• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Yeeeeah, Haru looks better in her thief ensemble. Her haircut is dumb without the hat/mask combo; should have given her bangs, Soejima-sensei.

Sae Niijima's design is great, though!

These new images and the new PV have left me wondering why we haven't seen more images of those really cool tear away close ups of the characters as was seen in the first full PV?

We've seen more of the traditional full head portraits accompanying the speech bubbles a la P3 and P4
that I was hoping P5 would ditch entirely since it's running on new hardware but c'est la vie
. I hope those didn't get the axe as I thought those were a unique way to present the characters during dialogue scenes.

Zolo

Makoto dresses like someone's mom

I love it

That's actually a pretty accurate description. Her casual wear is pretty much the type of outfit you'd expect someone at least 10 years older than her to wear.

Morgana has a car? Have I completely missed something from before?
She can shapeshift. More likely than the dude, she's probably Ryuji's facemask in the plane from the trailer.

PK Gaming

Not fully feeling Haru's design tbh

She looks like such a soejima ass character, like I bet if I thumbed through the 2004-2010 Soejima artwork i'd find her

Yeah, Haru's design (and even Makoto's to an extent) reminds me of early, rough designs of Soejima's that didn't make the final cut in other games. But mostly I just dislike that 50/50 part on Haru's hair. Yuck.

Zolo

Can't post because scan, but that pic of Haru looking uncomfortable in the car with that one dude could have a "M'lady" joke put in it.

FluxWaveZ

She looks like such a soejima ass character, like I bet if I thumbed through the 2004-2010 Soejima artwork i'd fine her

The thing is that, particularly with Persona 5, the character designs cannot be taken in isolation. Soejima obviously would consider this: the dichotomy between how they are as a "normal teenager" and how they are as a Phantom Thief is important. The juxtaposition between the two manifestations of a character need to be conveyed by these differences and similarities.

Personally, I think Haru's Phantom Thief design is one of the most striking, and a huge part of that is because of how dramatic her demeanor and overall look is in that form compared to her normal appearance.

Nachos

I just realized: with Necronomicon's level up screen, I wonder if we just won't get 2D art of the new personas in-game. People would most likely have to wait to see the evolved forms.

She looks like such a soejima ass character, like I bet if I thumbed through the 2004-2010 Soejima artwork i'd fine her
Yeah, she feels like she was designed with her thief outfit, and only that, in mind. I'm honestly not liking Makoto's concept art as much as I like her model, too.

Can't post because scan, but that pic of Haru looking uncomfortable in the car with that one dude could have a "M'lady" joke put in it.

CiHaE2aUgAEivF-

Guess Who

Banned
i was sick of the m'lady jokes literally the moment i saw her persona is milady because i knew they were coming and there was nothing i could do to stop them

Zolo

The thing is that, particularly with Persona 5, the character designs cannot be taken in isolation. Soejima obviously would consider this: the dichotomy between how they are as a "normal teenager" and how they are as a Phantom Thief is important. The juxtaposition between the two manifestations of a character need to be conveyed by these differences and similarities.

Personally, I think Haru's Phantom Thief design is one of the most striking, and a huge part of that is because of how dramatic her demeanor and overall look is in that form compared to her normal appearance.

Yeah. It feels you can already get that to a point. Along with that, you also have:

Makoto as this rough, angry biker type chick which probably correlates to how she can't really act in real life.

Sakura's this super confident super hacker whereas she's obviously shy and has societal issues in real life.

And of course, Haru seems to act dramatic when she probably has to act calm and subdued in real life.

PK Gaming

I get what he was trying to go for, and I appreciate the dichotomy between designs (her phantom thief design is obviously fantastic) but I just don't like her base design. It gives me this massive case of deja-vu, I don't really care for it overall. She especially sticks out in comparison to everyone else, who generally look amazing.

i was sick of the m'lady jokes literally the moment i saw her persona is milady because i knew they were coming and there was nothing i could do to stop them

You and me both, pal.
What's a fedora supposed to even mean, anyway? Where did that tired as balls gag come from??

Please localize it as deWinter if only to nip this in the bud.

FluxWaveZ

I get what he was trying to go for, and I appreciate the dichotomy between designs (her phantom thief design is obviously fantastic) but I just don't like her base design. It gives me this massive case of deja-vu, I don't really care for it overall. She especially sticks out in comparison to everyone else, who generally look amazing.

I see what you mean, though I guess it doesn't bother me as much because of that dichotomy, because of her background and also since I'm actually fond of the more plain designs for characters in this context.

I wonder if Potter-kun is gonna be a badass in both guises, or he's just gonna be poofy IRL

Well, this all kinda starts when
he beats someone up for harassing women in what is presumably his normal form,
so there's that.

Zolo

Well, this all kinda starts when
he beats someone up for harassing women in what is presumably his normal form,
so there's that.

Yeah. It seems kinda strange that
his profile list him as seeming like a normal, mild-mannered student when it seems he'll have 'Oh. And he beat the shit out of this one dude.' on there.

Lunar15

I was kinda guessing the MC was going to be known as a really boring and well mannered guy, so that no one would ever expect him to be the Phantom Thief. However, sounds like
he's got a record at the start of this.

Literally beaten by seconds lol.

Jintor

i don't know why but all i can think of is will smith being lifted and spun over his head in the opening credits of fresh prince

I kinda like that the protagonist's story apparently opens with
him decking some harassing asshole. Like, most protagonists, including previous Persona ones, stumble into something weird or life-changing to start their journey, but here's this dude starting shit with some scumbag instead. It's vigilante-esque.

I kinda like that the protagonist's story apparently opens with
him decking some harassing asshole. Like, most protagonists, including previous Persona ones, stumble into something weird or life-changing to start their journey, but here's this dude starting shit with some scumbag instead. It's vigilante-esque.

I mostly like how it puts to rest any concerns I had about him being ultimately self-serving. Though I guess now I've still got to worry about Ryuji.

i don't know why but all i can think of is will smith being lifted and spun over his head in the opening credits of fresh prince

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I’d like to take a minute
To just let you know
I’ll tell you how I became a thief in a town called Tokyo

Lusankya

These new images and the new PV have left me wondering why we haven't seen more images of those really cool tear away close ups of the characters as was seen in the first full PV?

We've seen more of the traditional full head portraits accompanying the speech bubbles a la P3 and P4
that I was hoping P5 would ditch entirely since it's running on new hardware but c'est la vie
. I hope those didn't get the axe as I thought those were a unique way to present the characters during dialogue scenes.

We did see them as cut ins during battles, I think.
I am really glad they didn't ditch the full head portraits. They are so nice to look at and so many new JRPGs got rid of them.

Strimei

Looking at Haru in her normal attire, it finally dawned on me why she looked familiar.

She reminds me of Luna from Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

(btw don't google image search for her if you don't want spoilers)

Lusankya

Btw. how comes that Haru is supposed to go to a different school yet wears the same uniform as the other ones?

Edit: Wait, she isn't supposed to go to another school at all. Where did I even read that?

Top Bottom