• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was Theo, I guess he'd use personas that are used in the battle against him, like Margaret? So some combination of the angels / devils he uses.

The Answer says no while Ultimax doesn't adress it.

Ah, ok. So, if Atlus allows non-canon characters on the roster, i could see
Shinji, Makoto, Chidori, and Unit #024
making it in.

Oh yeah, what about STREGA?

And if it has to be canon, i can see Kikuno and Theo, but that's it.

Full disclosure here, considering how Ken ended up
posthumously idolizing Shinji
, I'd assumed that Ken would take on some of his traits for Ultimax (namely fighting up close with heavy weapons, since he didn't need the reach by that time).

Meia

I'd say Theo would be the most logical one. We still have Fuuka too, if her Persona suddenly transforms like Rise's did.

But if we're ignoring canon, P3MC and FeMC pls.

Both P3MC and FeMC to coincide with the news of a definitive version of Persona 3. :p

FluxWaveZ

I guess something else of note on the topic is that, during News Flash!, the "Persona 4 Arena Ultimax character video gallery" segment has the longest time interval (3 hours) until the next event (P4G re-release celebration). The only other segment that matches that duration (and I'm not counting the 13 hour break) is the one starting with "Teddie’s final countdown begins" (until the final event).

arue

Both P3MC and FeMC to coincide with the news of a definitive version of Persona 3. :p
Which would be perfectly fine for me... except if it's for Vita I'm screwed.
I guess something else of note on the topic is that, during News Flash!, the "Persona 4 Arena Ultimax character video gallery" segment has the longest time interval (3 hours) until the next event (P4G re-release celebration). The only other segment that matches that duration (and I'm not counting the 13 hour break) is the one starting with "Teddie’s final countdown begins" (until the final event).
Any idea what they will be showing in there? I thought it would be a montage of P4AU characters moves and a summary of all the Episodes, but I think that would be too short for a 3-hour show.

FluxWaveZ

Any idea what they will be showing in there? I thought it would be a montage of P4AU characters moves and a summary of all the Episodes, but I think that would be too short for a 3-hour show.

Well, I originally thought it was going to be the same as the one hour PQ segment of the same name preceding it, which I took to mean all of those individual character videos from last year played in sequence. Three hours (or one hour) for the segment doesn't necessarily mean that the whole time slot will be filled out but, now with the slight possibility of bigger P4AU news, that might be what they show during that segment in addition to the P4AU character videos.

arue

Playstation TV. No excuse.
I don't have a Vita though... :x I only have a PS3.
Well, I originally thought it was going to be the same as the one hour PQ segment of the same name preceding it, which I took to mean all of those individual character videos from last year played in sequence. Three hours (or one hour) for the segment doesn't necessarily mean that the whole time slot will be filled out but, now with the slight possibility of bigger P4AU news, that might be what they show during that segment in addition to the P4AU character videos.
That's interesting. I doubt we'll get any news during the News Flash! countdown, but we'll see.

God, if this happens, i will lose all of my shit

Which would be perfectly fine for me... except if it's for Vita I'm screwed.

I would assume that it would be Vita AND PS3/4, but at the same time, Golden only came out on Vita.

I wish i could speculate too, but this will be the first announcement/ stream since i joined GAF and when i got into Persona, so i don't know how their concert or announcement streams usually go. So i'm just waiting to see what happens

Meia

PS TV is like a cheap, home console version of the Vita with the exact same library (other than ones that have control schemes dependent on the touch screen)

Yep. At this point, the PS TV runs around $79 by itself at both Best Buy and Gamestop, probably other places at this point. I doesn't run EVERY game, but most.

arue

That's the beauty of it! A Playstation TV can play Vita games, just on a TV. Not all games are compatible on it though (P4G is).

PS TV is like a cheap, home console version of the Vita with the exact same library (other than ones that have control schemes dependent on the touch screen)

Sorry for going off topic here, so what you guys are saying is that I can play a Vita game with a PS3? I have no idea how PS TV works because I thought it's only for Vita owners.

DNAbro

Sorry for going off topic here, so what you guys are saying is that I can play a Vita game with a PS3? I have no idea how PS TV works because I thought it's only for Vita owners.

Uhh no. Ps TV is its own plays Vita games. You don't need to own a Vita.

Sophia

The PS TV is a cheaper, stand-alone, console-lized version of the Vita. It can play any Vita titles (including PSN and PSP games) that do not require the use of the touch screen. Which means it works for Persona 4 Golden.

The biggest problem with the PSTV is that you're inevitably going to run into something you want to play on it that doesn't work for whatever reason. Which sucks. And Sony doesn't seem intent on allowing anything it doesn't deem working to run anytime soon.

arue

Thanks for the answers everyone. It sounds very neat. I think I'll get one down in the future. I've been wanting to play P4G and SDR2 since the longest time.

Thanks for the answers everyone. It sounds very neat. I think I'll get one down in the future. I've been wanting to play P4G and SDR2 since the longest time.

Can't say anything about the PSTV, but i was lucky and already had a PS Vita when i got into Persona, although i feel like i would have bought one just for P3P and Golden. It is worth it.

Dawg

Not that I'm doing it this playthrough, but do you need to see actual text from Risette for the trophy or only audio?

Xenoflare

If Ultimax 2.0 adds two new characters I don't mind paying for it. I just hope that it's a paid DLC update at around $15. If it actually happens on the console.

I have a feeling that it's going to be a brand new game for PS4/XB1, being the pessimist that I am.

Dawg

So, what is everyones favourite P4 team?

Kanji + Yosuke + Yukiko is currently what I'm playing with. I like this setup a lot. Yukiko is a great healer/support with lots of mana while Yosuke is a good hybrid. Kanji is great with physical attacks. Also great for 'dat golden hand dosh/xp because 3 out of 4 characters have a special melee attacks.

Always feels good when I manage to crit every golden hand in a fight when there's three of them. When that happens, I know my all out attack will destroy them and I'll get insane xp/money. Earned lots of dosh and level ups this way yesterday.

wmlk

Kanji + Yosuke + Yukiko is currently what I'm playing with. I like this setup a lot. Yukiko is a great healer/support with lots of mana while Yosuke is a good hybrid. Kanji is great with physical attacks. Also great for 'dat golden hand dosh/xp because 3 out of 4 characters have a special melee attacks.

Always feels good when I manage to crit every golden hand in a fight when there's three of them. When that happens, I know my all out attack will destroy them and I'll get insane xp/money. Earned lots of dosh and level ups this way yesterday.

I went with the first four: Chie + Yosuke + Yukiko.

I used Yosuke a lot for buffs, and Chie a bit of that as well as melee. Yukiko was the designated healer. MC led the offensive.

I don't like grinding to keep others caught up. Hopefully P5 fixes that.

Yosuke/Yukiko/Teddie was the team I used for my first run of vanilla P4 as well as the one I used to beat the bonus boss of P4G on Very Hard, but my favourite is probably Yukiko/Kanji/Naoto once you factor in the buffs that the latter two received in Golden. Raw damage for days, yo.

Youske/Chie/Yukiko

because everyone else joined at a lower level and I normally like sticking with one party anyway.

I don't really have a favourite team for 3, besides Aigis, who I normally keep in the party.

Despite the fact that I ALWAYS level everyone equally, my boss fight team was always Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko.

Yosuke is such a good all rounder, good physical damage and good magic.

Chie is a physical BEAST!

Yukiko is pure healing, but Agi skills if damage is needed.

Thats not saying the others are any worse though, Naoto is an awesome mob killer, Teddie has some good magics, and Kanji..... is alright.

It's the final skill that each of them learn that really define a character's usefulness though.

LX_Theo

Banned
Yosuke, Yukiko, and Teddie/Naoto. Last one varied on the playthrough.

They provided a good elemental coverage and a good opportunity for healing.

Xenoflare

Yukiko/Yosuke + Kanji + Naoto.

I'll pick Yukiko over Yosuke if I managed to get her mind charge bike skill, if not I'll pick Yosuke for the utility. I usually skip on Masukukaja during fusion and he has it.

Dawg

And what about the characters in general? Keeping in mind I'm only halfway through the game (I think), there's a few things I've noticed.

Marie: She feels off compared to the rest. Like... she feels shoehorned in sometimes? I sound like a hater, but it's not that bad. I'm just really indifferent towards her. Eventually I found out she was added in Golden. And then it made sense. Kinda.

Yosuke: My partner in crime. First dude that joined my party and he never left. I like him, even if he's an even bigger perv than my MC.

Kanji: I really like Kanji. I think it's kinda sad everyone treats him like a dumbass all the time, especially Yosuke. He's not the smartest fella around, but I think he's a nice dude with his heart in the right place.

Yukiko: Perfect waifu at first, if only a little bit too perfect. Her laughing is cute, but it's also annoying :c

Rise: New waifu. The one that beat Yukiko. She's just so cute and nice :c

Chie: Great as a friend, but I'll never be able to see her as my girlfriend. She's too needy and her personality doesn't align with mine.

Teddie: Beary cute.

Nanako: *_* BIG BRO!

Dojima: Great to have serious talks with and his backstory is great, but he gets pissed off quick. I understand why though. Hope to learn more about his past soon.

Margaret: Can't resist her.

Probably forgot a few.

wmlk

And what about the characters in general? Keeping in mind I'm only halfway through the game (I think), there's a few things I've noticed.

Marie: She feels off compared to the rest. Like... she feels shoehorned in sometimes? I sound like a hater, but it's not that bad. I'm just really indifferent towards her. Eventually I found out she was added in Golden. And then it made sense. Kinda.

Yosuke: My partner in crime. First dude that joined my party and he never left. I like him, even if he's an even bigger perv than my MC.

Kanji: I really like Kanji. I think it's kinda sad everyone treats him like a dumbass all the time, especially Yosuke. He's not the smartest fella around, but I think he's a nice dude with his heart in the right place.

Yukiko: Perfect waifu at first, if only a little bit too perfect. Her laughing is cute, but it's also annoying :c

Rise: New waifu. The one that beat Yukiko. She's just so cute and nice :c

Chie: Great as a friend, but I'll never be able to see her as my girlfriend. She's too needy and her personality doesn't align with mine.

Teddie: Beary cute.

Nanako: *_* BIG BRO!

Dojima: Great to have serious talks with and his backstory is great, but he gets pissed off quick. I understand why though. Hope to learn more about his past soon.

Margaret: Can't resist her.

Probably forgot a few.

Dojima's SL is my favourite. Yeah, go through that one.

And what about the characters in general? Keeping in mind I'm only halfway through the game (I think)

I could go on for days about the P4 crew, but I'll keep it short and sweet.

Yosuke - Great representation of what a best friend should be like.

Chie - Best girl. Love everything about Chie and how she is.

Yukiko - A bit dull, but I love the snark.

Kanji - Awesome dude man. Love Kanji, best IT character in my opinion.

Rise - Adorably clingy, her interactions outside of solely Narukami make her a better character.

Teddie - Comic relief mascot character that I DONT hate, well done.

Naoto -
You'll find out why she's cool, even if she is a bit plot dumpy

Dojima and Nanako - Greatest characters in this entire damn game!

Marie - I thought she was fine, and I still do.

Margaret - I love her.

Cheska

This was pretty much my set up for most of the game as well. I would occasionally swap out Yukiko for Naoto, but that was a rarity.

Yosuke - Makes a fine BroTP with Yu. Shame the poor guy gets to be fate's chew toy so many times.

Chie - Not waifu material
for anyone who isn't Yosuke.
A great party member and fun to have around, but some moments take her down a few pegs.

Yukiko - Girl of choice. Appears to be a doormat at times, but has a lot of subtle (and not so subtle) venomous moments.
Specifically, two moments towards Teddie.
To me strikes the perfect balance of adoration, intelligence, combat ability, and goofiness.

Kanji - Entertaining as hell, but it's a shame he's been reduced to the butt of so many dumb jokes.

Rise - Annoyingly clingy, despite being a good person at heart. I'd probably hate her if Laura Bailey wasn't such a great VA.

Teddie - A great arc and a pretty decent character underneath a tired sex maniac archetype.

Naoto
- Overrated, but still a good character.
Even if she's a bit of an exposition fairy.

Culprit spoiler:
Adachi: Entertaining despite being a murdering rapist asshole. Probably worked because he spend most of the game appearing as a normal guy. Was understandable without having to be sympathetic.

Marie: Amnesia storyline is overused, but she was endearing enough to me. Special props to Eden Riegel's performance. Also, nowhere near as forced as people say.

Margaret: *sigh* Well, at least she's not insane, like Elizabeth.

(Constant Friend)Ai:
The best S-link in the game. So proud of what a good person they become.

Zebetite

Banned
And what about the characters in general?

[Party]
- Yosuke sucks because he's a big dumb meanie to Kanji and nobody likes him.
- Chie's cool. See below.
- Yukiko's kinda boring. I feel like Chie and Yukiko are weirdly symbiotic, and Yukiko gets the short end of the stick by needing to be analogous to Chie. She has more of a character arc than Chie, though.
- Kanji is the best character out of Persona 3 and 4. No exceptions.
- Rise's cool and fits quite well given the themes of the game. She can be a bit annoying when she's intentionally hamming it up with her idol persona.
- Teddie sucks all the way. He's at his least-insufferable in the late stages of the game, though.
- [spoilers last party member] is cool. I won't get too deep into why.

[Family and May-As-Well-Be-Family]
- Dojima is rad as all hell. I like his social link a lot.
- Nanako is precious. Her social link is a bit less-great that Dojima's, but still great and she has a lot of great moments outside of it.
- Adachi is a loveable dork. I haven't played Golden, so I can't comment on his social link.

[Velvet Room]
- Igor's as good as he ever was.
- Margaret is inferior to Elizabeth in every way, shape, and form.
- I haven't played Golden but The Internet tells me that Marie is lame.

[School]
- Mr. Morooka is a hilarious (if unintentionally) dirtbag.
- Ms. Kashiwagi is a less-hilarious dirtbag.
- Funky Student brings the funk, not the flunk.
- Kou and Daisuke are kind of just... there?
- Yumi seems promising, but her social link gets pretty trying. I remember liking the way they did her Lovers choice. It was suitably dramatic.
- I only played the game once so I can't really comment on Ayane.
- Naoki seemed lame so I didn't get him past, like, Rank 2.
- Ai sucks all the way. Her social link is cool from a mechanical standpoint, though. I like how it's not super straightforward.

[Other Townspeople]
- Eri's social link is okay. It wasn't a top priority for me, but I didn't outright drop it like Naoki.
- Sayako's social link is... entertaining. I like the mechanics of it as well. It ends up going to a pretty weird place.
- I'm not entirely convinced it's possible to max Shu's social link without a guide on a first playthrough, due to the high barrier of entry. It also seemed boring from what little of it I did.
- Hisano was a nice change of pace. I like that they kept the Death Arcana nice and casual after Persona 3, makes it seem all the more significant in that game.
- "Social Link with the Fox, dude! This is the greatest game ever made!" The social link itself sucks (especially for how mandatory it is). It sounds silly but I feel like they could have at least had a vignette or two to flesh the fox out a bit more. The Rank 10 quest in Vanilla P4 is the worst thing ever.

I think that's everyone important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom