• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Acid08

Banned
Ironically it was another instance of "lol PersonaGAF".

You know, where it's really posters from AnimeGAF (if that), but someone sees anime avatars and just jumps to Persona. *shrug*
Yeah but you went in there and made it worse!

Hey, in my opinion most of the posts in that topic were wrong, on both sides my friend!

IMO everyone should have shut up about Persona and talked about the game in the topic title, but neither side could manage that of course.
This!

Stay classy Persona-GAF.
TBEfmx8.jpg

Hey what's going on I just got here?!

CorvoSol

TBEfmx8.jpg

Hey what's going on I just got here?!

TBH I'm not sure. I guess there was some thread about Conception and then it got out of hand like threads about JRPGs on Gaming Side tend to do. I mean, there was hullabaloo about BD being for pedos because of Yoshida's art style awhile back, too.

Still need to finish that game.

kewlmyc

Read the Conception II thread. Wow, that's embarrassing from both sides.

Since the thread is locked, was the demo any good? Not sure why P4 got mentioned at all, is the gameplay similar or something?

Soooo, what's everyone been playing lately?
A mix of Titanfall and SMT IV. Walter is too extreme, yet Johnathan undying loyalty to such a shady group as the Samurai heads is unnerving. Not sure I like either side so far, and I'm 30 hours in.

Sorian

Banned
I know I don't do it often but you all realize I've posted here from time to time right, I'm not just randomly jumping in to attack anyone, I thought the situation was funny, never said anyone was in a hivemind but it is a way to classify those whom I was talking to, chill guys.

Acid08

Banned
I know I don't do it often but you all realize I've posted here from time to time right, I'm not just randomly jumping in to attack anyone, I thought the situation was funny, never said anyone was in a hivemind but it is a way to classify those whom I was talking to, chill guys.
Ugh really dude? Don't pretend you didn't know what you were doing.

FluxWaveZ

Since the thread is locked, was the demo any good? Not sure why P4 got mentioned at all, is the gameplay similar or something?

There were a bunch of impressions in there, including mine. Basically: doesn't seem great, but it's not actively bad either. Nothing stands out from it in particular, but it looks pretty.

LX_Theo

Banned

Simple explanation would be this... People saw the dating sim + JRPG combination and immediately starting comparing it to Persona as though it was just a worse version of the exact same thing. Was rebuked, and then incredibly stupid choices in reactions resulted from both sides (stupid reactions being illogical arguments and regrettable statements)

inFamous. Also working on finishing Bravely Default (if I can motivate myself to)

Thank you, I guess it has been awhile since people seem to have forgotten my flavor, I've been spending too much time in dangan ronpa threads.

Well ignore the tweet I just sent you then!

even though it was me basically going it was everyone's fault!

Levito

Banned
I for one was completely and totally serious when I made my tollbooth comment in the Contraption what's it called thread.

Also dead serious when I quoted DMX lyrics in my last post.

Dead serious.

Acid08

Banned
Project Diva f on the Vita. I didn't expect to buy it because I have zero knowledge of anything Vocaloid but I wanted to play a rhythm game. Tried the demo and actually thought it was a lot of fun so I bought the game.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of most of the music but the note paths are actually really really fun to play. I guess this is kind of what to expect from P4D? I know Dingo doesn't develop them anymore but I assume the base game is still the same.

TWILT

Banned
I've mostly just been playing J-Stars Victory Vs. Having a lot a fun, and it surprisingly has a lot more depth than I thought it would.

Also beat Dark Souls 2 the other day; pretty great game. Probably my favorite the year thus far, though in the end, think I still prefer DS1 over it. Also been on and off with FFXHD, but not very far into yet.

Sorian

Banned
Well ignore the tweet I just sent you then!

even though it was me basically going it was everyone's fault!

? Did I make a neoGAF bad post tweet again?

I for one was completely and totally serious when I made my tollbooth comment in the Contraption what's it called thread.

Also dead serious when I quoted DMX lyrics in my last post.

Dead serious.

This flew over my head, I didn't understand the tollbooth comment.

I was like 'wait, aren't you a regular'

Yeah, I've gotten to used to seeing a lot of you over there.

Lunar15

I know you're a regular poster, it's just kind of weird that you'd come back and say something like that, but then again I have no idea what conspired in that other thread.

But it was a pretty general statement to a bunch of people who weren't involved.

Caladrius

Gaming side plz.

Today I learned that if you write your papers too close together you will lose points for plagiarizing yourself.

You need new teachers.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of most of the music but the note paths are actually really really fun to play. I guess this is kind of what to expect from P4D? I know Dingo doesn't develop them anymore but I assume the base game is still the same.

Yes. Star notes aren't in the Dingo-developed games though.

I have F 2nd downloading on my PS3 right now and the Vita version is coming this week.

#FiscalResponsibility.

Sorian

Banned
Dunno why I said Tweet, I meant PM

Didn't even see it up there, saw it now though, all good :D

I know you're a regular poster, it's just kind of weird that you'd come back and say something like that, but then again I have no idea what conspired in that other thread.

But it was a pretty general statement to a bunch of people who weren't involved.

My post wasn't really meant to be hive-mindy, it was just an easy way to address a bigger amount of people in this thread, I was just more surprised that some of that conversation had leaked over into here before I had posted.

CorvoSol

You need new teachers.

I haven't *actually* lost points yet. It's like this. I had to turn in these lit reviews that were on the same topic to the same teacher for two classes. I had to turn them in using TurnItIn.com, which checks your papers to make sure they're not plagiarized. So when I submitted both simultaneously they scored like a 27 and a 37 respectively, which made sense since it's a lit review and they were full of quotes and my bibliography was shared between papers.

