• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

Persona 1

Don't forget, you're [in Deva Yuga] forever.

As in, if you take this turn here, you fall back to the beginning! PLEASE ENJOY SEEING YOUR WHOLE TEAM GET CHARMED IN UNAVOIDABLE BACKATTACKS!

Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog

Sophia

Contarian King is kicking my ass at level 26 on Hard. WTF. One Rampage and it's over. Bufula from Jack Frost doesn't do more damage than Chie doing damage with Bufu by lowering his defense first, so what is the point of getting that on Jack Frost?

As I say this, I beat him the fourth time around by him not using Rampage but once. Having to revive Yukiko to Recarm Yosuke and then do healing Duty while Seta and Chie Bufu him to death (with Seta lowering his hit and defense for maxium Bufula damage).

Not too bad for that fight, I guess. But damn that's a hard optional boss on a JRPG beginning. Forgot how bad he sucked since I blocked that memory from P4 PS2...

Lowering his hit and defense rate is pretty much the key to beating him, so good job figuring that out on your own. Basically as long as no party member takes all three hits of Rampage, you're fine.

todd360

Regarding the Podcast, could you guys give me some suggestions on what to do while listening to it? I have listened to some of the early ones and really enjoyed, but I never know what to do while listening to them D:

I always listen when driving to school or in bed when I don't feel like sleeping yet lol.

CorvoSol

qcjx5UL.gif

Persona 1

I just finished Deva Yuga.

Maki is a Shadow. Mai and Aki are also Maki's Shadows. The ENTIRE ANOTHER WORLD IS MAKI'S SHADOW WORLD DUNGEON. Holy shit. My brain can't handle this. Holy shit. And now I don't have a healer.

I mean, on the one hand, it was obvious that Mai and Aki were connected to Maki, but it hadn't dawned on me that Mai, Aki, and Another Maki were all Maki's Shadows, and that this entire world was her Shadow World Dungeon.

qcjx5UL.gif

Persona 1

Maki is a Shadow. Mai and Aki are also Maki's Shadows. The ENTIRE ANOTHER WORLD IS MAKI'S SHADOW WORLD DUNGEON. Holy shit. My brain can't handle this. Holy shit. And now I don't have a healer.

I mean, on the one hand, it was obvious that Mai and Aki were connected to Maki, but it hadn't dawned on me that Mai, Aki, and Another Maki were all Maki's Shadows, and that this entire world was her Shadow World Dungeon.

And people thought that Teddie was the first Shadow party member.

14du.png

Acid08

Banned
qcjx5UL.gif

Persona 1

That's a really awesome plot point. The more I've thought about P1 the more I like it. Really cool game.

CorvoSol

Until this moment I was sorta pretty meh about P1. I wish I could've been this far before the podcast, as it might've colored my comments on it in that a bit more. This is an excellent turn, and I appreciate it a lot more because of what it means in the context of later games in the series. Justifies all I've gone through to get this far in the game.

Until this moment I was sorta pretty meh about P1. I wish I could've been this far before the podcast, as it might've colored my comments on it in that a bit more. This is an excellent turn, and I appreciate it a lot more because of what it means in the context of later games in the series. Justifies all I've gone through to get this far in the game.

Good to hear man!

Same to you Acid

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lowering his hit and defense rate is pretty much the key to beating him, so good job figuring that out on your own. Basically as long as no party member takes all three hits of Rampage, you're fine.

Just one correction: They aren't really Shadows. Just split personalities/"Personae" from Maki, IIRC. The whole other world is
from her desire to go back to school

But yeah, until you reach that part of the main story P1 is a complete slog and barely there story-wise.

PK Gaming

Just one correction: They aren't really Shadows. Just split personalities/"Personae" from Maki, IIRC. The whole other world is

But yeah, until you reach that part of the main story P1 is a complete slog and barely there story-wise.

And what are shadows?

No, there's mistaking that Maki and Ai are shadows in the literal sense. Aspects of the self that you aren't consciously aware of/passively rejecting.

Acid08

Banned

Would definitely not say it is a total slog because the combat is pretty quick and fun. It is pretty light on story though. P2 has been the exact opposite so far.

TheSeks

And what are shadows?

Demons, in a sense.

I understand you're coming from P4's terms of it, but that's not really fitting in P1's case. Maki
was schizophrenic
if I remember right. Or something to that effect to the Nanjo group testing on her as a kid. This is what causes the whole P1 incident.

But it's been a few years since I played P1 and given how minimal the story is there my memory is fuzzy.

Would definitely not say it is a total slog because the combat is pretty quick and fun. It is pretty light on story though. P2 has been the exact opposite so far.

Nah, P2's is faster since you can set your turns up and auto-battle. Only changing if you're in a boss fight and something screws up or if you need to change commands.

Set Maya or whoever on healing duty to heal. Kick ass with the rest. The only tedious part of P2's is the conversation with demon systems for contract cards.

