• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebetite

Banned
I don't think they'd drop portraits just for the sake of dropping them-- I mean, the art will still exist to get shoved into a menu somewhere (think the S.Link menus in P3 and P4). They'll always go for what looks best.

The only scenario in which I'd see them going away (which isn't to say either way what the likelihood is because of how little we really know about the game) is if the in-game render looks better without portraits cluttering it up. So at that point there's no reason not to be excited. Either it will look just like one of my Japanese animes or it will have portraits styled after my Japanese animes laid atop the image like I'm used to!

Xenoflare

I wonder how choices would look like if p5 goes with the cutscene model, awkward pauses everywhere.

Or unless it's a mix of cutscene and dialogue boxes..... cutscenes for major events, and dialogue boxes for sub events and or/ filler slinks.

Um... how much of Catherine have you played? The animation cutscenes are pretty much evenly peppered into the games, especially the endings.

im not sure if its my second language english making my point not clear

the p5's teaser trailer's animation style (maybe even quality) is NOTsimilar to that of catherine's as here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuyAi8mil9k

catherine's anime cutscenes are SO MUCH better looking, almost to the same style of the in game presentation

p5's trailer is pretty damn generic. its basic anime stuff. its the same as p4g's anime cutscenes.

i think moving towards a full 3d animated thing is wonderful thing. but obviously games like rune factory ps3 (looks terrible), sen no kiseki series (horrible) and persona q (chibi so doesn't count) have not so awesome (pretty bad) 3d animation models.

isn't there this live 2d technology, or something called ghosting done by arc system works tokyo twilight ghost hunters? they look nice

i don't think many people deny the legendary aspect of soejima's 2d art style, moving away from this in a numbered Persona title is worrisome from any perspective.

finally, like posters above said, catherine level presentation is really great… but how likely is it to be fitting for a long 60hr jrpg?

MSMrRound

Thanks for the info earlier.

Can someone tell me when I should start with Hardcore Risette?

Hmm...you can pretty much give it a shot once you get Rise as your navigator. However, I would advise you not to worry about it too much for your initial play through.

If you want to though, try spreading out the usage of your party members (that was how I got my Hardcore Risette Fan trophy).

I think I unlocked it somewhere during the middle of the *dungeon spoiler!*
Heaven dungeon

Remember getting your party members afflicted with statuses will get you some nice number of lines as well.

I also think the dialogue will still have anime like portraits. There are too many conversations in Persona and if its done in real time using gameplay models it might be hard for the player to see emotions of the character's faces.

Studio 4C did Catherines's anime scenes and though we can;t say for sure who is doing P5's it looks likely to be A-1 Pictures since they been handling all Persona anime's including the movies.

Dawg

Hmm...you can pretty much give it a shot once you get Rise as your navigator. However, I would advise you not to worry about it too much for your initial play through.

If you want to though, try spreading out the usage of your party members (that was how I got my Hardcore Risette Fan trophy).

I think I unlocked it somewhere during the middle of the *dungeon spoiler!*
Heaven dungeon

Remember getting your party members afflicted with statuses will get you some nice number of lines as well.

Hehe, all right. Does that mean it's better to keep it for a second playthrough? :p

I really shouldn't focus too much on that trophy, but I'm kind of a completionist. I've seen people unlock the trophy on their first playthrough without even trying though :p

Hehe, all right. Does that mean it's better to keep it for a second playthrough? :p

I really shouldn't focus too much on that trophy, but I'm kind of a completionist. I've seen people unlock the trophy on their first playthrough without even trying though :p

You don't have to keep it for the second playthough, but it's just more likely to come across it then. If you're someone like me who sticks with the same party members for most of the game you have no chance of getting it first time round :p

Dantis

Keeping my expectations low.

As long as the in-game character models can match up to their portrait counterparts/Catherine, that would have kind of satisfy me.

E.g: though Naoto looks fine here, it always give me nightmares to stare into those soulless eyes of hers whenever I have to approach her character model for a social link.

Costumes like that look fine, despite the poor character models, but the Coronet Armor and whatnot are hideous. No idea why anyone would use them.

Dawg

You don't have to keep it for the second playthough, but it's just more likely to come across it then. If you're someone like me who sticks with the same party members for most of the game you have no chance of getting it first time round :p

Aw shit... yea, that sounds like something I would do :p

I also think the dialogue will still have anime like portraits. There are too many conversations in Persona and if its done in real time using gameplay models it might be hard for the player to see emotions of the character's faces.

Studio 4C did Catherines's anime scenes and though we can;t say for sure who is doing P5's it looks likely to be A-1 Pictures since they been handling all Persona anime's including the movies.
Technically that's not true since Persona 4: The Animation and Persona 3 The Movie #1: Spring of Birth were done by AIC ASTA.

Agreed, some kind of animated portraits will be better than pure 3d models. That is unless something even better happens that we can't imagine.

and injecting another question into this discussion is HOW LONG/VOLUMINOUS you guys think p5's voice acting will be?

now we have atlus making history by claiming desu1overclocked has the MOST voice acting in any atlus game (even more than p4g?).

but that history will now be shattered with desu2 break record taking the 1st place of most dubbed lines in atlus game history.

obviously p5 won't have this insane amount, but who thinks it'll have more voice acting than p4g?

My comments were regarding the longterm prospects of the company. I'm saying that if they make the game have all the bells and whistles and it's an outstanding achievement for Atlus, then that's fine; it just makes the overall game that much better if they can achieve that while hypothetically maintaining the meat of the game.

Obviously, there's going to be quite an increase in cost because it's a multiplat game that happens to be on the most powerful home console as well, and Atlus seemingly have high aspirations with this game. They obviously know that interest for this game is very high and it's the culmination of a brand that's continually been getting stronger for a long time now. Atlus also has a creative aspiration to do great things as a developer.

I look at another huge JRPG brand in Final Fantasy. Sakaguchi from the early days pushed for a fidelity that was state of the art, and this has been part of the series' identity even to this day. Final Fantasy XV right now (disregarding everything from pre-2012) likely has an extremely high budget and a lot of it is likely dedicated to the graphical fidelity of the game. A lot of the public interest in the game is likely tied to how impressive the game looks, and rightfully so, as I said it's been part of the series identity almost since near conception. It's also in a situation where it simply cannot fail and needs to recoup development costs and then some.

I'm just wondering if Persona 5 needs to have a big of a leap in budget to deliver great visuals. I think the series has built an identity where people don't really go into Persona expecting something that looks amazing, and that's fine. This is actually very healthy in my opinion. Pokémon has made an extremely successful living off of this. They can sustain success with low cost like they have with their past titles. I just think that having the commitment to making a graphically impressive game is unhealthy and builds bad expectation for future entries.

I'm not arguing against making great looking games. I would obviously prefer a game that looks better and doesn't sacrifice anything in content. It's the risk of high(er) budget games (not just Persona) that I'm worried about.

You should consider that historically Atlus hasn't exactly been consistent when it comes to maintaining production values. Look at the charecter models in Digital Devil Saga compared to the ones in Persona 4 for example. They haven't been afraid to drop the visual quality across a generation.

I certainly don't want to see Atlus in a position where they have to keep making absurdly high budget titles just to keep expectations, but they haven't fallen into that in the past.

You should consider that historically Atlus hasn't exactly been consistent when it comes to maintaining production values. Look at the charecter models in Digital Devil Saga compared to the ones in Persona 4 for example. They haven't been afraid to drop the visual quality across a generation.

I certainly don't want to see Atlus in a position where they have to keep making absurdly high budget titles just to keep expectations, but they haven't fallen into that in the past.

didn't the director of persona state that persona 5 was originally planned for a HANDHELD CONSOLE release? - the psvita (imagine how awesome THAT would be)

and then decided to shift to home consoles. atlus makes the most POLISHED and GREATEST stylistic games especially on portables.

but then again, how awesome will it be to think about the fact that in a parallel world, persona 5 is a psvita exclusive.

dayum

didn't the director of persona state that persona 5 was originally planned for a HANDHELD CONSOLE release? - the psvita (imagine how awesome THAT would be)

and then decided to shift to home consoles. atlus makes the most POLISHED and GREATEST stylistic games especially on portables.

but then again, how awesome will it be to think about the fact that in a parallel world, persona 5 is a psvita exclusive.

dayum

I feel like 3DS would have been more likely considering that there was a 3DS Persona game listed at the start of the console's life: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/06/15/e3-2010-big-list-of-3ds-games

That could have always planned to be Q, but it does line up with when Atlus were planning to start on the next Persona game: http://kotaku.com/5500764/persona-developers-making-newpersona

Meia

I can give you some ideas of the varying types of lines Rise can give to things happening in battle.

*character knocking down 2, 3, 4, 5 enemies at once(each character, each number counts so this is like +30 here)

*character effected by a status(each status, every character different line)

*character killing a shadow, hitting a weakness, missing an enemy, getting knocked down, getting knocked out, each are also +1

These are just the bare bones, there's a lot more as well. This is one you either get naturally, or it's a tedious bore to you you never bother doing. :p

Sophia

dayum

Hashino said no such thing if my memory serves me correctly. He said they considered a mobile device, such as the Vita or smartphones. Very different from actually having planned it to be on such a device.

I feel like 3DS would have been more likely considering that there was a 3DS Persona game listed at the start of the console's life: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/06/15/e3-2010-big-list-of-3ds-games

That could have always planned to be Q, but it does line up with when Atlus were planning to start on the next Persona game: http://kotaku.com/5500764/persona-developers-making-newpersona

Every game that Atlus tentatively announced at the launch of the 3DS has come true in some manner, so yeah, that was probably Persona Q. The SMT game ended up being SMT4. Etrian Odyssey was EQ4. And of course, Devil Survivor Overclocked game out early in the system's life.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Every game that Atlus tentatively announced at the launch of the 3DS has come true in some manner, so yeah, that was probably Persona Q. The SMT game ended up being SMT4. Etrian Odyssey was EQ4. And of course, Devil Survivor Overclocked game out early in the system's life.

Lots of times those lists aren't entirely accurate anyway. (Still waiting for my SMT on PS3 and Vita). I really wouldn't base anything on those lists until the developer themselves actually announces it.

Was kinda funny how many people were CERTAIN that the Persona game listed on that list of 3DS games was going to be 5.

Lots of times those lists aren't entirely accurate anyway. (Still waiting for my SMT on PS3 and Vita). I really wouldn't base anything on those lists until the developer themselves actually announces it.

Was kinda funny how many people were CERTAIN that the Persona game listed on that list of 3DS games was going to be 5.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/atlus-cancels-unidentified-games/1100-6134688/ here's your PS3 SMT.

In 2006 Kaneko was saying that the PS3 and Wii were likely to be the places where we'd see most Megaten games (source) funny how that turned out.

They haven't, but they've never had a brand as big as Persona is now. It's much easier to subvert expectations when you're smaller. The bigger you get the more the brand has control over you instead of the other way around.

Dawg

I can give you some ideas of the varying types of lines Rise can give to things happening in battle.

*character knocking down 2, 3, 4, 5 enemies at once(each character, each number counts so this is like +30 here)

*character effected by a status(each status, every character different line)

*character killing a shadow, hitting a weakness, missing an enemy, getting knocked down, getting knocked out, each are also +1

These are just the bare bones, there's a lot more as well. This is one you either get naturally, or it's a tedious bore to you you never bother doing. :p

y u do this atlus

all the other trophies are pretty "normal"

there is a sadist in their team :p

That would be Q like you said.

dayum

That would not be as awesome as a PS3 Persona 5 for sure.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

Well that happened pretty quickly.

tumblr_mhbzork95S1qjpgs7o1_500.gif

randomkid

Hey dudes, Pepsiman is too modest and humble to shill for himself here but I sure don't have any issue doing it for him!

He's trying out an experiment where he crowdfunds translations of old amazing interviews.

http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/107257220139/eirikrjs-dont-you-hate-finding-an-interesting

For the dozen or so people who like Persona 1 (I know you exist!) the first one is a lengthy interview with Kazuma Kaneko (!!!), Cozy Okada and Satomi Tadoshi chatting it up about all kinds of interesting sounding things, so if you wanna find out why Elly is Tadoshi's favorite and Yuki is Kaneko's get to donating!

I contributed of course but even if you don't care I kinda see it as a nice tip for all that work Pepsiman did last year translation those neverending Persona trailers and videos, which he's still gonna do for free of course. It's kind of a way to show you appreciate his effort is how I see it.

So if you feel the same way, Paypal over something to freelansations@gmail.com if you can.

Only $95 left, let's positive thinking!

http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/107581104609/persona-1-interview-article-fundraising-update-2

hao chi

y u do this atlus

all the other trophies are pretty "normal"

Hardcore Risette Fan isn't that bad. Thorough Bookkeeper is the one that looks like it'd be annoying to do, especially because of how expensive summoning Personas is and the fact that some Personas can only be summoned after maxing an S. Link.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hardcore Risette Fan isn't that bad. Thorough Bookkeeper is the one that looks like it'd be annoying to do, especially because of how expensive summoning Personas is and the fact that some Personas can only be summoned after maxing an S. Link.

I did that on my second run on easy. The money was flowing like water.
And then after it pops, you just reload the save and have all your monies back

Meia

Bookeeper isn't even really all that bad. Money is easy once you can adjust how much you get on a game +, and filling in the compendium is easy when you know the tricks to fill it out on an Arcana basis(persona arcana is done via list, fuse 2 together to get the one under them, 3 together to get the one above).

wmlk

They definitely haven't, but there's more interest for Persona 5 than any Atlus game that I can remember. It's likely going to be a pretty big success for them.

Look what I have in my room!
Ukg75bR.png

Still don't have the game, though. Hopefully I'll get it in the next weeks.
Amazing job bro ... i dont even make a straight line in that nintendo draw shit.
Yeah I can't figure out how people can even draw on the 3DS, bravo.

I can't draw a straight line on it either.
Thanks. I actually drew it in the Wii U gamepad and still had a hard time. lol
Fuuka thinking Nanako was Yu's lover got a big laugh from me.
That stroll was very funny. Also Yosuke's "You need to stop fishing in rainy days, man. It's dangerous." or something along those lines.

PK Gaming

P4AU's Japanese arcade change log in video form.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaten/comments/2rwgfs/p4au_changelog_wvideos_jp/

Someone explain Liz's new Hama/Mudo conditions

Liz Mahamaon now activates instantly BUT it won't kill the opponent unless there's 10 seconds left on the clock. The new change is hella intriguing, because it seems like there are some new combo applications from Mahamaon. Mamudoon still activates after a set period of time, and it now doesn't go away if Elizabeth blocks. Like with Mahamaon, it won't kill the opponent unless there are 10 seconds on the clock.

Xenoflare

Liz Mahamaon now activates instantly BUT it won't kill the opponent unless there's 10 seconds left on the clock. The new change is hella intriguing, because it seems like there are some new combo applications from Mahamaon. Mamudoon still activates after a set period of time, and it now doesn't go away if Elizabeth blocks. Like with Mahamaon, it won't kill the opponent unless there are 10 seconds on the clock.

Huh, it looks like it does a set of damage if it connects too (if instant KO did not work), cool

I have a feeling that she will stay in her own tier, but I won't stop playing as her.

Hope this update can hit the consoles worldwide soon.

Edit: It also looks like the HUD is in a darker shade of blue, or is it just me?

Does anyone have that PS2 MegaTen model comparison image with the Demi-fiend, Serph, Yu, and I think Raidou?

I know the image you mean, but I can't seem to find it, so I made my own.

I realise that this isn't overly fair to some of the games, especially since I used P3P images for 3, but I found it surprisingly hard to find decent pictures of the characters ingame.

Nimby

Banned
I know the image you mean, but I can't seem to find it, so I made my own.

I realise that this isn't overly fair to some of the games, especially since I used P3P images for 3, but I found it surprisingly hard to find decent pictures of the characters ingame.

I love the Nocturne and DDS models. P3MC looks like he belongs on the PS1.

EDIT: And pardon ignorance, but do Nocturne and DDS use different models for cutscene and gameplay? Never paid attention to that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom