• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lunar15

Y'know.... ever since the initial teaser reveal, Persona 5 has been giving me Pesona 2-ish vibes. I haven't been able to figure out why. But re-watching the latest trailer for the 100th time, I think I finally understand the reason for the similar vibes. It's not the color, or the UI, or anything like that.

It's the scope of the game's story and setting.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 largely had the story about your group vs another existential crisis. In Persona 3, you're trying to stop enemies in a time period that nobody really knows about initially. In Persona 4, you're trying to catch a murderer, and while the town is involved, nobody knows about the supernatural elements except your group. Both games had their plot progress that escalated things, of course, but the "scope" of the setting was smaller.

In contrast, Persona 5 appears to have a much larger scope. Just from the trailers alone, we've seen dungeon settings ranging from castles, to pyramids in Egypt, to space stations on the moon. We see people talking about the phantom thieves. We have protagonists with seemingly real complex motivations this time around. The third and fourth trailers show that shit is obviously gonna get real at some point or another. It's a much bigger scope, and a much grander stage, so to speak. Admittedly, a lot of this is probably because of the romantic, picaresque style story elements. But it's very similar to Persona 2 in which things escalate at a much quicker pace. It quickly stops just being your group vs an existential crisis.

I think we're gonna see a game that's really special because of that. I can't wait for the release date. :3

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It all kind of comes down to how they do it. I like the secret, "no one knows what you're doing" approach, but I also love the "phantom thief" type stories they're referencing. The problem with scale is that it can become very messy from a story standpoint.

Moreso than the actual scale, I've been thinking about the themes surrounding how each of them get their personas, and I'm curious as to how it all shakes out. 3 was learning about death and dealing with it, 4 was about rejecting lies about yourself and accepting the truth of who you were. Both of these are, for the most part, self-inflicted wounds. P5's on the other hand seems to be problems that are directly caused by other people: Yusuke's mentor, Creepy stalker dude, etc. Will this be as compelling? I dunno. There's definitely a personal aspect to it: these are probably people who aren't fighting against their problems and they have to force themselves to, but it's not like we can all just summon a persona and literally defeat the people we don't like. P3 and P4's came down to the person themselves changing or accepting themselves, not really defeating another person standing in their way.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Is he telling us there's a chance? (Not my tweet but it's real)

Hopefully the dream becomes reality.

And yeah, they should have the dub act in the new direction too.

It was a sign of appreciation for being polite and level-headed with the inquiry.

Unlike some others.

Kill Screen just put up an article/interview

So is it one central 'Tartarus' built of multiple dungeons? Or misinterpretation?

I assume that was the writer's interpretation from the trailers. We didn't provide any information about in-game stuff. It would've been nice if they asked us. :\

Zolo

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It all kind of comes down to how they do it. I like the secret, "no one knows what you're doing" approach, but I also love the "phantom thief" type stories they're referencing. The problem with scale is that it can become very messy from a story standpoint.

Moreso than the actual scale, I've been thinking about the themes surrounding how each of them get their personas, and I'm curious as to how it all shakes out. 3 was learning about death and dealing with it, 4 was about rejecting lies about yourself and accepting the truth of who you were. Both of these are, for the most part, self-inflicted wounds. P5's on the other hand seems to be problems that are directly caused by other people: Yusuke's mentor, Creepy stalker dude, etc. Will this be as compelling? I dunno. There's definitely a personal aspect to it: these are probably people who aren't fighting against their problems and they have to force themselves to, but it's not like we can all just summon a persona and literally defeat the people we don't like. P3 and P4's came down to the person themselves changing or accepting themselves, not really defeating another person standing in their way.

For what it's worth, I don't think the individuals faced in the Palace are the only people who the characters have to deal with. The feeling also seems to be about how the characters feel societal/outside pressure to conform to a certain behavior forcing themselves to keep who they truly are trapped inside of them.

To use an example, Makoto's boss seems to be the 'money fly' guy, but she almost certainly still gets pressure from her family as well as possibly faculty and others. I think we'll definitely see some overlap with Persona 4's themes as far as that's concerned admittedly.

It was a sign of appreciation for being polite and level-headed with the inquiry.

Unlike some others.
This is kinda a perfect example of how just because you're joking doesn't mean your comment isn't awful.

Replaying P3FES has made me realize that I don't think this game has a moment (I'm not quite done yet, but I don't remember one) equivalent to the part in P4 where
you get the letter.

I always really liked that part because
it hits you right at home. Like yeah, you're chasing a murderer for the whole game, but it's always in the TV world, so it's "distant." The danger isn't really felt. You're always safe usually in the town but especially in your house until suddenly you're reminded that you're a bunch of damn kids in way over their heads and you're playing a very dangerous game with a dude willing to fucking murder people.

P3, ironically given its premise,
doesn't have that in the same way because the danger is always constrained to the Dark Hour. Even when Shinjiro dies, he's this dude who has been doing everything he can to mark himself as different from your group, he's only with you for a short time, and the actual event that kills him is in a shady alley during the Dark Hour. That "safe" line isn't crossed. Even when it switches to the final depressing month, that's a sort of omnipresent helplessness; what depression feels like. It's not that sharp danger the letter represents. Not that that's a bad thing. It works great in the game, it's just different.

Given that P5 has heavier involvement from the authorities and looks like the real world and alternate world may interact more heavily, not to mention the inherent danger and personal risk that comes out of being a band of thieves and living a double life, I wonder how often that sharp feeling of "oh fuck oh fuck" that P4 gave me in that moment will show up.

Setsu00

I assume that was the writer's interpretation from the trailers. We didn't provide any information about in-game stuff. It would've been nice if they asked us. :\

I always wondered why there are so few original English-language interviews with the development staff exist. I would assume that Hashino and the others are incredibly busy and organizing an interview seems like a lot of trouble with the amount of translation work involved, but I still wish there were more interviews like this.

That article is weird. A lot of it is a copy paste from another one on a partner site that actually went up from before PV4 came out.

MSMrRound

It doesn't hurt to try! But yeah, being reasonable goes a long way since it's a two-way street. Doesn't mean that when fans want something they should whine nor throw a tantrum about it to the publishers and what's not.

We know usually licensing/marketing issues are a big factor, but I bet there are also some out there hoping for AtlusUSA to maybe to pull out a rabbit out of the hat, and manage to secure Japanese voice tracks as paid/pre-order DLC aka what Square Enix/NISA did for Drakengard 3 and Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls respectively. That would really please fans like me who really appreciate the hard work that goes into the voicing of both JP and English dub.

Shall just cross my fingers for now and wait patiently for localized news to (hopefully) start rolling out from E3 onwards. Good luck in the preparation and cheers!

MSMrRound

That shit is definitely in the cards

Like, i'm 99% sure at least one of Ryuji, Haru or Anne will have daddy issues

Out of the party members that we have seen so far, I'm kind of looking at Haru, since her father owns a large chain of restaurants and seems to be quite influential in dealing with other people. Perhaps the focus on her might be about how she's fed up of keeping up with appearances and living under her father's shadow or something along those lines.

heck, one of the dungeons had the word "potato" flashing on the wall, something to do with the restaurants Haru's father take charge over? From the look of things it might be a family restaurant type (since Haru was shown meeting up with the MC there).

PK Gaming

Oh yeah, I hope Arsene has a regular EXP curve + skillsets beyond level 10, like the other party member Personas.

And if anyone responds with "that would be too OP" or "that wouldn't work"

I will literally smash my bedroom table to bits

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh yeah, I hope Arsene has a regular EXP curve + skillsets beyond level 10, like the other party member Personas.

That would be too OP.

I want pictures of the destruction.

Guess Who

Banned

I think it would discourage fusion, since Arsene would clearly have a leg up on every other Persona you could fuse on account of having so much more longevity.

I tried

I couldn't do it

Well, at least your fists aren't too OP.

In all seriousness, don't think there's much point to Arsene gaining skills from 1 to 99, that's what the Wild Card ability's for.

Who knows, maybe you can simulate it with skill cards, assuming they exist in this game.

PK Gaming

I think it would discourage fusion, since Arsene would clearly have a leg up on every other Persona you could fuse on account of having so much more longevity.

Well, at least your fists aren't too OP.

In all seriousness, don't think there's much point to Arsene gaining skills from 1 to 99, that's what the Wild Card ability's for.

Who knows, maybe you can simulate it with skill cards, assuming they exist in this game.

See, I don't agree with this since you'll still need to fuse for elemental coverage / resistances / skills. Ideally, Arsene would be balanced around that fact in mind, and have lower stats or simple abilities to compensate. P2:IS/P4G lets you keep you starter Persona and the game balance doesn't really suffer for it.

Mediking

Hacker-chan, pls. I wonder where her design clearly came from. Lol she might as well be playing Splatoon on a freaking Wii U in a scene in P5.

image.php

image.php

And, yeah. I'm mostly joking. Lol

Kudo

Unlike some others.

Wow, that escalated quickly.. I'm not even sure if he's joking or not.
Hopefully there's still a chance for dual audio, I'm sure you're more than aware that there's a crowd for it, it'd be a very nice surprise.
Cheers and thanks for explaining the tweet.

cj_iwakura

Say what you want to about Satomi Tadashi, but the man knew how to write a story where stuff happens and Status Quo Is God is firmly avoided.

What bad things can people possibly say about him besides 'he self-inserted himself with a character from SMT If and pissed off a lot of fanboys'? I don't think that magically causes all his work to become awful.

I mean, if we're getting into it, P3 is the king of parental issues.

MC:
Orphan
Yukari:
Dead dad, promiscuous mum
Junpei:
Abusive alcoholic dad, no mention of mum
Mitsuru:
No mention of mum, dad gets murdered
Akihiko:
Orphan
Shinjiro:
Orphan
Ken:
Mum gets accidentally killed, no mention of dad
Hell, even Koromaru:
Owner died in an accident

The only one who gets away with it is Aigis and that's because she has no parents, being a robot an all.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm reading this thread, and I'm sitting here thinking 'I should try to play Innocent Sin again' knowing full well that after ten minutes of walking into an encounter every 15 seconds and making Ginko dance repeatedly at slimes to get cards I'm going to give up.

I'm reading this thread, and I'm sitting here thinking 'I should try to play Innocent Sin again' knowing full well that after ten minutes of walking into an encounter every 15 seconds and making Ginko dance repeatedly at slimes to get cards I'm going to give up.

That was pretty much my first 4 attempts at the game. Dont think I made it past 2 hours in.

Honestly though? Persevere through it. It's an absolutely bonkers game and after a short while, the combat/cards system just becomes trivial to the point where it's hardly a delay anymore.

daevious

The real benefit of Persona 5 is that it'll essentially become "Here's (most of) the good elements of Persona 2 without them being chained to a battle system that is too easy, too long and too frequent."

MudoSkills

I'm going to start it again. I got as far as the idol group concert but that was with a gap of several months from when I started.

I'll also endeavour to play the first Persona before I get into it. I don't know how much crossover there is between the two, but when I started playing IS I just got the impression I was missing a lot for having not played the first game, and it put me off it.

cj_iwakura

Dungeon at a time. I've beaten the game three times and that's still my M.O.

And yes, play P1 first. Massive, massive crossover. Especially prior to Eternal Punishment.

MudoSkills

I'm going to show my ignorance here but what's the deal with the availability of EP? Based on what I've picked up from this/past community threads I think it's available as a download on the JP and US PSN but there isn't an English Language version available?

Guess Who

Banned
See, I don't agree with this since you'll still need to fuse for elemental coverage / resistances / skills. Ideally, Arsene would be balanced around that fact in mind, and have lower stats or simple abilities to compensate. P2:IS/P4G lets you keep you starter Persona and the game balance doesn't really suffer for it.

I can't speak for IS, but P4G totally suffered for it - you can ride the whole game out with early Personas through skill cards and shuffle time bonuses if you want to. I know plenty of friends who played Persona more for the story than the battle system and it's extremely possible to play P4G on normal and rarely fuse anything, just scrape by with buffing Izanagi and picking up random Personas along the way. You can rely on party members to fill holes in the Protag's lineup to a large degree.

I'm going to show my ignorance here but what's the deal with the availability of EP? Based on what I've picked up from this/past community threads I think it's available as a download on the JP and US PSN but there isn't an English Language version available?

It's available as a PS1 classic on NA (but not EU) PSN in English, but there's a few terminology differences to IS PSP due to it being an older game and carrying over charecter names from Revelations: Persona.

There's no English version of the PSP port.

IS/EP had quite a good approach in that you got mid game "main" Persona upgrades, not just an endgame Ultimate. That could work quite well for the MC in P5.

cj_iwakura

It's available as a PS1 classic on NA (but not EU) PSN in English, but there's a few terminology differences to IS PSP due to it being an older game and carrying over charecter names from Revelations: Persona.

There's no English version of the PSP port.

Pretty much. The PS1 release has a serviceable translation that's solid more often than not, but having spent the last few months editing it for EP PSP, a lot of flaws stand out.

Such as... characters... talking with lots of... ellipses...

Beyond that, it's perfectly playable.

I mean, if we're getting into it, P3 is the king of parental issues.

MC:
Orphan
Yukari:
Dead dad, promiscuous mum
Junpei:
Abusive alcoholic dad, no mention of mum
Mitsuru:
No mention of mum, dad gets murdered
Akihiko:
Orphan
Shinjiro:
Orphan
Ken:
Mum gets accidentally killed, no mention of dad
Hell, even Koromaru:
Owner died in an accident

The only one who gets away with it is Aigis and that's because she has no parents, being a robot an all.

I thought Koro's owner got killed by a Shadow? Oh whatever...

And amusing that you completely forgot about Fuuka. XD

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I always wondered why there are so few original English-language interviews with the development staff exist. I would assume that Hashino and the others are incredibly busy and organizing an interview seems like a lot of trouble with the amount of translation work involved, but I still wish there were more interviews like this.

It's tough. Part of it is work schedule, part of it are the layers in-between the dev and me (there are many), and part of it is suitability. For this interview in particular, it took...4ish months? And after sending the questions over initially, I got a BUNCH of questions back from the dev team about what we thought they meant, etc. So we had to go back and re-clarify, and that process takes time too.

I've been really pleasantly surprised though. P4D's director did an interview with The Verge last year, and I thought it was REALLY well done. I'll get the questions in English, look 'em over, and throw in any notes or explanations if I need to. That gets translated into Japanese, sent to HQ, answered, sent back, translated, edited, and then I look over it before it goes back to the journo. (And when I say look over it, it's usually for grammar or anything that might need more explanation or whatever. I've _NEVER_ removed anything from an interview other than an errant typo.)

But that's a long process, and involves at the very least... 6 people? It can be tough, unfortunately. Especially when Japan is working on hitting their dates.

IDK if there are any takeaways here, just felt like explaining this I guess.

PK Gaming

I can't speak for IS, but P4G totally suffered for it - you can ride the whole game out with early Personas through skill cards and shuffle time bonuses if you want to. I know plenty of friends who played Persona more for the story than the battle system and it's extremely possible to play P4G on normal and rarely fuse anything, just scrape by with buffing Izanagi and picking up random Personas along the way. You can rely on party members to fill holes in the Protag's lineup to a large degree.

Early game Personas that are carried by stat cards are still vastly inferior to freshly fused Persona because Level has a noticeable effect on damage (both when receiving and dishing it out). Like, stat card buffed Izanagi would still always be worse than something that's even 10 levels higher because the scaling was significant.

That aside, P4G didn't suffer because you could maintain an early game Persona. It suffered from the fact that the new Shuffle time mechanics were outright broken and the various alterations that worsened the balance. To put it another way, you wouldn't be able to use a "normal" Izanagi (ie: one that kept gaining skills) to get you through vanilla Shadow Kanji or Shadow Mitsuo. You'd still have to fuse another Persona to beat them. PQ lets characters keep a static Persona with them at all time and you're pretty much required to fuse for other Persona. Heck, even Soul Hackers gives you a demon (Zoma Zeed) that can be maintained and the balance doesn't suffer for it.

I just don't see a problem with allowing Arsene to grow like the other Personas. You'll still swap it out when you need to since it won't be able cover everything and there's a joy to be found in using the protagonist's default Persona (that's why Orpheus/Izanagi only runs are a thing). Seriously, I'd rather rely on my boi Izanagi to get through a major boss instead of some dumb ass looking demon™.

Zolo

It's tough. Part of it is work schedule, part of it are the layers in-between the dev and me (there are many), and part of it is suitability. For this interview in particular, it took...4ish months? And after sending the questions over initially, I got a BUNCH of questions back from the dev team about what we thought they meant, etc. So we had to go back and re-clarify, and that process takes time too.

I've been really pleasantly surprised though. P4D's director did an interview with The Verge last year, and I thought it was REALLY well done. I'll get the questions in English, look 'em over, and throw in any notes or explanations if I need to. That gets translated into Japanese, sent to HQ, answered, sent back, translated, edited, and then I look over it before it goes back to the journo. (And when I say look over it, it's usually for grammar or anything that might need more explanation or whatever. I've _NEVER_ removed anything from an interview other than an errant typo.)

But that's a long process, and involves at the very least... 6 people? It can be tough, unfortunately. Especially when Japan is working on hitting their dates.

IDK if there are any takeaways here, just felt like explaining this I guess.

I really appreciate hearing it. It's always nice to me hearing about the process that goes into these types of things.

I'd rather rely on my boi Izanagi to get through a major boss instead of some dumb ass looking demon™
Don't talk shit about Black Frost!

cj_iwakura

I'm wondering if maybe this MB(and every MB on the internet) could use a 'How To Break Persona 2' guide for those who just want the story. It's not that hard at all.

Top Bottom