• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Squire

Banned
You think Hashino, Soejima and Meguro would go to E3 together?

For this? Without question. I don't see why they wouldn't all want to be on hand for interviews and the like. The show is relevant to Japan because they've said so. It's relevant to the west because of its location. If all three aren't there, I'd actually be surprised.

daevious

For this? Without question. I don't see why they wouldn't all want to be on hand for interviews and the like. The show is relevant to Japan because they've said so. It's relevant to the west because of its location. If all three aren't there, I'd actually be surprised.

If they don't use this opportunity to set up interviews and start talking with press, they're really letting a good opportunity slip away.

FluxWaveZ

I bet you only one of them will be there, if any at all.

Hashino didn't even make it to TGS 2015, of all events.

I'd almost guarantee that the Stalker Club hosts will be at E3.

I also bet you that neither of the Persona Stalker Club hosts will be at E3.

FluxWaveZ

So this is how weird ass rumors start. Let's bring this back:
xmjZuyr.jpg

Squire

Banned
I bet you only one of them will be there, if any at all.

Hashino didn't even make it to TGS 2015, of all events.

I also bet you that neither of the Persona Stalker Club hosts will be at E3.

Did they make a thing out of TGS though? Most companies don't this day and age, even when they attend. There's a teaser site just so Atlus can tell you they're coming to E3. It's pretty different.

If it's only person though, yeah, I'd say it's Hashino.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Am I biased to say that the only thing I associate with Atlus teasing stuff is disappointment.
I feel on all the stuff they teased about that actually delivered we knew pretty well beforehand on what to expect.

Everything else is nothing or underwhelming.
But might be just me having missed the good ones.

DNAbro

Am I biased to say that the only thing I associate with Atlus teasing stuff is disappointment.
I feel on all the stuff they teased about that actually delivered we knew pretty well beforehand on what to expect.

Atlus has been one of the few companies to consistently deliver when we knew beforehand an event was coming up. The original P5 stream, the concert stream for PV1, the TGS PV3, and the Tokyo Tower event.

We had an idea about most of these events(except TGS delay) because we just made predictions that made sense. Outside of this Atlus really hasn't teased much.

Atlus has been one of the few companies to consistently deliver when we knew beforehand and event was coming up. The original P5 stream, the concert stream for PV1, the TGS PV3, and the Tokyo Tower event.

We had an idea about most of these events(except TGS delay) because we just made predictions that made sense. Outside of this Atlus really hasn't teased much.

Non-Persona teases have been pretty good too. There was the SMT IV related one fairly recently, which turned out to be for an entirely new game which I don't think anybody expected.

FluxWaveZ

Did they make a thing out of TGS though? Most companies don't this day and age, even when they attend. There's a teaser site just so Atlus can tell you they're coming to E3. It's pretty different.

If it's only person though, yeah, I'd say it's Hashino.

Um... were you not around during TGS 2015? That was the biggest event for Persona 5 before May 5, 2016.

Just check here: http://personacentral.com/tag/tgs-2015/

In short, they made a HUGE thing out of TGS.

1. Teaser website (they had one for TGS 2015, this E3 2016 one doesn't differ from that): http://persona5.jp/tgs2015/
2. Multiple stage shows.
3. Long "Business Trip! Persona Channel TGS 2015" live stream.
4. New Persona 5 PV03 trailer, with a large amount of info.
5. Announcement of Persona 5 anime.

etc.

Whatever they do at E3 2016, it won't match what they did at TGS 2015 in terms of the quantity of unveils. The reason Hashino couldn't make it (where he expressed regret because he couldn't receive the "Game of Show" prize himself for P5) was because he was too busy actually working on the game. I could see the same happening for E3 2016; they're at the final stretch of development, and it might not be wise for the core team members to travel to E3.

Disagree 100%. Every time Atlus Japan has teased something themselves, they've delivered something substantial for me.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Kk the things that I think about are stuff like growlanser and that other thing that was announced along side it I guess things I would associate more with Atlus USA I think.