Acid08

Banned
Nah, P2's is faster since you can set your turns up and auto-battle. Only changing if you're in a boss fight and something screws up or if you need to change commands.

Set Maya or whoever on healing duty to heal. Kick ass with the rest. The only tedious part of P2's is the conversation with demon systems for contract cards.
Even with animations turned off and auto battle on things take longer. P1 is super snappy by comparison.

There's always that one enemy in a P2 dungeon that will reflect whatever fusion spell you're using and wipe your party members. Then you have to set up something different and reset the turn order after. It's tedious.

Demons, in a sense.

I understand you're coming from P4's terms of it, but that's not really fitting in P1's case. Maki
was schizophrenic
if I remember right. Or something to that effect to the Nanjo group testing on her as a kid. This is what causes the whole P1 incident.

But it's been a few years since I played P1 and given how minimal the story is there my memory is fuzzy.

The PSP versions kind of retrofitted a little of the modern Persona lore into the older ones in subtle way. Also, in the unlocalized P2EPP Tatsuya Scenarios, they basically hint that
The demons of P2 are products of people's subconscious, like Shadows, very similar in fact.

PK Gaming

Demons, in a sense.

was schizophrenic

The experiments caused Maki's psyche to be split into several different personalities. That's not really schizophrenia.

Aside from appearance, there's nothing inherently demonic about shadows; they're born from humans. They're the negative aspects of a person that are subconsciously rejected.

Persona 1 and Persona 2/4 simple handle them in different ways. Persona 1 veers closer to the traditional definition of a shadow:
Michael Fordham said:
The shadow contains, besides the personal shadow, the shadow of society ... fed by the neglected and repressed collective values
Whereas Persona 2/4 shadows mostly embody the negative aspect of a person.

Same concept, different execution.

CorvoSol

Kandori literally calls them Shadows. He uses that word. Until he used it, I wouldn't have said anything, but he drops that word.

P4A

Dammit, Naoto's story mode was interesting until I got to Mayonaka Arena and then it immediately crumbled into the same sloggy bullshit the rest of the game's plot is. Does the manga do any job of making this bullshit plot cohesive? It's an interesting story, but the assholish way they went about making it a nightmare to put together pisses me off.

Also Naoto fucking sucks. Every chapter has been a steady improvement in my ability to play this game. Then I get to Naoto and I get creamed every fucking fight. Jeez.

Two things are immediately questionable now, though:
How the fuck does the gummint know Naoto has a Persona? I mean, sure, Adachi's probably spilled the beans on the TV and shadows and shit, but I didn't realize he'd apparently fessed up that the IT had personae, too. And how does Shadow Labrys know enough about the Investigation Team to imitate their shadows and distort their friends' words to that same effect? Kinda weird.

I just wish the way the plot was told in this game wasn't such a shitty mess.

A question regarding Persona Q
I confused about the timeline
Shinji and MC of P3 are alive in Persona 3
And in Persona 4, have all the members in the party/investigation team faced their 'true selves' yet? Have their Persona awakened? Because for example Naoto awakens really late in the game timeline

And just another weird question --> how will Atlus deal with character relationships between the MCs and their party members? You'd expect Rise to be still all over P4's MC again but wonder how the rest will react.

P4A

Dammit, Naoto's story mode was interesting until I got to Mayonaka Arena and then it immediately crumbled into the same sloggy bullshit the rest of the game's plot is. Does the manga do any job of making this bullshit plot cohesive? It's an interesting story, but the assholish way they went about making it a nightmare to put together pisses me off.

Also Naoto fucking sucks. Every chapter has been a steady improvement in my ability to play this game. Then I get to Naoto and I get creamed every fucking fight. Jeez.

Two things are immediately questionable now, though:
How the fuck does the gummint know Naoto has a Persona? I mean, sure, Adachi's probably spilled the beans on the TV and shadows and shit, but I didn't realize he'd apparently fessed up that the IT had personae, too. And how does Shadow Labrys know enough about the Investigation Team to imitate their shadows and distort their friends' words to that same effect? Kinda weird.

I just wish the way the plot was told in this game wasn't such a shitty mess.

Yeah, we were just talking a couple of hours ago that they need to find a better way to tell the story in P4AU. This shouldn't happen again.

Also, it's interesting (for me at least) that you're having trouble using Naoto, because that's who I main :p Who do you like to use the most? We gotta play online on of these days

Oh, look! A very positive toaster! It's awesome, Pan!
Buddha will love it sooooooo much

CorvoSol

Yeah, we were just talking a couple of hours ago that they need to find a better way to tell the story in P4AU. This shouldn't happen again.

Also, it's interesting (for me at least) that you're having trouble using Naoto, because that's who I main :p Who do you like to use the most? We gotta play online on of these days

Oh, look! A very positive toaster! It's awesome, Pan!
Buddha will love it sooooooo much

Honestly, so far Yukiko has been my favorite to play as.

kewlmyc

A question regarding Persona Q
I confused about the timeline
Shinji and MC of P3 are alive in Persona 3
And in Persona 4, have all the members in the party/investigation team faced their 'true selves' yet? Have their Persona awakened? Because for example Naoto awakens really late in the game timeline

And just another weird question --> how will Atlus deal with character relationships between the MCs and their party members? You'd expect Rise to be still all over P4's MC again but wonder how the rest will react.
SEES time travels to the meet up with the P4 gang during the P4 cultural festival. This happens around the P3 cultural festival timeframe.

Can't answer the second question since the game isn't out yet.

When I first played Arena, I was planning on maining Yukiko. I liked playing as her, but then I played Naoto's story and I really fell for her playstyle. I dunno why, but she kinda just clicked with me.

I'm only good with Naoto and semi-decent with Yukiko and Narukami now lol

Yukiko and Narukami are my favorites in Arena.

And now that Labrys Maya pic made my morning too

It just makes me happy in general really...

NOW SOMEONE DRAW MAYA AS LABRYS WITH A BIG ASS PINK AXE

I am at about 7 hours into P4G, and it is really picking up. I like the fact that there is so much you can do after school and you get to pick. I find myself spending a lot of time with Marie, not sure if that is something I will regret?

Style

Banned
Persona 1

I am glad to see that you are enjoying Persona 1, CorvoSol! I also played Persona 1 some time ago and was pleasantly surprised. I thought the plot would be more simple, but I really liked how it turned out. Like I used to say, Persona 1 is like
one of the dungeons from Persona 4, except its a whole game revolving around one character only.
In other words its like you said
someone threw Maki in to a TV

Also some other thoughts on the ongoing Persona 1 discussion:

I do not think that Maki have a multiple personality disorder. The whole Persona franchise kind of rely the whole "you have multiple faces" aspect. Each of her shadows were born from different desires and parts of her psyche. I do not know where you are in the story at the moment so I will stop from going further in to it for now.

By the way some of the tracks between the original and the PSP version have been modified or removed all together. They are not that important to the experience, but there are a couple of tracks that changes the perspective on Maki and Kandori's relationship. On some of the old tracks you could hear Maki and Kandori having conversations. It helps emphasize that they have a legitimate relationship whereas without them it might seem like Kandori is exploiting Maki.

I am at about 7 hours into P4G, and it is really picking up. I like the fact that there is so much you can do after school and you get to pick. I find myself spending a lot of time with Marie, not sure if that is something I will regret?

Not sure what you mean but it's better to spend a day on a social link than not.

A lot of people here will tell you that you'll regret only because they hate her.
Apart from that, there's no problem hanging out with Marie, but I suggest prioritizing spending your time with your team members, as that's really helpful. You can however choose to spend your time however you want, without any consequence.

Edit: Joining a club is also a social link.

FluxWaveZ

A lot of people here will tell you that you'll regret only because they hate her.
Apart from that, there's no problem hanging out with Marie, but I suggest prioritizing spending your time with your team members, as that's really helpful. You can however choose to spend your time however you want, without any consequence.

I don't think a lot of people would say that here, given that hanging out with her is essential for a lot of the bonus content in Persona 4 Golden.

Guess Who

Banned
Prioritize your party members for social links since they get new skills as you go through. Also a good idea to do a bit of research on what Personas you may find useful and make sure their arcana's social link is leveled up as well for a nice EXP boost when you fuse.

Other than that hang out with whoever. Don't stress out too much, especially on a first play-through. Just try to do social links when you can and do other stuff when you don't have social links available, like rainy days.

cj_iwakura

Also some other thoughts on the ongoing Persona 1 discussion:

I do not think that Maki have a multiple personality disorder. The whole Persona franchise kind of rely the whole "you have multiple faces" aspect. Each of her shadows were born from different desires and parts of her psyche. I do not know where you are in the story at the moment so I will stop from going further in to it for now.

By the way some of the tracks between the original and the PSP version have been modified or removed all together. They are not that important to the experience, but there are a couple of tracks that changes the perspective on Maki and Kandori's relationship. On some of the old tracks you could hear Maki and Kandori having conversations. It helps emphasize that they have a legitimate relationship whereas without them it might seem like Kandori is exploiting Maki.

Heh, I'm in Deva Yuga in P1 PS1 now, and I think that's the track you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAgJKJbD0sE

Surreal stuff, sounds like it was lifted from an old film though.

TheSeks

Ugh. Ran out of SP doing both the optional bosses for the first two dungeons in P4tG. Now I gotta pay the fox to finish the main dungeon or SOS... something that gives very little SP gain.

Why doesn't Victory Cry work on the whole party!? ARGH.

Top Bottom