• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

A lot about the Uncovered: FFXV event was like one of the Atlus shows, except with higher production values. They're going nuts with the media products for the game just this year, too.

Worldwide release in Summer, anime, full-length movie, demo (from a sequence that doesn't occur in the actual game), mini-game released across several devices, etc. It does make me wonder about the road Persona 5's down.

Makio

Very unfortunate Laura wasnt available. But I cant blame her. She was recording for Gears of War 4, Uncharted 4, and whatever else.

I have to literally go back to Golden or Ultimax to listen to Bailey , because Burch almost made me forgot how Rise sounds before her.... an amazing feat consider i was Bailey biggest fan but i really dig Burch's Rise even i prefer her in some aspects.

I have to literally go back to Golden or Ultimax to listen to Bailey , because Burch almost made me forgot how Rise sounds before her.... an amazing feat consider i was Bailey biggest fan but i really dig Burch's Rise even i prefer her in some aspects.

There's also Q: The Good Spinoff
That Time Forgot

I dont have that one , pretty sure im going to play it before Persona 5 hits.

(My 3DS is busy with FE Fates and SMT IV right now).

Well, if you want there's the auto-revive on death difficulty, that'll help you breeze through it while enjoying the characters that aren't Akihiko or 50% of Chie.

daevious

Final Fantasy XV Releases 30 September 2016

Balls in your court Atlus

EDIT:
A lot about the Uncovered: FFXV event was like one of the Atlus shows, except with higher production values. They're going nuts with the media products for the game just this year, too.

Worldwide release in Summer, anime, full-length movie, demo (from a sequence that doesn't occur in the actual game), mini-game released across several devices, etc. It does make me wonder about the road Persona 5's down.

Trying to figure out where Persona 5's headed is a fools errand considering how tight-lipped Atlus has been about everything surrounding that game. The only thing I'd really want them to expand upon is getting Persona 5 translated into either French or Italian, because the influences derived from Lupin III guarantees them sales and a shot at establishing a European market.

FluxWaveZ

Trying to figure out where Persona 5's headed is a fools errand considering how tight-lipped Atlus has been about everything surrounding that game. The only thing I'd really want them to expand upon is getting Persona 5 translated into either French or Italian, because the influences derived from Lupin III guarantees them sales and a shot at establishing a European market.

Nah, I'm not talking about predicting what they're doing with Persona 5 because, as I've liked to say before:
Again, like I keep saying, trying to predict anything about Persona 5 is a pointless endeavor after all this time.
I specifically mean whether whatever Atlus is doing with Persona 5 is going to pay off properly for them, especially now in the wake of the other highly anticipated console JRPG that is FFXV having this huge media push.

Lunar15

Eh, I'm just barely disappointed that P5 couldn't come out last year. Last year it would have been far more of an event, the year was pretty light in terms of major events. At least within the gaming community. Now it has a lot of noise to compete with: FFXV, new consoles, Zelda, etc.

But whatever, I don't really care about that kind of stuff all that much. Who knows, I might not even like the game!

daevious

I specifically mean whether whatever Atlus is doing with Persona 5 is going to pay off properly for them, especially now in the wake of the other highly anticipated console JRPG that is FFXV having this huge media push.

Atlus' plan seems to be "Make a good product and people will come" which has worked fine enough in the past.

I know that there's concern over Final Fantasy XV eating up Persona 5 sales, but we do need to remember that Final Fantasy will always be bigger than Persona, even though Persona's done an excellent job at making itself distinguishable from the JRPG crowd.

From my perspective, as long as Atlus can keep doing what their doing I'm happy with things the way they are.

P5 just really, really needs an actual release date. Provided they don't do something stupid and make it October first or whatever I'm fine with whatever they choose. But this silence is not really helping. FF is in another league beyond Persona entirely when it comes to mainstream popularity, Atlus doesn't need a whataboutus attitude towards it. But they do need to do something, as it is getting just a little absurd.

Makio

That September 30th puts the American version of Persona 5 in a curious position , i would say they need to stay away from that date as possible.

I would say November , but that month is always packed.
And not see it coming before September , unless they go for the Worldwide release.

A good way for P5 Japan is going for July - August (and not get hurt for FFXV coming way later).

Next month is going to be interesting , see if Atlus can move something / somehow now.

Olengie

I still would've loved to see a P4DAN Laura ver. I enjoy her voice. LOL.

Should just release P5 before September 30th.

Is that the non prize fig?
yea tahts the non prize. I have the prize
SXpW7ve.jpg

bPVshah.jpg

84X

Banned
Haven't posted in a while so going to knock a few topics out. Nothing following has anything to do with P5 so you know, skip this post if that's all you care about.

P4 Manga
Recently Udon Entertainment released the first two volumes of the P4 manga. I'm sure a lot of people have simply read the fantranslations on the internet so I'm not going to go too in-depth with discussing the manga itself. Sogabe's artwork is very visually appealing and he captures the feel of the game pretty well. You can look up images of later volumes to see that he only gets better at recreating the feel of P4 so that's something to look forward to. The actual plot of the manga in the first two volumes is more or less what you'd expect from playing the game up to the first time Nanako calls you 'big bro'. There are some things the manga probably executes better due to the nature of the medium while there are others that kinda fall flat... a simple consequence of the differing mediums. The manga really shines during emotional scenes and exploring the day-to-day life of the Investigation Team but inside the TV world battles lose some of their lustre due to not being able to reproduce the same level of energy that is created in the game. Much like the anime I hate how the characters are one again represented without the use of their weapons. However, Sogabe is a terrific artist and is still able to provide some great eye-candy such as one of the most amazing things you'll ever see:

I feel that's all I really want to say about the manga itself so I'm going to move on to talking about the translation. To be blunt, as much as I think Udon does a good job with their products I'm not too happy with how they're handling the manga thus far. The next few sentences may be extreme nitpicking as a huge fan of P4 but I feel they're rather valid points. The main thing is that the manga translation disregards a lot of the game's localization. This can be pretty jarring to long time P4 fans when Chie laments about her broken "Fists of Fire" DVD or when Nanako sings along to the Junes jingle: "A Youthful Life Everday! Junes!" Again, many people might not think twice about this but if you've played P4 for even just 30 minutes you'd probably wonder why they didn't just stick to the game. I imagine that most, if not all, people interested in picking up the manga will be coming in with at least a basic knowledge of P4 so I really don't get this inconsistency... and this leads into my next complaint: the manga drops honourifics. Those familiar with the dub of the P4 anime aren't strangers to having the honourifics dropped but I feel the manga translation drops them far more carelessly. The one that rubs me the wrong way the most is how Chie always refers to Yosuke as 'Hanamura' (thus far). I fully understand that this is a thing in Japan but if you're dropping honourifics it's most likely to make the dialogue more natural/accessible to the audience so it stands out to me. I also simply feel it undermines their relationship in general by bringing in a formality you wouldn't expect in English. For the record the anime dub has Chie and Yosuke on the first name basis people familiar with the game would expect but the anime is more in-tune with the game's localization in general. I guess the last thing I want to point out is a good amount of simple errors littered throughout. In one panel Chie says "you mean the woman who was married to that guy who died recently..." which should have been an obvious catch and on the back cover of Volume 2, Inaba is misspelled as 'Inabi'. These are rather insignificant things to discuss but I'd like to see a bit more care put into the following volumes.

P4D Figure
It's a really nice fig. Happy to add it to my collection of Persona merch.

Nice. I got mine yesterday and I'm really happy with it as well. Here it is next to Wave's Rise figure:
The details on the glove and outfit in general are really nice as you'd expect from a figure of this price. I don't really have anything else to say about it though.

Art
Not sure if anyone really remembers but I used to post some art here. I also provide the drawings for a joint effort with PK_Gaming to create (super infrequent) persona web comics. Anyways, I'm constantly working to improve and haven't shared any of my progress here in a while so going to take a moment to do so.

My most recent artwork is something a bit more ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) than I usually do so maybe I'll play it safe and link the one I did before it:

I'd appreciate it if you checked out my other stuff and constructive criticism is of course always valued. So if you're interested please pick your poison: Tumblr: http://84xl.tumblr.com/ Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/x84 Twitter: https://twitter.com/EightyFourX

~
TL;DR: What's Persona 5?

yuuki

Isn't SEGA Europe's localisation team completely dissolved?

dont think so, atleast they still seem to look for people for localisation qa:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs/sega-europe

German Localisation QA Tester
London, South East, England, UK & Europe
Czech Localisation QA Tester
Dutch Localisation QA Tester
French Localisation QA Tester

Jintor

I'd appreciate it if you checked out my other stuff and constructive criticism is of course always valued. So if you're interested please pick your poison: Tumblr: http://84xl.tumblr.com/ Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/x84 Twitter: https://twitter.com/EightyFourX

probably two things strike me instantly about your new rise pic; her anatomy is proportionally out of whack. Her chest seems about right but her abdomen is far too long especially since by the lines of her pelvis bones her crotch/upper thighs begin further down than the picture ends.

Also, not to betray any thoughts about Rise's measurements or whatever, but the size of her breasts are actually out of proportion to one another (seems like you didn't account for the perspective; in your pic they're around the same size, but the one closer to the viewer should be a little larger and angled differently just because it's closer).

Her arms are also a bit too thin and - linking to the proportion thing - too short. The easiest way to think of this visually is if Rise were to relax her arms to do a plank or just let them drop by her sides, her palms should be about halfway down her upper thigh. If I imagine that out for this image, because of the length of her abdomen, her hand ends up on her hips.

Her hairstyle also looks weird but I can't quite figure out why. You've got the Soejima thing down though.

84X

Banned
Probably the most criticism I've ever gotten so gonna try to actually discuss this.

probably two things strike me instantly about your new rise pic; her anatomy is proportionally out of whack. Her chest seems about right but her abdomen is far too long especially since by the lines of her pelvis bones her crotch/upper thighs begin further down than the picture ends.

Also, not to betray any thoughts about Rise's measurements or whatever, but the size of her breasts are actually out of proportion to one another (seems like you didn't account for the perspective; in your pic they're around the same size, but the one closer to the viewer should be a little larger and angled differently just because it's closer).

Her arms are also a bit too thin and - linking to the proportion thing - too short. The easiest way to think of this visually is if Rise were to relax her arms to do a plank or just let them drop by her sides, her palms should be about halfway down her upper thigh. If I imagine that out for this image, because of the length of her abdomen, her hand ends up on her hips.

Her hairstyle also looks weird but I can't quite figure out why. You've got the Soejima thing down though.

You're right about her abdomen being too long. If I planned out her lower portion better I'd probably would have caught it but as it is I wasn't able to see it. I agree with your comments on the breast area as well and there's other things that could be critiqued about that area of the drawing too; I'll keep working on that.

Moving on, while I don't disagree with the arms also being wonky I feel, looking at it now, that the problems associated with them would mostly be accounted for by fixing the size of the abdomen. Hopefully that doesn't sound dismissive of the problem though.

Can't really get much insight from your last comment regarding her hair though to be honest. I'll accept it under the pretense that if it looks weird it probably is but if you figure out what exactly looks off about it then that'd be more helpful.

Anyways, as I said that's the most criticism I've gotten ever so thanks for putting the time in, I really appreciate it.

Jintor

If I had to guess I'd say the problem is the way the shapes of her head/hair is set out the eye is pulled in the wrong direction; it's too bottom heavy or maybe too vertically wide?

Characters are recognisable in part because of silhouette, so when you change their hairstyle or something you need to do things to ensure they still fit the general vibe of the normal char model. Like one of the things about Rise is she always has a mass of hair behind her actual skull in some way or the other so if you change that it takes a hot second to realise who the character actually is.

84X

Banned
If I had to guess I'd say the problem is the way the shapes of her head/hair is set out the eye is pulled in the wrong direction; it's too bottom heavy or maybe too vertically wide?

Characters are recognisable in part because of silhouette, so when you change their hairstyle or something you need to do things to ensure they still fit the general vibe of the normal char model. Like one of the things about Rise is she always has a mass of hair behind her actual skull in some way or the other so if you change that it takes a hot second to realise who the character actually is.

How would you suggest making a ponytail evoke the same feeling of mass produced by her high placed twintails? I can't really imagine a way to do this myself. While you're not wrong in regards to characters being recognized by silhouettes I don't really agree that it is something you need to always be concerned with. I dunno, people can have different hairstyles so I feel thinking of this as an actual problem is more limiting than anything.

Sophia

Yeah Index was really blatant about it. I'm reminded any time I start my copy of SMT IV. :p

SEGA on the other hand, let them reuse the Atlus name and everything.

Jintor

How would you suggest making a ponytail evoke the same feeling of mass produced by her high placed twintails? I can't really imagine a way to do this myself. While you're not wrong in regards to characters being recognized by silhouettes I don't really agree that it is something you need to always be concerned with. I dunno, people can have different hairstyles so I feel thinking of this as an actual problem is more limiting than anything.

i don't have any good suggestions for you. Rise's hair is a nightmare for me lol

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Nothing seems to have happened today. What's the next date we're going to pointlessly pin our hopes to for some kind of P5 news?

Summer 2016.

Probably be something before the next Stalker Club, since they've run out of revealed characters now. Although annoyingly Nico's been down since the last episode came out.

Actually, they could still do an episode with Caroline/Justine's VO's.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Was something supposed to happen today?

I don't think we'll hear anything else until June, personally. Late May if we're lucky.
People had mentioned that they might say something as it's the start of the 2016/17 financial year - nothing beyond that.

Levito

Banned
Does anyone have that gif of Mitsuru from Arena where someone changed the caption to say "Bitch I'm fabulous"?

Y'ALL KNOW THE ONE

Top Bottom