• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Zolo

He has it when he meets Morgana, because he's in his thief getup, which we see him acquire during his awakening. The scene with the knights is his awakening, and that's in the old castle dungeon.

That's what I get for not analyzing more closely.

cj_iwakura

No, speaking on the company's behalf without permission and talking down to fans got a staffer fired. Didn't matter what he actually was talking about.

He got fired for being brutally honest. Had any company but Nintendo done that, people would have been 100% on his side.

FluxWaveZ

I think the teaser is multiple parts of the game spliced together. The first part could be the start of the game.

During the second part, we see the mc checking his phone, then looking around, then the Arsene tease. With knowledge from PV3, I would assume that he's using Isekainabi there, which could place it after his awakening.

Well, we've managed to splice together anime cutscene footage in increments from PV01, PV02, PV03, and the Lyn Inaizumi sung OP video, but has there been anything like that for Teaser #2? From what I can tell, the whole scene depicted in teaser #2 is especially isolated, and nothing from any of the other trailers has directly connected to it except for 1 second of the protagonist walking under a bridge in PV02 (at 00:46).

Though, I assume
Teaser #2 is before the MC's awakening. In PV02, we hear Arsene talk about whether or not the MC made a mistake by doing what he did, which immediately flashes back to Teaser #2. MC has a moment of realization, and that's when he awakes to his Persona, with the usual "I art thou, thou art I" spiel. Something took place before his awakening, though it could be Isekainabi related.
Whether or not it is, that seems like the part of the story they'd make an anime adaptation or extension about. They won't be making one about something that happens late in the story, and they won't be making something that happens before the story starts in a way that would spoil things that happen in the game later, either.

Doing it like VLR or P2's OVAs, which basically showed us the opening sequence of those games from other angles, is what I would expect from P5's anime, too. In that sense, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that there's something about Teaser #2 that works perfectly with that.

yuuki

Huh... hadn't considered that. I, like most I think, probably assumed that was from the game.

But if that's actually part of the special anime for P5 and not from the game itself, and it was revealed all the way back on September 1, 2014, I'm actually starting to believe my conspiracy theory.

That teaser would work, too, since it obviously takes place before the inciting incident of the story goes down (or the teaser ends right as it's happening).

if you go down that route you also could say that maybe the whole second half of pv3 could be for the anime too. Maybe the anime is meant as an glorifies character introduction.

FluxWaveZ

if you go down that route you also could say that maybe the whole second half of pv3 could be for the anime too. Maybe the anime is meant as an glorifies character introduction.

No, I don't think this. The game will have anime cutscenes by Production I.G, obviously, and the trailers have all shown us out of context ones we'll be seeing in the game itself. Some obviously take place after some major shit goes down, and I think that might be outside the range of what we'll be seeing in the Persona 5 anime.

Wonder if the MC will talk in the anime then. We still don't know if he talks in game or not. There's one part of PV3 in particular which makes me think he will, but he hasn't really spoken outside of the live events yet.

He got fired for being brutally honest. Had any company but Nintendo done that, people would have been 100% on his side.

Doubtful. Only the higher-ups at any company get to admit weakness.

(I'm assuming Konami doesn't count, cause that would be cheating)

Wonder if the MC will talk in the anime then. We still don't know if he talks in game or not. There's one part of PV3 in particular which makes me think he will, but he hasn't really spoken outside of the live events yet.

Maybe he talks in the same way Vincent does in Catherine? You still get dialog choices, but he feels more like a part of the cast than a mute, miming robot.

FluxWaveZ

The P5MC talks on his character page in sound bite 2, where he says something like:
So this is that power…
That's more than what the P3 or P4 protagonists ever said in their respective games. I'm guessing that's from the game and not the anime, though.

QuadOpto

One thing I'm wondering is if we'll get an official name for the Protagonist before the game even comes out.

Would be great for terribly uncreative people (Like me!).

One thing I'm wondering is if we'll get an official name for the Protagonist before the game even comes out.

Would be great for terribly uncreative people (Like me!).

God, i hope so.

Ive always stuck with canon names. I really hope they do the P2 thing of having a canon name inserted, but with the option to choose your own, then everyone is happy.

Whatever this P5 anime OVA/special/hulabaloo is, I hope it's not something akin to the Kingdom Hearts spin offs where if you don't watch it, and then you go and play the mainline game itself, you'll miss out on plot details and specifics you would have gotten had you watched the anime.

That's the experience I had when I went into Kingdom Hearts 2 without playing Chain of Memories way back when. It was suddenly, "Here's this blonde girl with a sketch book! Who's she? Oh, too bad, I didn't play the portable spin-off! And here's this Organization XIII, but there aren't XIII of them anymore, and some of them defected... Wait, what?"

I'm expecting something like the Tales of Zestiria anime special. As in, it adapts the first hour or two of the game with some differences to make it more immediately accessible.

What might be neat is if they do something more like the recent Ace Attorney or Danganronpa demos, adopting the first part of the game, but with changes to mislead expectations for when you actually play through that part of the game.

FluxWaveZ

What do you mean? Were there demos for AA and DR?

Ace Attorney 5 and Danganronpa had playable demos with made up scenarios which weren't featured in the actual game, in an effort to not spoil players but still put out a demo for the games. AA5's was released in English; you can find the translated video for Danganronpa's here.

The Zero Escape VLR OVA also featured made up elements in order to mislead players and to avoid spoiling the story. I'm not sure Persona 5's anime will be doing that, though; I see it more like being a montage of sequences like Persona 2's OVA.

Shadownade

Neo Member
What might be neat is if they do something more like the recent Ace Attorney or Danganronpa demos, adopting the first part of the game, but with changes to mislead expectations for when you actually play through that part of the game.

I was thinking something along the lines of a demo akin to Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae, where you play through a small portion of the story without anything getting spoiled for you.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm a bit behind, but oh well. That Famitsu Persona and character art is very nice. I like Carmen's design much more now that I can see it entirely. I was confused by the heart-shaped box she was holding in the trailer, but now that I see the echoes of Chie's shadow in it, I quite like it. I think Soejima did a very nice job as usual. Overall, I like that he went for a more detailed aesthetic but still kept them striking and unique.

I do hope that the upgraded versions are equally cool and iconic. I tend to like the OG personas more than the upgrades in P3 and P4. I guess I could just not finish the social links in 4, but I don't have the self control to stop at rank 9.

Lunar15

Hold up, in the sheer insanity of that event, I think I glossed over some facts. The OVA is coming out before the game and is a prequel?

Noooo thank you. Release the game and then begin your milking, please.

Zolo

Hold up, in the sheer insanity of that event, I think I glossed over some facts. The OVA is coming out before the game and is a prequel?

You'll buy every Morgana merch and love it. They even got the Pikachu and Tony Tony chopper voice actor.

Nick_C

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I think Persona's popularity in the west is in no small part thanks to the Vita. How many "Best of" lists are out there that omit Golden? It was either a stroke of genius, or a happy accident, that Atlus would gain so much mindshare by making P4G an exclusive to the system.

When Golden is undoubtedly the best piece of software for the handheld people go from, "Yeah, I've heard of it." to "I need to find out what the fuss is about."

No, as far as I know, there aren't any details about the anime project, whatever it is. What type of anime and what it will be about are up in the air. A prequel OVA just seems likely, as a way to advertise the game.

Replaying P4.

> Start the Hanged Man link super late, in September.
>
"Mr. Morooka said you're filling in for an absent member, so you have to go, too! I told you, okay? You better go, or else I'll get suspended! "

Um, lol.
He's been dead for like over a month at this point.

DNAbro

Btw. the four Persona 5 videos on the official Atlus YT channel are now the four most watched videos they have. PV#03 is no. four, but I guess it can still overtake the first two teasers. Although I doubt it can reach the number of views PV#01 got.

It's crazy to look back at the original teaser and TGS teaser compared to now. I'm still incredibly curious what exactly is happening the TGS teaser. Going from all the latest things
there seems to be some incident involving the train. Does the teaser take place after that incident? Does the Palace have something to do with everybody freezing? and still is that Persona in the flames Arsene or someone else's?

squadr0n

Finally started Persona Q, went with the Persona 3 cast. Really enjoy having one last adventure with everyone from 3 and 4 together for the first time. Although I really feel they missed a great opportunity with the plot of this game.

Persona 3/FES Spoilers:
I really wish they had done something with the fate of the Main Character after the end of 3. If anything they could have had the cast of Persona 4 being summoned too help the remaining cast of Persona 3 try and help save the Main Character. We could have seen a whole new dungeon on the other side of the giant door where the MC is trapped and we have to break him out.

On a side note, I love how they are taking the story to a whole new level with Persona 5.

Finally started Persona Q, went with the Persona 3 cast. Really enjoy having one last adventure with everyone from 3 and 4 together for the first time. Although I really feel they missed a great opportunity with the plot of this game.

Persona 3/FES Spoilers:
I really wish they had done something with the fate of the Main Character after the end of 3. If anything they could have had the cast of Persona 4 being summoned too help the remaining cast of Persona 3 try and help save the Main Character. We could have seen a whole new dungeon on the other side of the giant door where the MC is trapped and we have to break him out.

Ooh, best watch what you suggest about that topic here, you might upset someone's precious themes.

Also, they've got to save something for PQ2, right? :p

Sophia

In regards to the massive P3/FES spoilers, all I have to say is this:

God is dead. God remains dead. And Atlus has killed him. How shall they comfort themselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the gaming world has yet owned has bled to death under their own knives: who will wipe this blood off them? What water is there for them to clean their selves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall they have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for them? Must they themselves not become JRPG gods simply to appear worthy of it?

Which is a fancy way of saying let him stay gone and go make another amazing RPG instead.

It was nice that Q
actually had a mostly independant plot, rather than trying to tie itself in to the continuity of P3 and 4 like the Arena games did.

and
P3 MC should stay dead, and there's no reason to revisit that, or any other plot points from P3 and 4 again.

In regards to the massive P3/FES spoilers, all I have to say is this:

God is dead. God remains dead. And Atlus has killed him. How shall they comfort themselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the gaming world has yet owned has bled to death under their own knives: who will wipe this blood off them? What water is there for them to clean their selves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall they have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for them? Must they themselves not become JRPG gods simply to appear worthy of it?

Which is a fancy way of saying let him stay gone and go make another amazing RPG instead.

Huh. I thought it might be mainstream by now, but Persona really is a Nietzsche franchise after all...

That said, I completely agree with you.

Sophia

Huh. I thought it might be mainstream by now, but Persona really is a Nietzsche franchise after all...

That said, I completely agree with you.

Not so much the other installments, but there are a number of Nietzsche quotes in P3 and P3P's opening sequences. Don't think any of them are from the The Gay Science tho. Certainly not his most infamous quote. P3 and P4 do have a number of Nietzschen themes too.

But honestly, I just wanted to quote that in the name of humor mostly. >_>

Not so much the other installments, but there are a number of Nietzsche quotes in P3 and P3P's opening sequences. Don't think any of them are from the The Gay Science tho. Certainly not his most infamous quote. P3 and P4 do have a number of Nietzschen themes too.

But honestly, I just wanted to quote that in the name of humor mostly. >_>

Ah, yeah, I got a chuckle out of that. I was just trying to make a joke too (Nietzsche = niche), but I think it was too obtuse for it's own good. Either that, or it just wasn't funny.

I didn't know/remember that there were Nietzsche quotes in P3 opening sequences though, so I learned something!

Sophia

Ah, yeah, I got a chuckle out of that. I was just trying to make a joke too (Nietzsche = niche), but I think it was too obtuse for it's own good. Either that, or it just wasn't funny.

I didn't know/remember that there were Nietzsche quotes in P3 opening sequences though, so I learned something!

Perhaps one of the most spoilerific of the P3 quotes:
“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.”

It's meaning and relation to the game is self evident to anyone who has finished Persona 3. :p

Translating translated Nietzsche quotes back into German is surprisingly complicated.

Cause they're not grammatically correct, like most profound quotes.

Arena suggests that Elizabeth is still looking for a way. They left a thread of hope for anyone really dying for his return(or at least P3C/Elizabeth OTP(I'm okay with this)), but it's doubtful they'll ever really confirm or deny it.
Fair enough.
Also, they brought up her plan as early as P4 vanilla's battle with Margaret, didn't they?

cj_iwakura

Persona 3/FES Spoilers:

On a side note, I love how they are taking the story to a whole new level with Persona 5.

Arena suggests that Elizabeth is still looking for a way. They left a thread of hope for anyone really dying for his return(or at least P3C/Elizabeth OTP(I'm okay with this)), but it's doubtful they'll ever really confirm or deny it.

Nachos

If Atlus USA is going to add English graphics to the trailer, then they're going to need to work with the Japan side at least a little bit, either to get some sort of English build working well enough to capture footage or to disable interface elements so they can superimpose graphics in their place. The fan typesetting actually shows why, because you've got issues of them trying to cram much wider English text into a small Japanese textbox that's variable-width and the daytime indicator having poor text mitering, which causes its text stroke to lose its sharp edges (see below). They need to look professionally presentable - fansub-tier typesetting isn't going to cut it, even if you look at the efforts of fansub groups like Underwater.

7WDw0gV.gif

Though, actually, I've never seen anyone discuss the type Atlus could use for the menus. The Japanese ones use gothic type with flared ends to make it look friendly/casual, so that limits the English version to using humanist sans-serifs. Persona 4 Golden did a really good job of capturing the spirit of the Japanese body text style, so I'm hoping Atlus USA puts a similar amount of effort into choosing the type for P5.

Cocon
whZ2SwB.gif

Cronos
V4lFvv8.gif

Otari
1twWfef.png

Persona 5 made me break my "always use the same drawing of Gengar in avatars" rule, and I'm not even mad.
I got really excited when I first saw it because, for some reason, I thought it was Don Patch from Bobobo, until I remembered your whole theming. Still looks really nice, though.

Top Bottom