• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Wow, no dungeon for me today! It's getting late and this time my daily Persona adventure only included heavy storytelling and... fanservice :p

Started the day with some Dojima SLing.

B8d9Mo0IgAAA3Xd.jpg:large

Improved my Yukiko SL as well.

Kanji finally got his glasses...

I also made a familiar Persona. I've seen this guy before... somewhere...

I then got my motorcycle license and Dojima gave me his scooter :D

Some more Yukiko SLing.

Decided to give Yosuke's "Up close and Personal" plan a chance...

Eh...

EH....

OHMYGOD

Oh well, at least Kanji got something out of it...

And then it gets even more awkward.

And creepy.

At least I got something out of it, I guess.

Fin.

Took more pictures than usual, damn. Didn't expect to have so many. Oh well, it was quite the experience today!

Hello persona people. I was going to hold off on joining y'all for P5 hype till I was done with the Persona games I already have; but I need to ask a question: is finishing Persona Q worth it?

Cus I've been running in circles for hours today trying to get a door to open. This is one of the most frustrating implementations of a puzzle I've ever seen in a game; it gives you way to much opportunity to screw yourself over and die. Finally made my way to a boss who took more than 40 turns to kill and then he revived himself to half health and wiped me out. So yeah, I'm feeling super annoyed now.

Thing is though I love these characters and this series and I really want to see where this story goes; but that's a whole day of my life spent repeatedly escaping FOEs that I won't get back. So yeah, figured the community would be the people to ask: should I push on? And if so, how? Or should I just give up play something else?

i lowered the difficulty and pushed on. then i got to the 4th dungeon. then i got really pissed off. i lowered difficulty a bit more and then pushed on.

im glad i got to play persona q actually. it removed all doubts as to whether to purchase an EO game.

Meia

So like, what day exactly is this in like EST anyway? 7 days would imply Feb 4th, but like early am of that day, or early am of the 5th, or what?

King Fost

Neo Member
I really dig the third dungeon, I just wish the FOEs were stronger. I could beat them the second I walked into the dungeon which really removes a lot of the tension in the puzzles.

Yeah the FOEs in this dungeon are a joke so far, especially the second type introduced. I managed to beat it on my first try with no casualties and didn't really try that hard. I think I panicked it pretty late into the fight which turned it into a complete slaughter but even before hand I was owning it with almighty/multi-hit physical skills.

arue

So like, what day exactly is this in like EST anyway? 7 days would imply Feb 4th, but like early am of that day, or early am of the 5th, or what?
I made a little list earlier this week for the EST time. Someone should double check on this in case I made a mistake.
  • p-ch.jp/live countdown ends: 3:30am EST
  • Persona Super Live 2015: 4:30am EST - ???
  • 30-hour countdown: Feb 3, 11pm EST - Feb 5, 5am EST

I made a little list earlier this week for the EST time. Someone should double check on this in case I made a mistake.

So, i'm gonna miss the countdown ending, and i'm gonna be very late to the concert stream due to school and work

God dammit

At least i'll be there for the first 4 hours of the 30 hour countdown, and maybe a couple hours the next day

Wow, no dungeon for me today! It's getting late and this time my daily Persona adventure only included heavy storytelling and... fanservice :p

Started the day with some Dojima SLing.

B8d9Mo0IgAAA3Xd.jpg:large

Improved my Yukiko SL as well.

B8d-gpGIIAEEs51.jpg:large

Kanji finally got his glasses...

B8eX74DIEAAJ-zd.jpg:large

I also made a familiar Persona. I've seen this guy before... somewhere...

B8eo5QZIcAEAXOz.jpg:large

I then got my motorcycle license and Dojima gave me his scooter :D

B8eo-3MIAAAOWRC.jpg:large

Some more Yukiko SLing.

B8epCT_IAAEXfk_.jpg:large

Decided to give Yosuke's "Up close and Personal" plan a chance...

B8epFN6IcAASQOl.jpg:large

Eh...

B8eroLHIgAA-0fO.jpg:large

EH....

B8erfQYIUAAHJxq.jpg:large

OHMYGOD

B8esHcmIYAAqjQk.jpg:large

Oh well, at least Kanji got something out of it...

B8esoCiIMAAhv8j.jpg:large

And then it gets even more awkward.

B8exsVyIQAA88qT.jpg:large

And creepy.

B8exyNGIgAERUOy.jpg:large

At least I got something out of it, I guess.

B8ex2ptIQAE92jR.jpg:large

Fin.

B8ex5T6IIAAJqCF.jpg:large

Took more pictures than usual, damn. Didn't expect to have so many. Oh well, it was quite the experience today!

Awesome. I ended up taking WAY too many screenshots while playing. What do you think of the music so far?

Nimby

Banned

So we're expecting that announcement after the 30-hour stream countdown thingy?

PK Gaming

Who wants to talk about their honest to god first impressions of the characters? Like prior to actually playing; just based on trailers or their design alone.

Yosuke: Oh man, this guy's super cool. He seems like a goofball, but I bet he's gonna have some great scenes to him.

Chie: Oh man, this girl's super cute, and she's an athletic kung-fu nut! ♥

Yukiko: Yamato Nadeshiko-alert. Ehhhh

Kanji: Fuck this guy

Rise: EWWWWWWWWWW

Naoto: Fuck that guy

I regret everything. Past me was a bad person

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If I were to try to make it more specific, with the following assumptions:

*News Flash! Persona Channel 2015 duration: ~32 hours (> 30 hours)
*Persona Super Live 2015: ~3 hours (duration of Persona Music FES 2013)
  1. News Flash! Persona Channel 2015 starts @ 11:00 PM EST on February 3rd
  2. p-ch.jp/live countdown ends @ 3:30 AM EST on February 5th
  3. Persona Super Live 2015 starts @ 4:30 AM EST on February 5th
  4. News Flash! Persona Channel 2015 ends @ 7 AM EST on February 5th
  5. Persona Super Live 2015 ends @ 7:30 AM EST on February 5th

Who wants to talk about their honest to god first impressions of the characters? Like prior to actually playing; just based on trailers or their design alone.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but since I played Persona 4 so long after release, my first impressions of the playable characters was already affected by what I had read about them on forums and stuff. So I'll just list my first impressions of a few of the side characters, based mostly on their portrait art before I started playing.

Dojima: BAD. ASS.

Saki: That's a significant forehead.

Eri: Well, she's ahead of the other girl.

Naoki: He looks like a wine snob.

Kou: Dude looks like a lady.

I'm really looking forward to P5 because it'll be the first numbered title that I'll play at launch, so I'll go in mostly blind.

I jumped into this game both at random due to Chet buying it and not me (so no premeditation involved really) and entirely blind so I don't really recall real first impressions--I basically had the front of the box and the opening to go off. The only character I recall having any real impression of was Kanji, and I was kind of disappointed at the idea of the group being "invaded" by a stereotypical-ish looking punk, and boy was I wrong on that.

Though I had like one actual bit of character knowledge going in--
that one of the male main characters was actually a girl, and it's not too difficult to determine which from a cast line up
, and I knew that from sheer pop-cultural osmosis. I do wish I hadn't known that and went into the game truly, completely blind, and I wonder if the game would have managed to fool me. Oh well.

Actually, I do remember something that was kind of a first impression--I remember wondering what kind of battle character the pigtails girl would be.
Teddie's Shadow was the absolute out of left field thing that I completely, utterly, did not see coming.

Zebetite

Banned

I was late to the party and didn't do any significant amount of research on the characters, so my first impressions came in as I was playing.

Yosuke: "Man, what a dork." (Still true!)
Chie: "Hey, she seems cool!" (Still true!)
Yukiko: "She seems kind of boring." (Still true!)
Kanji: "Oh great, a generic tough guy." (The most wrong I've ever been in my life.)
Rise: "Eh, I don't know about this girl..." (I ended up warming up to her.)
Teddie: "Holy shit this bear is annoying!" (Still true!)
Naoto: "Wow this is so obviously not a dude! And also, she's a buzzkill!" (First part: true. Second part: Only true when 'Reasoning' is playing.)

I did okay! But, oddly enough, I went in knowing who the culprit was (thanks, internet!). When I finally met them, I was kind of taken aback and thought maybe the internet had been trolling me all this time. How could they possibly be the killer?

PK Gaming

Oh damn, I forgot about Teddie:

"Gaaaaaaaaaarbage character. I abhor mascot characters and I bet he's a casanova wannabee too."

The scene where he reveals his human body was a huge shock to me. I had no idea that would happen.

Not exactly by your rules, since i had seen some P4A/ U story from a friends stream before i actually got into Persona, and P4A and P4AU was the first time i had seen any of the Persona 3/4 characters

Yosuke: Hmm, looks like a bit of a dork...

Chie: She looks VERY hyperactive...OH GOD that voice is high-pitched.

Yukiko: She looks VERY formal, possibly a perfectionist

Kanji: Looks like a tough guy....wait, is that a folding chair? And why does he blush so much when ANYTHING sexual related comes up?

Rise: Just looks like an Idol to me

Naoto: Wow, that guy looks extremely sophisticated...or is it a girl? I can't tell...

Teddie: Is that...a bear? Hitting on EVERY girl?

FluxWaveZ

Minor update regarding the "Storie" trademark: I don't know when this changed, but the applicant for it on the trademark file—previously Atlus Co., Ltd.—has changed to Index Corporation. This would explain why Index is the owner of the "storie.jp" domain instead of Atlus.

It most likely still involves Atlus, though, as Persona Stalker Club is an Index Corporation registered trademark as well (not to mention games like Catherine or Radiant Historia that are still registered under Index). Perhaps Index is still the one that would handle that kind of legal stuff in Atlus' stead.

Edit: Huh... again, I'm not sure when this happened—it had to be somewhat recently (within the past two weeks)—but, from what I can tell, any/every trademark that was previously registered under Atlus is now registered under Index. Even stuff that goes way back like the Odin Sphere or the Persona: Trinity Soul trademark. I know this wasn't the case before.

Well, I've officially beaten Persona Q.

Dang, after a rocky and frustrating start, that was a good ride. True, the game becomes absolutely braindead once you settle into a strategy (Linkmaster Junpei could basically solo FOEs by the end of the game), but the cool dungeon designs and great character moments kept me coming back until the very end. I'll probably even pick up Etrian Odyseey IV some time in the near future, because I've developed a seriously unexpected dungeon crawler itch.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a date with a bonus boss who just happens to have the most rad theme in the game.

So, finally read the first chapter of the PQ Manga. I don't know how far it deviates from the P4 start in-game since i started on the P3 side, but i enjoyed it. Looking forward to when they meet the P3 cast

I was introduced to the P4 cast through arena.

Protagonist: Sister-complex? That's a label you would never see in western media.
He seems pretty typical otherwise so I guess that's his one quirk. Quiet, composed personality. Open uniform for that bit of edge. White haired Seto Kaiba looks better with the colors reversed. (Color 2)

Teddie: lol what
Spoilers
Kanji: He fights with a chair. He wears his uniform like a cape, has an attack based on him yelling and the trailer has him focusing on romance. He's a grappler but he can summon lighting bolts from the sky. hahaha, amazing. He's like something out of FLCL

Rise: "Turn the navigator off."

Chie: cute.

Yukiko: favorite design. her playstyle is interesting too.

Yosuke: what is with this guy's fighting stance? He's holding kunai like they're juggling pins

Naoto: Spoilers
So she's a girl posing as the opposite sex? Makes sense why they cast Romi Park as her VA. ...
[Naoto] seems different than the rest, in terms of characterization. [Naoto] is from Persona 4, right?

Makio

2010 :
My first impression of p4 was the intro , i looked that video after see a list of games i have to play in ps2 before to die... or something was my first time reading something about SMT or Persona.

*Stars intro*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h73LvR8V2LA

Nerdy guy ok (Narukami).
Margaret and Igor are ghosts... wow creepy.
The headphones (Yosuke) guy is so cool
The green guy (Chie) can kick ass.
The dancing girl (Rise) looks fun.
A fucking bear... why
Oh i get this game is about some reality show the guys are actors or something , the bear is a host , they are cameras everywhere , the studio is hunted or something (TV World scene)
Is funny my imaginary plot of Persona 4 sounds like some Danganropa style of game hahaha
The badass kicking all the asses (Kanji)
Ohhhh the green guy is a girl ....great smile.
She (Yukiko) is beautiful
Slut pop star ....boring (Rise is the best girl XD)
Frickin bear is the main character maybe.
The guy uses that card and transforms in that samurai ... that so cool.

(The song is catchy).

And thats it after that a buy the game play a few hours :
Was my worst experencie ever the game was hard , sloooow to begin , no makes sense to me , is nothing like the intro tolds me.

In 2012 i win P3P and that makes me a fan after that i played all the games (P3.P4.Golden , Arena ....)

Good times XD.

VegiHam

i lowered the difficulty and pushed on. then i got to the 4th dungeon. then i got really pissed off. i lowered difficulty a bit more and then pushed on.

im glad i got to play persona q actually. it removed all doubts as to whether to purchase an EO game.
But I'm already on easy. Will dropping to safety really make a difference?

And yeah. Screw Etrian Oddesy. Just not for me.

Makio

So Persona Q is harder than the ps2 versions of Persona ... makes me wonder to buy it or not.

I dont like to be so frustrated by a game , that why i loved Golden i can play the easy way ever if i like(change settings and shit).

But I'm already on easy. Will dropping to safety really make a difference?

And yeah. Screw Etrian Oddesy. Just not for me.

I think it helps. I am on safety right now and I can take on FOEs in the 4th dungeon if I can agility bind them.

But yea, unfortunately this EO mechanics is not for me and I've already quit PQ because I know there is much harder content down the road where I'm at in the game. I was spoiled by P4G. Looking forward to P4Dancing like crazy.

VegiHam

I think it helps. I am on safety right now and I can take on FOEs in the 4th dungeon if I can agility bind them.

But yea, unfortunately this EO mechanics is not for me and I've already quit PQ because I know there is much harder content down the road where I'm at in the game. I was spoiled by P4G. Looking forward to P4Dancing like crazy.
I'll give it a go later; but I reserve the right to just give up if it takes another 7 hours to kill this boss.

High five team not cut out for EO! Seriously, the thought of this gameplay but without compelling characters and story is making me shudder...

I'll give it a go later; but I reserve the right to just give up if it takes another 7 hours to kill this boss.

High five team not cut out for EO! Seriously, the thought of this gameplay but without compelling characters and story is making me shudder...

Yea I feel the same way as you. Glad I'm not the only one here lol. The story is really barebones in PQ. The character interactions are plenty but rarely do they actually stand out in anyway. Like I try to remember them all but I can't save for a few. Not a fan of certain events in PQ with chibi characters…………… you know

Looks like theres some DLC for break record but the relatively won't angry folks type kind. Macca & EXP DLC maps just like SMT IV. really nice. I loved grinding DLC EXP & Macca to make the game encounters relatively easier and make myself feel more like a Hero. Bet no one feels this way here… or ppl won't admit ;p

Yea I feel the same way as you. Glad I'm not the only one here lol. The story is really barebones in PQ. The character interactions are plenty but rarely do they actually stand out in anyway. Like I try to remember them all but I can't save for a few. Not a fan of certain events in PQ with chibi characters…………… you know

It's certainly not for everyone, and carrying over the mechanics and style from EO. It's put me off it since the day it was released.

Like you said though, P4D, that's where it's going to be at.

VegiHam

I'm actually, surprisingly, really enjoying the character interactions and stuff. And, shockingly, I like Zen and Rei and want to see where this is going.

But I hear P4D is where it's at, so maybe I'll just play that...

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
As of where I am at the miute in PQ I'm putting Rei in the bottom tier of characters, along with Teddie and Marie.

Playing P4AU and PQ is making me hate Teddie so much.

Meia

So basically, this thing goes down early Feb 5th, exactly what I needed to know. Can't ask for a certain day off unless I know which day, and working overnight(11pm-730am) makes things tricky. :p

I actually never saw any trailers or anything, kind of went into P4 totally blind. I got Persona 3 when it first came out before FES, got to the beach trip, then totally stopped because I heard of the improvements FES had. Got FES, kind of got to the same point, and stopped because I had literally just played the game back to back twice. Started up again after P4 came out, went through it and loved it, then bought P4(came with an art book I think, so time period may be off). I do know my first experience with the characters was literally that long intro in the game before any fights and stuff happen.

Dawg

Awesome. I ended up taking WAY too many screenshots while playing. What do you think of the music so far?

Excellent music so far! I can really appreciate good music in games so it's a big pro for me.

Also, I've quoted my pictures, guys. Sorry for making you all scroll so much! ;_;

Soulflarz

Banned
So Persona Q is harder than the ps2 versions of Persona ... makes me wonder to buy it or not.

I dont like to be so frustrated by a game , that why i loved Golden i can play the easy way ever if i like(change settings and shit).

You can change the difficulty on the fly (unless you play on risky, which I'm going to assume you didnt because you dont want that difficulty) and it's not very hard to break. It's a harder game, yes, but you can break so many things. Insta kills just end it. I used insta kills on all normal enemies from the 3rd dungeon on.

DNAbro

You can change the difficulty on the fly (unless you play on risky, which I'm going to assume you didnt because you dont want that difficulty) and it's not very hard to break. It's a harder game, yes, but you can break so many things. Insta kills just end it. I used insta kills on all normal enemies from the 3rd dungeon on.

The game is super weird where it kind of begs to broken. Naoto with impure reach just destroys everything. Though my personal problem with that if you are going to break the game, why not just put it on a lower difficulty anyways?

I gone through the 3rd labyrinth constantly switching up my team, never sticking with one group and I feel like the game punishes you by doing that. i am pretty sure I am a bit underleveled for labyrinth 4 so I'm thinking of just lowering the difficulty in order to play how I like rather than just constantly using Naoto to destroy people.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
First time trying P4AU online, attempting to get a player match and all that's happening is that Japanese players are kicking me constantly.

If anybody wants to hopelessly mash buttons (but not use Auto-combos) feel free to add me on PSN: Martini86

Dawg

Will I never meet the strange MILF again? I still don't know why her friend/husband picked up the phone. Unless it was a ruse :c

FluxWaveZ

First time trying P4AU online, attempting to get a player match and all that's happening is that Japanese players are kicking me constantly.

It's too early in the day for many NA player rooms, but you'll most likely find people in the arcade lobbies dedicated to NA players, since that's where most people go to play online in P4AU.

The game is super weird where it kind of begs to broken. Naoto with impure reach just destroys everything. Though my personal problem with that if you are going to break the game, why not just put it on a lower difficulty anyways?

I gone through the 3rd labyrinth constantly switching up my team, never sticking with one group and I feel like the game punishes you by doing that. i am pretty sure I am a bit underleveled for labyrinth 4 so I'm thinking of just lowering the difficulty in order to play how I like rather than just constantly using Naoto to destroy people.

Because then the game IS broken, not something you get the joy of breaking yourself. To craft monsters and unleash them on nasty, nasty enemies to kill them before they kill you (the last stratum is legit dangerous; had a non-FOE Game Over there).

To tell you the truth, alot of Megaten games are like that, putting godlikeness behind skill and effort walls. It's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom