• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arue

that art is pretty bad
I think the nose and the eyes have gotten pretty bad post-Arena.

At least his soft shading style still looks good.
Persona_5_Hero.png

Persona 3: The Movie #2 - Midsummer Knight's Dream

It's been so long that I had forgotten how much better P3's story is than P4's.

I had also forgotten how poorly paced P3 the game is during the middle section, yet this movie's extremely uneven pacing manages to capture the mid-game drag that occurs during this part of the year. Most of this portion of P3 was dedicated to "The Explaining of Everything" and so are large portions of the film. Furthermore I had forgotten how underwhelming Strega were in the story of P3 and they were disappointing in this film too.

The 2 films released so far require the viewer to have at least some familiarity with the source material, which makes it baffling why they make the new character introductions somehow both rushed and drawn out at the same time. This is only one problem with the film's pacing, but in general the scripting seems a step down from the first film too.

I don't know if this film suffers from "Trilogy Middle Film Syndrome" but even the fights are a bit flat compared to the effort put into the first film. In general I was surprsingly bored for large portions of the film, because as with the game, this whole part of the year is mainly used to explain stuff and to set up the events of later in the year. The direction and art design seems to try to make up for the limitations of the source material, but outside of the final 10 minutes or so, it's just not as good as the first film.

That said, the ending is still a gut punch and reminds me why I greatly prefer the story and charactrers of P3, warts and all, over the story and characters of P4. To a large extent, I've always thought of the supporting cast of P4 as nothing more than a bunch of people who exist in order to serve the MC's will. But all of P3's cast were their own people, with their own desires, hopes, ambitions, emotions, and lives to live, and they all kind of came to the group for their own reasons. And unlike in P4, there is agonizing loss and the supporting cast must find their courage to live and move on in the face of unspeakable tragedy. They could have presented some of this material better but the overall impact of the story is not lost.

I'm really looking forward to the third movie, I expect that shit is gonna get super real as overall the first two movies have been quite competent in telling the story of P3.

Nimby

Banned
At least Atlus doesn't leave you wondering how to pronounce the titles of their games.

Kingdom Hearts: Three Five Eight Days Over Two.

And at least The Ultimax: Ultra Suplex Hold is fun to say.

I actually forgot about Ultimax.

The character art looks excellent so far actually.

Dantis

That picture looks fine all together. Pretty sure the spinoff stuff is just bad because he's spending less time on it.

84X

Banned
Besides the character portraits nothing has seemed particularly bad to me.

It's obvious the spinoffs aren't his highest priority though, and with P5 they really shouldn't be.

Risette

A Good Citizen
his p5 art is fine, the design for the MC is a bit generic but the art quality is good. those kanamin kitchen characters though? yikes.

his p5 art is fine, the design for the MC is a bit generic but the art quality is good. those kanamin kitchen characters though? yikes.

They look like they're from two or three unrelated games. Like, Sumomo and Tomoe look bizarre next to each other with that art.

84X

Banned
I find the DAN cover humorous because it really shows the difference Soejima "caring" makes. Kanami and especially Rise both look fantastic and at least what I'd expect from Soejima, where as the IT and Nanako look as if they were quickly drawn over 3D models. I'm not sure if that's actually what happened but there's a clear difference in quality on that boxart.

Actually on this subject, the initial Yu and Rise P4D character artworks looked like they were drawn over 3D models as well. The revised versions look a lot better... or maybe it's better to say more stylized, which I think goes a long way.

The portraits in p4d don't look ALL BAD, the p4g characters still look very good.

The only portraits that look weird are the kanamin kitchen characters (kanamin still looks alright). I think this is deliberate because you guys remember how Hikaru looked weird?

You get it

Sophia

The 2 films released so far require the viewer to have at least some familiarity with the source material, which makes it baffling why they make the new character introductions somehow both rushed and drawn out at the same time. This is only one problem with the film's pacing, but in general the scripting seems a step down from the first film too.

For what it's worth, the first film had a pretty big audience at it's premier in Japan that hadn't played the game. No idea on the second film, but I'd be surprised if the statistics were different given the positive reception.

If there's any one P4 character I want to see in future mainline Personas it's Kashiwagi. I dunno why, but I'm imagining a Kashiwagi with graying hair in, like, P6 or P7 hitting on guys at a local bar. That'd be funny.

Dantis

Actually on this subject, the initial Yu and Rise P4D character artworks looked like they were drawn over 3D models as well. The revised versions look a lot better... or maybe it's better to say more stylized, which I think goes a long way.
That's because that is what he did. He did it with the new art too, he just drew over them more, I guess.

The old Rise art looked miles better. The new one is hideous.

Hey guys, finally got a Vita so have been playing through P4G for the first time ever! I loved P3 (although I somehow did 2 playthroughs and never finished the final dungeon... I have this weird habit of never finishing the final dungeon of JRPGs)

Thought I'd just post some of my reactions. I'm about halfway through June, just after the camping trip. Overall I'm pretty impressed by this game, but I'm disappointed by a few things. Firstly, I love that the general quirkiness has increased. More minigames are great, and the music's wonderful. However... I pretty much like all of the characters less. The dialogue portraits are also a lot less charming and expressive. There's nothing fantastic like all of Junpei's hilarious expressions. Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko don't seem to have very expressive portraits... I also don't like Chie's VA. She's constantly shouting, it's kind of grating. Yosuke seems super bland as the main 'buddy' guy. The story is... really, really, really slow. I didn't mind it but since Kanji got kidnapped and rescued it's been absolutely glacial. The atmosphere is very much diminished compared to P3 too.... I don't mind that it's different, but there just isn't very much happening, I guess. Okay, someone's kidnapping people and chucking them into the TV, but we've known this for months. Is there ever more stuff than just this going on? P3 was good about constantly introducing small backstory (and kind of alternate lines being built in Strega) details as the game progressed, which was instrumental in building a sense of intrigue.

Eeek, I probably sound way too negative about it for a game that I'm actually really enjoying. I just find it a bit funny that the narrative elements seem to have died off a lot compared to P3. Although it appears i'm about to get Rise soon so maybe it all picks up now...?

Hey guys, finally got a Vita so have been playing through P4G for the first time ever! I loved P3 (although I somehow did 2 playthroughs and never finished the final dungeon... I have this weird habit of never finishing the final dungeon of JRPGs)

Thought I'd just post some of my reactions. I'm about halfway through June, just after the camping trip. Overall I'm pretty impressed by this game, but I'm disappointed by a few things. Firstly, I love that the general quirkiness has increased. More minigames are great, and the music's wonderful. However... I pretty much like all of the characters less. The dialogue portraits are also a lot less charming and expressive. There's nothing fantastic like all of Junpei's hilarious expressions. Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko don't seem to have very expressive portraits... I also don't like Chie's VA. She's constantly shouting, it's kind of grating. Yosuke seems super bland as the main 'buddy' guy. The story is... really, really, really slow. I didn't mind it but since Kanji got kidnapped and rescued it's been absolutely glacial. The atmosphere is very much diminished compared to P3 too.... I don't mind that it's different, but there just isn't very much happening, I guess. Okay, someone's kidnapping people and chucking them into the TV, but we've known this for months. Is there ever more stuff than just this going on? P3 was good about constantly introducing small backstory (and kind of alternate lines being built in Strega) details as the game progressed, which was instrumental in building a sense of intrigue.

Eeek, I probably sound way too negative about it for a game that I'm actually really enjoying. I just find it a bit funny that the narrative elements seem to have died off a lot compared to P3. Although it appears i'm about to get Rise soon so maybe it all picks up now...?

Well, I'm sorry that the game isn't grabbing you as well as 3 (it was the opposite for me between those two games, but different strokes and all that) but something I can unreservedly agree with is Junpei > Yosuke. Junpei really, really made the first half of 3 very easy for me to settle into. Kanji, who I like, is okay-ish at that but the game's well underway by then and his mood is fully different than Junpei's so it's not really the same. When I played Golden (already beat the PS2 version) I basically spent the first few months of the game waiting for the next few months when I characters I actually liked would show up.

Rise's pretty cool. Yosuke is the worst.

Actually this is refreshing to hear.

Well, I'm sorry that the game isn't grabbing you as well as 3 (it was the opposite for me between those two games, but different strokes and all that) but something I can unreservedly agree with is Junpei > Yosuke. Junpei really, really made the first half of 3 very easy for me to settle into. Kanji, who I like, is okay-ish at that but the game's well underway by then and his mood is fully different than Junpei's so it's not really the same. When I played Golden (already beat the PS2 version) I basically spent the first few months of the game waiting for the next few months when I characters I actually liked would show up.

Rise's pretty cool. Yosuke is the worst.

Yeah, Junpei was great. He had a great VA job too. I loved how moody he was; it was a super nice touch. (And any line of dialogue with the 'freaked out' expression portrait basically killed me)

OK cool, I'm about to get Rise I think so I'm looking forward to that.

Dantis

Chie's VA changed from P4G onwards. In the original P4, the actress gave a much more subdued performance. Some people like the old one more, some people like the new one more.

Chie's VA changed from P4G onwards. In the original P4, the actress gave a much more subdued performance. Some people like the old one more, some people like the new one more.

Oh, wow ok. I haven't played P4 at all before so I've not experienced the previous VA. The main problem is the unnecessary stress on each word, it's just kind of annoying. Not a huge deal or anything. To be fair though her lines aren't fantastic in the first place; I think most of the writing's just been weaker so far

Dantis

Oh, wow ok. I haven't played P4 at all before so I've not experienced the previous VA. The main problem is the unnecessary stress on each word, it's just kind of annoying. Not a huge deal or anything. To be fair though her lines aren't fantastic in the first place; I think most of the writing's just been weaker so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF376Rgxi0E

Watching that reminds me how much better old Chie was. I really like Erin Fitzgerald as a person, and I think she's great in other games, but she's definitely not as good a Chie to me.

Also, I disagree on the writing. Aside from the new scenes in Golden having sometimes-shonky writing, I think it's miles better than Persona 3.

In P3, I felt like characters like Mitsuru and Akihiko were very flat and unbelievable compare to the P4 cast. Junpei and Yukari were the only ones with real depth, in my opinion. And Aigis, I guess, but she has a weird development.

Watching that reminds me how much better old Chie was. I really like Erin Fitzgerald as a person, and I think she's great in other games, but she's definitely not as good a Chie to me.

Also, I disagree on the writing. Aside from the new scenes in Golden having sometimes-shonky writing, I think it's miles better than Persona 3.

In P3, I felt like characters like Mitsuru and Akihiko were very flat and unbelievable compare to the P4 cast. Junpei and Yukari were the only ones with real depth, in my opinion. And Aigis, I guess, but she has a weird development.

Omg that sounds so much better to me than the P4G Chie VA, jeez.

Fair enough.. I liked Akihiko/Junpei/Yukari the most, but I thought the entire P3 cast was pretty good.

I should emphasise that I don't dislike the cast in P4G at all. Although the nicest touch about the core cast in P4G so far IMO is Yukiko's sense of humour :)

I liked Mitsuru and especially Akihiko myself. Yukari was good, too, and Junpei was the best. I couldn't really get behind the rest of them. Except for the dog; he was adorable.

New Chie isn't exactly gangbusters but old Chie never sounded right to me.

cj_iwakura

I remember how skeptical everyone was when her VA was glimpsed in the first teasers, then everyone loved her when it came out. OG Chie just sounded so natural, and it helped that she wasn't part of the usual stable of anime VAs. She was a random actor who just happened to audition.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
New Chie isn't exactly gangbusters but old Chie never sounded right to me.

There's some parts where I can see why people don't like Erin's Chie voice, but there are times where she absolutely nails the character. Old Chie just didn't fit. Was way too mellow for the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom