• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Zolo

Just imagine this with Makoto and Sae.

1.jpg

convo

Just heard that same mentality verbatim from the SBF cast, and it makes total sense.

As in walking of into gameplay? I don't know, i can't demand more than just not looking like MC is walking in circles. People need to be a lot more specific to make it look sensible and also alow the player to stay at the result screen.
We really get specific discussing that result screen aren't we? They will probably make the background less specific to make it look less awkward.

Guess Who

Banned
As in walking of into gameplay? I don't know, i can't demand more than just not looking like MC is walking in circles. People need to be a lot more specific to make it look sensible and also alow the player to stay at the result screen.
We really get specific discussing that result screen aren't we? They will probably make the background less specific to make it look less awkward.

You can see the background getting darker, so it probably totally fades to black at some point (with MC still visible) so it looks less like he's running in circles.

Jintor

man i might have to go into total isolation mode. i can feel the hype coursing through my veins

this fucking year so good for gaming holy shit

Squire

Banned
man i might have to go into total isolation mode. i can feel the hype coursing through my veins

this fucking year so good for gaming holy shit

I'm thinking E3 is going to be the last hurrah for me. And yeah, this year is so good, the wait isn't even going to be an issue, however long it might be.

Jintor

でも。。。めっちゃきになります!!!!!!

Makio

So,Makoto has a sister huh? or was that her mother? she is a police officer/detective by the look of it.

If japanese women use their husband last name as their own one (like in America) i say mom.
Plus if she a detective and we dont know how much "power" / experience she had in the "force". Always in movies and stuff being that kind of "special" agent / detective takes years and stuff.

To me she like a late 20's - 30 years old (No more of 35).

We dont know her age exactly but she looks way older too be her sister.

(Maybe because her hair is so clear seems she have white hair instead a clear blonde one).

There's always cousin, but that's just a weak connection.

Maybe i misread somewhere , but the interview hinted she either her mom or her sister.

Plus comment aside , glad to see more "Makoto" avatars (than others girls avatar) in here , with all Sakura popularity going around in the internet im surprised to see #TeamMakoto is strong here.

Guesing all we really needed was a name to attribute to the character.

Makio

There's always cousin, but that's just a weak connection.

Maybe i misread somewhere , but the interview hinted she either her mom or her sister.

Plus comment aside , glad to see more "Makoto" avatars (than others girls avatar) in here , with all Sakura popularity going around in the internet im surprised to see #TeamMakoto is strong here.

cj_iwakura

So question is, will the US version still have Igor's dub voice even though it's wildly different from the direction of the new JP voice?

Makio

So question is, will the US version still have Igor's dub voice even though it's wildly different from the direction of the new JP voice?

Depends what Japan is trying to do with this change of voice so diferent
Maybe a character / personality change so big they really need to change the voice actor even in the dub

But is not like Daniel Woren (actual Igor voice) cant handle the voice change , i just hope if they change it can been with someone better than Vic "Da Man" Mignogna which in Ultimax sounds horrible unfitting in my opinion.

And im hopeful because from all the re-cast dub PCB / Atlus are made so far that one is the one i really dont like it (hell even Marisha Ray's Margaret grows fast into me after Ultimax and Dance All Night).

Any chances of party member x party member romance? Instead of always MC x party member romance?

Also, if I have a question regarding the context of a particular screenshot of the game... where can I ask... such a question?

Makio

I'm a english dub fanboy / whore myself , and i cant even care less about the japanese dubs.

But even me thinks this time that japanese cast is too good , to get lost in localization.
Hell Atlus usa put it in DLC or something (like they do in some Neptunia games sometimes) , pretty sure people who want to play with jap audio they would play more for it.

Is Sakura her first name?

Kudo

But even me thinks this time that japanese cast is too good , to get lost in localization.
Hell Atlus usa put it in DLC or something (like they do in some Neptunia games sometimes) , pretty sure people who want to play with jap audio they would play more for it.

Definitely. I hope they give it the full treatment with dual audio.
I know lots of people that would be okay with paid DLC JP voices, have the Neptunia games been free?
Only examples of paid I can think of is Soul Sacrifice Delta and Another Episode had it free for first week too. Something of that sort would be perfect, but we'll see.

_Ryo_

Any chances of party member x party member romance? Instead of always MC x party member romance?

Also, if I have a question regarding the context of a particular screenshot of the game... where can I ask... such a question?

I really do hope there's inner party member romances. Say if two others party members date it would allow social links to bleed into one another and may even affect story as a whole. Say that certain characters have a chance to meet tragic ends based on your actions, and two members of your party are dating but having troubles so they each come to you separately for advice and you can either side with one of them or remain neutral, depending on your action is their reaction, and if you hit enough dark variables then that may lead to a tragic end to one of the characters later in the game.

Also I actually liked that you could break most social links in P3Fes, it's more realistic that not everyone will put up with your bullshit and always forgive you no matter what.

Anyway yea, two party members outside of MC dating could potentially be very interesting.

I really do hope there's inner party member romances. Say if two others party members date it would allow social links to bleed into one another and may even affect story as a whole. Say that certain characters have a chance to meet tragic ends based on your actions, and two members of your party are dating but having troubles so they each come to you separately for advice and you can either side with one of them or remain neutral, depending on your action is their reaction, and if you hit enough dark variables then that may lead to a tragic end to one of the characters later in the game.

Also I actually liked that you could break most social links in P3Fes, it's more realistic that not everyone will put up with your bullshit and always forgive you no matter what.

Anyway yea, two party members outside of MC dating could potentially be very interesting.

There's already the idea that Ryuji and Anne are a thing at some point. Now I'm just wondering what to do with the rest.

Jintor

japanese name shit is hilarious. my favourite is the 'kira kira name' phenom where you can be given names where either the kanji pronounciation doesn't match up or the kanji is only used for the phonetic usage as part of some other dumb name.

緑輝 for instance is the kanji for 'green' and 'shining' which you might normally think of as みどり あきら (midori-akira, or maybe ryoku-akira, or ryouku-ku...)

however, you pronounce it sapphire

why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Mediking

I hope Persona 3 FES is the next game to be on the PS2 Classics to PS4 schedule. Persona 3 Portable is fun but I would literally cry if P3FES was on PSN for PS4.

Nachos

And yeah, they should have the dub act in the new direction too.

On one hand, it'd be a bummer to lose Mallow, but on the other if they got Michael McConnohie to do the new voice, they could also get him to voice whichever detective just sounds like him talking in Japanese in the recent trailer.

Sophia

Y'know.... ever since the initial teaser reveal, Persona 5 has been giving me Pesona 2-ish vibes. I haven't been able to figure out why. But re-watching the latest trailer for the 100th time, I think I finally understand the reason for the similar vibes. It's not the color, or the UI, or anything like that.

It's the scope of the game's story and setting.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 largely had the story about your group vs another existential crisis. In Persona 3, you're trying to stop enemies in a time period that nobody really knows about initially. In Persona 4, you're trying to catch a murderer, and while the town is involved, nobody knows about the supernatural elements except your group. Both games had their plot progress that escalated things, of course, but the "scope" of the setting was smaller.

In contrast, Persona 5 appears to have a much larger scope. Just from the trailers alone, we've seen dungeon settings ranging from castles, to pyramids in Egypt, to space stations on the moon. We see people talking about the phantom thieves. We have protagonists with seemingly real complex motivations this time around. The third and fourth trailers show that shit is obviously gonna get real at some point or another. It's a much bigger scope, and a much grander stage, so to speak. Admittedly, a lot of this is probably because of the romantic, picaresque style story elements. But it's very similar to Persona 2 in which things escalate at a much quicker pace. It quickly stops just being your group vs an existential crisis.

I think we're gonna see a game that's really special because of that. I can't wait for the release date. :3

But it's very similar to Persona 2 in which things escalate at a much quicker pace.

I'm playing Persona 2 for the first time (sorta) right now and this statement cannot be truer.

Things go from rival high school hijinks to
OMG THE NAZIS ARE INVADING AND LOOKING FOR ALIEN ARTIFACTS
fairly sharpish!

Sophia

I'm playing Persona 2 for the first time (sorta) right now and this statement cannot be truer.

fairly sharpish!

Say what you want to about Satomi Tadashi, but the man knew how to write a story where stuff happens and Status Quo Is God is firmly avoided.

fairly sharpish!

That escalation was a thing missing in p3&4. Both great games but there was a relaxed nature throughout most the game. P5 has police involved from the get go and clearly problem are occurring in the real world to the extent that everyone was having a bad time seen in pv2.

I'm also curious to see if the plot threads follow jojo as persona 4 did which held a very vague resemblance. P5 does have a criminal party like jojo part 5 so there may be something there.

