• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

People should bully the other Persona 3 Male MC S.link characters more often.

Nobody even talks about a good chunk of them I think.

Edit: Also Saki's brother.

Probably because no one remembers half of them.

I mean, who even is this dude:
xWD5eEF.png

Dantis

Personally, I thought P3 was interesting because Yukari and Junpei were pretty realistically portrayed teenagers, where the rest of the main cast was absurd archetypes. To me it was like the three of you were stepping into this mad world where a woman doesn't understand how to eat a beefburger.

I'm surprised anyone finds characters like Akihiko and Mitsuru more interesting than the P4 cast, who are miles more believable in my eyes.

I think he's called Mamoru and I believe you meet him during the sports S.Link or something like that.

Yep. Great S Link too.

Lunar15

Edit: Also Saki's brother.

Naoki Konishi was actually one of the more interesting ones to me. The problem is that he's easy to miss. I never ended up doing him until my second playthrough.

Meia

Was it that obvious? I remember my first thoughts didn't go much further than
oh JYB is in this doing his JYB voice.

This was the main thing that made me suspect them as well. Consider it
the Law & Order syndrome. "Hey, this episode has a guest star that's very well known/famous, going to guess they have a massive role in the episode. Oh, they're the villain."

I'm surprised anyone finds characters like Akihiko and Mitsuru more interesting than the P4 cast, who are miles more believable in my eyes.

Like a 15 year old detective that uses a gun? (joking) xD

Don't get me wrong, people are different. Believable can also be boring. That's not what makes a character good in my books but whether or not they resonate with me. For example, I like Mitsuru because she is usually calm, reasonable, smart and secure of herself (that's pretty believable) and I appreciate characters like that instead of the emotionally unstable ones. That's just my preference. If she also has the looks of a top model, is billionaire, fancy and president of everything it doesn't matter to me.

Aters

Personally, I thought P3 was interesting because Yukari and Junpei were pretty realistically portrayed teenagers, where the rest of the main cast was absurd archetypes. To me it was like the three of you were stepping into this mad world where a woman doesn't understand how to eat a beefburger.

Yep. Great S Link too.

What's wrong with Akihiko? And P3 has Fuuka, the most believable and sadly forgettable character of all cast in P3 and P4. Also, speaking of absurd, we need to talk about the man that came out of nowhere, namely Teddie. He's like the inferior Aigis who doubts about himself but people can't take him seriously. I love how his social link just develops along the main plot and the protagonist never needs to bother spending precious afterschool time with him.

Meia

The only thing I think of when I see that is how screwed over Franziska is in the series. Need her back dammit.

fuuka owns

You're good people. :)

Fuuka is someone that's just kind of there, in a criminally underused way. So much more could have been done with her, but she's just kind of introduced and becomes a tool for SEES to use, and that's it.

Aigis is robo anime cliche. Labrys was better.

I disagree, actually. It looks like a cliche at first sight but the reasons to why she is a
robot who yearns to be human
is explained in the game. It's not thrown in for the sake of attracting people who are into it, her story is there to serve as an important life lesson, as it was for me.

I disagree, actually. It looks like a cliche at first sight but the reasons to why she is a
robot who yearns to be human
is explained in the game. It's not thrown in for the sake of attracting people who are into it, her story is there to serve as an important life lesson, as it was for me.

It's not her
wanting to be human
, it's her hammered-in obsession with the MC,
and not just in a protective matter.

Aigis > Geth
You monster.

The geth shouldn't have had a Pinocchio story.

In all honesty, I agree in that. They were fascinating in how they didn't have to be the same as the other races to be part of the galactic community.

Then again, that was back in the game that didn't have a synthesis ending. -_-

The real competition is Aigis vs. EDI.

EDI wins. Those hips don't lie.

We have a winner!!

She had the better shutdown/death fakeout anyway. :p

As someone who has watched some All My Children in my time, I kinda have to like Marie by default. Broske is definitely the best P4 character though.

Ekai

To me P4s cast just feels way too one-note. It hurts their ability to be believable when there isn't much about them that changes. They just feel too Gary/Mary Stuish, in some ways. This lack of change oddly enough veers into just how archetypal they are. They're way more stereotypical than characters in any previous Persona game. Haven't touched P1 yet so I could be wrong there but so far they're still the most straightforward cast of the P series that I've seen. So, yea. I like Akihiko and Mitsuru more myself. : /

The P4 cast have good things going for them in some regards. I just have issues with a few of the characters in particular and the execution that was taken overall. I can see why people like them but for me it doesn't work.

Aigis is robo anime cliche. Labrys was better.

Aigis really was one of the weak points of P3 overall, at least for me. Comparing robos, Labrys is better than her. But Aigis, as much as I don't care for her, at least has an arc that develops over a good half of the game.

Haven't played or seen The Answer so perhaps she improves there.

Why does this sound like it's a harrowing confession lol

Some people think it's hard. Healers get a lot of flak for some reason.
The complaint tends to be either having too little personality or too much. (not saying those complaints are valid btw)

Yukari's the best character across both Persona 3 & 4, no contest.

The more time goes on, the more inclined I am to agree with you.

Setsu00

Anime or not, Aigis said and did some things that really stuck with me. (
"You don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of. "
)

Amazing character. (I prefer P4 and its cast overall but comparing her to Naoto? LMAO)

I have a feeling that you might be interested in PQ's plot based on that quote.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Not Persona related, but this thread has put me on to some good games in the past, and based on recommendations here/from a bunch of you over on gaming side I've just received delivery of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward.

My mind is ready to be blown.

I can vouch for that. The artstyle is likely just used for hardware reasons (and maybe also to make the horrific elements that more surprising).

eh, the chibi style is pretty fitting for the tone of a lot of the earlier dungeon events, as well as a lot of the strolls, I wouldn't say it's completely separate from the story.

Not that it doesn't get dark later on, but the story is very backloaded, and much of the game is fairly lighthearted.

Not Persona related, but this thread has put me on to some good games in the past, and based on recommendations here/from a bunch of you over on gaming side I've just received delivery of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward.

You are about to experience what is (for me) the best series in all of gaming.

If you are playing VLR on 3DS, look up the save bug so you know when and where to NOT save so you don't get hit by it.

Or just don't save in the escape rooms.

Bowlie

Banned

Enjoy it!

Hope you finish in time to get crazy with us when ZTD gets released.

Setsu00

I hate all I have seen of it. I don't think they'd have the same impact in a cutesy chibi setting

I actually had the same opinion when I started the game, but I was starving for a new Persona RPG so I was excited anyway. Once the actual plot hits (and admittedly that doesn't happen until later on), you get a well told story that introduces two fairly likeable characters and offers another perspective on some thematic elements from P3 and P4.

PQ also manages the incredible feat of giving Marie much more personality while reducing Teddie, Chie and Akihiko to shadows of their former selves.

Top Bottom