• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

Maybe not this year, but by 2017 or 2018? Totes.

...Why would they wait so long to port Persona 4 Golden to the PS4? There's a very real chance that Persona 6 is going to be in active development by that time frame, along with a bunch of Persona spin-offs.

If any year was to be the one, it would be this one.

Olengie

...Why would they wait so long to port Persona 4 Golden to the PS4? There's a very real chance that Persona 6 is going to be in active development by that time frame, along with a bunch of Persona spin-offs.

I agree

Or 2018, P4's 20th Anniversary.

Dantis

I'm inclined to agree that P4 won't be released on PS4 for the simple reason that Atlus have established a habit of only doing re-releases when there is a significant content upgrade for them.

P4 on PS2 emulation is definitely a possibility though.

Meia

I do wonder if Atlus would ever do the "HD" thing modern concerns have been known to do with any of their previous games. P4 people may not see much reason for it, but there would be a very good reason to give that treatment to a Persona 3. And if you establish the engine for it with Persona 5, it probably would be somewhat easier to do the older games in said format.

I do think we'll see Atlus games on the PC before we see some of the older stuff on the PS4 though, as they're basically the last holdout at this point.

Lunar15

What conclusion? Japanese games coming to steam? Where have you been?

I'd say the chance of PS4 is much much higher than steam at the moment.

Don't know if you haven't noticed, but Atlus Japan isn't too interested in Steam at the moment, for whatever reason.

I'd say the chance of PS4 is much much higher than steam at the moment.

Don't know if you haven't noticed, but Atlus Japan isn't too fond of Steam at the moment, for whatever reason.

We'll see.
Not losing my sleep over it either way, my Vita isn't going anywhere and both games work very well on PCSX2.

Remember that Atlus is but one Japanese game dev. They can go against trends easily.
How many of their games have come out on PC, anyway?

The same could be said about a lot of other Japanese studios until not too long ago.

Mediking

I'm INCREDIBLY tempted to buy Persona 3 Portable for Vita but I can't help but have this gut feeling that a complete edition of Persona 3 is coming to either PS4 or Vita. Hopefully both platforms with themes and avatars.

Ekai

And they're all way better than the male MC's equivalents.

Instead of Kenji, you get Junpei. Instead of sporty what's his face, you get Akihiko. Instead of Nozomu, you get Shinjiro. The female SLs are also all better because they're no longer about them arbitrarily falling in love with you for just standing there and nodding. I do mourn the loss of Maya, but Saori is pretty great as well.

The female route is just so much better across the board. Should you ever play P3P, don't even bother with the guy unless you really miss Mass Destruction.

The femc should just be the canon version of P3, honestly. She's miles above the male protag in terms of writing quality for me. Plus she actually has relationships (not just of the sexual kind) with all of the members of SEES. Massive spoilers on P3 and one s link of hers in particular:
Plus in her canon Shinji is still alive. albeit in a coma but hey.
. I honestly couldn't stand to play P3 til she existed. The male protag in it just came across as a massive asshole in all the media and video I ever saw of him. The little I played of P3P as the dude afterwards just confirmed that for me. Which I know could just be confirmation bias but I was really not digging the lack of emotional depth to his dialogue choices. He seemed like a very shallow character, especially in comparison to how well-done she is.

But that won't happen. Atlus rarely has a female lead in anything they do anyway. There's.
1. Maya from P2:EP (who is shaping up to be my favorite protag in any Atlus game ever by miles-with Tatusya from P2:IS and femc from p3p and potentially Flynn from SMT IV coming near her)
2. Femc in p3p
3. Technically Aigis in The Answer
4. Kei who had a selectable gender from SMT: Nine
5. Tamaki from SMT: If who like Kei was just selectable gender-but was made female in the Persona canon come P1/P2.
6. And Mirai from one version of one of the Devil Children games....and that's it.

So 6 female leads in all of Atlus's game history that I can think of. Femc, Kei, Mirai and Tamaki were all selectables in a sense. Mirai you had to buy her version of the game specifically. The others were all: "Pick male or female". Which really makes only Aigis and Maya set in stone. Tamaki eventually had a set gender but not in any game where she had a huge role.......and I don't know if you would really count The Answer as a full-fleged thing to say Aigis could count as well. Her time as a lead is infitely shorter than all of the others I listed. : / In a sense Maya is about the only canon lead female in the whole of Atlus history. At least in her own game with any considerable length to it.

cj_iwakura

The femc should just be the canon version of P3, honestly. She's miles above the male protag in terms of writing quality for me. Plus she actually has relationships (not just of the sexual kind) with all of the members of SEES. Massive spoilers on P3 and one s link of hers in particular:
Plus in her canon Shinji is still alive. albeit in a coma but hey.
. I honestly couldn't stand to play P3 til she existed. The male protag in it just came across as a massive asshole in all the media and video I ever saw of him. The little I played of P3P as the dude afterwards just confirmed that for me. Which I know could just be confirmation bias but I was really not digging the lack of emotional depth to his dialogue choices. He seemed like a very shallow character.

But that won't happen. Atlus rarely has a female lead in anything they do anyway. There's.
1. Maya from P2:EP (who is shaping up to be my favorite protag in any Atlus game ever by miles-with Tatusya from P2:IS and femc from p3p and potentially Flynn from SMT IV coming near her)
2. Femc in p3p
3. Technically Aigis in The Answer
4. Kei who had a selectable gender from SMT: Nine
5. Tamaki from SMT: If who like Kei was just selectable gender-but was made female in the Persona canon come P1/P2.
6. And Mirai from one version of one of the Devil Children games....and that's it.

So 6 female leads in all of Atlus's game history that I can think of. Femc, Kei, Mirai and Tamaki were all selectables in a sense. Mirai you had to buy her version of the game specifically.

That's not true, Devil Children had selectable protagonists.
I should know, I'm testing the fan translation. :p Red and Black Book were packaged as one game.

Lunar15

I think the whole team hit a stride with P3P. The new songs are amazingly good, the dialogue in the social links is improved from P3's and P4's, and I'd say even Soejima had some really really cool art for that release.

latest

(That is Soejima, right?)

Ekai

That's not true, Devil Children had selectable protagonists.
I should know, I'm testing the fan translation. :p Red and Black Book were packaged as one game.

Actually, it is true. Mirai was the protag of the Red Book version. The protag of Black is Setsuna, who is male. The Black and Red versions were originally shipped separately. If you look at the original versions on Game Boy Color, they were separate games. They were only later packaged as one game with a selectable protag in the Playstation remake. The point is, Atlus has a history of not doing female leads. You aren't really contradicting me here, just adding a detail that I didn't mention cause I was focused on the GBC versions. :p Eitherway, she's a selectable essentially. Her game as far as I know works differently from Setsuna's tho, to be fair. So I guess we could count her along with Maya and technically Aigis (?) as lead canon female characters in Atlus games. If her own game and story is different enough from Setsuna's from my understanding.

I think the whole team hit a stride with P3P. The new songs are amazingly good, the dialogue in the social links is improved from P3's and P4's, and I'd say even Soejima had some really really cool art for that release.

latest

(That is Soejima, right?)

He is credited as character designer and art director.

cj_iwakura

Actually, it is true. Mirai was the protag of the Red Book version. The protag of Black is Setsuna, who is male. The Black and Red versions were originally shipped separately. If you look at the original versions on Game Boy Color, they were separate games. They were only later packaged as one game with a selectable protag in the Playstation remake. The point is, Atlus has a history of not doing female leads. You aren't really contradicting me here, just adding a detail that I didn't mention cause I was focused on the GBC versions. :p Eitherway, she's a selectable essentially. Her game as far as I know works differently from Setsuna's tho, to be fair. So I guess we could count her along with Maya and technically Aigis (?) as lead canon female characters in Atlus games. If her own game and story is different enough from Setsuna's from my understanding.

Hers is pretty different, yes. Setsuna's out to save his brother.

Mediking

I think it would be cool if Persona 5 touched a bit on Igor's background and even made him a Social Link. That would be freaking awesome.

I think it would be cool if Persona 5 touched a bit on Igor's background and even made him a Social Link. That would be freaking awesome.

Speaking of which, I'm curious to know why Margaret isn't returning for P5. They can always avoid to mention it but if they explained Elizabeth's absence in P4, we might have something.

^ Margaret is just a P4 thing, I'm guessing. Only Liz has ever had more than one guest, and one of those was just because of budget restraints.
That being Aigis.

Wait, what?????

Philemon is sort of a relic of the P1/2 era by now so they probably won't be going into too much detail on Igor's character in the future, outside of him just kinda being there.

The moe moe Velvet Room attendants fill that purpose now. Speaking of which, Theodore is yet another reason as to why P3P's female route is the best thing to come out of this series.

Vfcf16J.jpg

>_>;

Semi-related, but remember how Vincent had a cameo in P3P long before we knew anything about Catherine and everyone was all about the wild speculation? That was fun.

TW4VNx5.png

FluxWaveZ

^ Margaret is just a P4 thing, I'm guessing. Only Liz has ever had more than one guest, and one of those was just because of budget restraints.
That being Aigis.

Margaret has had dozens of guests. She said so explicitly in one of the spin-offs or several, and that is meant to be the assumption in the first place regarding how the Velvet Room operates since the first game.

It's kind of odd, though, since the hosts are meant to reflect the guest. Either they're assigned based on a pre-set personality, or their actual appearance alters to fit the guest? Weird stuff.

Anyways, Margaret being the host again would be the same as Sho Minazuki being the Persona 5 protagonist. Let's let P5 breathe.

Lunar15

The twins look cool. Their personalities during the TGS countdown were pretty funny. The "calm/angry" twin trope feels like it's been done before, but I had fun with it at least.

Justine is actually an interesting Frankenstein reference to go with: She was wrongly framed for a murder the monster committed. I feel like "getting framed" is going to be key to how this whole thing kicks off.

Anyways, Margaret being the host again would be the same as Sho Minazuki being the Persona 5 protagonist. Let's let P5 breathe.

Yes, I don't want her to come back as host. To be clear, I would just like to know if they will bring some background for her absence or not, like they did with Elizabeth.

Ekai

Yes, I don't want her to come back as host. To be clear, I would just like to know if they will bring some background for her absence or not, like they did with Elizabeth.

Probably not. Atlus is pretty happy to let plot threads fall to the wayside quite often. (See: how they have pretty much buried P1/P2 and how Personas/The Velvet Room originally worked. Outside of alternate color costumes for characters in the Arena games Atlus doesn't care to really revisit any of those characters.) The whole ordeal with that and a lot of their other games just tells me that a best they will give a very brief nod to her. Explaining Elizabeth was an exception really, not the norm.

Acosta

I think I'm ready for the Persona 2 journey. After all these years adoring Persona 3 and 4, and with the pre-Persona 5 hype, I feel really motivated to check the roots of the series (I know they are completely different games, don't worry for that).

I have set an american account in my Vita and I'm ready to buy a 50$ card to buy both of them. Has anyone any tip before I do?

Ekai

I think I'm ready for the Persona 2 journey. After all these years adoring Persona 3 and 4, and with the pre-Persona 5 hype, I feel really motivated to check the roots of the series (I know they are completely different games, don't worry for that).

I have set an american account in my Vita and I'm ready to buy a 50$ card to buy both of them. Has anyone any tip before I do?

Just enjoy the best part of the Persona series! : p
I guess you could say I'm biased in that regard but the P2 duology has been the highlight of my Persona experience by miles. Best characters, story, gameplay, etc. etc. I started with P3P femc (which
I do quite love) then P4, then P2: IS. Starting up P2:EP. I own P1 on psp too and will be playing that eventually as some P1 characters cameo/have some role in the P2 story.

Also, don't worry about grinding Persona ranks. Just let the game happen really. If you wanna grind ranks tho, that's cool. Doing it and returning them is sometimes the only way to get very specific useful items(like an agility source let's say). I would also suggest exploring the intricacies of the contact system and the fusion spell system. There's lots of nuance in understanding enemy emotion types and how they react to specific answers/actions you take. Also in how fusion spells work too. Also as far as the rumor system goes, make sure to get all the possible versions of a rumor you can before spreading one. You can't change it once you spread it and sometimes you may spread something that will restrict you in some way. I won't go into more detail than that but really explore the rumor system and rumormongers before spreading a rumor.

Also talk to npcs/your allies between dungeons and major story beats in all of the shops/overworld in P2. It adds to their character more plus there's numerous npcs who have an overarching plot that will in part only make sense if you follow up talking with them all the time(including addressing an issue that I have never seen the recent Persona's touch at all). There aren't many side quests (outside of Rumor ones which are all easily found if you're talking to npcs, outside of one or two incredibly obtuse ones they are fairly easy to get) but the game still has an incredible amount of detail, heart and charm to it.

There's also a few things that add a lot to the plot (sorta) that are 100% missable. Either because you go to the wrong place and end up missing an entire dungeon or because you fail to get a specific set of items while traveling in a dungeon. So explore dungeons too. There's a few specific mid/later game dungeons that I'm referring to here.

Acosta

Just enjoy the best part of the Persona series! : p
I guess you could say I'm biased in that regard but the P2 duology has been the highlight of my Persona experience by miles. Best characters, story, gameplay, etc. etc. I started with P3P femc then P4, then P2: IS. Starting up P2:EP. I own P1 on psp too and will be playing that eventually as some P1 characters cameo/have some role in the P2 story.

Also, don't worry about grinding Persona ranks. Just let the game happen really. If you wanna grind ranks tho, that's cool. Doing it and returning them is sometimes the only way to get very specific useful items(like an agility source let's say). I would also suggest exploring the intricacies of the contact system and the fusion spell system. There's lots of nuance in understanding enemy emotion types and how they react to specific answers/actions you take. Also in how fusion spells work too. Also as far as the rumor system goes, make sure to get all the possible versions of a rumor you can before spreading one. You can't change it once you spread it and sometimes you may spread something that will restrict you in some way. I won't go into more detail than that but really explore the rumor system and rumormongers before spreading a rumor.

Also talk to npcs/your allies between dungeons and major story beats in all of the shops/overworld in P2. It adds to their character more plus there's numerous npcs who have an overarching plot that will in part only make sense if you follow up talking with them all the time. There aren't many side quests (outside of Rumor ones which are all easily found if you're talking to npcs outside of one incredibly obtuse one) but the game still has an incredible amount of detail, heart and charm to it.

There's also a few things that add a lot to the plot (sorta) that are 100% missable. Either because you go to the wrong place and end up missing an entire dungeon or because you fail to get a specific set of items while traveling in a dungeon. So explore dungeons too. There's a few specific mid/later game dungeons that I'm referring to here.

Awesome, thanks ;)

The missable stuff makes me sad... should I go for a FAQ? I tend to explore and talk with everyone but not sure if I will hit the right notes.

Ekai

Awesome, thanks ;)

The missable stuff makes me sad... should I go for a FAQ? I tend to explore and talk with everyone but not sure if I will hit the right notes.

The missable dungeons should be fairly straightforward in where they want you to go. I won't say specifics because it would give plot spoilers but I thought it was straightforward. That said, there is a great spoiler-free faq of the game on gamefaqs here. The guide makes sure to cover those specific important missable items and what dungeon to go to if the hint isn't working for ya. That also said the guide, while spoiler-free, covers and suggests very specific personas/paths (in a set of later dungeons, the order is important for...reasons). It also gives very specific answers on what is one option of many for making enemy demons happy/eager. So feel free to follow that at your leisure or not. I'd say do what you want for yourself. That said the guide does make some nice suggestions on specific personas to max rank(for the item you get when you return them)/get based on skills. But you're more than free to experiment! :) A lot of the fun in the game for me outside of the overall experience with the plot/characters was experimenting with the contact system, personas and other gameplay mechanics.

Also don't explore too far into the guide (like only really stick to the section you're in) or else you may spoil yourself on something later. While the guide is spoiler-free there is a specific thing that is hard to protect from spoilers because of the nature of what happens. To say more would be spoilers itself so. Yea, just stick to what spot in the game you are at and avoid reading more than that if you do want to use this guide. Well the section you are at and the Rumor sidequest tab if you wanted to do the rumor sidequests in the game.

Another thing too with the contact system, while each individual character can interact with enemies with their set actions, there's also group contacting as well. Group contacting actions will also change based on your story choices. So feel free to mess around with how the group actions go and how they influence enemies.

Acosta

The missable dungeons should be fairly straightforward in where they want you to go. I won't say specifics because it would give plot spoilers but I thought it was straightforward. That said, there is a great spoiler-free faq of the game on gamefaqs here. The guide makes sure to cover those specific important missable items and what dungeon to go to if the hint isn't working for ya. That also said the guide, while spoiler-free, covers and suggests very specific personas/paths (in a set of later dungeons, the order is important for...reasons). It also gives very specific answers on what is one option of many for making enemy demons happy. So feel free to follow that at your leisure or not. I'd say do what you want for yourself. That said the guide does make some nice suggestions on specific personas to max rank(for the item you get when you return them)/get based on skills. But you're more than free to experiment! :) A lot of the fun in the game for me outside of the overall experience with the plot/characters was experimenting with the contact system, personas and other gameplay mechanics.

Also don't explore too far into the guide (like only really stick to the section you're in) or else you may spoil yourself on something later. While the guide is spoiler-free there is a specific thing that is hard to protect from spoilers because of the nature of what happens. To say more would be spoilers itself so. Yea, just stick to what spot in the game you are at and avoid reading more than that if you do want to use this guide. Well the section you are at and the Rumor sidequest tab if you wanted to do the rumor sidequests in the game.

Another thing too with the contact system, while each individual character can interact with enemies with their set actions, there's also group contacting as well. Group contacting actions will also change based on your story choices. So feel free to mess around with how the group actions go and how they influence enemies.

Cant't thank you enough ;) thanks a lot for taking the time. Let's see how it goes!

Mediking

I love Liz. She was adorable. Margaret is the woman I shipped Yu Narukami with. Yep. In my view of Persona 4 Golden, Margaret is Yu's girlfriend. ;)

PK Gaming

Persona 2 starter pack

Top Bottom