• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoflare

Might not be the main reason P4D got rebooted, but Dingo was also bogged down by development for the Love Live rhythm games, which were heavily panned by critics and fans alike. The delay might have ate into the timeframe that they had in mind for P4D.

That's interesting, it might be an assortment of issues that made Atlus reboot P4D's development

It was delayed for three months, and it was given free DLC as an apology for the third delay. Who knows what happened this time, but maybe it was a case of Atlus not liking the pace they were going at as P4D's primary developer, which is why they assumed direct control, and why Dingo would still be helping as an advisor. Doesn't necessarily explain why their name was completely detached from everything, unless Atlus doesn't think an advisor role is sufficient to have Dingo's name displayed alongside their own like that in marketing.

It kinda makes the first trailer a bit awkward since the Atlus X Dingo was probably the spotlight, AtlusUSA still has it on YT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91r1STWZc9I

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Ha!

Guys i need a day by day guide for P4G to get platinum, anyone?

Gamefaqs has some good ones, I used this one for my max social links run, and it gives you all the books and when to read them too.

Granted this is a NG+ guide, but if you're going for platinum then I'm assuming you're on NG+ since you cant complete it on one playthough anyway.

Ostinatto

Gamefaqs has some good ones, I used this one for my max social links run, and it gives you all the books and when to read them too.

Granted this is a NG+ guide, but if you're going for platinum then I'm assuming you're on NG+ since you cant complete it on one playthough anyway.

So, i should do max s link and books on NG+ only?

I don't wanna miss any quest, and i want to end with max s link and all books , can i do that on a fresh run?

So, i should do max s link and books on NG+ only?

I don't wanna miss any quest, and i want to end with max s link and all books , can i do that on a fresh run?

It's possible but not very likely, some S.links require personality stats to be levelled in order to start up, for your first run through I wouldnt use a guide at all. Just play it normally and for fun.

There are certain trophies that are literally impossible to get on the first run anyway, so there's no point in trying to ace it on your first run through.

Guess Who

Banned
It did? This is the first time I've seen someone mention this...

Yeah me too, I want to know how, now.

Oh? Did Naoto suddenly decide she wanted nothing to do with motorcycle boyfriend robots?

Ultimax uses a lot of the same mythology PxD did. Tsukiyomi was robo-boyfriend's Persona but is now Sho's, and they look/act entirely different. Kagu-tsuchi was the name used for the murderer in the story, too. I mean, I guess we could say there's two different Tsukiyomis and Kagu-tsuchi refers to two different things in the P4 universe.

Dantis

Ultimax uses a lot of the same mythology PxD did. Tsukiyomi was robo-boyfriend's Persona but is now Sho's, and they look/act entirely different. Kagu-tsuchi was the name used for the murderer in the story, too. I mean, I guess we could say there's two different Tsukiyomis and Kagu-tsuchi refers to two different things in the P4 universe.

I don't think this is remotely 'definitive', but it's a better answer than I had expected, and pretty interesting.

OR what if Ultimax is set before PxDN and Sho later gets turned into robo-bike-man person!

Dun-dun-duuuuuuuun!

I feel dirty just typing that out

Guess Who

Banned
I don't think this is remotely 'definitive', but it's a better answer than I had expected, and pretty interesting.

Yeah, I might have been a bit strong in saying it's definitely not canon anymore, but I absolutely got the impression Ultimax was written with no regard for PxD.

Meia

This guide is the one to do a max link playthrough on a first playthrough. It's rather complete, and gives you enough time to do everything as well as read all books, etc.

Of course, the reason why we all say it's best saved for a NG+ is the time requirements are very strict otherwise, and you could easily get/draw spoilers from something like this. It's really not recommended to have a first playthrough of the game using one for this reason.

Ah I see, I've seen this mentioned before along with the stuff below.

Tsukiyomi, as you can see on the p4u2 website is spelled as ツキヨミ while in PxD it's ツクヨミ. And I missed it but it's also spelled as Tsukuyomi in PxD. Those vowel swaps.

If that has any meaning or not, I have no idea.

That's interesting. I suppose there's only so many Japanese deities, and considering the significance of Kagutsuchi in the legend of Izanagi and Izanami, it's one of the more obvious ones to use in Persona 4 spinoffs. It does make me wonder if the Ultimax writers were familiar with PxD though.

Reusing Persona names isn't enough to knock something out of canon, considering both Jun and Junpei have Hermes.

And Tsukuyomi is in Persona 2

Guess Who

Banned
Reusing Persona names isn't enough to knock something out of canon, considering both Jun and Junpei have Hermes.

Yeah, but that's more because modern P-Studio doesn't give a fuck about P2.

And I think it's also a little different in the sense that, while they technically all occur in the same universe, each game's canon is a kinda isolated as well. I think characters from the P2 "world" and the P3 "world" sharing a Persona is different and more expected than two characters both from the P4 "world" doing it.

Meia

Yeah, but that's more because modern P-Studio doesn't give a fuck about P2.

And I think it's also a little different in the sense that, while they technically all occur in the same universe, each game's canon is a kinda isolated as well. I think characters from the P2 "world" and the P3 "world" sharing a Persona is different and more expected than two characters both from the P4 "world" doing it.

What about a character having a persona then the next game having the MC able to wield that same persona?(looking at you Cerberus and Susano-o...)

From the Japanese sales thread:

22. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth # <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.06.05} (¥7.538) - 254.631

Persona Q did extremely well; it's the fourth best-selling Persona game behind Persona, Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden. Also, accounting for digital sales, the game should be around 270.000 units.

King Fost

Neo Member
Also, can't Naoto summon her Persona in the real world in X Detective?

Have the cast of Persona 4 ever tried to summon their Personas in the real world? I mean, aside from that time Rise was pretend drunk?

I don't think they tried very hard, probably because there's no need to. I'd imagine it'd be difficult for them to summon them in the real world but they might be able to under the same circumstances the P3 crew first summoned theirs. But I don't think we'll know for sure unless someone at the development team says something about it.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think they tried very hard, probably because there's no need to. I'd imagine it'd be difficult for them to summon them in the real world but they might be able to under the same circumstances the P3 crew first summoned theirs.

But what about this scene? (P4A Spoilers) It's not made explicit in their original games (P3 and P4), but if we're to discuss P4A as canon, then P4A and P4AU made it pretty much explicit.

If we're to think why, it probably could have to do with how they gained their Personas, but it was probably just a quick narrative concession, if anything. The I.T. are using their Personas in PQ world and P4D world, too.

But what about this scene? (P4A Spoilers) It's not made explicit in their original games (P3 and P4), but if we're to discuss P4A as canon, then P4A and P4AU made it pretty much explicit.

If we're to think why, it probably could have to do with how they gained their Personas, but it was probably just a quick narrative concession, if anything. The I.T. are using their Personas in PQ world and P4D world, too.

The difference could be evokers. the P3 team don't need to use them when in the TV world, so the P4 team might be able to summon Personas in the real world if they did use them.

FluxWaveZ

The difference could be evokers. the P3 team don't need to use them when in the TV world, so the P4 team might be able to summon Personas in the real world if they did use them.

What about the P1 and P2 casts who summon with Tarot cards of their Arcana as well, but can summon theirs in the real world?

What about the P1 and P2 casts who summon with Tarot cards of their Arcana as well, but can summon theirs in the real world?

Not canon

1 and 2 follow completely different rules anyway, since they have demons existing in the real world and a fixed means of awakening Personas.

FluxWaveZ

Not canon

But Katsura Hashino said the following:
Actually, the entire Persona series so far &#8212; not just P3 and P4 &#8212; has taken place in the same world. But for the same reason as above, we chose to make the connections weak.
People joke about P Studio forgetting P1 and P2 or whatever, but that doesn't make it true. There were even P2 references and semi-cameos in Persona 3. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax's Yukari Takeba is another reference to Persona 2

1 and 2 follow completely different rules anyway, since they have demons existing in the real world and a fixed means of awakening Personas.

Yeah, that's what I meant initially. I don't think it has to do with Evokers like you said but, if it were to be explained, how they awoke to their Personas.

PK Gaming

Persona 3 spoilers:

Chidori's Persona could materialize in the hospital without the use of an evoker, so I don't think the ability to summon a Persona in the real world is a result of the evoker. After all, evokers are just tools used to facilitate the summoning process.

There's a brief scene in PQ after the 2 teams meet up where SEES explains how they got their Personas.

Mitsuru: We summon our Personas by pointing an evoker at ourselves and pulling the trigger of our own will.
Yosuke: That's pretty harsh...
Akihiko: By facing our own death, we can draw out our hidden power. The evoker's a way to force that.
Yukiko: Being conscious of death... I've never thought of it that way.

It's only a guess, but I think their approach to summoning their Persona have to do with it.

Got a question for ya PGaf.

How do you feel about the gameplay benefits of the teammate social links in P4/P4G? Specifically, the evolved personas, the bonus battle actions, and the bonus skills (in Golden).

I'm kinda torn on it, because I like most of these gameplay additions for what they are, but don't like how it inherently skews priorities when it comes to the social sim parts. For example, I personally prefer the Hanged Man social link to say, Chie's, but more often than not I'll spend time with Chie because I want to unlock her full combat potential.

Thoughts?

CorvoSol

I dunno. Izanami is a Persona in like, Persona 2, and I'm pretty sure most of the P4 Personas pop up in early games, too. The reused names is definitely interesting in this point, but I dunno that it knocks it outta canon.

I feel like the world building rules of P3 and P4 were designed around nothing but themselves in a vacuum and don't necessarily have any bearing on each other. The continuity links between the later Persona games are tenuous and consist mostly of cameos and winks and nudges. The rules weren't really designed to be consistent with each other, that's just stuff for the realm of spinoffs.

How do you feel about the gameplay benefits of the teammate social links in P4/P4G? Specifically, the evolved personas, the bonus battle actions, and the bonus skills (in Golden).

I'm kinda torn on it, because I like most of these gameplay additions for what they are, but don't like how it inherently skews priorities when it comes to the social sim parts. For example, I personally prefer the Hanged Man social link to say, Chie's, but more often than not I'll spend time with Chie because I want to unlock her full combat potential.

Thoughts?
I am similarly torn on it. I really like the idea of a character physically evolving due to S.Links but yeah, it does unfairly favor the party member S.Links. Maybe there could be a way to give the non-party member S.Links something special. Like, maybe unlocking extra Personas throughout their S.Links, not just at the end? I dunno.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

Thoughts?

That's actually a really solid question. I'm kind of torn with you. I picked the Strength Arcana to level up first on my maiden playthrough (one rife with ignorance, I might add) and felt kinda cheated that I didn't spend more time with the people who would help benefit me in battle.

But the more I thought about it, the more I liked about the decision. Time management is crucial when it comes to the game, and sacrificing spending time with the right friends means they may not do well in battle. But personally, I didn't like Yosuke at all, so I didn't give two craps about him helping me out in combat. Beyond the initial stages of the game, he never entered my party again. Also, I never used much of the Emperor Arcana personas, so I didn't spend any time with Kanji. Knowing after that I missed unlocking some of their combat potential makes me feel like I didn't play the game as well as I could have, but at the same time I didn't feel *bad* about it, because ultimately I chose who I wanted to spend time with. And since there are some other compensations for leveling up non-combatant Arcanas (extra XP when fusing, etc.) I didn't feel completely robbed.

But yeah, obviously that's a core gameplay choice and it the impetus behind making those decisions and feeling rewarded by them differ from player to player.

Like the rest of you, I'm curious to see what's changed and what's the same in P5.

PK Gaming

I feel like the world building rules of P3 and P4 were designed around nothing but themselves in a vacuum and don't necessarily have any bearing on each other. The continuity links between the later Persona games are tenuous and consist mostly of cameos and winks and nudges. The rules weren't really designed to be consistent with each other, that's just stuff for the realm of spinoffs.

Yeah, I don't think the developers put any thought into the different nuances behind the act of summoning a Persona beyond the visual aesthetic. I kind of wish they did though; not because I want a direct link between P3 and P4, but because it's such an intriguing subject. P4 in particular is kind of lacking in that regard (Unlike in P3, your party members rarely talk about their own Personas)

I am similarly torn on it. I really like the idea of a character physically evolving due to S.Links but yeah, it does unfairly favor the party member S.Links. Maybe there could be a way to give the non-party member S.Links something special. Like, maybe unlocking extra Personas throughout their S.Links, not just at the end? I dunno.

To be honest, this wasn't really much of a problem in vanilla Persona 4, since you didn't get that much of a benefit from slinking with your friends until the last rank&#8212;hell, the best party member perk was unlocked from rank 1 (the one where your party members can take a mortal blow for you). Also, there were some neat incentives towards ranking up certain links, such as the Strength & Sun link. The Strength link dramatically boosted Raksha's levels (a Persona that's extremely useful for the Shadow Kanji boss fight) and the Sun link made it possible to obtain Tam Lin's "Enduring Soul" ability at a reasonable level.

But things changed in Golden; your party members get important skills every 2 levels and crucial party member perks as you leveled up their social link (mortal blow protection was a rank 9 skill now). While i'm not opposed to segmenting the party perk skills, locking skills behind slink levels pretty much forced your hand. Seriously, Kanji gets Power Charge as an slink skill. Anyone who intends to use him can't pass that up.

Your suggestion sounds like a good idea going forward.

Meia

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much thought into what P4 did in terms of adding the stuff they did to the social links. A lot of it felt like adding stuff solely for the sake of adding stuff, balance be damned. Like, Yukiko getting Amrita at like rank 6 means, as a gaming perspective, you WANT to be at that level as fast as possible because that's the earliest you can get such a strong spell. In Vanilla, the best thing you got for maxing a link was removing most of the character's innate weaknesses, which was nice but not dire. Shuffling the mortal blow thing to be a near max rank made the most sense, but it's like they wanted to balance the characters more with each other, but didn't want to do with everyone what they did with Naoto(totally new moveset).

To me, a lot of it boiled down to wanting to add stuff to the game, but not taking too much time/effort into doing such for an upgraded port. Marie's inclusion SCREAMS this as well.

First off, I agree with you here. Consistency is only a problem for the spin offs, the main numbered titles don't necessarily have to inform each other.

Unlocking extra Personas seems like a fair trade to me. I was also thinking they could split the approaches of P3P and P4. Leveling up your teammates' social links would improve their Personas, while leveling up the group social links (Fool and Judgment) would unlock follow-up attacks and that kind of stuff.

That's actually a really solid question. I'm kind of torn with you. I picked the Strength Arcana to level up first on my maiden playthrough (one rife with ignorance, I might add) and felt kinda cheated that I didn't spend more time with the people who would help benefit me in battle.

But the more I thought about it, the more I liked about the decision. Time management is crucial when it comes to the game, and sacrificing spending time with the right friends means they may not do well in battle. But personally, I didn't like Yosuke at all, so I didn't give two craps about him helping me out in combat. Beyond the initial stages of the game, he never entered my party again. Also, I never used much of the Emperor Arcana personas, so I didn't spend any time with Kanji. Knowing after that I missed unlocking some of their combat potential makes me feel like I didn't play the game as well as I could have, but at the same time I didn't feel *bad* about it, because ultimately I chose who I wanted to spend time with. And since there are some other compensations for leveling up non-combatant Arcanas (extra XP when fusing, etc.) I didn't feel completely robbed.

But yeah, obviously that's a core gameplay choice and it the impetus behind making those decisions and feeling rewarded by them differ from player to player.

Like the rest of you, I'm curious to see what's changed and what's the same in P5.

Yeah, I certainly never felt cheated after spending time with the other social links, so the balance isn't too far out of whack. If they kept the same system in P5, I'd be totally okay with it. If nothing else, finishing up the non-teammate social links would be great motivation for a second run.

Thoughts?

My biggest complaint with P3 was how you couldn't social link with most of the playable cast. Both games beat you like a drum how important social links are yet outside of a few bonus levels when you fuse persona they have a pretty minimal impact until you max them out and get the ultimate persona of that arcana. Having your party members get more powerful though their social link and giving every party member a social link was a smart decision and one they need to keep going forward. The only thing I'd potentially change is making the non party member social links gain added importance as well kind of like the Hermit slink in P4. It can be something simple like the strength slink gives your main character a health bonus +10 hp per level or +1 str per level for all persona fusion regardless of arcana. This would further incentive the player to balance between party and non party slinks.

CorvoSol

Yeah, come to think of it, Fuuka's using her Persona to connect two separate realities, which is pretty neat. I'm not so much concerned with the why cuz trying to reason stuff out is whatever, but like, mostly just trying to remember if the original Persona 4 ever brings up that they can't do it. Or like, when the notion really stuck, you know?

Cuz until it was said in Arena, I'd never really thought they couldn't. I just assumed they didn't for the same paranoia that they never got any adults involved: can't trust grown ups to get shit done.

So, as there are less than 13 days until the NIGHT OF THE PHANTOM event, I might as well discuss a few things on my mind.

What does everyone think the second button is for? We know the first button is for updates relating to this event, but what is the second button with the "?" for? Any ideas?

Do you think we'll see Persona 5 or anything relating to this event before February 5?

Honestly, I feel at this event, we'll finally see gameplay for P5, a release date and other info. I have a feeling the trailer will be 2-3 minutes long, and will get the ball rolling on info for this game, like with PQ after December 2013 right before its second PV. I feel the "NIGHT OF THE PHANTOM" title refers to Persona 5, and how it will appear at this event. I feel that music from P3 and P4 will play, and then soon after, music from P5 will appear leading into a trailer. Knowing ATLUS, it will probably be something like that, as each time this game has been shown, it has always appeared surprisingly. Also, I do wonder what "others" means in the list of people appearing. This may be a new singer for the game, or just a group of other people for the event. MUSIC FES 2013 also had the term &#12411;&#12363;/&#20182; in the list of people, as seen here: http://puu.sh/eT9eh/9bc54c410a.png

So, what are your thoughts, everyone?

Maybe the button could link to a trailer if/when one goes live at the concert?

That's exactly what I was thinking, but wouldn't they just update the Persona 5 site? I have a feeling that on February 5, we'll actually have the full site for Persona 5, rather than just the teaser site we have now. If not, the MOVIE tab on the site will probably be updated to say "MOVIE UP 02.05" like it was updated on September 1, 2014, after the second trailer for the game.

What is a "NIGHT OF THE PHANTOM event" ? Its like a Persona live concert?

Its full title is "PERSONA SUPER LIVE 2015 ~in &#26085;&#26412;&#27494;&#36947;&#39208; -NIGHT OF THE PHANTOM-" It's a Persona concert, but also an event, according to the official Persona Channel site. It has its own page, as well: http://p-ch.jp/live/

On this page, is a picture of the P3MC, P4MC, and P5MC. It will be on February 5, 2015, and will start at 6:30PM JST (opens at 5:30PM JST)

It will be taking place at the Nippon Budoukan in Japan, which is a very big stadium, where many events are held. More information, including a teaser image, is here: http://p-ch.jp/news/detail/?nid=226

It is also going to be an event for Persona 5, as shown on the Persona Channel site, which has all posts related to this event tagged as "&#12506;&#12523;&#12477;&#12490;&#65301;" (Persona 5) How Persona 5 will be shown and what of it will be shown is still not known, but we do know it is for Persona 5, and that it (most likely) is going to appear in some way or form.

That is all we know right now when it comes to this event.

FluxWaveZ

What does everyone think the second button is for? We know the first button is for updates relating to this event, but what is the second button with the "?" for? Any ideas?

This was my response, which is pretty much what I still think it is:
I personally think it might be one of two things: actually another "Topics Update"&#8212;managing to keep the one for the key art on the site&#8212;being of the stuff I had speculated above; or it's a p-ch style psych out whose significance will only become apparent when the website is fully updated, taking an entirely different from that of a circular icon.

Do you think we'll see Persona 5 or anything relating to this event before February 5?

Nope.

Wait, "anything relating to this event"... definitely. They still have to unveil the official logo for it, and we might have news of a live stream for it next week.

LX_Theo

Banned
They normally have video going on in the background of concerts like these? I could see a new P5 song being played. The video goes through the previous entries in the series (P3 and P4 :p ), then finishes the song with a climatic part that has snippets of gameplay, a new snippet from the animated cutscenes, and a release date.

I will hold onto this hope. This very specific hope. And I will see it crushed, I'm sure.

They normally have video going on in the background of concerts like these? I could see a new P5 song being played. The video goes through the previous entries in the series (P3 and P4 :p ), then finishes the song with a climatic part that has snippets of gameplay, a new snippet from the animated cutscenes, and a release date.

I will hold onto this hope. This very specific hope. And I will see it crushed, I'm sure.

Yes. Nippon Budoukan does have a projector for videos in the background of the performers. In fact, most Persona concerts have had projectors in the background, even the ones not in Nippon Budoukan. So, most likely, we will see Persona 5 in the background if it appears at the event.

FluxWaveZ

Some of the music/projector combinations can be seen in my concert compilation post. They were of standard trailers, for the most part, so a standard trailer could also be played behind P5 music. Or a loop of the trailer(s) we've already seen. Or... something else, heh.

What I thought was that, if it were a standard, new trailer, we would get it before February 5th. I'm inclined to think we won't get any P5 news before that date, though, so I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom