• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

cbq

So much we still don't know about Persona 5's mechanics. All PV3 really told us on that front is that you can still acquire new personas.

Hopefully everyone will be customisable this time around, and I wouldn't mind if they just drop the wildcard stuff altogether and just have it so that anyone can switch personas, no story justification needed.
I think that only MC will be able to switch.
Summoning personas is tied to the masks and only MC's mask is generic looking. Masks of other party members more or less resemble their personas.

Setsu00

I think that only MC will be able to switch.
Summoning personas is tied to the masks and only MC's mask is generic looking. Masks of other party members more or less resemble their personas.

The MC's mask actually resembles the Arsène's face, just in white instead of black.

"Nevermind, we saved him. Humans are all better now." Yay?

You make it sound like it would be easy.

This is a small personal wish, but in P5 I really want an option to default new party members to direct control. It's like getting a gift then someone else unwrapping and playing with it before you get a chance. It happens infrequently enough that I forget to change them to direct control before the new member's first battle.

I forget every single time. Though I wonder if AI control will even be an option in 5...

JCX

This is a small personal wish, but in P5 I really want an option to default new party members to direct control. It's like getting a gift then someone else unwrapping and playing with it before you get a chance. It happens infrequently enough that I forget to change them to direct control before the new member's first battle.

cbq

The MC's mask actually resembles the Arsène's face, just in white instead of black.
I dunno. The shape is completely different, it only covers the eyes and I think horns should also be represented in some way. Well, those black outline-eyelash-things might represent Arsene's eyes. Maybe it's a generic mask with a bit of Arsene thrown into :p

I wonder if persona's evolution will also cause their thief outfits and masks to change.

.JayZii

Banned
Every time I get to November in P4,
I get annoyed that I have the option to tell Dojima everything, but I can't shove my hand in a TV to prove it. Like, I get they don't want the story to take that path, but having the option to confess everything paired with a TV right there in the interrogation room, and not to do the incredibly obvious proof is just so...dissonant. Just remove the television from the room or something.
Dissonant is the perfect word. I found that incredibly frustrating, and just kept thinking, "Okay, they wouldn't just have this super obvious television in plain view if it wasn't going to be a part of this interrogation." And then it just... isn't. It was really weird.

Part of it might just be sour grapes because the first time through i was expecting Dojima to join up with the party at the end; at least to save Nanako. He could have had such a badass Persona. Ah well, c'est la vie.
You make it sound like it would be easy.
It's such an ingrained and innate part of humanity, that I think any resolution other than something like what they went with would come across as too easy, though. Different strokes for different folks, of course, but the idea of changing the ending so that everyone can hang out at the mall and get coffee again just seems kind of bleh. It had impact already, why undercut that?

Persona 3/FES Spoilers:
I really wish they had done something with the fate of the Main Character after the end of 3. If anything they could have had the cast of Persona 4 being summoned too help the remaining cast of Persona 3 try and help save the Main Character. We could have seen a whole new dungeon on the other side of the giant door where the MC is trapped and we have to break him out.

If they do something they better do it good. I don't want a half-assed (P3 ending and very late-game Persona 4 spoilers)
"YAY HE'S BACK" like they did with Nanako. The whole scene is so much less significant now because of her revival

Too bad
humanity has to basically become enlightened for him to be free.

That or
we make someone else take his place.
If only
we had a disposable Wild Card lying arou-
Ultimax, you beautiful trash!

And suddenly Ultimax's ending is somewhat bearable

Since it looks like P5 MC will most likely be a Wild Card, I wonder if anyone will bring it up. I always thought it was weird that Yu switches between like 80 Personas and nobody ever thinks to wonder about it. At least Mitsuru was like, "and now we have someone who can use multiple Personas, what's going on?" for like one line.

In the animation during the (mid-game p4 spoilers)
Shadow Mitsuo fight, Yosuke comments saying "How many Personas has that guy been piling up?" right after Yu summons Yamata no Orochi

My post was mainly directed towards to the
revive makoto via spinoff game
sentiment that's been going around. I can't even put into words how much that would suck.

Again, it would have to be done extremely well for me to like it. (p3 ending spoilers)
I first wanted it because of how much I projected, and felt like part of me did die when the P3MC died, but a revival would just harm the themes, which i have come to appreciate more and more as time goes on

Nimby

Banned

The default option in Persona 4 is the direct party control, as you can't beat the game otherwise :p

I count on them doing away with the whole tactics thing anyway

I also hope they do away with the navigator, or there's not a specific one at least.

Grisby

P4 Golden last dungeon spoilers: You can back out of
Marie's dungeon and save/visit the fox and then go back to what floor you were on right?

The default option in Persona 4 is the direct party control, as you can't beat the game otherwise :p

No it isn't, but it's definitely the best one.

P4 Golden last dungeon spoilers: You can back out of
Marie's dungeon and save/visit the fox and then go back to what floor you were on right?

Nope. Unless you've got a
persona with Traesto on hand, maybe? I planned on swapping up my party, but all my original items (including GOHO-Ms) were gone.

Grisby

persona with Traesto on hand, maybe? I planned on swapping up my party, but all my original items (including GOHO-Ms) were gone.
So you have to stay in the dungeon the entire time? Damn, I was hoping to get a save in or something.

Zexx

Neo Member
So you have to stay in the dungeon the entire time? Damn, I was hoping to get a save in or something.

If I recall correctly. That entire dungeon is about brute-forcing your way through, but the boss is pretty easy considering how beat up you get going through it.

DNAbro

you get items specifically from the dungeon to use to escape and come back. Though it's kind of pointless to leave up until the final floor.

pretty sure an item drops in dungeon for leaving. sacred branch if remember correctly.

Grisby

Finished that dungeon. Now to hit the end.

Thanks for the replies guys, was lot, lot shorter than the others. Especially if you just keep escaping the fights.

squadr0n

If they do something they better do it good. I don't want a half-assed (P3 ending and very late-game Persona 4 spoilers)
"YAY HE'S BACK" like they did with Nanako. The whole scene is so much less significant now because of her revival

And suddenly Ultimax's ending is somewhat bearable

In the animation during the (mid-game p4 spoilers)
Shadow Mitsuo fight, Yosuke comments saying "How many Personas has that guy been piling up?" right after Yu summons Yamata no Orochi

Again, it would have to be done extremely well for me to like it. (p3 ending spoilers)
I first wanted it because of how much I projected, and felt like part of me did die when the P3MC died, but a revival would just harm the themes, which i have come to appreciate more and more as time goes on

Yes I agree with you, all of you pretty much. But the storyline would have had much more of an impact than what we got with Persona Q/Arena. I wouldnt change a thing with P3 and FES pretty much made it concrete but if they are going to continue using these characters they would have to do something with the fate of MC eventually.

PK Gaming

That's exactly what they were going for.

They explicitly wanted the player to vicariously experience death through the protagonist. They did this because death is something that everyone will experience one day, and they wanted the player to gain something from a pseudo death. The idea is that you spend all of P3 going out and forming connections with all of these characters and making your own choices, and it's not too dissimilar from real life. At one point, you will die, hence why it's best to make the most out of life. Whether that's through indulging in a passion, spending time with loved ones, doing what you want, etc. Live life to the fullest, because remember you will die. That's why the ending of P3 is so resonant and powerful. It wonderfully integrates the main theme into the player experience by making you experience "death", and i'll be damned if some zero-ambition, poorly written spinoff game undoes that to appease fanboys.

Dissonant is the perfect word. I found that incredibly frustrating, and just kept thinking, "Okay, they wouldn't just have this super obvious television in plain view if it wasn't going to be a part of this interrogation." And then it just... isn't. It was really weird.

Part of it might just be sour grapes because the first time through i was expecting Dojima to join up with the party at the end; at least to save Nanako. He could have had such a badass Persona. Ah well, c'est la vie.

I wanted so badly to haul him into a television and force him onto the Investigation Team, haha.

They explicitly wanted the player to vicariously experience death through the protagonist. They did this because death is something that everyone will experience one day, and they wanted the player to gain something from a pseudo death. The idea is that you spend all of P3 going out and forming connections with all of these characters and making your own choices, and it's not too dissimilar from real life. At one point, you will die, hence why it's best to make the most out of life. Whether that's through indulging in a passion, spending time with loved ones, doing what you want, etc. Live life to the fullest, because remember you will die. That's why the ending of P3 is so resonant and powerful. It wonderfully integrates the main theme into the player experience by making you experience "death", and i'll be damned if some zero-ambition, poorly written spinoff game undoes that appease fanboys.

And I'm quoting this because this guy gets it.

Guys, Dojima could never have gotten a Persona. Adults can't have them after all. Didn't any of you watch the super canon and important Trinity Souls? It's all explained there.

Guys, Dojima could never have gotten a Persona. Adults can't have them after all. Didn't any of you watch the super canon and important Trinity Souls? It's all explained there.

P4:

adachi is now retconned

speaking of,
i like how four people disappear and/or die after he's assigned to them and he isn't questioned for it

P4:

adachi is now retconned

speaking of,
i like how four people disappear and/or die after he's assigned to them and he isn't questioned for it

Wasn't he only assigned to the first two victims? Seeing as how they're the only ones who died, your point still stands

EDIT:
No he was
assigned Saki, Namatame and Mitsuru. He just went up to Yamano at the Amagi Inn to try and get some. But he was assigned Namatame waaaaaaay before he went missing or was considered a suspect.
By
Mitsuru
you mean
Rise
, right?

Wasn't he only assigned to the first two victims? Seeing as how they're the only ones who died, your point still stands

No he was
assigned Saki, Namatame and Mitsuru. He just went up to Yamano at the Amagi Inn to try and get some. But he was assigned Namatame waaaaaaay before he went missing or was considered a suspect.

If I recall correctly.

They explicitly wanted the player to vicariously experience death through the protagonist. They did this because death is something that everyone will experience one day, and they wanted the player to gain something from a pseudo death. The idea is that you spend all of P3 going out and forming connections with all of these characters and making your own choices, and it's not too dissimilar from real life. At one point, you will die, hence why it's best to make the most out of life. Whether that's through indulging in a passion, spending time with loved ones, doing what you want, etc. Live life to the fullest, because remember you will die. That's why the ending of P3 is so resonant and powerful. It wonderfully integrates the main theme into the player experience by making you experience "death", and i'll be damned if some zero-ambition, poorly written spinoff game undoes that to appease fanboys.

Oh, i definitely get it. I have said the same exact thing, i understand P3's themes very well.

(P3 ending spoilers)
Do you know that "...what do i do now?" feeling? That was me with P3's ending. I literally did not know what to do afterwards. I felt dead inside for quite some time.

It's the exact reason i don't want him to come back anymore, but i hate how Elizabeth's quest doesn't have a definite ending

Oh, i definitely get it. I have said the same exact thing, i understand P3's themes very well.

(P3 ending spoilers)
Do you know that "...what do i do now?" feeling? That was me with P3's ending. I literally did not know what to do afterwards. I felt dead inside for quite some time.

It's the exact reason i don't want him to come back anymore, but i hate how Elizabeth's quest doesn't have a definite ending

In all honesty, I think
never addressing it again
is a fair compromise between the two camps. :/

Just going back to a conversation we had a few days ago regarding the P4D bluray: In PV1 said to contain a Persona 5 Long Movie, but by PV2, it was just "packed to the brim with special footage." That first one doesn't really line up with what it actually contained, so it's possible that plans were changed at some point before PV2.

Makio

Just going back to a conversation we had a few days ago regarding the P4D bluray: In PV1 said to contain a Persona 5 Long Movie, but by PV2, it was just "packed to the brim with special footage." That first one doesn't really line up with what it actually contained, so it's possible that plans were changed at some point before PV2.

Like they plan to put the anime / ova in there ... but thanks to the delay they decided leave it for later....

Yeah.
I'm cool with just knowing Elizabeth and maybe Aigis will do what they can to save/help him which in their lifetimes means a LONG time.

Not to mention that if Atlus are good boys and leave P3 and P4 the hell alone after P5 comes out, we're free to think up whatever we individually want.

Hey, PersonaGAF.

Have a Phantom.

persona_5__the_phantom_by_quarksney-d9b6qmh.png

Love, Inquisitive_Ghost.

EDIT:

By
Mitsuru
you mean
Rise
, right?
I misremembered what happened with Misuzu Hiiragi and thought she was killed too. Adachi pushed in Mayumi Yamano, Saki, and Mitsuo. The former two died and the latter disappeared.

Man now that I'm wrapping up my Golden platinum I'm itching to replay P3, but I can't bring myself to play the stripped down Portable, or the outdated (lack of party control etc) FES.

I need a definitive edition on Vita or PS4 Atlus! ;_;

Wow, awesome!

Holy shit, that is fucking awesome. So cool!

This looks really good, thanks for sharing.

Much love to you all.

Didn't get a chance to say this before but I dig your artstyle

Thanks; so do I. Which sounds like a weird thing to say, but I hated the way I drew stuff--especially people--for years, so I'm glad I've finally landed in a place I can be proud of.

Lunar15

All I'm saying is, we're not making it out of the next decade without a few crossovers and a couple of brand new "Marie Sues" to hate.

Gecoma

Hi Persona-Gaf, long time lurker first time poster.

Thank god they didn't approve my neogaf account a week or so ago. That sure seems like a fast way to get banned on my first day.
RIP 2015 release

Even though I was 100% convinced that there was no way that P5 would come out this year it still hurts dammit!

Guess I can find the time to finish PQ & Ultimax in the long wait ahead now?
But I'd rather just be playing P5 :(

Oh also!
Marie is no worse a character than Ken, Fukka, Koromaru or Yukiko.
:p

Top Bottom