• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

On Adachi's female fans:

Why

Anywho, We will never, ever, get an easy and simple reveal of anything from Atlus ever. Even when it isn't even Atlus who is revealing it. Our fandom is a constant adventure.

Xenoflare

On Adachi's female fans:

Why

Anywho, We will never, ever, get an easy and simple reveal of anything from Atlus ever. Even when it isn't even Atlus who is revealing it. Our fandom is a constant adventure.

Yeah I don't get it either.

Fans are weird. Lol

Theodoricos

He's one of my favorite characters as well.

Though of course,
what I like about him is that he makes a very effective and unique villain that's very fitting for the game and its themes. He's also a villain that I genuinely wanted to defeat and is one who has genuine presence.

I'm not sure if I agree with people who forgive what he did so easily, though...

Lunar15

Whatever... I guess.

P4 Spoilers:
I mean, he stalked, beat, strangled, and murdered women. Liking him as a villain is one thing, but practically squealing at his reveal in spinoffs is very weird to me.

Dantis

Whatever... I guess.

P4 Spoilers:
I mean, he stalked, beat, strangled, and murdered women. Liking him as a villain is one thing, but practically squealing at his reveal in spinoffs is very weird to me.

Pretty much. I don't understand it at all.

PK Gaming

On Adachi's female fans:

Why
He's handsome, in a dark kind of way.
He has moe tendencies in his unexpected clumsiness.
People find his relationship with Dojima to be sweet.
People love the dynamic he has with Yu in Golden.

What?

EDIT:

Whatever... I guess.

P4 Spoilers:

Your viewpoint is too logical. All of that can be conveniently ignored for the stuff I just mentioned.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
He's handsome, in a dark kind of way.
He has moe tendencies in his unexpected clumsiness.
People find his relationship with Dojima to be sweet.
People love the dynamic he has with Yu in Golden.

What?

EDIT:

Your viewpoint is too logical. All of that can be conveniently ignored for the stuff I just mentioned.

PK. STOP

Lunar15

I mean, it's kind of sad that people can conveniently ignore extraordinarily troubling aspects of a character that because someone's "cute" or something. I mean, we do it all the time, even myself I'm sure, but this seems like that's an extreme case.

Theodoricos

Whatever... I guess.

P4 Spoilers:

What's interesting to me personally is that
Adachi, like most people in Persona 4 itself, is simply very grounded. He doesn't seek to destroy the 4 crystals of the world, he isn't some alien who has come to invade, etc. etc. None of the usual JRPG stuff. He's just a guy. A messed-up guy, but just a guy nonetheless.

I feel like that kind of villain is rarely done, especially in JRPGs. That's a reason why I like him as a villain. I'm certainly not justifying what he's done.

Oh yeah......

But that does it really make it any better no?

Oh it's still terrible, I just mean it's not all that surprising.

EDIT:
Adachi, like most people in Persona 4 itself, is simply very grounded. He doesn't seek to destroy the 4 crystals of the world, he isn't some alien who has come to invade, etc. etc. None of the usual JRPG stuff. He's just a guy. A messed-up guy, but just a guy nonetheless.

I feel like that kind of villain is rarely done, especially in JRPGs. That's a reason why I like him as a villain. I'm certainly not justifying what he's done.

To me,
I like Adachi best because you get to know him as a person
rather than in the games before and after where we suddenly have to sympathize with someone who's only shown themselves to be a nihilistic pissbaby.

Lunar15

I've got no issues liking a character for how well they are characterized in a story.

There are many memorable and even loveable villians, but I think we love them because they are indeed so evil and because of how well they portray their ideals. But squealing and freaking out over a character implies a level of attractiveness in some way, so it really does draw some weird connotations about what people find attractive.

That said, I don't want to create a double standard. There are tons of "sexy" or "attractive" male and female villians in western culture, and I don't think it's an absolute wrong thing to be attracted to them. It's just something with adachi's direct behavior towards women that makes the whole thing feel explicitly off to me, but that's my personal taste, I gues.

This is from the P4D thread in Gaming Discussion:

funky_student_by_pryce14-d6i6ofc.png

Lunar15

Everything he said is true for why that character is popular though. Doesn't have to logical. I find it funny to be honest.

Kinda like how the Joker is the most popular Batman character.

Joker's a good example of a western counterpart. I'm sure he has fangirls (not including Harley Quinn).

Joker's a good example of a western counterpart. I'm sure he has fangirls (not including Harley Quinn).

Every time that guy refers to Batman as "darling", a new cluster of fics are born.

Also, was I the only one who couldn't figure out any of the funky student's riddles and just picked randomly until I was right? They were super difficult!

Love that picture of him, though.
I do fully admit to being a guide-using scrub.

Theodoricos

I've got no issues liking a character for how well they are characterized in a story.

Yeah, there are certainly people who take that too far. I agree with you - I just wanted to make a distinction between
liking someone as a villain in a story and liking them as a person.

Also, was I the only one who couldn't figure out any of the funky student's riddles and just picked randomly until I was right? They were super difficult!

Love that picture of him, though.

Haven't posted in a while but just paid for my P4DAN vita via amiami this morning so at least I'll get it soon.

Now I just need to probably wipe my 4GB card so I can use that for my JP account and probably buy a JP PSN card for the DLC lol.

I'll also be heading to AX, though I won't be covering it as press this year, but rather I'll be working a booth for a friend's company. Will be nice to be able to just "relax" this year versus working on coverage.

Zareka

On the topic of DAN, can anyone explain this Amazon UK listing for the Disco Fever edition? I assumed it was just an import someone put up, but the fact it says it's sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L has thrown me for a bit of a loop. Do they show results from the US store now or something? It'd be great if I didn't need to import should the EU have a significant delay on getting the game.

Drop

To me,
I like Adachi best because you get to know him as a person
rather than in the games before and after where we suddenly have to sympathize with someone who's only shown themselves to be a nihilistic pissbaby.

I agree with both of you, those are the reasons I really like him as a character.
Honestly I'm more surprised to see people thinking that it's weird for him to have a big fanbase. I don't see how liking a character would imply that you agree with what they think or do, that's not what liking a character means at all.

Lunar15

Question: What's Funky Student called in the japanese version? I feel like the whole "Funky" monkier and tone came out of localization.

Theodoricos

I do fully admit to being a guide-using scrub.

Ha, good to know I wasn't the only one. I might as well have done so myself.

I'm kinda hoping he'd somehow make a reapparance in Persona 5, though. Or someone equivalent to him, anyway.

I agree with both of you, those are the reasons I really like him as a character.
Honestly I'm more surprised to see people thinking that it's weird for him to have a big fanbase. I don't see how liking a character would imply that you agree with what they think or do, that's not what liking a character means at all.

Yeah, exactly. I think that's basically what boils down to for most people. There are some who take it to extremes, yes, but others simply like him for the role that he plays.

I don't agree with the attempts to make him so forgiveable in the spin-offs, though. Him helping the Investigation Team reach the true ending was enough, I think.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Mine is still on 'preorder taken' (from Nin-Nin Game). :(

That sucks man. Hopefully it'll change and ship out soon. After watching the unboxing video, can't wait for the slim vita to be my daily driver so my OLED can retire quietly.

To be honest, when I got the email this morning, I thought it was for one of my figures that's supposed to be out this month too but was nice to see that it was for the Vita.

Lunar15

Thinking about the spinoffs today, I think I would have enjoyed them more had they not taken themselves seriously at all. The ideas are dumb, but I think they could have played more dumb along with it in the writing, a little more self-awareness.

Oh well, I'm going to assume that none of them were written by the original writers, and they didn't want to spit on anyone else's work.

As I said numerous times before, I think it's fine to like a villian for their villany and how they're portrayed as a character. There are countless villians in fiction that I really do love and consider my favorite characters. But squealing and hollering like he's a hearthrob? I dunno, kinda strange considering what he is and what he does.

FluxWaveZ

So do imports not come with the P5 Blu Ray?

If so, then damn. ATLUS knows what they're doing.

All first-print copies of P4D will come with the Blu-ray, import or not. Mine's a digital version of the game.

Marie's announcement made me think back to this:
I was just reminded of this... guess I'll post it here. On April 16, the official Kana Hanazawa Twitter account tweeted this, and the official Persona 4 anime Twitter account retweeted it:

Could be just because of the shirt she was wearing. If not, though, I'm just leaving this here so I have something to point to if something happens...
The first thing I had thought when I saw it was Marie's VA contributing to P4D. Might have actually been what it was.

I know being abrasive and obnoxious is kind of your shtick, but do you think you could knock it off with these kinds of posts? There's no reason to put people down like that.

I'm not getting into this bullshit, I've already had a bad enough day. Let me just say this: I am not abrasive or obnoxious, and I wasn't putting people down at all. Chances are, if that same news was posted in the P5 thread, that GIF would be present as well.

Again, I'm not getting into this bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom