• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

It's more likely than anything with an English UI.

Which do you think is likelier: Showing a trailer with English VA and Japanese UI, or showing a trailer with no English outside of subs?

VA'ing is done much earlier than UI, and if they're doing more polishing, it's possible that some UI elements haven't been finalized.

Traditionally, Atlus has not shown English VA with Japanese UI for this reason. Do you believe that Persona 5 will be an exception to that, after all we've seen?

arue

So the Atlus USA upload of PV03 at PlayStation Experience 2015 in December, yeah? Will anyone be disappointed if it only has English subs?
Not really. PV01 taught me to set my expectations super low. I hope the gap between the JP and US version is closer than a month though.

FluxWaveZ

The E3 P4DAN trailer had english voice acting but the build was Japanese https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Lw4683vkM

A bit different since most of it was dancing and very few of the screens were japanese but it could happen.

That's true, but as you mention, I think that's a pretty big difference compared to Persona 5's PV03. There are only but a few seconds where that is apparent in the P4D trailer, while Japanese text is present throughout PV03.

If they have the voice cast lined up then they could get them to just dub over the trailer. Don't really need any other localisation work to be done for that.

But it does seem a bit early. Either subs or no P5 presence is more realistic.

Do you think they would show a trailer with English voice acting but Japanese UI?

It's not that uncommon. PV2 did it, and a number of Kingdom Hearts trailers have done it. I'm sure there's more examples too.

I don't think it's likely, but it is possible.

Makio

Is really PV03 that hard to localize , they only need to change box dialogues , and places names (like dungeons or city places) and the SNS part.

besides that i dont see anything too hard you can put over or replace using a video editor (like Vegas or such)

But know i remember they dont that with pv01 ... but i dont think is that hard.

Is really PV03 that hard to localize , they only need to change box dialogues , and places names (like dungeons or city places) and the SNS part.

besides that i dont see anything too hard you can put over or replace using a video editor (like Vegas or such)

But know i remember they dont that with pv01 ... but i dont think is that hard.

They'd have to completely recut the trailer with English sections of the game, which means that they'd need to be at that point in the localisation. If they're going to do that, it would be easier just to make a whole new trailer.

FluxWaveZ

It's not that uncommon. PV2 did it, and a number of Kingdom Hearts trailers have done it. I'm sure there's more examples too.

I don't think it's likely, but it is possible.

Purely talking about Atlus. Square Enix does this all the time, and so do other game companies like Aksys; companies which synchronize English and Japanese media of their games disseminated to their audience. If you mean P4D's PV2, I already explained why that's quite different from a similar case for Persona 5's PV03.

We also don't know what we're going to get from Atlus Japan between now and then. Probably nothing after they update the website with the TGS/Famitsu stuff, but there's a small chance we'll get another trailer which is easier to localise.

Lunar15

We also don't know what we're going to get from Atlus Japan between now and then. Probably nothing after they update the website with the TGS/Famitsu stuff, but there's a small chance we'll get another trailer which is easier to localise.

Why? There's like, 6 months to go. I'd hope they could spread out their trailers better than that.

I dunno if it's old news (in that case throw me a bone, I've been super busy with university and couldn't follow the thread at all :( ), but Rice Digital has opened the preorders on the EU Disco Fever edition of P4DAN: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/persona-4-dancing-all-night-disco-fever-edition-ps-vita

75 GBP... It's a bit too much, considering that the base game is 30 GBP. But I absolutely need this T_T

Yeah, it's an absolutely disgusting price, but it's NISA publishing it in EU and they are fucking awful at getting prices correct across continents.

The PQ bundle was close to £70 too IIRC.

Someone needs to tell these companies that $1 doesnt equal £1, because we are getting constantly ripped off.

Makio

And PV02 ?????

I mean yeah Atlus still thinks that is a super exclusive trailer , but good lord that one is the easy to localize ... dont show too much gameplay , already have the phrases in English (like Steal back your future , student by day / thief by night).

AtlusUSA only really need to voice over the japanese cast (mainly The Phantom / Arsene) ... and the others have a line of dialogue. Dont matter how far they got the voices record , they can ask their cast to record a couple of lines for the trailer

That trailer screams english version already.

Squire

Banned
I still think we're getting it really closely to Japan, too. They put the effort on for SMTIV and there's even more riding on P5.

We should always be braced for the possibility we really will just have to wait, but until they say the plan is changed, I'm relatively confident the gap is going to be very short.

yuuki

They'd have to completely recut the trailer with English sections of the game, which means that they'd need to be at that point in the localisation. If they're going to do that, it would be easier just to make a whole new trailer.

not really they just could place the english text overit via video editing, still time intensive but much easier.

FluxWaveZ

not really they just could place the english text overit via video editing, still time intensive but much easier.

Then that goes all the way back to the point of there just being subs, which doesn't sound time intensive at all. They sure wouldn't design unique UI elements for the purpose of overlaying them on a trailer.

Aside: Forget about PV02, that thing really was exclusive to P4D after all (well, other than them showing it during the TGS Sega stream). Which means that we won't be seeing it from Atlus USA, either. Heavily doubt we see any new Japanese media for Persona 5 until 2016, which would mean Atlus USA would need to use PV03 for their next showing of the game. PSX would be the time to just throw an upload of it on their channel, even if the game isn't showcased at the conference.

Yeah, it's an absolutely disgusting price, but it's NISA publishing it in EU and they are fucking awful at getting prices correct across continents.

The PQ bundle was close to £70 too IIRC.

Someone needs to tell these companies that $1 doesnt equal £1, because we are getting constantly ripped off.

Yeah it's really gross. It would probably be cheaper to buy a regular version of the game, import the extended soundtrack and then buy the dlc than just buying that version.

Makio

This exactly i was saying earlier they dont need to change any scenes , only replace text and put the english voices over.

But seriously if they cant do that , they can go with pv02 much easier .. if Atlus Japan let them to use that preorder exclusive footage lol.

Edit: Well fuck pv02 then ...

yuuki

Then that goes all the way back to the point of there just being subs, which doesn't sound time intensive at all. They sure wouldn't design unique UI elements for the purpose of overlaying them on a trailer.

Aside: Forget about PV02, that thing really was exclusive to P4D after all (well, other than them showing it during the TGS Sega stream). Which means that we won't be seeing it from Atlus USA, either. Heavily doubt we see any new Japanese media for Persona 5 until 2016, which would mean Atlus USA would need to use PV03 for their next showing of the game. PSX would be the time to just throw an upload of it on their channel, even if the game isn't showcased at the conference.

not subs, more along the line of manga translation groups. Digitally replacing all japanese text with english.

yuuki

Yeah it's really gross. It would probably be cheaper to buy a regular version of the game, import the extended soundtrack and then buy the dlc than just buying that version.

you only need to tell it to nisa. they are the worst.... GBP in europe and stupidly high delivery costs.

Squire

Banned
I feel like all this weight is being put on PSX. Why? Because the game is only on PS platforms?

It's equally possible Atlus just does their own thing.

And of course the "we cant get enough roles" ones : Erin Fitzgerald , Yuri Lowenthal , Karen Strassman , Troy Baker , Laura Bailey ...

*Matt Mercer

I dunno if it's old news (in that case throw me a bone, I've been super busy with university and couldn't follow the thread at all :( ), but Rice Digital has opened the preorders on the EU Disco Fever edition of P4DAN: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/persona-4-dancing-all-night-disco-fever-edition-ps-vita

75 GBP... It's a bit too much, considering that the base game is 30 GBP. But I absolutely need this T_T

ooookayyyy wellll fuck that then. I already have the soundtrack, anyway.

FluxWaveZ

I feel like all this weight is being put on PSX. Why? Because the game is only on PS platforms?

It's equally possible Atlus just does their own thing.

Unless you think that Atlus USA won't be putting out PV03 until 2016, do you not think that PSX would be the time to upload the trailer, just as they did for Teaser #2 at PSX 2014 or PV01 at E3 2015?

Makio

Same. I'd love it if she were Ann. Heck, she could probably pull off Morgana, too.

Same (x2) she can nail both roles , hell even she can get a Velvet Twin if she likes.

But im will very happy if she got a party member Ann or
Scrunchy
another one (if we got another female party member)

Squire

Banned
Unless you think that Atlus USA won't be putting out PV03 until 2016, do you not think that PSX would be the time to upload the trailer, just as they did for Teaser #2 at PSX 2014 or PV01 at E3 2015?

It's not that I disagree with that idea, I'm just saying it's equally likely that, yeah, they just put the trailer out randomly in February or something.

When it comes to Persona 5 releasing in Japan, I really feel we'll get the release date announced by March.

I can't imagine them being overly silent anymore like they were in the past. They've shared too many details now for that to be the case, in my opinion. I'm expecting radio silence in Q4 2015, but not in Q1 2016. They're going to have to give us the release date as the Spring season begins, or else people will become concerned. Hashino himself has pretty much stated that the game is complete and that they're polishing it up and making sure the game works well with the scope they've wanted. So, to not show anything by March would look very bad. I can't imagine the release date being announced in May, as that's too far into the season, and cuts close to when Summer begins. I don't think ATLUS would make fans wait that long for the release date. There's no other game coming out by ATLUS in 2016 besides this and Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, which releases on January 14, 2016.

I'm expecting the game to launch in July 2016, as it feels the most likely judging by past Persona mainline releases by the P-Studio, and the fact that for the most part, when ATLUS JP says "Summer" it's usually July, with P4U2 being the exception.

Sorry for the rant. I just decided to post this because I saw people discussing P5, and wanted to share my opinion.

As for when we'll see a full English trailer: I'm honestly expecting E3 2016, because I've noticed that's when Atlus USA does that for the most part.

Mystic's points of view always give me hope ... July in Japan and September in America sounds fine to me.

I'm glad I could give you hope.

Another reason why I think it will be July is because school ends in Japan around that time, creating even more marketing opportunities for the game there.

Makio

To think... a whole year...

Well always can be earlier depending in the release date in Japan (Summer stars in May there i think ) and how fast Atlus USA can localize that game.

A worldwide release is out of the question ? , or they can change the release window to something earlier if they finish to polish the game early ...no ?

daevious

Christina Vee playing anyone would make me happy

After Danganronpa 2 and D4, I'm all for Chris Tergliafera showing up in some capacity or another.

EDIT: I kinda hope the game ships earlier than July 2016, because by then I'll be stuck in the time crunching black hole that is being a fully functional adult. ;_;

Lunar15

Well always can be earlier depending in the release date in Japan (Summer stars in May there i think ) and how fast Atlus USA can localize that game.

A worldwide release is out of the question ? , or they can change the release window to something earlier if they finish to polish the game early ...no ?

As flux said, anything goes. Depending on where this game's at, they could begin localization at any point.

As for when we'll see a full English trailer: I'm honestly expecting E3 2016, because I've noticed that's when Atlus USA does that for the most part.

As long as at the end of this hypothetical English trailer it's out within a month - at most - I'd be fine.

Seriously, no five month gap a la the original PS2 release of P4 pleeeease. I won't be able to survive more than a month in between JPN and NA releases of this game.

daevious

As long as at the end of this hypothetical English trailer it's out within a month - at most - I'd be fine.

Seriously, no five month gap a la the original PS2 release of P4 pleeeease. I won't be able to survive more than a month in between JPN and NA releases of this game.

Remember that at the time, a five month turnabout was fuckin' fast in comparison to previous SMT releases. Hell, the bigger concern was that the USA branch would have to translate a game that had far more text than Persona 3 with only half the time to do it in.

The fact that Persona 4's now a benchmark for how to do an English translation is a testiment to how good the team at Atlus USA was and still is.

gengar_persona_5_avatar_by_quarksney-d9aspn1.png

Persona 5 made me break my "always use the same drawing of Gengar in avatars" rule, and I'm not even mad.

Thank you again for the frame and background template, Nachos.

Thought it was interesting that Jeremy Parish of US Gamer wrote an article about how P5 (seems) to be addressing social issues. I'd say it's worth a read if you're interested.

Even more interesting is that he linked to Persona Central about halfway through, haha.

Top Bottom