• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which part is subjective? That it's creepy?

I was as flustered as could be and wrapped both my arms tightly around myself, wanting to hide my breasts, but instead achieved the opposite effect and ended up emphasizing my cleavage even more.

“It’s true. I’m not lying. You’re really stylish and your bust is even bigger than mine!”

Kujikawa-san let out an “Ei!” and prodded my breast with her fingertip. In my surprise, a “Hyaa!” escaped my throat in a voice that I would normally never imagine using.

“And also... Is it just my imagination, or have your breasts become quite magnificent compared to three years ago?”

Just a casual morning breast-capade.

Dantis

I can see why you could argue that it isn't creepy if you've only read the opening, because the opening makes so little sense that you can't really draw anything from it. The part where a guy is trying to rip off Naoto's clothes (to examine her, obviously!) and is only stopped by someone else when she starts to cry, seems less defensible though.

I can see why you could argue that it isn't creepy if you've only read the opening, because the opening makes so little sense that you can't really draw anything from it. The part where a guy is trying to rip off Naoto's clothes (to examine her, obviously!) and is only stopped by someone else when she starts to cry, seems less defensible though.

You make that sound worse than it is.

But yes, that scene is a little disturbing more than creepy.

Setsu00

What are people's opinions on the Naoto light novels?

I'd argue that the novel is a lot better than what most people would like you to believe. It's still far away from a good book, especially due to the egregious focus on fanservice and Naoto's characterization.

Jintor

I believe I started trying to rewrite the Suzumiya Haruhi light novels when I was like 16 or something and almost certainly was a better writer than the stuff that eventually was published and put in a book

well, yen press does okay actually, but still

Setsu00

I believe I started trying to rewrite the Suzumiya Haruhi light novels when I was like 16 or something and almost certainly was a better writer than the stuff that eventually was published and put in a book

A friend of mine once told me that some light novel writers get published when they're pretty young, around 13 to 15. I have no idea how accurate that is, but it would certainly explain why some light novels have a horrible style.

Weiss

Banned
Is there some kind of audience that won't check something out unless it has a scene of a teenage girl getting harassed over her boobs? It's so pervasive through series I otherwise really like.

Shmuppers

Even better:

AzkaL88.gif

xD

Jintor

Is there some kind of audience that won't check something out unless it has a scene of a teenage girl getting harassed over her boobs? It's so pervasive through series I otherwise really like.

it's just one of those tropes that has become ubiquitous in certain demographic-aimed media in Japan, probably at least partially because of the differing attitude to sex jokes

Really random but also one of the best things I have ever seen in my life.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sJi5C3JVlFY

Never realized how well Persona goes with Seinfield. XD

Indeed! This is great!

Too bad I never could finish the collection of scenes I had in my mind for the parody, but here are some of them:
seinfeldpersonaspitwioakis.png

obrien-velvet-limo08pmv.gif

thepitchexamplezkrtg.png

Ove got also character art of Elaine, Kramer and Newman, but their scenes where never finished.

Like a rewrite trying to tell the story better or a translation? Now im curious.

We should have a contest on here that we have to rewrite a chapter from PxD.

You have to keep the main plot points the same but you can make any other changes you like.

Im sure gaf could write a better light novel than that crap XD

Or we'd make it more creepy somehow, depends on who writes it :p

Setsu00

I'm currently reading an interview with Hashino and Soejima that was included in the Catherine artbook and it's really interesting. For example, Hashino mentions that his staff members were pretty unsure about creating a game like Catherine in the beginning. Soejima was the only one who liked the idea at first.

They also explain how the movie Buffalo '66 became a big influence, especially for the characters. Catherine was based on Christina Ricci's character while Vincent's name and appearence are basically lifted from Vincent Gallo. The reasoning behind this is rather funny: Since the staff had no proper idea of America, they had to use resort to films. One of the game's endings
(Kathrine's true ending)
is also an hommage to Hollywood films among other things.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd take an adult long haired naoto, but the long hair has too look like it actually came from the short hair...the light novel doesn't even look like her

Eh, after a certain length you can trim out most inconsistencies that is present in someone who grew out from a short hairstyle.

I'm just for short hair all the time.

