• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

84X

Banned
Late but...

1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) What are your thoughts on the Kanamin trailer?

1) I'll just say Rise
2) P4/P4G
3) Probably Reach Out to the Truth honestly...
4) There's so many but P4's Hospital scenes and True Ending stick with me the most.
5) Izanagi, Tsukuyomi, Hades
6) Nanako and Dojima
7) >_>

On a whim, I asked x84 to draw Yu "like a king"

I was expecting... well I don't know what I was expecting, but this is what I got

Bogen zum König

I'm sure many despise this representation of Yu but hail to the king, baby.

Rubedo

The nurse is probably the only link that I don't remember what in the world it's about. And I even maxed her. I think that shows how much of a impact it left.

I mean I don't neccesarily like some of the other links but at least they made me feel something. Being apathetic towards something means it has absolutely failed.

CorvoSol

She doesn't learn, she just stops for no given reason.

Doesn't she stop hitting on you because the wife of the man she was cheating with at her last job shows up in Inaba? The two events aren't directly related, but I always figured that was the reason. Being reminded of past actions like that probably cooled her jets.

Doesn't she stop hitting on you because the wife of the man she was cheating with at her last job shows up in Inaba? The two events aren't directly related, but I always figured that was the reason. Being reminded of past actions like that probably cooled her jets.

Close. The man's wife tracks her down and gets into an (offscreen, but heard) fight with her.

LX_Theo

Banned
Her SL was nice. It felt like it was all about regaining perspective on what is important to a person instead of band-aiding it (w/ lots of sex)

PK Gaming

Just gonna quote myself since i'm lazy

Sayoko's social link goes to complete shit when the sex-well dries up. I'm not even joking. Because even if it was lowbrow and somewhat creepy, at least it was entertaining.

Her social link offers nothing of value. It's just dull and uninspired, and filled with platitudes about life. I love how she gets this HUGE epiphany towards the end, and acts like you made her realize the errors of her ways or some shit. You don't do a damn thing!

If i'm not trying to max out every slink, I bail after the 3rd rank.

EDIT: Geez i've been nothing but hard on the P4 slinks as of late. I really like them, honest. Literally every other social link ranges from good to amazing.

Meia

The tone of the nurse's link does change greatly. This isn't necessarily bad, but given what her link is(Devil), it doesn't really make much sense. It'd be like if Tanaka all of a sudden at rank 5 broke down crying, stopped being a conman, and gave away ALL of his money to charity.

It doesn't help that her link changes that fast, then nothing of note happens in it at all for like 5 or 6 ranks after that. That whole arc needed to last the entirety of her link probably, exploring why she acts as she does to Yu. It's explained somewhat, but requires a lot of reading between lines when they really had time to flat out say. Shit, one of her link ranks *literally* is just her saying "nice work", something she always says on times you spend time with her...

Come to think of it, pacing problems also probably effected Yumi's as well, as the link quickly becomes something else too, and also something that could have been built up to...

Sophia

The tone of the nurse's link does change greatly. This isn't necessarily bad, but given what her link is(Devil), it doesn't really make much sense. It'd be like if Tanaka all of a sudden at rank 5 broke down crying, stopped being a conman, and gave away ALL of his money to charity.

That's not what the Devil means in tarot readings. The Devil is a card that represents bondage and the negative aspects of one's life. The errors of one's way. Doubting your goals, doubting your actions, unable to progress forward, move on. Given this, it's application for Sayoko is actually more accurate than how it was associated with Tanaka. Tanaka represented the unhealthiness that comes from his obsession with money, but Sayoko is a very different interpretation. It represents her inability to escape the past (
the doctor who comes to Inaba just to argue and scold her
) and the inability to progress because she lost sight of why
she became a nurse in the first place.

It's very well applied, like most of the tarot motifs in P3 and P4.

That's not what the Devil means in tarot readings. The Devil is a card that represents bondage and the negative aspects of one's life. The errors of one's way. Doubting your goals, doubting your actions, unable to progress forward, move on. Given this, it's application for Sayoko is actually more accurate than how it was associated with Tanaka. Tanaka represented the unhealthiness that comes from his obsession with money, but Sayoko is a very different interpretation. It represents her inability to escape the past (
the doctor who comes to Inaba just to argue and scold her
) and the inability to progress because she lost sight of why
she became a nurse in the first place.

It's very well applied, like most of the tarot motifs in P3 and P4.

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you learn the meanings of the different tarot cards? It's something I've wanted to know for a while, so I could figure out how/if they're applied in social links, but I never really knew where to look. Would Wikipedia be fairly accurate?

Sophia

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you learn the meanings of the different tarot cards? It's something I've wanted to know for a while, so I could figure out how/if they're applied in social links, but I never really knew where to look. Would Wikipedia be fairly accurate?

I learned them from various sources. Wikipedia has some information, but I recommend going here: http://learntarot.com/top.htm

It has by far some of the best explanations of the common cards and their roles. I also recommend reading The Fool's Journey, as the plotlines of both Persona 3 and Persona 4 follow it fairly closely.

Not all decks have the same cards. Usually, the representation is of the Rider Waite deck. But sometimes they borrow alternative interpretations (Aigis in P3, Marie and Adachi in P4G), this site tells you the more well know cards. The ones you find in the aforementioned RW deck and based off it.

One of these days I want to do a write up of The Fool's Journey, and apply every step of it to Persona 3's plotline. Shame it's so late, or I'd do it right now while I'm motivated...

I just realized I never did this

2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link

1. Naoto
2. Persona 4 Golden
3. Mass Destruction
4. Op. Babe Hunt Pt. 2
5. Atavaka
6. Yumi
7. Does she seriously fucking call herself a cow?

I learned them from various sources. Wikipedia has some information, but I recommend going here: http://learntarot.com/top.htm

It has by far some of the best explanations of the common cards and their roles. I also recommend reading The Fool's Journey, as the plotlines of both Persona 3 and Persona 4 follow it fairly closely.

Not all decks have the same cards. Usually, the representation is of the Rider Waite deck. But sometimes they borrow alternative interpretations (Aigis in P3, Marie and Adachi in P4G), this site tells you the more well know cards. The ones you find in the aforementioned RW deck and based off it.

One of these days I want to do a write up of The Fool's Journey, and apply every step of it to Persona 3's plotline. Shame it's so late, or I'd do it right now while I'm motivated...

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the links!

I don't know if this counts as motivation, but I'd love to read that Fool's Journey/Persona 3 write up. If nothing else, whenever you do write that, you have at least one reader, haha.

NichM

Banned

I did this once, but never posted it anywhere. I wonder if I could still find the doc...

Setsu00

Good old Google translate. "Bogen zum König." either means "Arc (leading) to (the) King." or "Bow (the one an archer uses, not the verb 'to bow') to King."

Try "Verbeugt euch vor dem König." ;)

"Verneigt euch vor dem König" would probably be even better, but that's just nitpicking.

CorvoSol

We learned about the Hero's Journey in a class of mine this Semester. It's surprising how well they did at combining both The Journey and the Messianic Archetype for Persona 3. Of course, since the Messianic Archetype and The Journey are more or less joined at the hip anyway I guess it's a no brainer, but still.

Like, it's kinda amazing how you can stop and go "Well let's see, at this point in Persona 3,
Makoto gets crucified.
" which is obvious, but then you go "and before that he was
betrayed by a close ally.
" Again, obvious, but you keep winding back and you go "Also, before that he
was having dinner with his friends.
"

Or like how we had that whole conversation here one time about the Descent and Resurrection segments.

I'm not the biggest fan of P3, but I do find myself appreciating it more as time goes on.

Persona 5 protagonist off of the design alone
2) favorite persona game
Persona 3
3) favorite persona song
Soul Phrase
When the Makoto awakens Orpheus
5) favorite persona
Apollo
6) favorite s.link
Yukari
Didn't watch

PK Gaming

Good old Google translate. "Bogen zum König." either means "Arc (leading) to (the) King." or "Bow (the one an archer uses, not the verb 'to bow') to King."

Try "Verbeugt euch vor dem König." ;)

Thanks. I owe you one!

Persona Central posted a sales chart for the Persona series
Persona-Japan-Sales-Data.png

Sophia

I started doing that writeup I mentioned. I'm up to the The Hierophant. If you were to print this out, it would take up almost two pages right now. And seeing as this is just a first draft, I'll probably go back and add more to it. I started adding comparisons between the arcana of the characters and their Personas, so I'll probably go back and add such comparisons for those I missed in a later draft. ><

I started doing that writeup I mentioned. I'm up to the The Hierophant. If you were to print this out, it would take up almost two pages right now. And seeing as this is just a first draft, I'll probably go back and add more to it. I started adding comparisons between the arcana of the characters and their Personas, so I'll probably go back and add such comparisons for those I missed in a later draft. ><
I love this kind of stuff so I'm excited about this.

Edit: Just got to the third dungeon in PQ and I didn't realise I was using three characters with a weakness to garu in my front row, I'm now getting destroyed.

• I was thinking about those DAN tutorial videos, and how Teddie never really clarified what Frenzy was. It's probably just earning a higher score for a little while, but I wonder if that's when the personas come into play. Like Izanagi playing the guitar.
  • Speaking of DAN, Valerie Arem (who's the VA director for the Persona games, and also the voice of Naoto now) tweeted this earlier today. Could just mean she's a fan of dance parties, but it probably means that VA recording has started.
  • Some of the descriptions of the major arcanas sound a lot like Hashino's comments on the themes of P5. Devil and Tower especially. Here are some examples, taken from this site that Sophia linked:
    Devil said:
    He is the knot of ignorance and hopelessness lodged within each of us at some level. The seductive attractions of the material bind us so compellingly that we often do not even realize our slavery to them.
    Tower said:
    How can the Fool free himself from the Devil? Can he root out his influence? The Fool may only find release through the sudden change represented by the Tower.

cj_iwakura

If you're really interested in reading and studying the Tarot, buy a deck. Serious, they come with detailed instructions. Personally I have a Mage: The Awakening Deck, and I use the Supernal Keys to the Tarot as a resource.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Devil also be read as temptation? Something trying to keep you away from your goals?

If you're really interested in reading and studying the Tarot, buy a deck. Serious, they come with detailed instructions. Personally I have a Mage: The Awakening Deck, and I use the Supernal Keys to the Tarot as a resource.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Devil also be read as temptation? Something trying to keep you away from your goals?

Oh cool, I didn't know decks came with instructions. I might have to look into that.

Yeah, temptation's a part of the Devil as well (from what I've read anyway), but my understanding is that the thing that keeps you away from your goals is yourself and your lack of self-control. Not really an external force trying to keep you away from your goals. I just quoted the control/slavery line because it seemed the most relevant to Hashino talking about P5.

cj_iwakura

Oh cool, I didn't know decks came with instructions. I might have to look into that.

Yeah, temptation's a part of the Devil as well (from what I've read anyway), but my understanding is that the thing that keeps you away from your goals is yourself and your lack of self-control. Not really an external force trying to keep you away from your goals. I just quoted the control/slavery line because it seemed the most relevant to Hashino talking about P5.

Oh, and if you happen to have the PQ/P4A 2 bonus cards, that's not a full deck. You need the lesser arcana to do a proper full reading. The worst card in the deck is actually in the Sword suit.

Oh, and if you happen to have the PQ/P4A 2 bonus cards, that's not a full deck. You need the lesser arcana to do a proper full reading. The worst card in the deck is actually in the Sword suit.

I actually have a deck from a con I went to last year, and it has the Sword suit, but only a generic example of it. No specific numbers, and certainly no face cards. So it's closer, but still useless for readings, haha.

cj_iwakura

This is my deck:

200908-03Daily.jpg

I originally bought it because I love the universe, but they happen to come with fantastic instructions as well. Each card is explained in detail, both for general reading and applying it to the Mage universe.

Yeah, I saw that too. I was kinda hoping she was talking about Chie, but since she was pretty vague, I assumed there was a chance it was something else. The two together pretty much confirm it, if there was any doubt.

This is my deck:

200908-03Daily.jpg

I originally bought it because I love the universe, but they happen to come with fantastic instructions as well. Each card is explained in detail, both for general reading and applying it to the Mage universe.

No to mention the artwork is really good. Those look awesome.

I'm really looking forward to it! I'm very interested in this along with psychology.

Dantis

If they've just started recording Dancing All Night, then that probably means that the US release won't be too far the JP one, right?

Makio

I hope we get that P5 DVD too.

I hope we get it too, i want that preorders packs. But for sure the "special video" of p5 hits Youtube the 25th June , damn like the second movie of p3 (hitting internet the same day of his release).
-----

I love to hear they already working in the dub of Dancing All Night, i dont know about that localizaton stuff but i hint a August release (maybe).

And talking about the Dub Version of DAN wonder who gets the role of Kanamin in the english version

I want something like Kate Higgins or Christine Marie Cabanos i think they can nail the role.

(i want to say Cristina Vee or Cassandra Lee Morris but those two are my top choices for a role in Persona 5).

But yeah in other hand i think Kanamin gonna have a "newcomer" VA like Rei in Q (Ashly Burch) or Margaret in Ultimax (Marisha Ray).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yukiko
2) favorite persona game
Persona 4
3) favorite persona song
Nevermore
Ending of Persona 4
5) favorite persona
Callisto
6) favorite s.link
Kanji
Fine.

Meia

So you accumulate points as you play, and you can use this to "buy" costumes in-game? Interesting, had figured all of the costumes we've seen so far were going to be paid DLC. Wonder which is going to be which...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom