• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Weiss

Banned
Been awhile since I stopped by here, but I figured this is the best place to ask. Have their been any hints at the new NA release date?

kOVTAp5.gif

I really wanna see this $hit in real time....

Zilch.

There's a new issue of the Persona magazine coming out this month, but chances are it's just going to be reiterating stuff we already know.

Cornbread78

Zilch.

There's a new issue of the Persona magazine coming out this month, but chances are it's just going to be reiterating stuff we already know.

Uggh, figured as much, since there is nothing online either. I'm guessing it's moving back to Holiday 2016 since it has an expected summer release in Japan? It's gonna suck with FF XV and P5 launching within weeks of one another, especially right before the holidays.... I'm gonna have to start stashing cash now...

Weiss

Banned
Uggh, figured as much, since there is nothing online either. I'm guessing it's moving back to Holiday 2016 since it has an expected summer release in Japan? It's gonna suck with FF XV and P5 launching within weeks of one another, especially right before the holidays.... I'm gonna have to start stashing cash now...

Embrace your messiah.

large.jpg

Lunar15

With Odin Sphere already out and SMTIVF out in just a few days, Atlus Japan has pretty much nothing to talk about. If only there was some other game coming out this year they could begin to hype up...

Oh yeah, time for EOV talk, right!?

daevious

With Odin Sphere already out and SMTIVF out in just a few days, Atlus Japan has pretty much nothing to talk about. If only there was some other game coming out this year they could begin to hype up...

Don't joke, Atlus would totally take that as a challenge and delay P5 again.

Not really, but it's fun to be unreasonably paranoid sometimes. :p

Embrace your messiah.

large.jpg

SMT4F posts make me want to get started on mainline SMT, though I'm not very hot on gameplay-focused stuff nowadays so I want to get Strange Journey (seemingly has the most interesting atmosphere/setting). Is that a good point to start? I have a 3DS (in terms of consoles with SMT), so the only viable option for me right now is SMT4 which I might get around to as well.

edit:

P3P goes on. LTTP worthy yet? Don't want to spam in here.

Loving Mitsuru's battle call-outs ("You'll fall by my hand!") and Fuuka's warnings.

So far, P4G cast is still better- however, the in-battle synergy is better in P3P. Somehow it's even more stylish than P4G, which is quite saying something seeing as P4G was stylish as all hell itself.

Don't forget Aegis Rim

(although I somehow doubt that will be 2016)

SMT4F posts make me want to get started on mainline SMT, though I'm not very hot on gameplay-focused stuff nowadays so I want to get Strange Journey (seemingly has the most interesting atmosphere/setting). Is that a good point to start? I have a 3DS (in terms of consoles with SMT), so the only viable option for me right now is SMT4 which I might get around to as well.

I'd personally recommend Digital Devil Saga which isn't quite mainline SMT but it's close sorta. It'd make a much less intimidating introduction than SMT4 would, anyway.

Ekai

Not to mention
unlike DDS1, neither of SMT4's final dungeons are tedious and horrible.

The first few hours of SMT4 can be pretty gruelling.

I felt the exact opposite. At least as far as Ludger's post goes. I find the beginning quite engaging and the combat relatively easy once you start to gain demons and get your first level or two. The only hard bit is really your first few fights which don't take that long at all. After that it's been mostly the right level of challenging. Plus the plot, world and characters are engaging enough to keep interest too. Plus it has the whole talking to enemies mechanic that I love in P2 and other past smt games.

As for Diehard's post
I have not progressed far enough to those dungeons but a very good friend of mine has told me the exact opposite about those dungeons. They find the ending to be a very long, tedious and horrible slog. I have not hit that point yet, am currently meeting Mr. Tayama for the first time. But they have made it very clear they hate the ending dungeons. Especially on Neutral since it drags the game out even more with more content to finish.

As for Diehard's post
I have not progressed far enough to those dungeons but a very good friend of mine has told me the exact opposite about those dungeons. They find the ending to be a very long, tedious and horrible slog. I have not hit that point yet, am currently meeting Mr. Tayama for the first time. But they have made it very clear they hate the ending dungeons. Especially on Neutral since it drags the game out even more with more content to finish.

Okay then...

as tedious and horrible.

Is SMT4 interesting story/lore wise? How is it compared to SJ in that regard? SMT4 would cost me a couple pennies less than SJ to try, and might be more accessible than Strange Journey for a beginner. If the story, lore, characters etc. is interesting enough (I know the focus is on gameplay) I might just splurge on that instead.

I can only play the DS or 3DS games BTW. AFAIK that means 4, SJ, DeSu 1&2 (and OC and RB), is there more?

Is SMT4 interesting story/lore wise? How is it compared to SJ in that regard? SMT4 would cost me a couple pennies less than SJ to try, and might be more accessible than Strange Journey for a beginner. If the story, lore, characters etc. is interesting enough (I know the focus is on gameplay) I might just splurge on that instead.

I can only play the DS or 3DS games BTW. AFAIK that means 4, SJ, DeSu 1&2 (and OC and RB), is there more?
no, Isabeau is cool though

PK Gaming

The game nails atmosphere, and the characters are decent. The main narrative spirals into whatever by the end but everything surrounding it is genuinely great. Obliviously not as inviting as Persona or Devil Survivor, but they're generally pretty likeable. Gameplay starts out tough but ends being really easy in the end.

I'd give it a shot.

I would say that SMT IV really shines in it's world building. If you take the time out to talk to NPC's and stuff, there's a lot of detail that has been put into the state of the world, and how people are reacting to it.

Strange Journey I would say has a slightly stronger main plot than IV, but aside from that it's a pure dungeon crawler, Etrian/Persona Q style, so it's not the most plot intensive game in the series.

Banzai

Finally have that P4G platinum, only two years after first playing it. Ready for P5. Or, you know, a Persona 3 remaster for Vita.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I really loved Strange Journey but it's tough - if that doesn't put you off it's as good a place as any to start.

Mediking

Yep, that what annoys me the most about P3P. I only get the appropriate immersion with the 3D environment in P3FES.

Edit: holy shit, third consecutive first post of the page.

Agreed. I actually have the most fun in Tartarus than ever before since its actually 3D environments.

KanameYuuki

Heeeyooo, I got the plat for P4G, Hardcore Rissette Fan was quite annoying but it wasn't impossible to get like some people mention, like going on their 4th run and still nothing, just get a checklist and be patient lol, thank God it was only 100 skill cards and not all of them.

Really enjoyed getting 100%, it is one of the few trophy list well done where it actually means you have done everything in the game.

And I hope I get to see Kaguya on P5, she is without a doubt my favorite persona, not only she has such a cool design, she is also a beastly magic user, second place goes to
Konohana-Sakuya/Amaterasu ( I hated the last form T~T) and 3rd Kikuri-Hime. P5 MC persona is looking hot too, so classy.

Olengie

I actually got Hardcore Risette Fan on my first Playthrough. I was very surprised.

I only made sure to remember event specific lines and let everything else run its course. Surprisingly, it took Yu dying to get it. lol. And I still needed to do a few of the characters when that happened.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I actually got Hardcore Risette Fan on my first Playthrough. I was very surprised.

I only made sure to remember event specific lines and let everything else run its course. Surprisingly, it took Yu dying to get it. lol. And I still needed to do a few of the characters when that happened.

I did as well.

I only need the book trophy for the platinum, because my dumbass took basketball the two times I went through it. Dunno if I will ever get it at this point.

I did as well.

I only need the book trophy for the platinum, because my dumbass took basketball the two times I went through it. Dunno if I will ever get it at this point.

I just gave up on most books on NG+. My real regret was not being able to get Yukiko to learn Mind Charge.

Olengie

Heeeyooo, I got the plat for P4G, Hardcore Rissette Fan was quite annoying but it wasn't impossible to get like some people mention, like going on their 4th run and still nothing, just get a checklist and be patient lol, thank God it was only 100 skill cards and not all of them.

Really enjoyed getting 100%, it is one of the few trophy list well done where it actually means you have done everything in the game.

And I hope I get to see Kaguya on P5, she is without a doubt my favorite persona, not only she has such a cool design, she is also a beastly magic user, second place goes to
Konohana-Sakuya/Amaterasu ( I hated the last form T~T) and 3rd Kikuri-Hime. P5 MC persona is looking hot too, so classy.

When P3 and P4 hit PS4 with trophy, I want to get them and see if I can 100% everything. I don't mind replaying P3 and P4 again. :D

Makio

Is great to see Ultimax active again, great matches today salt included.

PD: Margaret is too fun to use , if i get used to her maybe i got a new main char , or at least a sub.

Weiss

Banned
Biggest criticism I can come up with is that Walter's a dumbass.

"Where everyone can be equal? Is that true equality?"

He didn't mean it like that.

He meant that if everyone is judged by the same metric regardless of strengths and weaknesses, then that's not equal.The strong are held back and the weak are given unnecessary power.

Today is 1 year since PV1... damn.

Holy shit.

And I'm saying this as someone who watched it the first time just a few weeks ago.

Its instrumental track is PERFECT. Literally perfect. 10/10 track. Could listen to it for hours on end.

BTW something about P3P actually destroyed me

TANAKA HAS A FUCKING SOCIAL LINK

I'M DONE

I AM SO FUCKING DONE

I maxed out the Volleyball Arcana, how the fuck am I supposed to know how to craft Thor (its best Persona)? This game doesn't have a search function (I admit that it led me to mess with fusion a bit, though).

That said, some more impressions (itching to start an LTTP but I'll probably do that once I hit 30-40 hours) on P3P:

Just met Aigis. She seems to be a "goofy robot doing goofy robot things" character so far, which I hope changes because given how P3 apparently tackles some existential themes (which hasn't been addressed much so far), "robot with human feelings" could be amazing, it's one of my favorite tropes.

Ken seems to be maddeningly annoying from his only couple of lines so far.

The Shinjiro/mysterious trio arc is rather intriguing so far. Too bad its progression is so sparse.

The whole "screwed up experiment" is a bit anticlimactic for an explanation of the Dark Hour, coming from P4G. However, it's plausible.

Also holy shit Aigis, that neck.

Finally out of Arqa and into a new block, the purple had become boring looong ago.

Really liked how Mitsuru's dad isn't the classical "immoral, rich, evil daddy" type. He's a broken man.

Junpei's working a bit too well as a conflict creator, it's started to bore me. Being a sexist/perverted jock gets old, I'm not saying hit it off like the P4G cast did, but if there is going to be shaky interaction between characters then it'd be nice to change its nature for once. There were some bits where he said that he's pissed the Dark Hour will end since his only purpose is fighting, and him claiming that he'd been trying to lighten the mood with his pick-up lines despite it obviously making everybody uncomfortable, so bothering people why trying to have a good time, those are issues I can resonate with. It seems that he isn't completely genuine in his sexism about FeMC being the leader too, which is nice to see. He's a deeply flawed character... somehow, I feel close to him in that regard, heh.

Why what rank of a S. Link should I be wary about romance option appearing? Rank 9/10? Also regarding that "romance option that changes the story" or the one that's seen as cute and somewhat canon for the FeMC, when does that person appear?

Really inclined to make an LTTP, I think I'll do that with my next post.

Top Bottom