• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In P4AU I have a very bad habit of mashing DP or EX supers in almost every situation: wake-up, during blockstrings, if the enemy's close to me, jumping or closing in... Got baited so many times online, getting comboed off counter hits and occasionally IK'd. :p

As an aside, I don't really think I belong in the 'getting used to the game' lobby anymore since I owned the game for about a month, but I got kinda annoyed playing in that lobby before and going up against an S ranked guy or something like that.

Anyways, hope I eventually become competent at the game. And that P5 comes out while I'm at home and not at school since I don't think I'm taking my PS3 to res with me.

Dawg

Seems like you should really like the Visual Novel style of P4G, then.

Thankfully, there aren't many anime scenes.

That's good.

And yes, I like the visual novel style. Especially since it's hard to listen to characters talk being half deaf.

That said, subtitles usually help me a great deal :p

CorvoSol

Wasn't Yosuke's two bikini thing completely justified? I could've swore they had the excuse last year of not bringing their swimsuits with them.

He's only been in Inaba 6 months longer than you, and he didn't know about the garbage picking up stuff, so it can't be that.

What gets me is that Yosuke brought those bikini's to the trip in the event that they would owe him a favor.

His plan hinges on so many circumstances:
-Yukiko and Chie fucking up their meal plan
-Kanji being stupid/insecure enough to run out of the tent
-Yukiko and Chie being paired up with Hanako

(Note: He was directly responsible for #2, and arguable for #1)

I know it's a dumb gag scene, but when you really think about it, it's really fucked up. This is some Death Note level planning (and he got the right sizes, jesus christ)

Yosuke: Deplorable idiot, or brilliant mastermind?

At the very least, he bought the swimsuits while Yu was covering the food shopping. In the which case he's probably an evil genius who set things up so that it would play out the way he did.

The "goofy anime high schooler high-jinks" scenes tend to bring out the worst in P4. Campout, king's game, hot springs, just, ugh.

why do you hate everything

Man I'll give you the hot springs stuff cuz every hot springs thing is the same ol shit every time, but the King's Game was funny. Especially Naoto getting more and more pissed off as it went along.
Naoto is the only tolerable aspect of that scene. Naoto's line "Are you a pack of complete imbeciles" is the only really good thing I took from it. Beyond that, it has the same problems I have with the camping trip and hotsprings, which was that it made me dislike the characters involved instead of endearing me to them.

By and large I think Persona's better at being smart than it is at being "dumb."

EDIT: Fanservice in this context is the worst.

wmlk

That's pretty consistent from my experience then.

I'm not sure why that excuses it.

It doesn't excuse it, but there's something about tonal consistency which is great in almost anything. I disliked the P4 bathing scene, but it was tonally consistent so I saw where it was coming from. I like the King's Game, and that was further heightened by how the tone made sense.

Heck, the entire game is an anime and some of those scenarios made sense given the context and fleshed it out.

I see the same types of complaints about how there should be women for you to kill in Uncharted. No, it shouldn't, that would be tonally inconsistent with its callbacks to Hollywood tropes and heroic story that Uncharted is known for. Some things realize what they are and are better for it.

PK Gaming

Aren't you overthinking this? I just took it as him wanting to see the girls in a swimsuit, knowing that they'd have the opportunity to swim at the school trip. He'd know that they'd make an excuse like "We forgot our swimsuits," so he got those as insurance. The rest just gave them more of a reason to concede.

I know, I know, I was just joking around. Though... could you imagine?

Step 3: Flatter Yukiko into cooking despite knowing full well that her cooking is abysmal (thanks for the tip, partner)

Step 4: In the event that Chie decides to join in, take stomach medicine as an extra precaution

Step 7: Convince the teachers to pair up Hanako with the girls by stress that they're good friends. Bribes may be necessary.

Step 10: Deliver a homemade meal to Hanako's residence the day of the trip. The ingredients used in the meal can induce snoring.

Step 13: Set up our tent so that it faces the girl's tent (necessary for step 17)

Step 17: Manipulate Kanji into running into the girls tent by harping on his insecurities (EASY)

Step 19: Pretend to be annoyed by the girls request

Step 21: Get a good night's sleep

Step 22: The Promised Day

I demand a comic of this

It doesn't excuse it, but there's something about tonal consistency which is great in almost anything. I disliked the P4 bathing scene, but it was tonally consistent so I saw where it was coming from. I like the King's Game, and that was further heightened by how the tone made sense.

Heck, the entire game is an anime and some of those scenarios made sense given the context and fleshed it out.

I see the same types of complaints about how there should be women for you to kill in Uncharted. No, it shouldn't, that would be tonally inconsistent with its callbacks to Hollywood tropes and heroic story that Uncharted is known for. Some things realize what they are and are better for it.
There's tonal consistency and there's genuine quality, and I wouldn't separate them out as you do. It's possible to be tonally consistent and at the same time not terrible, so I don't think it's that crazy to ask of more from Persona 4's attempts at anime humor. I mean, I don't think there's something inherently wrong with anime high school humor, so it's not like something being bad is ingrained in the genre's blood. So my statement on P4's anime humor scenes bringing out its worst was not a condemnation for the game trying its hand at it, but rather that its attempts fell flat. Like I said earlier, there's a method to dumb humor, and I don't think Persona nails that anywhere near as good as it is at being smart.

(Though in regards for hotsprings scenes I would seriously be glad to never ever ever see one of those again.)

CorvoSol

Y'all don't like fanservice?

The problem with hot springs scenes is that they all play out the same exact way. Boys try to peep on the girls. Girls go "OOOH YOUR SKIN IS SO SOFT" and then "NOO DON'T TOUCH ME THERE"

Persona 4 does it twice. I mean, P3 does it, but at least they avoid some of those foibles, and they have the whole "try to not get killed" segment. Persona 4 manages to slip an important sort of clue into one of the two hot springs segments, but I just kind of wish that hot springs scenarios would play out with a modicum of originality.

Sophia

I know it's a dumb gag scene, but when you really think about it, it's really fucked up. This is some Death Note level planning (and he got the right sizes, jesus christ)

Yosuke: Deplorable idiot, or brilliant mastermind?

Deplorable idiot. Even ignoring the fact that he somehow guessed their sizes, you don't pick out a girl's style for them! Especially not for swimsuits. >.>

The problem with hot springs scenes is that they all play out the same exact way. Boys try to peep on the girls. Girls go "OOOH YOUR SKIN IS SO SOFT" and then "NOO DON'T TOUCH ME THERE"

Persona 4 does it twice. I mean, P3 does it, but at least they avoid some of those foibles, and they have the whole "try to not get killed" segment. Persona 4 manages to slip an important sort of clue into one of the two hot springs segments, but I just kind of wish that hot springs scenarios would play out with a modicum of originality.

The P3 hotsprings scene is almost completely devoid of fanservice. It's more comedy than anything. And the male members of SEES actually deserved what they got, where as the IT males did nothing wrong in the vanilla version of the scene. :\

CorvoSol

The P3 hotsprings scene is almost completely devoid of fanservice. It's more comedy than anything. And the male members of SEES actually deserved what they got, where as the IT males did nothing wrong in the vanilla version of the scene. :\

I'll readily admit that P3's hot spring was less awful than P4's, but it still had that basic set up of "boys try to peep on girls." And I mean, sure, that's high school. People in my high school were always dreaming up ways to get into the girl's showers (which I saw one time, and were full of boxes) but the whole thing loses its luster when every trip boils down to the same premise.

PK Gaming

Speaking of weapons, you thought Yosuke carrying bikinis was crazy? Eikichi just hands Maya a loaded gun. Straight up. Persona 2:IS is a goofy game, but that scene always struck me as goddamn hilarious.

Re: Hot spring scenes

Persona 1 manga has the best hot spring segment in the series. The guys end up yelling at the girls for annoying them. Like whoaaaaaaa

CorvoSol

Speaking of weapons, you thought Yosuke carrying bikinis was crazy? Eikichi just hands Maya a loaded gun. Straight up. Persona 2:IS is a goofy game, but that scene always struck me as goddamn hilarious.

Persona 1 manga has the best hot spring segment in the series. The guys end up yelling at the girls for annoying them. Like whoaaaaaaa

Eikichi's guitar fires bullets.

There are stores all over Sumaru City carrying those same guitars.

I think Dantis was on to something

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I'll readily admit that P3's hot spring was less awful than P4's, but it still had that basic set up of "boys try to peep on girls." And I mean, sure, that's high school. People in my high school were always dreaming up ways to get into the girl's showers (which I saw one time, and were full of boxes) but the whole thing loses its luster when every trip boils down to the same premise.

What if it was backwards? Like the girls try to sneak a peek.

Gazoinks

Considering P1 has Mark just... having a battleaxe in his backpack for some reason, I'd say this kind of thing is an integral part of the series at this point.

CorvoSol

What if it was backwards? Like the girls try to sneak a peek.

I mean, maybe, but I dunno. That's better than how it normally is, but it really isn't much you know?

The funny thing is, for me at least, the rest of the trip to the Amagi Inn is actually pretty good. Like, with the Hanako hanging out with Kashiwagi, the whole ghost story aspect. I think Persona 4 handles comedy just fine, but the hot springs, principally the second one with Marie, were kind of lacking.

Dantis

The campout was admittedly terrible, but King's Game was objectively great.

The campout is only bad at the bit with the swimsuits.

The King's Game is bad all the way through, and literally makes no sense, to the extent that even Atlus have acknowledged that it makes no sense (specifically, the characters being drunk but not actually).

I went with Willem Inu.
Haha I see what you did there. lol
Naoto is the only tolerable aspect of that scene. Naoto's line "Are you a pack of complete imbeciles" is the only really good thing I took from it. Beyond that, it has the same problems I have with the camping trip and hotsprings, which was that it made me dislike the characters involved instead of endearing me to them.

By and large I think Persona's better at being smart than it is at being "dumb."

EDIT: Fanservice in this context is the worst.

You are so cold hearted, mamba. :/

Dawg

Haha I see what you did there. lol

:D

Just played the game for about 3-4 hours. Interesting story and atmosphere so far. Barely experienced any gameplay though, but I don't mind!

Will continue tomorrow, it's getting late. Love the music I've heard so far and the city looks really... comfy? :p

CorvoSol

Shifting gears. I'm at floor 4 of the Evil Spirit Club in PQ and I have a wild guess I'd like to take, Pat.

The dungeons reflect Rei's moods. You in Wonderland because she's a lost blonde girl in a weird world or something. When she starts getting all lovey dovey with Zen you go to the Group Date Cafe. At the bottom of that dungeon is a chest that has something that scares her. Her fear creates the Evil Spirit Club. Whatever mood she gets into by the end of this dungeon will lead to the next dungeon's tone.

So like, we're in some manner of Shadow World dungeon, but instead of it being like Maki's idealized Mikage-Cho, it's more like dungeons/clubs that reflect Rei's moods.

I'm probably way the fuck off, but as of where I'm at in the game, it makes a decent amount of sense.

Every time a Japanese media does a hot springs scene, Mara kills a kitten.

Eikichi's guitar fires bullets.

There are stores all over Sumaru City carrying those same guitars.

I think Dantis was on to something

SOMEONE'S SPREADING RUMORS THAT COME TRUE IN INABA: PERSONA 4 DIAMOND ON PS4, PC, AND XBOX ONE THIS SUMMER.

The campout is only bad at the bit with the swimsuits.

The King's Game is bad all the way through, and literally makes no sense, to the extent that even Atlus have acknowledged that it makes no sense (specifically, the characters being drunk but not actually).

I used to think this, but apparenlty there's something in Asia called "raw drunk", a mind over matter thing. They think it's really alcoholic, they subconciously get drunk. P4 is full of these things

Sophia

Shifting gears. I'm at floor 4 of the Evil Spirit Club in PQ and I have a wild guess I'd like to take, Pat.

The dungeons reflect Rei's moods. You in Wonderland because she's a lost blonde girl in a weird world or something. When she starts getting all lovey dovey with Zen you go to the Group Date Cafe. At the bottom of that dungeon is a chest that has something that scares her. Her fear creates the Evil Spirit Club. Whatever mood she gets into by the end of this dungeon will lead to the next dungeon's tone.

So like, we're in some manner of Shadow World dungeon, but instead of it being like Maki's idealized Mikage-Cho, it's more like dungeons/clubs that reflect Rei's moods.

I'm probably way the fuck off, but as of where I'm at in the game, it makes a decent amount of sense.

Minor spoiler:
You're on the right track, actually.

So i'm assuming the P4 story route plus true end is the canon story for Ultimax?

If this is true and they reference that sometime in something like another spinoff game years after p5 or something, that would suck so hard because the P3 route in P4AU is superior to the P4 one in every single way.

Acid08

Banned
Man I'll give you the hot springs stuff cuz every hot springs thing is the same ol shit every time, but the King's Game was funny. Especially Naoto getting more and more pissed off as it went along.

The imbeciles line is her best in the entire game.

Concert at Taiyou Con was loads of fun! Got autographs afterwards and am having dinner now.

Lotus Juice solo concert tomorrow as well as meet and greet with Lotus Juice, Shihoko and Yumi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom