• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Azuran

Banned
I have seen the light. I started playing Persona 4 Golden and I'm completely in love after just 3 hours into the game. I can't believe I never bothered to touch this series before until today despite hearing about it for so long.

FluxWaveZ

I have seen the light. I started playing Persona 4 Golden and I'm in love after just 3 hours into the game. I can't believe I never bothered to touch this series before until today despite hearing about it for so long.

Most people's reactions. Some dismiss it for its high school setting, because it's too "anime," or because it's about teenagers, but they play it and then realize that was misguided.

Can you buy Persona 3 on Vita through PSN AND play it on Vita???????????? Please tell me.

Persona 3 Portable (the PSP version in which you can directly control allies and choose the gender of the main character but lacks 3D models and anime cutscenes) is available on Vita PSN for $20. At least in North America

Azuran

Banned
Most people's reactions. Some dismiss it for its high school setting, because it's too "anime," or because it's about teenagers, but they play it and then realize that was misguided.

I never actually dismissed the games, but I never got around to picking them up because I always thought an RPG in a modern high school setting wasn't going to be that interesting compared to a fantasy world. Sadly, like most people, I also assumed the characters were going to be nothing more than walking cliches so my interest wasn't there.

Now I'm wishing I could go back in time and slap myself for being an idiot. I could have been playing this a lot sooner D:

Gecoma

Happy holidays Persona-gaf!

I bought P4:DAN off PSN as a christmas gift to myself (& 'cas It's on sale) & Rise's new VA is already freaking me out.

I've played half a dozen songs so far & It's probably not a good sign that I'm having this much trouble on easy. Don't think I've ever played a pure rhythm game before, maybe I'll get more used to it with time.

I keep thinking about how I'll have played P5 by this time next year
...maybe...
but then again I thought that same thing last year!

Mediking

!!!! Wow!!!! I had no idea there were multiple Persona games you can buy on PSN and play on Vita!!! I'm buying a Vita!!! Do I really need to buy a bigger memory card if I'm buying all the Persona games on PSN for Vita? Well, I'll get Persona 4 Golden as physical.

!!!! Wow!!!! I had no idea there were multiple Persona games you can buy on PSN and play on Vita!!! I'm buying a Vita!!! Do I really need to buy a bigger memory card if I'm buying all the Persona games on PSN for Vita? Well, I'll get Persona 4 Golden as physical.

Well for the vita you can get P1, P2IS, P3P, P4G and P4DAN.

So however much space that takes, GET THE BIGGEST MEMORY CARD YOU CAN AFFORD!

Skii

I bought Persona 4: Dance All Night Limited edition today... What have I done? I don't even know how to play rhythm games lol. But it's Persona and I must see these characters again.

I don't call mine a Persona Box for nothing.

Mediking

Well for the vita you can get P1, P2IS, P3P, P4G and P4DAN.

So however much space that takes, GET THE BIGGEST MEMORY CARD YOU CAN AFFORD!

Yep, I wanna buy all those... P4G and P4DAN are physical but those other 3... Is the 8gb memory card enough? Do I need the 32gb????

Yep, I wanna buy all those... P4G and P4DAN are physical but those other 3... Is the 8gb memory card enough? Do I need the 32gb????

The thing with the vita is, if you use it, it will get full, because there is a deceptively large amount of great games for the system.

The only downside is the memory cards are ludicrously expensive, so it's either shell out for a big memory card (or hope for a sale), or get used to deleting stuff.

Also, dont forget, even if you have a physical game, it still has to install.

Yup, and it's the same cast as PQ/Ultimax with the exception of Laura Bailey (Rise) being replaced by (we think) Ashly Burch.
She's not great
No Laura Bailey in a game that Rise is one of the protagonists? :(

I pretty much enjoyed PQ/Ultimax new VAs. I have no concern about them.

Yup, and it's the same cast as PQ/Ultimax with the exception of Laura Bailey (Rise) being replaced by (we think) Ashly Burch.
She's not great

Into the back burner it goes, I am utterly charmed by Rise right now (first P4G playthrough) and I'd really not want her VA to change oh well

Mediking

The thing with the vita is, if you use it, it will get full, because there is a deceptively large amount of great games for the system.

The only downside is the memory cards are ludicrously expensive, so it's either shell out for a big memory card (or hope for a sale), or get used to deleting stuff.

Also, dont forget, even if you have a physical game, it still has to install.

Go big or go home, eh? Well.... Time to buy the biggest memory card then.

Ok, so......

Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
DDS1
DDS2
Raidou
Nocturne

What order shall I play them in? Keep in mind I've beaten P4 once, P4G 3 times and P3P twice (Never FES though). The others I've never touched though.

Makio

Got Dancing All Night for Christmas. Do I need to play story mode to unlock all the songs?

No , the only songs the history mode unlocks are the credits one and Margaret one.
The others can be unlocked playing other songs in free mode

Actually play the story mode feels so optional , i mean you can even play/unlock the final boss song without playing the story which feels silly since kinda spoil the moment.

Makio

In Ashly Burch defense she made Rise sounds more mature less childish like Rise hitting puberty or adulthood (lol) , i mean i love Bailey's take in Rise , but the worst lines of Burch are when she tries to sound like Bailey , when she uses her regular "cute" voice really works in my book.

Works in a diferent way , like Fitzgerald's Chie or Arem's Naoto they are not like the previous actress but their voices really fits the character and give them something different.

IMO of course.

PD: I mean that could be worse , i was expecting Rise sounds like Chloe from Life is Strange hahaha.

In Ashly Burch defense she made Rise sounds more mature less childish like Rise hitting puberty or adulthood (lol) , i mean i love Bailey's take in Rise , but the worst lines of Burch are when she tries to sound like Bailey , when she uses her regular "cute" voice really works in my book.

Works in a diferent way , like Fitzgerald's Chie or Arem's Naoto they are not like the previous actress but their voices really fits the character and give them something different.

IMO of course.

PD: I mean that could be worse , i was expecting Rise sounds like Chloe from Life is Strange hahaha.

I think Arem's Naoto was pretty dead-on in comparison to whatsherface.
Chie, tho... yeah. That was jarring, but both of them have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mediking

I wonder what kinda vacation will we go to in Persona 5? Beach again? And I really hope the Persona 3 outfit is in P5. I'm making the main guy switch to those clothes as soon as I unlock them.

Makio

I suppose i can ask this when the year already ends , but when you guys expect news for Persona 5 again , i mean i can see a Dancing All Night scenario getting their strong campaign started in February and getting a June release....

But how Atlus handled P5 until im not sure anymore. But i have the hope we get news sooner than later.

MSMrRound

when you guys expect news for Persona 5 again

But how Atlus handled P5 until im not sure anymore. But i have the hope we get news sooner than later.

Early in the year, hopefully, so that AtlusUSA will be given more leeway to start pumping out their PR information dump and what's not in the preparation leading up to E3 and beyond.

Mediking

I suppose i can ask this when the year already ends , but when you guys expect news for Persona 5 again , i mean i can see a Dancing All Night scenario getting their strong campaign started in February and getting a June release....

Where is your avatar from??!?! Please tell me!

daevious

I'm guessing around February, after SMTIV Final has released and their release schedule is free again. This is, of course, assuming they don't have some other game in the pipeline between now and Persona 5's release.

I think Ashly Burch does a fine job as Rise. It's different, but it works in my opinion.

I also just now noticed it's the same actress that voices Chloe from LiS. It's a small world.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I've played half a dozen songs so far & It's probably not a good sign that I'm having this much trouble on easy. Don't think I've ever played a pure rhythm game before, maybe I'll get more used to it with time.
All it takes is practice. I'd suggest dimming the background and upping the note speed, as it makes the note chart and timing easier to read.

silva1991

I have seen the light. I started playing Persona 4 Golden and I'm completely in love after just 3 hours into the game. I can't believe I never bothered to touch this series before until today despite hearing about it for so long.

You are in loved after just 3 hours? oh man you are just gonna love it even more later.

you are in for a glorious ride.

FluxWaveZ

I'm working on something, and I discovered info that English media overlooked about Persona 5 in May 2012, so I thought I'd post that tidbit here.

Meguro had an interview with Persona Music Live 2012 in Famitsu, and the details that we got about it were Meguro stating that if there was a Persona 5 and it was radically different from Persona 3 and Persona 4, the style of music would change as well.

What wasn't reported, however, was Meguro saying prior to that that, because he likes smooth R&B and soul music, he would like to work on more authentic "black music." An obvious hint about what was to become the genre inspiration for P5 in acid jazz.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'll definitely try that first bit, but upping the note speed seems like a bad idea!
Like Modest Mauser said, it's easier to follow the rhythm, as when the notes are moving slower
(and if you don't have much experience with rhythm games) the tendency is just to focus on the notes and wait until they fall into the hit area - can lead to missing what else is going on elsewhere on the screen (scratch notes, things coming on the opposite side). I'd definitely play around with it, and even at max speed the notes don't move too quickly.

PK Gaming

I'm working on something, and I discovered info that English media overlooked about Persona 5 in May 2012, so I thought I'd post that tidbit here.

Meguro had an interview with Persona Music Live 2012 in Famitsu, and the details that we got about it were Meguro stating that if there was a Persona 5 and it was radically different from Persona 3 and Persona 4, the style of music would change as well.

What wasn't reported, however, was Meguro saying prior to that that, because he likes smooth R&B and soul music, he would like to work on more authentic "black music." An obvious hint about what was to become the genre inspiration for P5 in acid jazz.

Oh, that's interesting. I've always been a fan of how varied Persona's musical direction was from game to game, and it's nice to see him seriously following up on that with acid jazz.

Can I get a link to that interview?

I'll definitely try that first bit, but upping the note speed seems like a bad idea!

It makes the notes more spaced out, so it's easier to read their timing. There's also an equip that straight up doubles their travel speed, and I can't imagine playing the game without it anymore. Normal gameplay is super slow.

ajim

I use the PSTV a shitload more than the actual vita. 14 hour flight to Japan and I didn't even use the vita. Played fallout 4 on a laptop for that
Ah dude, for me it's the opposite, I hate getting my laptop out for flights unless it's work related.

I'd much rather kick back with my vita or 3ds and bang out a bunch of hours!

Makio

Where is your avatar from??!?! Please tell me!

Nozomi Nakahara from Kanamin Kitchen (Persona 4 Dancing all Night character)
char_146109.jpg

Ah dude, for me it's the opposite, I hate getting my laptop out for flights unless it's work related.

I'd much rather kick back with my vita or 3ds and bang out a bunch of hours!
ive never liked playing games on handhelds for long periods of time, always uncomfortable after a while due to the positioning of the screen compared to your hands. I was going to pull out the vita and play Deception on the plane, but said fuck it and just grabbed the laptop and my DS4. Its definitely not amazingly comfortable, and a bit of a hassle with taking up the entire tray so you gotta put it away to get drinks or food, but still, at least when im actually playing im comfortable.

Mediking

Nozomi Nakahara from Kanamin Kitchen (Persona 4 Dancing all Night character)
char_146109.jpg

So Persona 4 Dancing All Night really does use Kanamin Kitchen... I have the P4 DAN OST on my phone and I love it. Haven't played the game yet. I will buy a Vita!

You are in loved after just 3 hours? oh man you are just gonna love it even more later.

you are in for a glorious ride.

I think I felt like that as well, the world and characters were immediately charming to me, which made P4G really easy and fun to get into.
I recently started with P3FES, which is giving me a slightly harder time getting into it. The story feels like it takes more of a back seat in the beginning, and so do the characters. I'm enjoying it, but it'll probably take a bit for me to love it.

Top Bottom