• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

I don't have a source (just browsing twitter, reddit, etc), but i keep hearing people say that it sounds like a reform school, but the cast is there because of society failing them, and not the character's faults at all that they are there.

If this is true, it makes sense with the theme.

EDIT= Found a source

Post 1: https://twitter.com/avestal/status/563792686549712896

Post 2: https://twitter.com/avestal/status/563792925180444672

Post 3: https://twitter.com/avestal/status/563793075139407872

Andrew Vestal himself is guessing and making an assumption, and his entire tweets rely on it.

We'll have to wait to see what Famitsu says next week. It should have a lot of information about the entire cast.

I definitely don't think it's a reform school. If it was, they would have made that detail more apparent. Such schools usually have run-down standard (sailor or blazer) uniforms too, because they're cheap. Not the fancy uniforms the school kids appear to wear in the trailer.

I don't think it's a reform school, but a regular high school.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150867572&postcount=4714

Seeing your explanation and the actual wording for myself, yeah, this is not a reform school.

I don't think it's a reform school, but a regular high school.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150867572&postcount=4714

Ah, ok. I still think they are in a Chaotic Good situation, where they are interpreted as delinquents, but looking at it in the big picture, they are doing more good than bad

Andrew Vestal himself is guessing and making an assumption, and his entire tweets rely on it.

We'll have to wait to see what Famitsu says next week. It should have a lot of information about the entire cast.

Ah, ok. Thought it was a translation, and not speculation

FluxWaveZ

Ah, ok. I still think they are in a Chaotic Good situation, where they are interpreted as delinquents, but looking at it in the big picture, they are doing more good than bad

We already know they're not villains, if that's what you're taking a stance on:
But the main characters… are they thieves!?

Hashino: It’s interesting you refer to them in that way specifically because one of the things that inspired us to make this question to begin with was how, say, a classic, iconic thief in the vein of Lupin III might win the hearts and minds of people in today’s day and age if they were out running around today. There have been a lot of books and films over the years that explored the sorts of lives that thieves live and how they’re able to shake up the world with what many would perceive to be sheer brazenness, but that’s not ground that’s very well covered in games and we intend to rectify that. We want our players to be able to empathize with these characters and enjoy seeing what they get themselves into and we’re giving it everything we’ve got to make sure that comes through loud and clear in the final game.

QuadOpto

Where are people getting "Shuujin Gakuen" from?
The P-Channel has it as "Juvenile Gakuen".

Just gonna ask, are you using Google Translate?

'Cuz the issue with Google Translate, especially with japanese, is that they'll translate symbols such Kanji, which can have multiple meanings and multiple spellings, and give them whatever translation is used the most by their system.

The "Shuu Jin" that means "Prisoner" (Which is the correct translation for the context of "Juvenile") is 囚人, which does not seem to be the same Kanji that is being used to refer to the school name, which means it could have an entirely different meaning.

Even if it does mean it, I'm pretty sure it's more of a reference to the theme of P5 than a real study of the students who go there; after all, none of the students we see, even in the classroom shot, look like delinquents or people of ill-repute.

The whole "Juvenile Detention Center" thing is really just a rumor that spread itself without any confirmation.

I do personally believe that the main characters themselves might not be "good" students though; Ryuji dyes his hair and it seems like the Protagonist doesn't pay attention much attention in class. No clue about Anzu, but if she really is part-foreign she might be just simply an outcast because of that.

I think that they might not necessarily be "delinquents", but rather don't show much care or focus in regards to school; an obligation that chains them down, when they have another life of running around at night.

Dantis

P4D comparison, because I think looking at these things is cool:
B9MirxoIcAA0VuK.png:orig

Atlus knows what they're doing.

Sophia

The whole "Juvenile Detention Center" thing is really just a rumor that spread itself without any confirmation.

Someone created an entire character page at TVTropes based upon it. It's fucking infuriating. I know the site has no notability, but there's a difference between that and going into the complete realm of fanficton. -.-

Dantis

Do we know it's P Studio doing it?
What if it's the Miku people.

...Because we know that P Studio are making it? Because it was confirmed back in, like, September or whatever? Dingo were taken off the project, and it's now being directed by Arena's director. Meguro has also left, and has been replaced by Ryota Koduka.

Someone created an entire character page at TVTropes based upon it. It's fucking infuriating. I know the site has no notability, but there's a difference between that and going into the complete realm of fanficton. -.-

The game's main character, a juvenile delinquent whose rebelliousness earned him a trip to reform school. After gaining his Persona, he begins moonlighting as a Gentleman Thief known as "The Phantom." In combat, he utilizes knives and handguns.

Oh wow, it's even worse than it was yesterday

...Because we know that P Studio are making it? Because it was confirmed back in, like, September or whatever? Dingo were taken off the project, and it's now being directed by Arena's director. Meguro has also left, and has been replaced by Ryota Koduka.

But how do you know Sega isn't doing the grunt work?

Setsu00

I like how Rise looks much more expressive in the P Studio version. They also reduced her cleavage, which is another plus.

Honestly, the improved animations are one of the main reasons why I'm looking forward to P5 since it offers a way to give the characters more personality without having to spell everything out.

Dantis

But how do you know Sega isn't doing the grunt work?

Because they probably would have mentioned it. Sega's logo wasn't in the trailer at all, just a small copyright at the end. Atlus and P-Studio's logos were in the trailer.

In the press release when they announced that they were taking over development, they said just that, that P-Studio was taking over development.

There's no more evidence that Sega is doing the gruntwork here than there is that they're working on Persona 5.

But it doesn't matter anyway, because the important point is that the game has been largely rebooted by a different team, and seemingly for the better. Whether it's P-Studio or Sega, it looks nicer than I think anyone would have expected.

I like how Rise looks much more expressive in the P Studio version. They also reduced her cleavage, which is another plus.

Honestly, the improved animations are one of the main reasons why I'm looking forward to P5 since it offers a way to give the characters more personality without having to spell everything out.

The expression is miles better, yeah. The lighting is much closer to Soejima's art too, and the backlight is a really nice touch.

QuadOpto

Oh wow.

I frequent the forums there, and took a look at what you're talking about...It's even worse than the normal fan fic splurge people put up.

I can probably change and remove all that, since no misinformation is better than some, but it probably won't matter much if someone decides to change it back.

Even though we didnt see Yukiko in the dingo one I really like her face design it has in the new P4D trailer. Look like thy are 3d model ripped straigh out of Catherine, so that means good 3d models that look nearly exactly like the Soejima art.

Nap1400

Part of the reason I'm trying to avoid that page. As soon as I saw that someone made a character page I thought "isn't this a bit early for that?" 'Tis what happens when you let anyone edit the pages, I guess.

FluxWaveZ

I honestly have no idea since this is my first time following a Persona release. Do they usually drop heavy spoilers?

For Persona 3 and Persona 4, they were announced with 17 minute DVD trailers which spoiled a lot of scenes in their games. Released today with a crowd who analyze every little aspect of it meticulously, they'd probably ruin a lot of their novelty.

P4AU and PQ are obviously different from a mainline RPG, though they didn't spoil too much of their respective stories. Music, some set pieces and scenes were still spoiled if you followed their media cycles closely, however.

So we now have Early Morning, which looks to have playable sections, Morning in school, Afternoon as normal, and Evening to plan/take part in dungeons.

For Persona 3 and Persona 4, they were announced with 17 minute DVD trailers which spoiled a lot of scenes in their games. Released today with a crowd who analyze every little aspect of it meticulously, they'd probably ruin a lot of their novelty.

P4AU and PQ are obviously different from a mainline RPG, though they didn't spoil too much of their respective stories. Music, some set pieces and scenes were still spoiled if you followed their media cycles closely, however.

See, on the one hand, I kinda want to do a blackout, but seeing I broke it within a week of Persona Q being released last time I tried I have no idea if I should even bother or even start this soon.

Just watched the love hotel scene from the second P3 movie.
I was not disappointed.

I can't stop listening to 'Dance!', send help.

Tell me about it, it's like a drug, I can't get enough of it.
It's pretty amazing how much great music we've been getting out of the franchise.

QuadOpto

I honestly just want the real, full opening and a release date. Possibly the battle theme.

You can expect there to be a tidal wide of information coming out once they release the Blu-Ray with P4D in June, so that's when I'll probably tune out on most threads, provided they give out stuff on the level of P3' and P4's 17 minute long trailers.

FluxWaveZ

Something interesting I found here in the translation.

In Persona 4, the only time you can go to the TV world and do your Persona fighting was during Afternoon time.

Here, it seems you can do it at the evening time as well.

If dungeon crawling is associated with heists, evening might be the only time you can carry them out. Persona 3's SEES could only access Tartarus at night, too.

JNA

Banned
If dungeon crawling is associated with heists, evening might be the only time you can carry them out. Persona 3's SEES could only access Tartarus at night, too.

True.

Than again I still haven't played Persona 3 yet do to waiting for a definite Vita version...

...somehow I feel like that would get made about as much as the Last Guardian at this point. -_-

Based on the trailers so far I feel like Atlus is going to keep large spoilers close to the chest, the two trailers we've got have been cut in a way that avoids spoilers while also managing to bring up more questions. Hopefully future trailers are like this as I consider these past two trailers (especially the most recent) to be some of the best put together trailers I've seen for a game.

Busaiku

I really hope they keep the quality up for the animated scenes, instead of the stuff in Persona 3/4.
Ugh, I absolutely hated looking at those. The OPs were always fine, but then you get the game stuff, and it's just bleh.

FluxWaveZ

I'd kinda feel alright about seeing a few more 3-4 minute promotional videos for the game like this one (about 1 per 45 days or so until release) but, as referred to above, it's that special P4D Blu-ray video coming out in June that's scary. Assuming it's like the P3 and P4 Famitsu DVDs, there's no way I'll be paying attention to that stuff.

I wonder if a scenario where that Blu-ray comes out on June 25th, and then Persona 5 is released in July could happen. Would be interesting.

So I skimmed through P3 and P4's promo videos, and...

P3's actually isn't spoilery to the point where I would be super concerned (Only the first hour or so of gameplay, a few boss shadows with no context and most party members, though that's spoiled by the Opening)

P4's however, is very spoilery, what with it showing
Shadow Yosuke and Yukiko, though it's just the latter's Midnight Channel footage
. It also has the first hour or so of gameplay, and party members, but again, the opening spoils that.

True.

Than again I still haven't played Persona 3 yet do to waiting for a definite Vita version...

...somehow I feel like that would get made about as much as the Last Guardian at this point. -_-

I lost all hope for a definitive version of P3 after P5's gameplay teaser

I have a feeling P4: DAN is Atlus' last project on P3 and P4

Unless they have a specific reason for potentially holding back a P3 definitive version even FARTHER than P5...

Busaiku

Honestly, I'm disappointed that they just didn't stick with models for the entire thing, since they look, so much better the "standard" animated scenes.
Though the more stylistic scenes, like the sliding down the stairs, the parkour, the highway skating look great. But then stuff like the phantom or the escalator scene, I don't really care much for.

DNAbro

I don't know how much I can hold back. I spoiled all of PQ's music but I don't want to do it for P5. I literally had no idea what was going to happen in P3 and 4 and I kind of want that feeling for P5.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I skimmed through P3 and P4's promo videos, and...

P3's actually isn't spoilery to the point where I would be super concerned (Only the first hour or so of gameplay, a few boss shadows with no context and most party members, though that's spoiled by the Opening)

P4's however, is very spoilery, what with it showing
Shadow Yosuke and Yukiko, though it's just the latter's Midnight Channel footage
. It also has the first hour or so of gameplay, and party members, but again, the opening spoils that.

Eh, that's like 2 hours of spoilers in a 70+ hour game though.

I'd kinda feel alright about seeing a few more 3-4 minute promotional videos for the game like this one (about 1 per 45 days or so until release) but, as referred to above, it's that special P4D Blu-ray video coming out in June that's scary. Assuming it's like the P3 and P4 Famitsu DVDs, there's no way I'll be paying attention to that stuff.

I wonder if a scenario where that Blu-ray comes out on June 25th, and then Persona 5 is released in July could happen. Would be interesting.
I agree that a P5 blu ray that's similar to the P3 and P4 DVDs would be something to avoid, though I also feel like there's not much else I want to see from the game, apart from some brief combat and social link footage. That said I'd still watch some more 3 minute trailers, as long as they were as tightly edited as this one.

I'd say it's a possibility, assuming it's a big chunk of footage like P3 and P4 it would make sense for that to be the last thing before launch.

Logash

So it is very likely that the DAN Blu Ray is something like this correct?

Sophia

Oh wow.

I frequent the forums there, and took a look at what you're talking about...It's even worse than the normal fan fic splurge people put up.

I can probably change and remove all that, since no misinformation is better than some, but it probably won't matter much if someone decides to change it back.

I implore you to try if you can. The edits I made initially have yet to be undone, so it might be possible if you explain yourself (NICELY!) in the reasoning.

anyone think the psvita can handle a proper p5 port down the track? i think so yes. p5 looks like akiba's trip 2's style.

I think a graphically scaled down port to the Vita is possible based upon what we've seen. That being said, we have't seen much yet, so it's really hard to say without seeing the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom