• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

daevious

ah my bluff

okay confession i barely remember it, which is why i know it can be better

boom! difficult topic avoided. who's up for pizza

Hermit's always been one of my favorite Social Links because it gives Persona 3 some much needed levity without going to Persona 4 levels of farcical hilarity. It also doesn't run into the issue where the MC is an enabler of bad habits like some of the original P3 Social Links fall into.

40-Persona3-7-093.jpg

41-Persona3-7-094.jpg

42-Persona3-7-095.jpg

I just watched PV 03 with subtitles for the first time.

...This game has stolen my heart.

Also got an OT title idea, how is it?
Persona 5 |OT| Steal my heart and hope to die

Mediking

Yeah, totally. Either go to TV Listings when you just turn the game on or do TV Overlay aka keep touching your Vita screen to activate it. But TV Overlay only appears at certain times.

You can rewatch cutscenes, music, and watch concert performances of Persona songs. And you can see old trailers of Persona games.

P4G is great.

DNAbro

I really like Kenji's social link actually. It's rough around the edges, but the fundamental idea is solid. Falling for someone who doesn't like you is something nearly everyone can relate to. Pursuing a crush only to have it blow up in your face is a heartbreaking experience, especially when become infatuated. Kenji basically puts himself in a position of vulnerability by barring his heart out for this girl, only for his plans to fail. The girl he likes isn't obligated to like him, but he can't help but feeling an intense resentment towards her anyway. I love that. I love how angry he feels because it comes across as natural and real. Kenji's social link in general does a good job of showcasing the emotional fallout of rejection, and helping him cope through that is one of the better experience in P3. All in all, I found Kenji's social link to be deeply compelling, intelligent yet flawed social link.

2014%2B-%2B1
2014%2B-%2B1

I just wanted to yell at him and say "DUDE STOP TRYING TO DATE THE TEACHER. THAT'S WEIRD. NOW GIVE ME SURT"

I just wanted to yell at him and say "DUDE STOP TRYING TO DATE THE TEACHER. THAT'S WEIRD. NOW GIVE ME SURT"

The best part of that S.Link is the fact that when he gets his heart broken, he starts crying and you get the option to laugh in his face.....

Unfortunately he takes it well......

Hermit's always been one of my favorite Social Links because it gives Persona 3 some much needed levity without going to Persona 4 levels of farcical hilarity. It also doesn't run into the issue where the MC is an enabler of bad habits like some of the original P3 Social Links fall into.

40-Persona3-7-093.jpg

41-Persona3-7-094.jpg

42-Persona3-7-095.jpg

I played Persona 3 when I was 12 or so, it was my first game in english and this SLink gave me a hard time.

PK Gaming

Sorry guys, I was basically taking the piss with my entire post

Kenji's social link isn't like that at all (though I wish it was) and it's actually really, really, really, really, really terrible

Sorry guys, I was basically taking the piss with my entire post

Kenji's social link isn't like that at all (though I wish it was) and it's actually really, really, really, really, really terrible

I honestly bought it, though that could just be because it's been a while since I played FES.

Zolo

At least Kenji's is consistent where as the fat dude Moon's social link encompasses his weight problems, being taken advantage of by a cult, and an inferiority complex to his dead brother who he gets compared negatively to with most of it going nowhere or not getting resolved.

He did treat me to food though, so he's okay by me.

Zolo

Huh? Does Persona 3 Portable have different social links and content than Persona 3 FES?????

Please explain because if Persona 3 Portable offers alotta new stuff then I will buy it right now!

The female route has different social links like ones with party members instead of other people as well as unique dialogue to account for the fact of being female.

Haven't actually played Portable yet though I figured I would once the next sale on PSN comes along.

Huh? Does Persona 3 Portable have different social links and content than Persona 3 FES?????

Please explain because if Persona 3 Portable offers alotta new stuff then I will buy it right now!

Zolo beat me to it, but yeah. P3P's female route has exclusive social links, music and story events. There's enough new stuff that makes it a worthwhile playthrough if you've already played FES.

FluxWaveZ

At least one other Persona game is going to be announced for sure this year, with the possibility of it being released, but I have trouble thinking what it could be.

I've been looking into all the recent statements about what could be going on at Atlus this year and considering all the events. I've also been looking at a few of the development cycle times; rough version of my notes:

1. Catherine: 2.5 years (mid-2008 - early 2011)
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV: 3.5 years (August 2009 - March 2013)
  3. Persona 4 Arena: 2 years (2010-2012)
  4. Persona 4 Golden: 2.5 years (early 2010 - mid-2012)
  5. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: 2 years (late 2012-2014)*
  6. Persona Q: 2 years (July 2012-June 2014)
  7. Persona 4: Dancing All Night: 2.5 years (early 2013 - mid-2015)*
  8. Shin Megami Tensei IV Final: 2.6 years (April 2013 - December 2015)
* semi-speculative

Hiraoka had talked about a game that started development in early-mid 2014 planned for 2017. Looking at all of the 2014 Atlus releases and going by a "dev. team moves from one project to the next" mindset, P4AU kinda stands out to me, but I also have a feeling that the project Kazuhisa Wada is currently working on and the 2017 game are different things.

There's the possibility of a P4AU home console iteration but, going by what Wada said, that'd be releasing after Persona 5. Kinda weird, but maybe the end of the P3 movies, the rebroadcast of P4GA, and the P4AU manga artist's tease are signs pointing to a related P4A anime.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
At least one other Persona game is going to be announced for sure this year, with the possibility of it being released, but I have trouble thinking what it could be.

I've been looking into all the recent statements about what could be going on at Atlus this year and considering all the events. I've also been looking at a few of the development cycle times; rough version of my notes:

1. Catherine: 2.5 years (mid-2008 - early 2011)
  2. Shin Megami Tensei IV: 3.5 years (August 2009 - March 2013)
  3. Persona 4 Arena: 2 years (2010-2012)
  4. Persona 4 Golden: 2.5 years (early 2010 - mid-2012)
  5. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: 2 years (late 2012-2014)*
  6. Persona Q: 2 years (July 2012-June 2014)
  7. Persona 4: Dancing All Night: 2.5 years (early 2013 - mid-2015)*
  8. Shin Megami Tensei IV Final: 2.6 years (April 2013 - December 2015)
* semi-speculative

Hiraoka had talked about a game that started development in early-mid 2014 planned for 2017. Looking at all of the 2014 Atlus releases and going by a "dev. team moves from one project to the next" mindset, P4AU kinda stands out to me, but I also have a feeling that the project Kazuhisa Wada is currently working on and the 2017 game are different things.

There's the possibility of a P4AU home console iteration but, going by what Wada said, that'd be releasing after Persona 5. Kinda weird, but maybe the end of the P3 movies, the rebroadcast of P4GA, and the P4AU manga artist's tease are signs pointing to a related P4A anime.

this gonna be a crazy year for sure, i can't wait for them start talking

If there's going to be a Persona spinoff, I can't see Q getting a sequel in the near future if Etrian V is going to be announced soon, although Etrian V might provide a god base to build a Q2 (or Strange Journey remake) on in the future.

I could see them doing another rhythm game in the future, especially with how much Atlus love to reuse assets, but since P4D just came out last year, I doubt that will be any time soon.

I guess yet another Persona 3 rerelease is possible, but that's the boring choice.

Seeing as it's the anniversary year, maybe something that incorporates the entire franchise and not just P3/4. (ahahahahaha)

Aside from Wada's fairly vague comment about this being a year that represents "Persona," any other reason to expect another new Persona game specifically?

FluxWaveZ

If there's going to be a Persona spinoff, I can't see Q getting a sequel in the near future if Etrian V is going to be announced soon, although Etrian V might provide a god base to build a Q2 (or Strange Journey remake) on in the future.

I agree that a Persona game realeased this year couldn't be a Persona Q2. It very well might happen in the future, especially given PQ's success, not this year with EOV. I fully expect EOV to see a 2016 release, and the game started being in active development in Winter 2014. That to me means after all of the EO side games and PQ, it's been all hands on deck for that team's next mainline release.

I could see them doing another rhythm game in the future, especially with how much Atlus love to reuse assets, but since P4D just came out last year, I doubt that will be any time soon.

P3D is also an eventual possibility—especially with Wada having stated they would consider it after seeing P4D's sales—but, yeah, not a game that would even be announced this year with P4D having just released last year.

For a game that would be announced (and, as always, excluding the Persona 4 the Pachinko mobile game that will be released in Q1/Q2 2016), these are the likely possibilities that come to mind:
  1. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax new version for home consoles
  2. Persona series compilation game
  3. Persona 3 remake
  4. Persona studio collaboration game
Aside from Wada's fairly vague comment about this being a year that represents "Persona," any other reason to expect another new Persona game specifically?

Well, there's Wada pretty much confirming that he's working on a new game in the same breath as he mentions that this year is Persona's 20th anniversary, in the recent interview. That and explicitly saying that this year will have a strong feeling of "Persona" starting with Persona 5 makes me fully expect another game announcement.

But other than that, there's also just the fact that this is Persona's 20th anniversary, and a new Persona game hasn't been announced since November 2013. With all of the Persona events going on this year and the fact that Persona 5 will be releasing in mid-2016—leaving the rest of the year to build up on the brand—I'm definitely anticipating something.

P4U2 making it to consoles is the day I stop playing P4U. Though if they did a P4U3 and fixed the terrible balance of U2, or made a true P4A3 id be all over it

We really need to fix the initialisms for the fighting games.

To clear it up:
P4U = Arena
P4U2 = Ultimax
P4A = The anime

It confuses me when people use P4U2 as meaning Ultimax version 2.0

The female route has different social links like ones with party members instead of other people as well as unique dialogue to account for the fact of being female.

And they're all way better than the male MC's equivalents.

Instead of Kenji, you get Junpei. Instead of sporty what's his face, you get Akihiko. Instead of Nozomu, you get Shinjiro. The female SLs are also all better because they're no longer about them arbitrarily falling in love with you for just standing there and nodding. I do mourn the loss of Maya, but Saori is pretty great as well.

The female route is just so much better across the board. Should you ever play P3P, don't even bother with the guy unless you really miss Mass Destruction.

Mediking

Anyone any guesses about when the next info blowout/marketing push will be?
April? Or are there any events before that?

I actually strongly suggest you don't watch anymore trailers and just wait for a potential announcement for a Collector's Edition. That's what I'm doing. I don't wanna see any more trailers. I do not wanna be spoiled.

Lusankya

I actually strongly suggest you don't watch anymore trailers and just wait for a potential announcement for a Collector's Edition. That's what I'm doing. I don't wanna see any more trailers. I do not wanna be spoiled.

What could be spoilers for you is just basic information for others. There is still a lot left to show that wouldn't spoil me.

I want to see more about:
- the Cooperation feature. What's new, what's the same regarding to Social links.
- Side characters, especially their official art work.
- The combat system.
- Persona acquisition/fusioning/enhancing.
- The dungeons and how the gameplay there changed.
- Other new mechanics.

MSMrRound

I'm in the "I'm okay as long as the info's part of AtlusJP's official P5 trailer" club...though I agree there are certain bits that could be interpreted as kinda spoilery...but I'm just hungry for more info....still yet to find out who exactly Yuuki Aoi will be lending her voice to in P5...

FluxWaveZ

The Vita's going to be gone eventually. I can't imagine Atlus wouldn't want to push one of their most beloved games onto a console people actually own.

P4G will never, ever be released for the PS4. This would be an avatar bet I could take with 100% confidence.

Edit: And talking about it like that makes it sound like P4G wasn't the second best selling entry in the entire series despite being on the Vita, which it is.

Weiss

Banned
P4G will never, ever be released for the PS4. This would be an avatar bet I could take with 100% confidence.

Edit: And talking about it like that makes it sound like P4G wasn't the second best selling entry in the entire series despite being on the Vita, which it is.

That's my point. People love Persona 4. Most people bought the Vita or the PSTV solely for P4G.

But eventually the Vita is going to be gone, and Atlus would miss out on the audience who didn't want to buy a crap handheld just for a small handful of good games.

This is why Gravity Rush, Tearaway and Danganronpa have made the jump. Nobody cares about the Vita.

FluxWaveZ

This is why Gravity Rush, Tearaway and Danganronpa have made the jump. Nobody cares about the Vita.

What Danganronpa game except for V3 is on the PS4? Do you mean the VR game?

And as far as I know, Tearaway didn't sell that great on the PS4 either.

Regardless, the fact that no one will care for the Vita anymore doesn't matter, with the game having released 4 years ago. There is absolutely no way that P4G ever releases on the PS4.

I feel confident that at the least, if Danganronpa doesn't get a port/collection to PS4, it will move to another platform (PC). They're not leaving it as a Vita exclusive for all time. I could imagine a PS4/PC port announced together.

FluxWaveZ

I feel confident that at the least, if Danganronpa doesn't get a port/collection to PS4, it will move to another platform (PC). They're not leaving it as a Vita exclusive for all time. I could imagine a PS4/PC port announced together.

At least Danganronpa 1 has practically already been confirmed to be released on Steam, and might be announced before NISA's conference next month or at it.

But Danganronpa isn't a Vita exclusive. DR1 and DR2 were released on the PSP.

Weiss

Banned

And as far as I know, Tearaway didn't sell that great on the PS4 either.

Regardless, the fact that no one will care for the Vita anymore doesn't matter, with the game having released 4 years ago. There is absolutely no way that P4G ever releases on the PS4.

And Shinij Mikami would rather cut his head off than let Resident Evil 4 come out on PS2.

Top Bottom