Come back today because I have to turn in two policy briefs under these same classes and find out that the thing has bumped the similarity ratings up to 52 and 62. Because it checked the papers against each other and was like "Hey you plagiarized yourself!"

Sorta pissed that it changed the score after I'd looked at it, so I've sent an e-mail to my professor begging mercy on it. I'm not expecting much, since it was my fault for using stuff in both papers, but I hadn't realized it would claim that a full 50% of the content was shared. Especially since I really don't think a full 50% was. Took me waaaay too long to write the second paper for that to be the case.

Gazoinks

Not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed the demo.

Ironically, this discussion reminded me to download it. Right now I'm finding all the intro story stuff incredibly boring, but hopefully the combat is okay. :p

I've mostly been playing Persona 1 and Final Fantasy Tactics on me Vita lately. I'm also gearing up for a replay of Oblivion. And by gearing up I mean installing a million mods.

Caladrius

I haven't *actually* lost points yet. It's like this. I had to turn in these lit reviews that were on the same topic to the same teacher for two classes. I had to turn them in using TurnItIn.com, which checks your papers to make sure they're not plagiarized. So when I submitted both simultaneously they scored like a 27 and a 37 respectively, which made sense since it's a lit review and they were full of quotes and my bibliography was shared between papers.

Come back today because I have to turn in two policy briefs under these same classes and find out that the thing has bumped the similarity ratings up to 52 and 62. Because it checked the papers against each other and was like "Hey you plagiarized yourself!"

Sorta pissed that it changed the score after I'd looked at it, so I've sent an e-mail to my professor begging mercy on it. I'm not expecting much, since it was my fault for using stuff in both papers, but I hadn't realized it would claim that a full 50% of the content was shared. Especially since I really don't think a full 50% was. Took me waaaay too long to write the second paper for that to be the case.

I hate how automated things are now. Machines can't exercise judgement and aren't worth a damn for actual analysis yet, why the hell should they use it for screening qualitative schoolwork?

And thats just fine yo. I just wish people would stop being butts

Butts are the only thing you can believe in on NeoGAF.

CorvoSol

I hate how automated things are now. Machines can't exercise judgement and aren't worth a damn for actual analysis yet, why the hell should they use it for screening qualitative schoolwork?

Well, I think that the actual grading of my paper is still up to the teacher and the TA and I've done reasonably well in the class to this point, but this paper is the single biggest amount of points for any assignment for two classes I don't know if will be offered again when I'm back here in the Fall.

Just feeling end of semester pressure is all, I guess.

Zebetite

Banned

I am not an authority on this situation, I have never been a Teaching Assistant and am certainly not a professor. I am merely a student of Literature much like you (this is my final year!), and this is just my input based on my own school's policies for academic honesty (yours should probably have their own policies that you should check and see if they match up with mine).

It's not a matter of plagiarising yourself as much as it's a matter of "cheating," as defined by my school at least. One of several possible examples of cheating given in our policy document is "Submitting the work one has done for one class or project to a second class, or as a second project, without the prior informed consent of the relevant instructors," which is essentially what's going on here. It's pretty dumb, all things considered. I mean, you wrote it, right?

It would be an absurdly, ABSURDLY harsh punishment over this to nail you with any serious disciplinary penalties (automatic failure of the course, mark on your record, etc etc etc.) However, if your school has a provision for "cheating" by reusing material between papers, it is probably within your professor's power/authority to dock marks from the paper, and you might be at their mercy. Hopefully your prof is cool and it doesn't come to that!

Played Dust: an Elyssian Tail today again, love the game play, pretty meh on the art style.
Also, playing through Persona 1, I'm liking it, though the leveling system is just clunky. The MC and Maki are at Level 38 while the rest are in the low 30s.

Hmm, don't we normally see the website updates by now? Wonder if they're not doing movies this week with the new PSC.

PSC was just a preview for this weeks trailer, this weeks trailers will involve all of the Investigation team and SEES licking flans.
pmTkInR.gif

Caladrius

Do you know when that's supposed to come out in the West?

Sometime during the Fall.

Well, I think that the actual grading of my paper is still up to the teacher and the TA and I've done reasonably well in the class to this point, but this paper is the single biggest amount of points for any assignment for two classes I don't know if will be offered again when I'm back here in the Fall.

Just feeling end of semester pressure is all, I guess.

Try not to sweat it too much. As mentioned by other people, it's unlikely to be anything severe.

CorvoSol

I am not an authority on this situation, I have never been a Teaching Assistant and am certainly not a professor. I am merely a student of Literature much like you (this is my final year!), and this is just my input based on my own school's policies for academic honesty (yours should probably have their own policies that you should check and see if they match up with mine).

It's not a matter of plagiarising yourself as much as it's a matter of "cheating," as defined by my school at least. One of several possible examples of cheating given in our policy document is "Submitting the work one has done for one class or project to a second class, or as a second project, without the prior informed consent of the relevant instructors," which is essentially what's going on here. It's pretty dumb, all things considered. I mean, you wrote it, right?

It would be an absurdly, ABSURDLY harsh punishment over this to nail you with any serious disciplinary penalties (automatic failure of the course, mark on your record, etc etc etc.) However, if your school has a provision for "cheating" by reusing material between papers, it is probably within your professor's power/authority to dock marks from the paper, and you might be at their mercy. Hopefully your prof is cool and it doesn't come to that!

I'm not worried about getting slapped with any hard penalties. I'm just worried about flunking the papers and how that'll affect my GPA since the papers are the biggest assignment in the two classes. And to a lesser extent losing face with the professor, who is so far the #1 prof I can go to ask for letters of recommendation.

In hindsight I should've spent more time differentiating the papers, but I thought I'd done a good enough job of that. In reality I think I was just really lost on what to do with those papers and that's why they turned out how they did.

Top Bottom