Dantis

First change: make her hair short again.

I like long-haired Naoto. :(

I'd take an adult long haired naoto, but the long hair has too look like it actually came from the short hair...the light novel doesn't even look like her

She looks just like Naoto on the cover.

I'm currently reading an interview with Hashino and Soejima that was included in the Catherine artbook and it's really interesting. For example, Hashino mentions that his staff members were pretty unsure about creating a game like Catherine in the beginning. Soejima was the only one who liked the idea at first.

They also explain how the movie Buffalo '66 became a big influence, especially for the characters. Catherine was based on Christina Ricci's character while Vincent's name and appearence are basically lifted from Vincent Gallo. The reasoning behind this is rather funny: Since the staff had no proper idea of America, they had to use resort to films. One of the game's endings
(Kathrine's true ending)
is also an hommage to Hollywood films among other things.

I was actually wanting to re-read this a few months back. PM me the link?

Naoto's longhaired design is bad. It's like someone stuck a rug to the back of her head. In general I find "very long hair" to be a lazy way of showing character aging. Also tends to reveal that the artist has no idea how fast hair actually grows.

Indeed! This is great!

Too bad I never could finish the collection of scenes I had in my mind for the parody, but here are some of them:
Ove got also character art of Elaine, Kramer and Newman, but their scenes where never finished.
Holy shit, these are awesome. Bania as the Velvet Room attendant caught me completely off guard.

Dantis

Naoto's longhaired design is bad. It's like someone stuck a rug to the back of her head. In general I find "very long hair" to be a lazy way of showing character aging.

Pretty sure the intent was to make her more feminine and more attractive, which was why they gave her long hair. In fact, it makes no sense that her hair would grow that long in such a small space of time.

I like Chie's hair and overall desing a lot. That type of bowl hair is difficult to pull of, but I think Chie's design and some cosplayers dressing as Chie pulled it off really well.

Literally just rewriting already translated sentences to seem less stiff and bullshit. (I still can't read Japanese well enough yo)

Interesting. I read the Haruhi visual novels from the official spanish translations and they didnt seem too bad in stiffness.

Holy shit, these are awesome. Bania as the Velvet Room attendant caught me completely off guard.

Thanks! I tried to give him the clothes Kramer gives him (it was hard looking at shitty quality youtube videos to see any details), you can see Uma Thurman's telephone number written on the paper in his pocket lol

Setsu00

Naoto's longhaired design is bad. It's like someone stuck a rug to the back of her head. In general I find "very long hair" to be a lazy way of showing character aging. Also tends to reveal that the artist has no idea how fast hair actually grows.

Longhaired Naoto makes perfect sense as a progression of her P4 character arc as Dantis pointed out.

I know what the intent of Naoto's redesign was, I'm just saying it's not good, and pretty lazy. Longer hair is fine, a ratty blue rug taped to the back of her head isn't.

This is why the golden epilogue designs are so great, they changed how the characters looked just enough so that you could see development but not change them completely.

Except kanji. And to a lesser extent yukiko.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Maybe I'm missing the golden context seeing that I've never played P4G but what about naoto's route implied that she wanted to grow her hair out?

Dantis

Maybe I'm missing the golden context seeing that I've never played P4G but what about naoto's route implied that she wanted to grow her hair out?

It's not that it's implied, it's that it fits her as a character.

Naoto isn't meant to be upset or afraid or embarrassed or whatever that she's a girl; she thinks that it will hinder her ambitions for the future, and she'll be judged negatively by those above her.

you don't like Chie's hair?
nope, love her design otherwise, and realize the hair fits the athleticism, but I still dont like the hair
It's not that it's implied, it's that it fits her as a character.

Naoto isn't meant to be upset or afraid or embarrassed or whatever that she's a girl; she thinks that it will hinder her ambitions for the future, and she'll be judged negatively by those above her.
Naoto's romance also shows that she is a bit lost on figuring out who she wants to be. Yu can guide her by asking her to stop throwing her voice deeply, which will lead to her showing off the female uniform for him. On valentine's day she just straight up admits that she is changing and doesn't know if its to try and impress Yu, or if its because she wants to.

So, Naoto being more girly is something she is leaning towards, but is unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom