• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

Banned

About the same time as Orlando and Johnny reveal they're having it. "I thought only men had that dream. I guess gender doesn't matter." is the line used, which is followed up by "Well, I'm not sure about that." Shit like this makes it clear that the characters think of her as, at the very least, not a real woman.

I like Catherine, and
Erica
is clearly meant to be likeable and sympathetic, but it's possible to write that and also be incredibly discriminatory.

PK Gaming

Erica
was an awesome character, but the game treated her status as a transwoman as a joke. She's implied to be experiencing the dreams (which exclusively involve men) and at the end of the game, her love interest discovers the truth and begs to be a virgin again.

The only reason she was lauded is because video games, by and large, have never had a trans character actually matter before, and she was still just a joke in the end.

Wow, I emphatically disagree with everything you've said there, and you're actually off base on a few things.

It's not implied. She outright experiences the nightmares on the 6th day because she's preventing Toby from being in a relationship that could result in children. The reasoning behind the dreams themselves are silly, but completely justified in-universe.

As for Erica's relationship with Toby... well it's problematic by virtue of it being a "gotcha!" but by the end of True Ending, Toby is still together with Erica. Not that i'm trying to justify it (it's definitely problematic) but it doesn't ruin her entire character.

Erica
is awesome. She isn't a status or a gimmick, but her own fully realized character. She isn't a special snowflake, but she isn't left out of the group either. While it's true that her friends can be incredibly insensitive at times, I've always felt that it was because they were all massive ignorant douchebags with their own insecurities. It's pretty obvious that out of everyone in the group, she's the one that has it the most together.

FluxWaveZ

It's not implied. She outright experiences the nightmares on the 6th day because she's preventing Toby from being in a relationship that could result in children. The reasoning behind the dreams themselves are silly, but completely justified in-universe.

Ah, that's right. This makes sense.

Still gotta go back to the game and clear Axis Mundi.

Also want to see the alleged non-Persona game P Studio is working on.

What alleged non-Persona game? I don't think they've ever said anything about an unannounced project P Studio's working on.

Not sure what I can add to the
Erica
discussion.

Um...
In the True Ending, she mentions Mutton won't stop hitting on her. Any thoughts on that?

EDIT: I suppose I take that as
Mutton not being transphobic. Or am I wrong?

LX_Theo

Banned
Really? I distinctly remember you mentioning something like that. Now I'm disappointed.
Altus has teased a game to be released in a couple years they've yet to reveal or give details on. Maybe that is what you're thinking of. No info on what team would be working on it though

FluxWaveZ

Altus has teased a game to be released in a couple years they've yet to reveal or give details on. Maybe that is what you're thinking of. No info on what team would be working on it though

He might also be thinking of one of the new IP Atlus has in development. Meguro was the one who said they have unannounced titles in development that aren't Persona 5. It wasn't stated that P Studio is involved with any of the unannounced games, however.

Relatedly, it seems that Etrian Mystery Dungeon was successful, which is cool. The remaining Atlus games that have been announced are now P5, P4D and EOV. I'm guessing we'll hear about something else, sooner than later.

FluxWaveZ

One of those games has to be to do with that Deviliser trademark filed back in 2013, right?

Possibly. Team Maniax has been actively developing an upcoming game, and "Deviliser" sounds like what they could be working on. What we know announced as of now:

1. Persona 4: Dancing All Night (2015-06-25)
2. Persona 5 (2015)
3. Etrian Odyssey V (TBD)

Then, there are these projects which are unknown:

1. Team Maniax game
2. 2017 game
3. New IP (cited as being a "new IP" in terms of how Catherine and Dragon's Crown were)
4. New IP #2 (at least, because they cited more than one)
5. Deviliser (trademark)
6. Storie (trademark)

Likely, some of those separately listed projects are one and the same.

Even considering some of those are likely the same that's still a good amount of games, especially when you consider that once P5 comes out that will result in a bunch of additional stuff with the eventual spin offs. As someone who only got into Atlus games recently it's exciting to not only have a huge backlog to delve into but also a bunch of new stuff on the horizon.

FluxWaveZ

I really would have wanted Break Out Of..., Fog and I'll Face Myself -Battle- as part of the P4D music list. Hopefully the remixes are great; they've got a bunch of talented artists working on it, after all. My favorite new P4D tracks so far are both Kozuka composed: Dance! and the redone Junes theme.

I really would have wanted Break Out Of..., Fog and I'll Face Myself -Battle- as part of the P4D music list. Hopefully the remixes are great; they've got a bunch of talented artists working on it, after all. My favorite new P4D tracks so far are both Kozuka composed: Dance! and the redone Junes theme.

My favourite remix, based on what we've heard at least, is Now I Know. I'll have to see if that changes once we hear every track in their entirety.

Also, I apologize if this is old, but this post on reddit pointed out an interesting coincidence(?). Mid-P4 spoilers:
P4D comes out on 6/25, the same day that Rise's dungeon opens up in P4.

Rubedo

Yeah, i definitely prefer FeMC, but P3MC will forever remain in a special place in my heart. I projected myself WAY too much into him to just forget him.

I like her but I almost wish she had her own game rather than P3. Her bubbly personality just seems so odd compared to the male version when the themes of the game are apathy, depression, anxiety, and death.

FluxWaveZ

Also, I apologize if this is old, but this post on reddit pointed out an interesting coincidence(?). Mid-P4 spoilers:
P4D comes out on 6/25, the same day that Rise's dungeon opens up in P4.

Ha, that's definitely pure coincidence, but it's fun all the same.

Or it's not, and September 17th is Persona 5's release date.

What's not a coincidence is how they release the Persona 3 Movies in theaters on full moon days. They're really into that full moon motif, when it comes to publicizing P3M.

DNAbro

What's not a coincidence is how they release the Persona 3 Movies in theaters on full moon days. They're really into that full moon motif, when it comes to publicizing P3M.

i mean it could come out then.

Wait, why?

LX_Theo

Banned

I will say. I could see them talking about what day to release with an idea of release window already in mind. Then someone brings up that timing. Then they all think its clever and go with it.

kajigoddess

Neo Member
Hey has anyone seen the PQ mangas yet. I just realized they're on the Crunchyroll manga roster. (Though they're only for premium members. :( )

I've seen the first two chapters of the P4 side and the first chapter of the P3 side. They seem pretty slow so far, but I'll give it a few more volumes. Honestly, I want to see what they do with the second dungeon
and those crazy destined partner questions.
Also, they're not only for premium members; the most recent chapter is free, but older chapters are not. I'm pretty sure you can jump in now though, I don't think they've covered beyond the first hour of gameplay yet. Now have a random panel from the manga.

kajigoddess

Neo Member
Random urge to link the Taylor Swift song.

Unfortunately, that's also what I thought of when I saw that panel. -_- And since I just read Chapter 2 of the P3 side, I take back what I said about the manga being slow. It follows the game dialogue closely, but the talking heads are paneled in interesting ways. And there's a
pretty cool action sequence with Orpheus.
Maybe the P3 side is just better-paced? The second chapter of the P4 side had
a few pages of boring recap.

FluxWaveZ

The Atlus company website's recruitment page was updated on March 6th and I'm not sure if this new Atlus employee interview page was updated then or before.

108061-sa381089-1.jpg

If I'm interpreting a part of the interview correctly, it seems the young woman's been working on Persona 5 as a junior scenario/system writer. She says that development on the game's been moving steadily, and that her role on it is approaching its end.

108061-sa381089-3.jpg

Edit: The interview only lists her as "N.Kさん", but it's more than likely that she's Nanako Kobayashi, who worked as an event planner for Persona Q.

PK Gaming

I've seen the first two chapters of the P4 side and the first chapter of the P3 side. They seem pretty slow so far, but I'll give it a few more volumes. Honestly, I want to see what they do with the second dungeon
and those crazy destined partner questions.
Also, they're not only for premium members; the most recent chapter is free, but older chapters are not. I'm pretty sure you can jump in now though, I don't think they've covered beyond the first hour of gameplay yet. Now have a random panel from the manga.

LDUkncA.png

The Atlus company website's recruitment page was updated on March 6th and I'm not sure if this new Atlus employee interview page was updated then or before.

108061-sa381089-1.jpg

If I'm interpreting a part of the interview correctly, it seems the young woman's been working on Persona 5 as a junior scenario/system writer. She says that development on the game's been moving steadily, and that her role on it is approaching its end.

108061-sa381089-3.jpg

Edit: The interview only lists her as "N.Kさん", but it's more than likely that she's Nanako Kobayashi, who worked as an event planner for Persona Q.

I like playing the spin offs just for the sake of playing them, but I'm also impressed by how much good they (seemingly) do for the company. They extended the brand to different genres, got some extra funding, and as these interviews show, got some new talent used to production on a smaller scale before going to bigger projects. Google Translate kinda garbled the guy's interview, so unfortunately I didn't really understand what exactly he did/has done. But if I understood the girl's interview right, it sounds like she helped write a lot of the side dialogue for PQ, which was one of the best parts of the game. If that is the case, it certainly seems promising that she's working on P5 now.

I kinda want my own goat themed sweater now.

1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) What are your thoughts on the Kanamin trailer?

Haven't posted or been around much, but boy do I love me some lists.
1) Makoto
2) P3 FES
3) The Almighty
4) P3's Ending
5) Io
6) The Sun link from P3. Akinari I think?
7) Meh, when's Yosuke?

FluxWaveZ

I like playing the spin offs just for the sake of playing them, but I'm also impressed by how much good they (seemingly) do for the company. They extended the brand to different genres, got some extra funding, and as these interviews show, got some new talent used to production on a smaller scale before going to bigger projects. Google Translate kinda garbled the guy's interview, so unfortunately I didn't really understand what exactly he did/has done. But if I understood the girl's interview right, it sounds like she helped write a lot of the side dialogue for PQ, which was one of the best parts of the game. If that is the case, it certainly seems promising that she's working on P5 now.

I kinda want my own goat themed sweater now.

You're right, their interview shows another benefit for the spin-offs, which is how they are good for human resources. Her role in Persona Q as a newbie was probably noticeable enough for her to be assigned to a more significant project as only her second Atlus game, with Persona 5.

Both of these interviewees are 2013 graduates, so this is only their second year working for Atlus. The man works for Atlus' Creative department 1st Production, while the woman works for Atlus' Creative department 2nd Production (aka P Studio).

108061-sa381089-2.jpg

So what I'm getting from H.Iさん's interview is that he's a programmer who's working on the "field team" on his ongoing project, alongside the UI team and the battle team. He describes his role as being related to the "basic screens for character action", such as going to shops and initiating battles, and he works closely with the UI team so that the visual elements are well implemented. He's actually still working on the same project he has been since he started working for Atlus, so it's a game that's been in development since at least 2013 and hasn't been announced yet. It's also an RPG, and he says something about its content being novel.

You're right, their interview shows another benefit for the spin-offs, which is how they are good for human resources. Her role in Persona Q as a newbie was probably noticeable enough for her to be assigned to a more significant project as only her second Atlus game, with Persona 5.

Both of these interviewees are 2013 graduates, so this is only their second year working for Atlus. The man works for Atlus' Creative department 1st Production, while the woman works for Atlus' Creative department 2nd Production (aka P Studio).

108061-sa381089-2.jpg

So what I'm getting from H.Iさん's interview is that he's a programmer who's working on the "field team" on his ongoing project, alongside the UI team and the battle team. He describes his role as being related to the "basic screens for character action", such as going to shops and initiating battles, and he works closely with the UI team so that the visual elements are well implemented. He's actually still working on the same project he has been since he started working for Atlus, so it's a game that's been in development since at least 2013 and hasn't been announced yet. It's also an RPG, and he says something about its content being novel.

That second project sounds interesting. there was a composer that said Atlus was working on a surprising unannounced project last year too: http://www.*****************/2014/04/30/atlus-teases-unannounced-and-surprising-game-in-development/. That would line up with it being novel. looking forward to seeing what that is now. Nice find.

It is good to see that Atlus seem to be putting a focus on gaining new talent, I wonder if we might end up seeing a Persona game in a few years without Hashino, Soejima or Maguro in major roles, like Atlus did with SMT IV.

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

I don't post a lot but why the heck not.
1) FeMC
2) Persona 4 Golden
3) Choosing between Backside of the TV and Way of Life is so hard, I'd probably go with Way of Life.
4) Another hard question, this might sound like a silly answer but I loved the movie dates in one of the holidays in p3.
5) Trumpeter, no question about it.
6) Saori
7) I actually liked it, I was surprised how different she was from what I expected, I especially liked her VA.

LiK

Good lord, watching the GB P4 ER and I can't believe some of my favorite scenes in P4G isn't in OG P4. Kinda shocked how well they were implemented into Golden.

Rubedo

Good lord, watching the GB P4 ER and I can't believe some of my favorite scenes in P4G isn't in OG P4. Kinda shocked how well they were implemented into Golden.

I like that they filled in some of the empty days. It always sucks when there's a storm or whatever for no reason than to move the calendar forward.

LiK

I like that they filled in some of the empty days. It always sucks when there's a storm or whatever for no reason than to move the calendar forward.

yea, so many things were added into Golden. I am pretty glad Golden was the one I played first.

LX_Theo

Banned
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

We're doing this, then, eh? List are fun, I guess.

1) Yosuke, Rise, or (P4 spoiler)
Adachi
2) P4G
3) I'll Face Myself Reincarnation Version
4) P4 (
Either when Nanako "dies" or the true ending. So much feels either way.
)
5) Kaguya
6) Akinari Kamiki
7) Her art scares me

arue

I just read Flux's article on his website and Atlus sounds like a really a great company to work with. It's good to hear that new recruits like N.K gets a chance to contribute her ideas to the main game and I wonder what would be the game that H.I. have been working on.

I noticed that both recruits praised SMT III (Nocturne) highly. I need to play Nocturne now.

Levito

Banned
Maybe don't be the one telling everyone how tasteful a portrayal is or not if you're not the one being portrayed.

Yup, exactly. Representation matters, and those being represented really are the ones that really have a say in whether or not it's a "good" representation or not.

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

Haven't posted around here a whole lot, but I love the SMT/Persona community

1. Aigis or Maya
2. P4
3. Maya's Theme (P2 - Innocent Sin) or I'll Face Myself (P4 - Boss theme)
4. Beach Trip in P4G, just a bunch of friends spending the day together and not worrying about shadows. I like it because it has the entire group.
5. Black Frost, I have a strong attachment because I fused all 4 elements as early as you can fuse it in P4 and it was so good it lasted me until the final dungeon
6. Rise's, but I really liked the minor character S.links in P4 too - the kid you tutored, Kou/Daisuke, even Ai after you get a couple ranks in. I thought the P4 S.Links were almost always better than the P3 S.Links.
7. Haven't watched it yet but I'm pretty excited for DAN in general.

How so? Persona is all about friendships man.

I just feel like Pursuing My True Self ties in better to the overall story than Shadow World does.

Dont get me wrong, I know they both have similar lyrical content, and like you said, Persona 4 is all about friendships, and Shadow World portrays that really well. But Pursuing not only has that, but also encompasses the themes of media influence and, as evidenced in the title, being true to oneself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom