• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Ooh, I just heard an interesting theory on who one of the new Persona could potentially be. Speculation time!

Kamen Rider Girl's motorcycle Persona could potentially be Godiva as in Lady Godiva...? For those who don't know, the basic jist is she rode on horseback nude to protest oppressive taxes (the story's also the origin of the phrase "peeping Tom"). Wiki it. It would fit in line with this basic thematic element of rebellion for most of the team's Personae.

Ooh, I just heard an interesting theory on who one of the new Persona could potentially be. Speculation time!

Kamen Rider Girl's motorcycle Persona could potentially be Godiva as in Lady Godiva...? For those who don't know, the basic jist is she rode on horseback nude to protest oppressive taxes (the story's also the origin of the phrase "peeping Tom"). Wiki it. It would fit in line with this basic thematic element of rebellion for most of the team's Personae.

But Godiva was still covered by her hair.

Unless of course Biker Girl's secretly Bayonetta.

I guess if the Phantom Thieves will be at E3, they'd have to use the English VO's for that?

So far they've stolen Famitsu's scoop, information from Atlus and Tokyo tower.

I guess if the Phantom Thieves will be at E3, they'd have to use the English VO's for that?

Not necessarily. They could just sub the trailer and call it a day.

If it's an event similar to the Japanese ones, I'm thinking that would be a good time to present the English cast if there's audio for the event specifically.

Of course, the audio could still be the JP voice actors with subs someplace in that case though.

I think it'd be a good idea if they did something like the PQ trailers for each of the VAs. That would be something, especially if the cast is lesser-known.

If it's an event similar to the Japanese ones, I'm thinking that would be a good time to present the English cast if there's audio for the event specifically.

Of course, the audio could still be the JP voice actors with subs someplace in that case though.

Since we were discussing it the other day, since there's an OST selection with the game, we should have the full version of the OP by launch at the latest.

Nachos

I don't see it going any other way. There's no way that Atlus Japan is going to acknowledge E3 on a Japan-centric stream unless something big was going to happen. The way I see it, it wasn't just throwing the international audience a bone (especially when most international viewers were watching illegally); it was telling the Japanese audience to keep an eye on it, too.

I've never done an avatar bet before, but I'd be willing to commit to one for an entire year on the provision that P5's E3 presence will have English VO and new footage.

I don't see it going any other way. There's no way that Atlus Japan is going to acknowledge E3 on a Japan-centric stream unless something big was going to happen. The way I see it, it wasn't just throwing the international audience a bone (especially when most international viewers were watching illegally); it was telling the Japanese audience to keep an eye on it, too.

I've never done an avatar bet before, but I'd be willing to commit to one for an entire year on the provision that P5's E3 presence will have English VO and new footage.

I would add an NA 2016 release date to that.

Atlus USA don't usually show English footage until a few months out from release after all.

I just remembered there isn't an English version of PV 3 yet despite it being a year old. Maybe they're waiting for the dub to be done?

FluxWaveZ

I went to class after the main event, was there any interesting stuff during PSC? Interviews, insight, and such?

It was just them talking about what happened during the event in their new Persona Stalker Club V costumes.

Oh yeah, and right after the PSC segment the Velvet Room twins were talking about E3 being the next event location.

MSMrRound

Hayami Saori AND Yuuki Aoi voicing party members.

Goddamit this game.

I'm so tempted right now to get BOTH a Japanese CE AND a English CE.

Still holding on a bit for E3 though, to see whether John and team can come up with something that can provide the best of both worlds so that I don't have to bust a hole in my wallet...hopefully and add on to my humble collection...cuz getting collector editions Day 1 in my region (South-East Asia Singapore) doesn't come cheap when my region sometime don't really have the rights to certain titles..

13139239_10153591962144632_7123805390851045228_n.jpg

^one of my reactions along with my colleagues' in the work chat, since our work involves dealing with games (and a lot of them are also Persona fans). Don't mind the chat ^_^"
Being Singaporean, our local fanbase can be quite vocal about our Japanese voice actors...though personally I prefer the best of both worlds..

...wonder if a DLC add-on aka Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls would work for Persona 5? Don't get me wrong..I respect both Japanese and English voice actors, and would often replay games/chapters so that I can understand stuff from both of their perspectives. Just out of pure curiosity...I'm not too sure about how things go about at AtlusUSA, but I wonder if there's a scenario e.g Drakengard 3's paid DLC bundle, would the higher ups approve of it..?

Kind of crossing my fingers a bit...it IS an all-star cast afterall, if AtlusUSA were to go all out...even though from past experience I know they would prefer to allocate part of their budget to first print edition bonuses instead e.g artbook/soundtrack instead.

I know my post might have seemed to lean very heavily towards one of those "dual audio whining" posts...but I'm just a bit excited with all these new info and would like to apologize if any of you guys took it the wrong way. Sorry about that! If you guys have been around the community,you know that my posting style typically don't come across that way >_>

Gaaah. Taking time off from work for today was worth it. Time to apply for the 16th of June as well...come to think of it...Sony haven't announce what's the date that they will be scheduling their press conference right...?

Mediking

LMAO @ the few people I've seen saying the new trailers aren't really having any substance besides style. Like, really...????

Yeah, I agree that Atlus JP mentioning e3 means we'll see something new. Especially since the Japanese Persona 5 page even has a page dedicated to the announcement.

I also think this means there's still a chance for a worldwide release to be announced at e3. Definitely be smart of Atlus to release before FFXV on all regions.

It was just them talking about what happened during the event in their new Persona Stalker Club V costumes.

Oh yeah, and right after the PSC segment the Velvet Room twins were talking about E3 being the next event location.
I expected as much. I gleaned the E3 showing from the last part of the main event. Nice to have a second solid confirmation though.

There was the major mind blowing revelation that Stalker Club is being renamed to Stalker Club V
MEGATON

Well I'll wait until I get home so I can efficiently sift through all the stuff we got and process my emotions. I need to burn that trailer into my corneas.

FluxWaveZ

I will say that there is a chance of a surprise regarding the English release of Persona 5 now. I was never one of those saying "Atlus doesn't care about E3!" (the USA branch has had a significant presence there for years and the Japan side is involved even if it's just special guest appearances), but no one could have reasonably expected a dedicated call-out and page for it.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
I will say that there is a chance of a surprise regarding the English release of Persona 5 now. I was never one of those saying "Atlus doesn't care about E3!" (the USA branch has had a significant presence there for years and the Japan side is involved even if it's just special guest appearances), but no one could have reasonably expected a dedicated call-out and page for it.

i am really positive that it will be released in the us this year

PK Gaming

The event was almost overwhelming, but I think I can finally gather my thoughts on the whole shebang.

• The dungeons look incredibly fun to play, goddamn. I don't think I've ever actually had funexploring a dungeon in a Persona game, but P5's definitely looking to be different in that regard.
  • Persona 5 is a game that clearly does not take itself too seriously. I went in assuming the game would be incredibly heavy, but it's clear that there's still a ton of levity and i'm really happy for it.
  • Wowza bo bowza, new characters. We got 3(4?!) potential party members.
  • Ya'll know that H4cker is basically my aesthetic, lol. It almost feels like they were making up for Fuuka, who was similarly good with computer, but never really made use out of it. Her character also has a ton of potential.
  • Kung Fu Gal is... alright. For some reason, i'm honestly not too taken with her yet but that will always change. That bike is cool I guess.
  • -Adieu. Enough said. Love her outfit and she seems like she'll be a ton of fun.
  • Mysterious fourth guy is mysterious. We literally know nothing about him, but his design is surprisingly average.
  • UI stuff looks slick as hell, and combat looks pretty great. I'm definitely going to actively seek out battles just to see the characters move / hear their banter
  • Past Persona DLC, whoo~ I hope their victory animations/quotes change to match.
  • P5 at E3 has me hella intrigued since it more or less confirms that they'll be releasing a NA release date for P5.
Overall a great event. Almost makes up for the intense radio silence we've had to endure up until now. Here's hoping we get P5 within the year.

The "and new footage" will be your doom.

I think I'm going to allow myself to remember that P5 exists and start checking this thread again now that the long wait is approaching the end.

The E3 announcement was probably the nicest announcement to come from the stream. Really interested in seeing what P5's presence there will be and also seeing what info we get.

yuuki

it would be funny if sony will take over p5 eu publishing. afterall its one of their biggest exclusive Jrpg this year.

The Biker Gal looks cool, but there's this nagging fear in my head that she'll be Chie 2.0

Probably won't happen. She doesn't seem to carry herself the same way.

FluxWaveZ

The Biker Gal looks cool, but there's this nagging fear in my head that she'll be Chie 2.0

Probably won't happen. She doesn't seem to carry herself the same way.

Her non-Thief persona looks significantly different than Chie; not too sure I'm seeing the similarities other than she punches stuff to attack.

Her non-Thief persona looks significantly different than Chie; not too sure I'm seeing the similarities other than she punches stuff to attack.

That's pretty much it, but that's probably all it takes for me, since the physical-oriented characters appear to be hit-or-miss for me in the past.

Dantis

Hey guys, trailer impressions time:

Overall, I feel like this is more of what we've already seen. Very much consistent with the last three trailers.
The most significant part is the reveal of the rest of the party (Including the guy with the grey blazer, who isn't in the trailer I don't think?), and as a set, I think the party looks excellent. The weak point for me is still absolutely the thief designs, though the Zorro girl and biker girl's are probably the strongest of them, at least.
In terms of sound, it's basically what I expected, and I'm pretty damn pleased. It sounds very Meguro, with a jazz influence. I think people who expected a full jazz OST might be disappointed, because it still has all his rock and electronica influences that he puts into all his stuff. Personally though, I'm loving it.

Random thoughts:

Ginger girl looks garbage.

Biker girl's Persona better not be her fucking bike.

The cover art backs up my idea that Yusuke will be the opposite of Jun, and be kind of a prick.

The cover art is wonderful.

The boss designs are looking kind of bad. The Egyptian one looks very, very dumb.

The production quality is excellent. It has that same slick animation style as Catherine, where everything feels very solid.

The parts where you see the whole cast together are really nice. Soejima is really good at designing characters who visually complement each other.

I have no idea why characters sometimes high five, or what it means, but I love it.

The beach scene is going to be shit.

I think it's difficult to deny at this point that it's miles wackier than Persona 3 and 4, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Meguro was mistaken. Lyn's pronunciation is atrocious.

Dan's character design ratings (Not thief outfits because ew): Biker girl > Zorro girl > Glasses kun > Yusuke > Ginger girl > Ann > Ryuji

Lol, those character design rankings are like a complete 180 from mine. I think the initial 5 (MC, Ryuuji, Anne, Morgana, and Yusuke) plus now Sakura are the strongest. The last 3 I feel aren't as strong; at this point, I feel they're a bit too plain for main party members. Though Ms. Bishoujo Kaitou looks better in her thief ensemble (the mask/hat combo perfectly covers up that dumb 50/50 part she's got going). Anyway, enough of that; I think the last male party member's probably going to be officially unveiled at E3.

Top Bottom