Zolo

Persona 3 escalated pretty good in the last month or two, but
it was still mostly involving an event that only the main characters knew about. There was also other stuff going around like Takaya getting a large group of followers and other stuff happening around the time, but we never really get to see it. That said, P5 does seem to have the largest amount of ramifications in the real world that Persona 2 also seemed to have.

PK Gaming

Y'know.... ever since the initial teaser reveal, Persona 5 has been giving me Pesona 2-ish vibes. I haven't been able to figure out why. But re-watching the latest trailer for the 100th time, I think I finally understand the reason for the similar vibes. It's not the color, or the UI, or anything like that.

It's the scope of the game's story and setting.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 largely had the story about your group vs another existential crisis. In Persona 3, you're trying to stop enemies in a time period that nobody really knows about initially. In Persona 4, you're trying to catch a murderer, and while the town is involved, nobody knows about the supernatural elements except your group. Both games had their plot progress that escalated things, of course, but the "scope" of the setting was smaller.

In contrast, Persona 5 appears to have a much larger scope. Just from the trailers alone, we've seen dungeon settings ranging from castles, to pyramids in Egypt, to space stations on the moon. We see people talking about the phantom thieves. We have protagonists with seemingly real complex motivations this time around. The third and fourth trailers show that shit is obviously gonna get real at some point or another. It's a much bigger scope, and a much grander stage, so to speak. Admittedly, a lot of this is probably because of the romantic, picaresque style story elements. But it's very similar to Persona 2 in which things escalate at a much quicker pace. It quickly stops just being your group vs an existential crisis.

I think we're gonna see a game that's really special because of that. I can't wait for the release date. :3

Both games have a Lisa
Both games have a Jun
Both games have demons running around
Both games have wacky adult antagonists

You're probably onto something

Sophia

Gather round, everyone! It's spoiler tags time! For every game, including all Persoooona 5 material~!

Persona 3 escalated pretty good in the last month or two, but
it was still mostly involving an event that only the main characters knew about. There was also other stuff going around like Takaya getting a large group of followers and other stuff happening around the time, but we never really get to see it. That said, P5 does seem to have the largest amount of ramifications in the real world that Persona 2 also seemed to have.

Persona 3 is actually an interesting case because it's story doesn't escalate very quickly. Until Shinjiro dies in October, the story barely goes beyond the initial premise instead favoring building it's characters. The moment Shinjiro dies, there's a bit of a rush to the final full moon shadow, then the Itsuki plot twist. Then more character reflection before the gradual buildup to the final parts of the story. I like it in it's own way, in a sense. It's similar to how the Harry Potter novels are.

Persona 4, on the other hand, I'd say actually has a much quicker escalation. Once Nanako gets kidnapped, shit gets real, and shit stays real save for an intentionally placed lull near the end of the game. You go from not having too much information regarding the murderer, to Nanako being indirectly kidnapped, to her death, to her revival, to the real murderer getting outed, and to finding out much more about the Midnight Channel. If you're playing Persona 4 Golden, the mysteries of the midnight channel continue to stay at the same intensity, as you're immediately thrown into the dungeon with Marie and her nature, followed by that intentional lull at the end game.

Persona 5 probably won't be as fast paced of a story as Persona 2 was. The calendar system is still there, and it looks like we're gonna again play out a full year. But the fact that we're starting out with a protagonist entering probation for beating the crap of a guy with a Persona, combined with the serial nature of the game's plot, means we're prooobably gonna have a lot more plot twists and stuff after each dungeon. Stuff will happen. It won't be like Persona 4 where they'll save someone and only be ever so slightly closer to finding the murderer. And that's pretty exciting to me.

Both games have a Lisa
Both games have a Jun
Both games have demons running around
Both games have wacky adult antagonists

You're probably onto something

Ahaha. The one guy with a cape in PV4 reminds me of an even wackier and creepier version of Hanya. I'm expecting good things there.

P5 is much more public. In 3/4 it was only really the main cast who knew of the Dark Hour/TV World, the rest of the world was oblivious to the fact that anything was going on. Especially the case in 4.

In 5 the Phantom Thieves are known of. The police and government are involved. Dungeon bosses are other adults and not just Shadows. The thieves even seem to operate in the real world at times, and it seems like people close to the cast will be involved in both the real world and Palace sides. (In another parallel to P2, it seems like there is a bit of a focus on parent/guardian figures too, with Anne's teacher, Yusuke's mentor, we see someone who is probably Makoto's father in the scans, and her sister/mother is involved too, and Haru's relationship with her mother is mentioned too.)

Unrelated, found this:

pclb297w.png

Top Bottom