w8eld.png

CorvoSol

I dunno anything about P1 and 2's villains yet, but P4's villain was waaaaaaay better than P3's villains. The problem with P3's villains was that they were either FF miniboss squads or NES era FF final boss.

Swedesu

I prefer Adachi because he's not some all-seeing, powerful deity. Just another dude with a Persona who turns out to be real messed up.

P4 spoilers:
Don't get me wrong, I love Adachi. Both as the goofy cop and as the villain.

His S.Link in Golden is pretty great as well, that scene with him and Yu in Mayumi's room being a high point.

When recruiting Reiji, I only have to tell Brown no, right? I don't have to go find Elly just to shut her down, do I?

You do, you have to shut down everyone who you can recruit normally, with Yuka Ayase being the last. If you are given the opportunity to shut her down and it success, you have correctly done everything to recruit Reiji Kido, if she says no way fuck you and autoforces her way into your party, you dun goofed somewhere and can't recruit him.

EDIT: I am actually not sure if you have to shut Elly down, I just always did it every time I wanted to recruit Reiji. You could save the game, go straight to the abandoned factory, and if you could enter the dungeon without having Ayase join you, and you just have 4 party members inside of the actual dungeon of the Abandoned Factory, you are good, if she auto joins no matter what you do, reload and try to reject Eriko and then Ayase.

Acid08

Banned
You monsters want to shut Elly down for some dickwad who leaves his shirt open and wears a shitty shackle+chain around his neck. You people sicken me.

CorvoSol

You monsters want to shut Elly down for some dickwad who leaves his shirt open and wears a shitty shackle+chain around his neck. You people sicken me.

I actually had planned on getting Elly but everyone keeps telling me how great Reiji is for the plot, sooooo

Top Bottom