• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Makio

Here is the finnest example of i was talking earlier. The most complete english translation of the pv03 so far , dialogues , places , dungeons and even gameplay shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TZtNtCs5JY

Only add the dub and this can work as official

This is what i expect from AtlusUSA if they show the pv03 somewhere , i mean if a single fan can do it using Vegas or After Effects i dont see why Atlus USA cant.

They have 2 months to edit that trailer .... and can ask tips to that guy if they are stuck lol.

I agree with Makio - Atlus should be able to dub over those lines in time for E3 and present the UI with subs/typesetting.

Heck, even a "*Japanese Gameplay Shown" message on the bottom would work.

Zareka

£80 for P4D Disco Fever edition in the UK from Rice Digital. I'd expect a similar price from the NISA EU store.

~£70, including FedEx priority shipping, from VGP to import. Absolutely bonkers.

So, I stumbled upon something that's a little odd.

The PC and mobile Persona 5 site in Japan have a different date for when PV#03 was uploaded.

The PC site has the correct date of September 17, 2015 "2015.09.17 up" but the mobile site says it was uploaded on September 15, 2015 "2015.09.15 up"

This could just be a typo, but still, it's a tad bit strange.

PC Site (Correct Date) said:
5e80b2af14.png

Mobile Site (Incorrect Date) said:

Also, SMT: Digital Devil Saga, Digital Devil Saga 2 and Nocturne (Lucifer's Call) are. Bought those three for $18 AUD all together.

Ah, I just searched for Shin Megami Tensei, so those games didn't appear. The PS Store really needs a better way to sort games by franchise.

Shadownade

Neo Member
Can't sleep.
12:36am (AEST)

...Pick my poison.
Nocturne or 3FES? I'm catching my breath after what seems like my umpteenth playthrough of P4G.

Zareka

Wow, at amazon.de it's only 80€, which is less than £60.

Maybe you want to order there?
Well £60 is better I guess, even if still more expensive than the US. I've already paid my import but I'll shuffle that around to people I know who may be interested, thanks.

It's just annoying we get shafted this hard for LEs.

Also, SMT: Digital Devil Saga, Digital Devil Saga 2 and Nocturne (Lucifer's Call) are. Bought those three for $18 AUD all together.

Well, shit. I never got to finish DDS on PS2, so I guess I'll have to get in on that. I don't think I've ever spent so much on a single PSN sale as this one.

It's just annoying we get shafted this hard for LEs.

Blame NISA, they have absolutely no idea how currency works. Their whole EU online store is full of similarly overpriced stuff.

Dantis

All the info on P5 that's come out over the last week has relaxed me a little. It sounds a lot closer to P3 and P4 than it seemed like it might be.

Still sounds completely mad, like, but the game sounds really solid.

Have I found it...?
Is this the fabled PersonaGAF?

JoJo from the Mayonaka Network here. Hope you enjoy having me on board!

Welcome!

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
All the info on P5 that's come out over the last week has relaxed me a little. It sounds a lot closer to P3 and P4 than it seemed like it might be.

Still sounds completely mad, like, but the game sounds really solid.

Didn't the guy say that P3 and P4 players would right at home?

Despite P3 becoming my GOAT, i'm really liking how P5 is shaping up to be. Especially with the theme being based around
society
from what I've seen so far. It's something i am interested in, and I may even relate depending on how the themes are written

Lunar15

There's so much persona talk on all the mainstream gaming websites. On one hand, I shouldn't be surprised, 3 and 4 were critical darlings, but on the other it's kind of amazing to see so many journalists rally behind what's an otherwise niche game.

FluxWaveZ

There's so much persona talk on all the mainstream gaming websites. On one hand, I shouldn't be surprised, 3 and 4 were critical darlings, but on the other it's kind of amazing to see so many journalists rally behind what's an otherwise niche game.

Not targeting your comment, but a lot of people like to talk about how "niche" Persona is in the West as if it's this minor series on the same plane as Hyperdimension Neptunia or something. When Persona 5 comes out, those people will realize full well that that's not the case.

The game was hitting most anticipated lists all over the place when all we knew about it were chairs, chains and emancipation, and it's only been looking better since then.

Lunar15

Not targeting your comment, but a lot of people like to talk about how "niche" Persona is in the West as if it's this minor series on the same plane as Hyperdimension Neptunia or something. When Persona 5 comes out, those people will realize full well that that's not the case.

The game was hitting most anticipated lists all over the place when all we knew about it were chairs, chains and emancipation, and it's only been looking better since then.

Well, it's certainly not neptunia niche, but I'd sill say it's niche in the grand scheme of gaming. It's a niche concept. I think what I mean is, it's kind of nuts that so many mainstream gaming websites are talking about this turn based japanese RPG that follows japanese high school students while they make friends and do chores.

That's what amazes me, you know? By all means it should be far more niche than it actually is.

FluxWaveZ

Well, it's certainly not neptunia niche, but I'd sill say it's niche in the grand scheme of gaming. I think what I mean is, it's kind of nuts that so many mainstream gaming websites are talking about this turn based japanese RPG that follows japanese high school students while they make friends and do chores.

That's what amazes me, you know? By all means it should be far more niche than it actually is.

There's that, but I think a lot of people like to equate "niche" as if that means anything to enthusiasts. Besides the fact that I think Persona 5 will easily sell 1 million units in the West alone—so "niche" is kind of a weird term already—there's the fact that enthusiast websites recognize the quality of the franchise and the presumed quality of its latest mainline entry, which is well deserved.

Even if the general public wouldn't recognize it, it's good that enthusiast websites actually do.

Zolo

Well, it's certainly not neptunia niche, but I'd sill say it's niche in the grand scheme of gaming. It's a niche concept. I think what I mean is, it's kind of nuts that so many mainstream gaming websites are talking about this turn based japanese RPG that follows japanese high school students while they make friends and do chores.

I don't think it's that different from gaining a lot of similar followers to Bioware games as well as JRPG fans. A lot of it is the same people who like social links/companions. And of course, both often get accusations of how they're not rpgs, but waifu/romance simulators.

Lunar15

Mass Effect is still pretty generic sci-fi with guns wrapped into a military setting. It's not that wild.

When I say Persona is niche, I'm not saying that it's selling poorly, it's that the concept itself is so far out there that I'd never expect it to sell or get talked about as much as it does.

My point is, it's an anime game, unabashedly. Yet you have people talking about it who would otherwise never even look at anime, let alone play a game that looks and sounds like one.

I think it was Xenoblade X that John mentioned during a livestream as being incredibly mainstream when compared to the kind of thing that Atlus USA localises.

Of course, Persona stuff is probably the exception to that.

Zolo

Mass Effect is still pretty generic sci-fi with guns wrapped into a military setting. It's not that wild.

When I say Persona is niche, I'm not saying that it's selling poorly, it's that the concept itself is so far out there that I'd never expect it to sell or get talked about as much as it does.

I was kinda responding more to the second statement about what appeals to a lot of the people who buy the games. At the end of the day, I still say social links are the main draw to the game with a good gameplay/system to back it up to become more popular.

I still can't believe there are still people out there thinking we won't get social links or that people actually thought there wouldn't be some version of it..

But yeah. It being an anime game is obviously going to turn people off though people have varying amounts of what turn them off. I know people who love stuff like Bleach, but won't touch One Piece because of the art style.

cj_iwakura

I think it was Xenoblade X that John mentioned during a livestream as being incredibly mainstream when compared to the kind of thing that Atlus USA localises.

Of course, Persona stuff is probably the exception to that.

Yet calling Xenoblade niche got a Nintendo staffer fired. Funny about that.

FluxWaveZ

I was kinda responding more to the second statement about what appeals to a lot of the people who buy the games. At the end of the day, I still say social links are the main draw to the game with a good gameplay/system to back it up to become more popular.

I disagree. Regarding the current excitement we're seeing from enthusiast websites and from fans, I really don't think it's because of the prospect of Social Links. I don't think that's Persona's "main draw," but it's a confluence of elements integrating together really well.

They haven't shown any Social Link stuff whatsoever in any of the Persona 5 media we've seen, yet people are very excited with what they're seeing. If it was just about communicating with characters, games like Conception II would be more popular than they are.

I agree that it's one of the many important elements that makes Persona what it is but, like Mass Effect or new Fire Emblem, it's not primarily about social/dating sim stuff.

Zolo

I disagree. Regarding the current excitement we're seeing from enthusiast websites and from fans, I really don't think it's because of the prospect of Social Links. I don't think that's Persona's "main draw," but it's a confluence of elements integrating together really well.

They haven't shown any Social Link stuff whatsoever in any of the Persona 5 media we've seen, yet people are very excited with what they're seeing. If it was just about communicating with characters, games like Conception II would be more popular than they are.

I agree that it's one of the many important elements that makes Persona what it is but, like Mass Effect or new Fire Emblem, it's not primarily about social/dating sim stuff.

Hmm.....Yeah. I see what you mean. In that case, hopefully a SMT console game that recycles assets will do good as well. =-)

Zolo

What's funny is Fire Emblem fans who may have made fun of Persona for being a dating sim where the feature's now pretty heavily advertised for it complete with touch controls while it hasn't been advertised in any of the Persona games I believe other than mentioning it's in the game.

FluxWaveZ

This point of conversation was glossed over in the wake of P5's delay, but I do have to wonder how the anime and the 20th anniversary factor in. For the former, I have to wonder whether the decision for it came before or after they knew the game would be pushed back.

If it was before, would they have had the time to release it as promotional material before P5's 2015 release? If it was after, was it made specifically to keep P5 in the minds of the audience and potentially replace marketing some of the game itself, if they don't want to disclose too much?

It's pretty convenient that as P5 gets delayed to next year, it aligns itself with the 20th anniversary of the franchise along with a whole festival event, and that there will now be a Persona 5 anime presumably preceding the game's release.

Hmm.....Yeah. I see what you mean. In that case, hopefully a SMT console game that recycles assets will do good as well. =-)

SMTIV is the best selling mainline SMT game, so sure. Persona's success has extended to the increased success of other P Studio and Megaten games, like Catherine, SMT, and soon to be Genei Ibun Roku #FE. Persona 5 will only amplify that effect after its release.

I'll admit that the touching stuff in Fates is pretty gnarly.

We'll have to see what the anime actually is first. If it's basically an ad like the Persona 2 one, or an anime version of the game's intro like the Virtue's Last Reward one then I'd say that it's just marketing to help with the delay.

OTOH, if it's something more substantial, like a prequel or side story in the same universe, then I could see it being something that was always planned.

FluxWaveZ

We'll have to see what the anime actually is first. If it's basically an ad like the Persona 2 one, or an anime version of the game's intro like the Virtue's Last Reward one then I'd say that it's just marketing to help with the delay.

If this is what it turns out to be, a conspiracy theory comes to mind regarding a switch that might have happened between PV02 and P5 OVA in the P4D "Special movie" Blu-ray.

OTOH, if it's something more substantial, like a prequel or side story in the same universe, then I could see it being something that was always planned.

I got the idea that it's basically a full version of that trailer where we first see the protag's face.

Would be interesting to see if blu ray plans did change, considering how underwhelming PV2 was compared to what was, perhaps unrealistically with hindsight, expected, and they just put it together because they had to have something after announcing it.

Also interesting that the only mentions of 2015 on the disk is at the end of the TGS 2014 teaser and PV1. The date was completely removed from the announcement one, rather than being replaced with 2015, and there's no date at all on PV2.

FluxWaveZ

I got the idea that it's basically a full version of that trailer where we first see the protag's face.

Huh... hadn't considered that. I, like most I think, probably assumed that was from the game.

But if that's actually part of the special anime for P5 and not from the game itself, and it was revealed all the way back on September 1, 2014, I'm actually starting to believe my conspiracy theory.

That teaser would work, too, since it obviously takes place before the inciting incident of the story goes down (or the teaser ends right as it's happening).

Zolo

I also admit I'm curious when the protagonist gets his persona. It looked like the train in the first trailer, but he doesn't seem to have one when they first meet Morgana. There's also the scene with the knights holding spears across his neck.

I think the teaser is multiple parts of the game spliced together. The first part could be the start of the game.

During the second part, we see the mc checking his phone, then looking around, then the Arsene tease. With knowledge from PV3, I would assume that he's using Isekainabi there, which could place it after his awakening.

I also admit I'm curious when the protagonist gets his persona. It looked like the train in the first trailer, but he doesn't seem to have one when they first meet Morgana. There's also the scene with the knights holding spears across his neck.
He has it when he meets Morgana, because he's in his thief getup, which we see him acquire during his awakening. The scene with the knights is his awakening, and that's in the old castle dungeon.

Top Bottom