• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

There's some parts where I can see why people don't like Erin's Chie voice, but there are times where she absolutely nails the character. Old Chie just didn't fit. Was way too mellow for the character.

She sounds natural, though, which is a nice breath of fresh air.

aravuus

Old Chie was fantastic. Not sure about new Chie yet, did the new actor voice Chie's every line again in Golden or is she present only in the added scenes?

cj_iwakura

Thanks, I'm pretty interested in hearing the super controversial new voice. Hope the game arrives tomorrow so I can actually put in some time before TW3 releases.

She was in Arena and Ultimax too.

That's probably why Tracey Rooney hightailed it. One and done, sure, but 'now you get to be Chie forever'?

Deuces!

Meia

The only problem with Erin's take on Chie is a few horrendously done lines over the course of the game. There's like....3 of them, usually when she yells. Oddly enough, when it came time for them to advertise the game, TWO of those were what they chose to show off...

They also are in the beginning of the game, so can only imagine they were really early lines for her. Still wonder why they just don't go back and rerecord them after, ah well.

The only problem with Erin's take on Chie is a few horrendously done lines over the course of the game. There's like....3 of them, usually when she yells. Oddly enough, when it came time for them to advertise the game, TWO of those were what they chose to show off...

They also are in the beginning of the game, so can only imagine they were really early lines for her. Still wonder why they just don't go back and rerecord them after, ah well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD6xGD9RII&ab_channel=AtlusUSA

Is this what you mean? Erin's Chie has some great moments, but she has a few rough ones too... I don't know who at Atlus thought this was a good scene to show off the new acting with, it's probably the worst one in the game for new Chie.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

IIRC, she said they were doing the recording for Golden, Arena and the anime at about the same time so it was a bit of a time crunch. So, the director was probably under a time limit to get everything ready for release.

Meia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD6xGD9RII&ab_channel=AtlusUSA

Is this what you mean? Erin's Chie has some great moments, but she has a few rough ones too... I don't know who at Atlus thought this was a good scene to show off the new acting with, it's probably the worst one in the game for new Chie.

Why yes, that's one of the three. To me, the other chief offenders are the moments where she gets pissed at Yosuke early on, the dvd scene and the rope scene. :p

And yeah, the crunch is probably what did it, but the game should really have priority when it comes to something like that. Those line reads are just.....not good. Which is a shame, since I really liked her every other time in the game. Just, yikes.

And hey, the vid just before they posted that, was another one of those scenes!

Like DH arguments in baseball, old Chie VA vs. new Chie VA fights always boil down to what version you played first.

I played Golden, so I prefer Erin.

84X

Banned
Erin's awesome; Voice Director flubbed a bit at the start; Meat thing long past being funny.

Anyways, sorry for digging a bit:
That's because that is what he did. He did it with the new art too, he just drew over them more, I guess.

The old Rise art looked miles better. The new one is hideous.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say the new ones weren't done over models, just that he did a better job of masking the fact or whatever.

As for the old Rise artwork, eh... after seeing a ridiculously high res version of it, it's hard to say that it was good. I mean half of the details clearly look like pasted in-game textures and the pose itself seems a lot stiffer. However, we're talking about two versions of the same artwork so there's not much else to say that isn't going to be purely subjective.

Anyways, I find it strange that Kanami's artwork wasn't revised. It sorta fits in with DAN's current style but it still sticks out more than it should. Guess they didn't really care since it's Kanami.

JayEH

I'm playing through golden right now and Chie just sounds very whiny to me almost obnoxious. P4 PS2 Chie came off as more natural to me. I've been told by others that it gets better but not liking it so far.

PK Gaming

CEmC6q0VIAID0y3.png

lol

Dantis

Holy shit, this is my life.

There's some parts where I can see why people don't like Erin's Chie voice, but there are times where she absolutely nails the character. Old Chie just didn't fit. Was way too mellow for the character.

I think it depends how you perceive the character. I saw Rooney's Chie as a break from exactly the kind of character that Erin's Chie is. Erin's Chie is a really typical anime tomboy.

LX_Theo

Banned
I played Vanilla PS2 version first, I prefer Erin.

The voice just fits the character waaaaaaaay better.

Well, it usually boils down to what he said. Then again, there are some stragglers like you. I can't say I've heard almost anyone say the opposite of what you're saying though.

Maybe that should be the tiebreaker :p

I think it depends how you perceive the character. I saw Rooney's Chie as a break from exactly the kind of character that Erin's Chie is. Erin's Chie is a really typical anime tomboy.

Part of my issue with the voices is that I largely see Chie as basically that: A typical anime tomboy. For all the good character scenes with her shadow and her Link I don't feel like she develops nearly as much as most of the other characters. And the places she goes don't much interest me. So her original voice feels off for me and the newer voice, rough patches and all, better reflects what I'm seeing and feeling.

Sophia

To be fair, in those cases the performances were far more like the original VAs than Erin's was.

I'm going to have to say "bullshit" on this one. Especially in the case of Margaret in P4G where the random voice actor switch in the middle of dialogue is jarring as all hell. It was incredibly unprofessional of Atlus too.

I'm going to have to say "bullshit" on this one. Especially in the case of
Margaret
where the random voice actor switch in the middle of dialogue is jarring as all hell. It was incredibly unprofessional of Atlus too.

I suppose that's less how subtle the rest of the differences were and more how obvious the difference between the two Chies is.

Sophia

I suppose that's less how subtle the rest of the differences were and more how obvious the difference between the two Chies is.

No, it's not. The two voices in the scene in question couldn't be any different. It is very blatant that Karen Strassman's voice is different from Michelle Ann Dunphy's voice.

Persona 4 spoilers, but this is completely unacceptable in a retail product. The worst part is, the lines aren't even significantly different. Why they felt the need to change is is beyond me.

PK Gaming

I'm going to have to say "bullshit" on this one. Especially in the case of
Margaret in P4G
where the random voice actor switch in the middle of dialogue is jarring as all hell. It was incredibly unprofessional of Atlus too.

For what it's worth, Michelle An Dunphy is completely upfront about what happened; they simply couldn't get her (iirc, she was late in pregnancy at the time?) so they had Karen fill for her.

cj_iwakura

For what it's worth, Michelle An Dunphy is completely upfront about what happened; they simply couldn't get her (iirc, she was late in pregnancy at the time?) so they had Karen fill for her.

Wait, Karen is Ultimax's Margaret? That's kind of disappointing. I love her voice work, but that Margaret... blech.

Sophia

Wait, Karen is Ultimax's Margaret? That's kind of disappointing. I love her voice work, but that Margaret... blech.

No. Karen fills in for some of Margaret's new lines in Golden. This, jarringly, happens during the scene after the
optional boss
with her. So it switches back and fourth between the two.

It also happens with a different character during the story proper too, although it's slightly harder to notice.

Yeah, I don't blame her. The fault belongs to Atlus.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Like DH arguments in baseball, old Chie VA vs. new Chie VA fights always boil down to what version you played first.

I played Golden, so I prefer Erin.

This is spot on.

My team moved from the NL to the AL and I am still trying to get adjusted to their pitchers not going up to bat. :p
I still hate the DH

I think she moved to Seattle.

I'm going to have to say "bullshit" on this one. Especially in the case of Margaret in P4G where the random voice actor switch in the middle of dialogue is jarring as all hell. It was incredibly unprofessional of Atlus too.

No, it's not. The two voices in the scene in question couldn't be any different. It is very blatant that Karen Strassman's voice is different from Michelle Ann Dunphy's voice.

Persona 4 spoilers, but this is completely unacceptable in a retail product. The worst part is, the lines aren't even significantly different. Why they felt the need to change is is beyond me.

Holy SHIT. I.. never noticed that the first time.

Xenoflare

This is spot on.

My team moved from the NL to the AL and I am still trying to get adjusted to their pitchers not going up to bat. :p
I still hate the DH

I think she moved to Seattle.

Holy SHIT. I.. never noticed that the first time.

This confused the hell out of me because Michelle voiced all of the new voices except that part. It's possible that Atlus USA didn't find out after she voiced the other new lines

FluxWaveZ

I believe. I believe in a world where Persona 5 is released August 2015 Japan and October 2015 United States

Not to call you out, but I remember you stating this a few times and, unfortunately, that's not looking to be the case. I was also leaning towards August/September in Japan, by the way.

I wrote this: Persona 5 release window revealed.

Looks like it's gonna be October, November or December in Japan and in NA, if it's not delayed. Kinda evoking simultaneous release vibes, to be honest.

aravuus

Everyone keeps saying 2014 has already beaten 2015 when it comes to RPGs, but I think 2015 is gonna be the winner for me. P5 alone is enough, but in addition we're gonna get stuff like Witcher 3 and Tales of Zestiria and we already got Pillars of Eternity.

e: and I'm probably missing a lot of great RPGs too

aravuus

Eh? What good RPGs came out in 2014?

Wasteland 2 and Divinity: OS come to mind, honestly can't come up with more right now. I just remember Durante's 2015 RPG thread being called something like "bad sequel, but still a good year" etc, so I assume the general opinion is that 2014 was the year of RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom