• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Dantis

So I was thinking, in regards to P5, one thing I think will be difficult for them is getting the fanbase to take to the characters in the same way that they have for the Persona 4 cast.
It's too early to make a judgement call, obviously, as out knowledge of the characters so far is beyond limited, but the idea of it and how they can/will accomplish it really interests me.

On a personal level, I feel like from an immediate aesthetic perspective, the characters that we've seen so far are definitely less appealing. People have really taken to the protagonist, and I think that will maintain, but I've seen much less interest in Ann and (even moreso) Ryuji. In my opinion, Chie and Yukiko were probably the easiest characters to take to in Persona 4, and I feel like the characters from Persona 5 lack something that they had.

On the other hand, obviously, a large part of it is down to the characters themselves, not just how they look. One of the reasons I think all of the P4 cast is so beloved is that (contrary to some people) the characters don't fall into obvious stereotypes. There's no obvious geek, or the attractive female character, or the group outsider, and maybe that's where P5 will succeed.

What does everyone else think?

Squire

Banned
Eh, this game has the benefit of releasing in the age of social media saturation (I was going to say "tumblr generation", but I think that's a little mean).

People will eat up the main cast once the game is out and probably before given genuine promotion is probably starting now.

Dantis

Eh, this game has the benefit of releasing in the age of social media saturation (I was going to say "tumblr generation", but I think that's a little mean).

People will eat up the main cast once the game is out and probably before given genuine promotion is probably starting now.

Honestly, I don't think it's so easy. Catherine had a terrific cast, but people didn't take to them in anywhere near the same way. And what about all the spinoff characters? Realistically, nobody gives a hoot about them.

Even with fandoms being what they are, I think a character needs more than just a presence in a good game to get a strong fanbase.

Mediking

So I was thinking, in regards to P5, one thing I think will be difficult for them is getting the fanbase to take to the characters in the same way that they have for the Persona 4 cast.
It's too early to make a judgement call, obviously, as out knowledge of the characters so far is beyond limited, but the idea of it and how they can/will accomplish it really interests me.

On a personal level, I feel like from an immediate aesthetic perspective, the characters that we've seen so far are definitely less appealing. People have really taken to the protagonist, and I think that will maintain, but I've seen much less interest in Ann and (even moreso) Ryuji. In my opinion, Chie and Yukiko were probably the easiest characters to take to in Persona 4, and I feel like the characters from Persona 5 lack something that they had.

On the other hand, obviously, a large part of it is down to the characters themselves, not just how they look. One of the reasons I think all of the P4 cast is so beloved is that (contrary to some people) the characters don't fall into obvious stereotypes. There's no obvious geek, or the attractive female character, or the group outsider, and maybe that's where P5 will succeed.

Ryuji is prolly gonna be a mix of Junpei and Akhiko combined.

I don't know how Ann will turn out but I'm ready to find out.

The new guy aka the guy in the white shirt might be the "brains" of the group. I don't know.

I'm really looking forward to meeting the main cast and just seeing how far Atlus will go for them.

When I first saw P4's cast they didn't seem nearly as interesting to me as P3's, but before I knew it they had won me over. I'm sure the same will happen this time.

I have expectations that they will probably deliver. In terms of character design, nether usually play it down and none of the previous characters really stood out visually. I think they're setting up tropes but I got a feeling they're not going to stick by those tropes. I'm thinking we might be ok because junpei and josuke were the first male member you got and they were considerably different as was yukari and chie.

Squire

Banned
Honestly, I don't think it's so easy. Catherine had a terrific cast, but people didn't take to them in anywhere near the same way. And what about all the spinoff characters? Realistically, nobody gives a hoot about them.

Even with fandoms being what they are, I think a character needs more than just a presence in a good game to get a strong fanbase.

Sure. I mean, right after I posted I was thinking part of the reason P4s cast took off the way they did is because they're all ordinary characters that find themselves in extraordinary situations. And of course by ordinary I mean in terms of the real world and not your typical video game, anime, or fantasy novel. I imagine P5's cast is going to carry that on themselves, given what we do know about the premise.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

In general, I think it comes down to relatability. I think the P-Studio managed to turn some small town Japanese high school experience into something a lot of people could juxtapose into their own HS experience. Lord knows for as much as I hate Yosuke,the "hopelessly in love with an older classmate who doesn't give you the time of day" theme that started off his plot was painfully familiar. And to your point about Catherine 's cast, I think that it might have been more difficult to relate to. (Though I played through Catherine basically a few weeks before I got married sooooo banner timing there).

And that's where we're at with the p5 cast. No one (I hope) can relate to being a master thief, so its kinda hard to tell where it's going.

In general, I think it comes down to relatability. I think the P-Studio managed to turn some small town Japanese high school experience into something a lot of people could juxtapose into their own HS experience. Lord knows for as much as I hate Yosuke,the "hopelessly in love with an older classmate who doesn't give you the time of day" theme that started off his plot was painfully familiar. And to your point about Catherine 's cast, I think that it might have been more difficult to relate to. (Though I played through Catherine basically a few weeks before I got married sooooo banner timing there).

And that's where we're at with the p5 cast. No one (I hope) can relate to being a master thief, so its kinda hard to tell where it's going.
depends though. As someone who did some fucked up shit as a teenager I'm thinking that this cast might have a lot of relatibility. However I also find relatibility nearly irrelevant. I dont need to be able to relate to a character to enjoy their arcs

Mediking

Sure. I mean, right after I posted I was thinking part of the reason P4s cast took off the way they did is because they're all ordinary characters that find themselves in extraordinary situations. And of course by ordinary I mean in terms of the real world and not your typical video game, anime, or fantasy novel. I imagine P5's cast is going to carry that on themselves, given what we do know about the premise.

P4's cast was ordinary? I disagree.

Yukiko runs an inn.

Yosuke runs a department store.

Chie loves karate movies (I have yet to find one person during my school life whose obsessed with karate or eating meat).

Naoto .... enough said.

Kanji.... enough said.

Now Persona 3's cast is actually really normal. You can find guys like Shinjiro in a school who don't care and drop out. You can find girls like Misuru and Yukari at schools. There's guys like Junpei in almost every school. You can find guys like Akihiko in school who has girls chasing them for excelling in a sport but doesn't really care.

DNAbro

Yosuke doesn't run it, his dad does.

It's hard to guess how likable/relatable the characters in P5 are going to be, but my initial impressions are positive.

Squire

Banned
I saw this TEDTalk (I know, I know) this week from earlier this month. It's G. Willow Wilson, the current writer of Ms. Marvel, talking about the conception of that character and also making the observation that a lot of stories written for/connecting with the current generation are about breaking up/rejecting current social/political structures at play. She mentions Hunger Games and some other stories this applies to. I'm catching up on Game of Thrones myself and noticing shades of it there as well. It's worth watching if you have any sort of interest in storytelling/thematic elements.

https://youtu.be/piWo4200G0U

Now I mention this because I think it's quite possible she and P-Studio are on the same wavelength, given P5 is supposed to be about "freeing yourself from the shackles of society" or what have you. Teenage rebellion is obviously nothing new by any stretch, but what Wilson is talking about here is not young people making the observation that "the system is broken", so much as it's "the system works as designed and it's bullshit". It'll be interesting to see which one P5 aligns with.

P4 has characters with more grounded and mundane issues, while P3 is full of orphans and kids caught up in major conspiracies.
And then there's Fuuka.
P3's cast is definitely more typically JRPG than P4's, which is full of slice of life anime archetypes. I don't really relate to any of them, but I can tell that was more of a focus in 4 than in 3.

Also, Yosuke and Yukiko don't run their respective family businesses. Yukiko is in some sort of management position, sure, but Yosuke isn't especially high on the corporate ladder. His dad is also just the manager of this one not particularly big branch of a nationwide store chain. Nothing too unbelievable there.

Dantis

I'm hoping that master thief thing is pared down in the outside world. If the stakes are always "SAVE THE WORLD! BEAT THE BAD GUYS!" then I think it'll be hard to relate to the characters.
Right from the reveal, that's been my concern with the protagonist. He seems so heightened and silly that I feel like it will be difficult for me not to want to punch his smug face.

I think one thing that will make a difference is the cast size. A lot of people have said that they think there might only be six party members (and therefore only one more reveal), which I think would be a mistake. P4's eight characters is a good number because it meant that there was a lot of variety without anyone getting left out. If you have six characters, and one is a deformed cat, suddenly your options for favourite are lessened.

Yukiko runs an inn.

Chie loves karate movies (I have yet to find one person during my school life whose obsessed with karate or eating meat).

Naoto .... enough said.

Kanji.... enough said.

Now Persona 3's cast is actually really normal. You can find guys like Shinjiro in a school who don't care and drop out. You can find girls like Misuru and Yukari at schools. There's guys like Junpei in almost every school. You can find guys like Akihiko in school who has girls chasing them for excelling in a sport but doesn't really care.
This is completely wrong. Yukiko's family runs the inn. Yosuke's dad runs the department store. And even outside of that, those are set-dressings to the characters, not core aspects of their personalities. Outside of Yukari and Junpei, Persona 3's cast was mental.

depends though. As someone who did some fucked up shit as a teenager I'm thinking that this cast might have a lot of relatibility. However I also find relatibility nearly irrelevant. I dont need to be able to relate to a character to enjoy their arcs

You don't necessarily have to relate to them (though it helps), but I definitely think you have to empathize with them.

Sophia

I saw this TEDTalk (I know, I know) this week from earlier this month. It's G. Willow Wilson, the current writer of Ms. Marvel, talking about the conception of that character and also making the observation that a lot of stories written for/connecting with the current generation are about breaking up/rejecting current social/political structures at play. She mentions Hunger Games and some other stories this applies to. I'm catching up on Game of Thrones myself and noticing shades of it there as well. It's worth watching if you have any sort of interest in storytelling/thematic elements.

https://youtu.be/piWo4200G0U

Now I mention this because I think it's quite possible she and P-Studio are on the same wavelength, given P5 is supposed to be about "freeing yourself from the shackles of society" or what have you. Teenage rebellion is obviously nothing new by any stretch, but what Wilson is talking about here is not young people making the observation that "the system is broken", so much as it's "the system works as designed and it's bullshit". It'll be interesting to see which one P5 aligns with.

I haven't watched the video yet, but my own personal observation is that P5 kind of mirrors current trends in Japanese society. The decline of birth rates and the younger generation, the disillusionment many of them seem to have towards the modern Japanese working society and Japanese politics, and the rejection of such of a society resulting in the hikikomori phenomenon. It's reflected in the opening lyrics too. I.E. "Why does nobody want change?" "It's useless. What could it mean that we're here? Can we make a difference if we don't break out of here?"

P4 has characters with more grounded and mundane issues, while P3 is full of orphans and kids caught up in major conspiracies.
And then there's Fuuka.
P3's cast is definitely more typically JRPG than P4's, which is full of slice of life anime archetypes. I don't really relate to any of them, but I can tell that was more of a focus in 4 than in 3.

Also, Yosuke and Yukiko don't run their respective family businesses. Yukiko is in some sort of management position, sure, but Yosuke isn't especially high on the corporate ladder. His dad is also just the manager of this one not particularly big branch of a nationwide store chain. Nothing too unbelievable there.

As someone who's family ran their local business for almost my entire life, Yukiko doesn't seem particularly unusual to me. Of course, my family wasn't running an inn but a retail store so... >_>;

Setsu00

Yukiko runs an inn.

Naoto .... enough said.

Kanji.... enough said.

Yukiko doesn't run an inn, she's training to become the inn's owner one day. Yosuke's is a simple part time jobber who works at Junes, he doesn't actually run the store. Kanji's struggle with sexuality and gender identity is probably rather ordinary for at least most LGBT people. Chie is troubled by her (lack of) feminity. Naoto is the only one who I would classify as special.

Squire

Banned
I haven't watched the video yet, but my own personal observation is that P5 kind of mirrors current trends in Japanese society. The decline of birth rates and the younger generation, the disillusionment many of them seem to have towards the modern Japanese working society and Japanese politics, and the rejection of such of a society resulting in the hikikomori phenomenon. It's reflected in the opening lyrics too. I.E. "Why does nobody want change?" "It's useless. What could it mean that we're here? Can we make a difference if we don't break out of here?"

You got the point though! Teenagers, dissatisfied with the current stat quo, noticing that the adults around them can come to no compromise or solution, are taking matters into their own hands.

Yes, I think P5 is going to fit.

Zolo

Kanji's struggle with his feminine hobbies.

Party member-wise, I expect we'll get one more character after the character briefly seen in PV#3.
The pyramid dungeon seems to take place in August, so I expect one more in September or October.
As for how they take off, it'll depend on their personalities more than anything I think. Design-wise, I think they work out fine. Yusuke will absolutely take off on Tumblr with plenty of yaoi pairings, and the other characters will get drawn plenty with exaggerations/variations of their personalities depending on how they are in the game.

Sophia

You got the point though! Teenagers, dissatisfied with the current stat quo, noticing that the adults around them can come to no compromise or solution, are taking matters into their own hands.

Yes, I think P5 is going to fit.

I'm very curious to see where they go with it. Atlus typically has not shyed away from taboo subjects in their games, and the way Hashino describes the game's plot sounds like they're gonna tackle some serious matter.

I also think the Protagonist is in a bit of a different spot this time around. It's like they realized the transformation that Narukami took from P4's release to now, and decided to run with it. With him being less an avatar of the player this time around, and more like someone who pushes the story forward. A force of nature, if you will.

Squire

Banned
I expect these guys to live to the early descriptions of them being brats/delinquents pretty well. I'm sure Cooperation ties into that.

Like, I don't expect any of them to be completely likable from the start.

I'm very curious to see where they go with it. Atlus typically has not shyed away from taboo subjects in their games, and the way Hashino describes the game's plot sounds like they're gonna tackle some serious matter.

I also think the Protagonist is in a bit of a different spot this time around. It's like they realized the transformation that Narukami took from P4's release to now, and decided to run with it. With him being less an avatar of the player this time around, and more like someone who pushes the story forward. A force of nature, if you will.

Yeah, I hope the intro and the tension around his Velvet Room contract is heightened this time. He's certainly in an interesting place for a self-insert, but Fukuyama makes it hard to tell how much of an insert he really is, if at all.

They could be getting at "the criminal trying to make good on a debt that can't stop doing wrong" with him. That was great in Red Dead Redemption.

Persona 4's cast resonated with me because of how down-to-earth they felt. Like a group of real kids dealing with pretty realistic issues. In contrast, Persona 5 seems a little more "out there" with its premise, with the costumed master thieves thing. I want to see if they can make the characters in Persona 5 feel as complex and relatable despite their less believable situation.

Dantis

Persona 4's cast resonated with me because of how down-to-earth they felt. Like a group of real kids dealing with pretty realistic issues. In contrast, Persona 5 seems a little more "out there" with its premise, with the costumed master thieves thing. I want to see if they can make the characters in Persona 5 feel as complex and relatable despite their less believable situation.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

I don't think the delinquent thing will end up being reflected too heavily - this is Persona, after all. At first we were under the impressions that the dungeons were physically stealing something, and then it turned out that they're going into bad-guys minds to take the bad part of them out and make them repent. Not exactly criminal masterminds.

Setsu00

To be honest, I think this Phantom Thief thing is stressed too much when discussing the P5 cast. It's like we reduced the P4 cast to the guys that jump into TVs and the P3 cast to the guys who shoot themselves into the head.

To be honest, I think this Phantom Thief thing is stressed too much when discussing the P5 cast. It's like we reduced the P4 cast to the guys that jump into TVs and the P3 cast to the guys who shoot themselves into the head.

Reminds me of that god awful P3FES review thats starts off with "Persona 3 wants you to know that suicide is coooooooooool"

Squire

Banned
Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

I don't think the delinquent thing will end up being reflected too heavily - this is Persona, after all. At first we were under the impressions that the dungeons were physically stealing something, and then it turned out that they're going into bad-guys minds to take the bad part of them out and make them repent. Not exactly criminal masterminds.

I mean, people always wonder what the new group dynamic is and I think delinquebts is it. The kids that sort of detest each other and most of the people around because they are or they feel they're misunderstood. They get to know and respect if not outright like each other by spending more time together, which is probably something forced onto them in some way.

That's basically the plot of The Breakfast Club and pbviously I love referencing John Hughes in P4 discussions. They're not going to be criminal masterminds, no, but that's not what I think of when I hear "delinquents". I think more of frustrated, possibly misguided kids with chips on their shoulders

I agree. It's a completely cursory perspective. I think in the context of the full game, when you're not robbing a dungeon, these characters will have personal drama that's just as relatable as the P4 cast.

Dantis

Yeah, maybe. I feel like the phantom thieves thing will play a much larger role than jumping into the TV did though. The trailers imply real-world ramifications surrouding it.

I mean, people always wonder what the new group dynamic is and I think delinquebts is it. The kids that sort of detest each other and most of the people around because they are or they feel they're misunderstood. They get to know and respect if not outright like each other by spending more time together, which is probably something forced onto them in some way.

That's basically the plot of The Breakfast Club and pbviously I love referencing John Hughes in P4 discussions. They're not going to be criminal masterminds, no, but that's not what I think of when I hear "delinquents". I think more of frustrated, possibly misguided kids with chips on their shoulders.

Maaaaybe, though that wouldn't be my thing, I don't think. Not to say that I dislike Breakfast Club, but I definitely didn't like all the characters.

Bender's a prick.

These discussions sometimes make me wonder why I even like the Persona series.

Let's not beat around the bush, Flux. It's the waifus.

Zolo

I wouldn't be surprised if more of the comic relief scenes in this game are more the type you'd expect troublemakers getting into.

Mediking

I wouldn't be surprised if more of the comic relief scenes in this game are more the type you'd expect troublemakers getting into.

LOL. I'd laugh if one of them trips just as they are trying to escape or one of them starts talking crazy to the police.

I think one thing that will make a difference is the cast size. A lot of people have said that they think there might only be six party members (and therefore only one more reveal), which I think would be a mistake. P4's eight characters is a good number because it meant that there was a lot of variety without anyone getting left out. If you have six characters, and one is a deformed cat, suddenly your options for favourite are lessened.

So like having an option for everyone? I don't know if I agree with that. I think that leads to making cookie cutter roles.

I actually think Persona 4's cast is too big. That's why near end game you have characters only speaking one or two lines in a single scene. I rather they have a smaller cast and condense roles because it gives better opportunity to see individual characters develop more.

Mediking

So like having an option for everyone? I don't know if I agree with that. I think that leads to making cookie cutter roles.

I actually think Persona 4's cast is too big. That's why near end game you have characters only speaking one or two lines in a single scene. I rather they have a smaller cast and condense roles because it gives better opportunity to see individual characters develop more.

^ I really like that idea. Having too many characters is something Type-O suffers from.

Zolo

And Persona 3's cast is even larger.
One thing I do really like from PV#3 is that it shows scenes of Ryuji running and Ann crying which I expect is sorta endgame, so I'm hopeful that the cast will get more development in the main story which was kinda lacking in P4.

Tamanon

Banned
One thing I do really like from PV#3 is that it shows scenes of Ryuji running and Ann crying which I expect is sorta endgame, so I'm hopeful that the cast will get more development in the main story which was kinda lacking in P4.

That's true. The Persona 3 cast had developments all throughout the game, especially Junpei. Persona 4 they took care of their big plot in their first dungeon, then did some work around the edges in their Social Links, then nothing else.

Persona 3 didn't really have this problem, even though it had a larger cast than 4, because the characters... they weren't consolidated into a single group like the P4 cast is. Everyone occupied their own space. On par with characters you meet through social links only. That's the best way I can put it.

Dantis

The thing we're forgetting with Persona 3 here is that the character fandoms were way more unablanced. Fuuka is an objectively less popular character than Aigis by a wide, wide margin, for example. Ken is hated by pretty much everyone. Koromaru is barely a character.

In P4, even though there are more popular characters (Chie), everyone gets a lot of love. There's a lot more balance, because I think overall it's a more appealing cast.

I now see why you're worried about people taking to the P5 cast. There's been a distinct lack of waifus.

I mean, we joke, but I want at least one more female party member with a better design than Ann.

Soriku

I agree, the Phantom Thief stuff seems to just be a medium to delve into people's problems, and then steal some hearts, whatever that entails.

You can also apply the same to Catherine. Who can relate to a guy in underwear climbing blocks to escape his own death in a nightmare? Uhh no one, but that's not the point. The game still did a good job of integrating that and NPC interactions.

Squire

Banned
Another girl would genuinely be nice. I like the gender balance of P4, especially considering you have a male and female character subverting the norms of their genders
even if it's kind of clumsy in retrospect.

Soriku

Another girl would genuinely be nice. I like the gender balance of P4, especially considering you have a male and female character subverting the norms of their genders
even if it's kind of clumsy in retrospect.

There's no way they don't have at least one more girl.

I agree, the Phantom Thief stuff seems to just be a medium to delve into people's problems, and then steal some hearts, whatever that entails.

You can also apply the same to Catherine. Who can relate to a guy in underwear climbing blocks to escape his own death in a nightmare? Uhh no one, but that's not the point. The game still did a good job of integrating that and NPC interactions.

I think characters can be relatable even if their circumstances aren't though.

Sure, no one relates to those particular elements of Catherine, but anxieties about the future, relationships, and responsibility are things that make Vincent a very relatable character.

Which is what I'm looking for in Persona 5. I'm not going to relate to their exact situation, but I feel that any well-written character should have human qualities we can relate to.

Soriku

I think characters can be relatable even if their circumstances aren't though.

Sure, no one relates to those particular elements of Catherine, but anxieties about the future, relationships, and responsibility are things that make Vincent a very relatable character.

Which is what I'm looking for in Persona 5. I'm not going to relate to their exact situation, but I feel that any well-written character should have human qualities we can relate to.

That's what I meant, but there's more to Catherine's characters than just Vincent.

Top Bottom