Holy shit, for anyone interested, YT user YongYea made an hour long analysis of PV#04. I didn't think there'd be anything new for me to catch, but was gladly proven wrong. There were a couple tidbits I hadn't noticed in all my rewatches.

Holy shit, for anyone interested, YT user YongYea made an hour long analysis of PV#04. I didn't think there'd be anything new for me to catch, but was gladly proven wrong. There were a couple tidbits I hadn't noticed in all my rewatches.

I second that. Direct link here and worth the time to watch.

Cant watch right now, can you give a summary of the new things you noticed?

A lot of attention paid to the button prompts, analyzing the icons on the mini-map, speculation on Futaba's history, and taking what we've seen in previous trailers into account.

_Ryo_

Cant watch right now, can you give a summary of the new things you noticed?

Squire

Banned

I think people are prone to pessimism and as a result, they only remember when teases don't deliver, forget the times they do, and fixate on the former.

It's E3. It's going to be fine. Probably very good.

This seems like the exact opposite of teasing to me.

It seems like Atlus JP are going to have some kind of presence, and he's currently out of the loop for it,

I more get the impression that whatever they're doing at E3 is going to be bigger/more ambitious than usual.

DNAbro

It seems like Atlus JP are going to have some kind of presence, and he's currently out of the loop for it,

I still love the idea that Hardin knows the least out of anyone in Atlus USA. If somehow Atlus JP is doing something without USA knowing exactly what, that would be super weird.

Dantis

I still love the idea that Hardin knows the least out of anyone in Atlus USA. If somehow Atlus JP is doing something without USA knowing exactly what, that would be super weird.

This is absolutely not what I'm saying.

I am 100% certain that there have been a number of times when Atlus US weren't privy to Atlus JP's plans though.

It's not that Hardin doesn't know, it's that Atlus US doesn't know.

I second that. Direct link here and worth the time to watch.

A lot of attention paid to the button prompts, analyzing the icons on the mini-map, speculation on Futaba's history, and taking what we've seen in previous trailers into account.
I enjoyed the MGSV trailer analyses that he did glad to see he does P5 too.
He missed a few things like the ninth party member (Crow) & the fact that Rise and Fuuka could buff the party but other than that it was pretty good.
Didn't notice some of the little details like
Futaba apparently making the platforms in the pyramid dungeon

This is absolutely not what I'm saying.

I am 100% certain that there have been a number of times when Atlus US weren't privy to Atlus JP's plans though.

It's not that Hardin doesn't know, it's that Atlus US doesn't know.

I would assume that whatever Atlus JP is planning for E3, Atlus US would have to know at least a little.

They're the branch that usually handles E3, right? So why wouldn't they know? This is different than Atlus JP not telling Atlus US that they plan to announce a delay at a Japan only event.

I would assume that whatever Atlus JP is planning for E3, Atlus US would have to know at least a little.

They're the branch that usually handles E3, right? So why wouldn't they know? This is different than Atlus JP not telling Atlus US that they plan to announce a delay at a Japan only event.

Yeah, I really don't see Atlus USA being in the dark as to what's going on at E3 of all places. Plus they've been teasing their E3 plans for months.

Squire

Banned

You're kidding yourself if you actually think he would make that kind of anxiety public.

Edit: LOL @ Atlus US not knowing what the JP arm is doing for E3. They know.

Mediking

That would be great.I find the social link system really exhausting in some ways as it is now and a revamp would be amazing.5 would even be fine if the S.link characters ed up being as irrelevant as many in 3/4 are.

Super depressing social links should automatically be limited to 5 max. 7 should be the new limit for social links in general. Haha

He missed a few things like the ninth party member (Crow) & the fact that Rise and Fuuka could buff the party but other than that it was pretty good.

A lot of the combat-related things he mentioned being new, like the Navigator buffs and the out-of-party assists were very prominent in P4G. They seem to have ramped up for this, though.

Futaba Persona and hacker ID discussion:
I find it odd that her persona is Necronomicon when apparently her online hacker ID is Ali Baba, which is a literary thief reference like most of the other team Personas.

Random demonology-related boss musings:
Asmodeus is the demon king of Lust, and Kamoshida's dungeon is fairly obviously based on that theme. I do, however, find it a bit odd that Beelzebub seems to be associated with the money/Avarice dungeon when he's technically the demon king of Gluttony, which would seem to fit better with the fast food or restaurant theme. Additionally, his demon form seems to be far less monstrous and more humanoid than Asmodeus's, which makes me wonder if there might be a two-stage transformation where the bosses take on a quasi-demon form first before transforming into a full demon.

Working thematically, I'm going to guess that Madarame is going to be either Leviathan (Envy) or Lucifer (Pride), although the weird painting-related form doesn't really match either in terms of iconography, although it does obviously match the dungeon and his relationship with Yusuke.

No idea about the Sphinx, though.

A lot of the combat-related things he mentioned being new, like the Navigator buffs and the out-of-party assists were very prominent in P4G. They seem to have ramped up for this, though.

Futaba Persona and hacker ID discussion:
I find it odd that her persona is Necronomicon when apparently her online hacker ID is Ali Baba, which is a literary thief reference like most of the other team Personas.

Random demonology-related boss musings:
Asmodeus is the demon king of Lust, and Kamoshida's dungeon is fairly obviously based on that theme. I do, however, find it a bit odd that Beelzebub seems to be associated with the money/Avarice dungeon when he's technically the demon king of Gluttony, which would seem to fit better with the fast food or restaurant theme. Additionally, his demon form seems to be far less monstrous and more humanoid than Asmodeus's, which makes me wonder if there might be a two-stage transformation where the bosses take on a quasi-demon form first before transforming into a full demon.

Working thematically, I'm going to guess that Madarame is going to be either Leviathan (Envy) or Lucifer (Pride), although the weird painting-related form doesn't really match either in terms of iconography, although it does obviously match the dungeon and his relationship with Yusuke.

No idea about the Sphinx, though.

From what it looks like
Ali baba is the name of the site she's on, not her. Her tag is something else

Edit: PV4 Screencap -
Yeah, it says HoneyMTU in the area where I would assume her messages going out are.

daevious

I came across this post talking about the practical reasons why Persona 3 and 4 felt so separate from the first two games and considering how much some of us crack wise at Atlus for not acknowledging them, it's nice to see another perspective on the matter.

Quick summary for people who don't want to click the link:
Persona 3 was limited by streamlining, and Persona 4 could not change much about that, because they literally could not work outside the boundaries of what they had done with Persona 3, because they had no money to program that.

FluxWaveZ

I came across this post talking about the practical reasons why Persona 3 and 4 felt so separate from the first two games and considering how much some of us crack wise at Atlus for not acknowledging them, it's nice to see another perspective on the matter.

Are there any sources detailing Atlus's supposed very poor financial status during the development of Persona 4?

Reading that, it doesn't seem like it properly explains why P1/P2 representation wasn't in Persona 3 according to the thesis? Unless they're saying Atlus were also in a bad place financially when that game was in development.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
What does that even mean the engines where so damn identical?
It comes off as someone spouting tech jargon without understanding it or omitting a ton of context.

Davilmar

What does that even mean the engines where so damn identical?
It comes off as someone spouting tech jargon without understanding it or omitting a ton of context.

That confused me a bit too. I'm thinking textures, physics, collision, animation, rendering, sounds, scripting and all the other components that make a game engine. More or less, it was almost exactly the same from Persona 3.

daevious

Are there any sources detailing Atlus's supposed very poor financial status during the development of Persona 4?

Reading that, it doesn't seem like it properly explains why P1/P2 representation wasn't in Persona 3 according to the thesis? Unless they're saying Atlus were also in a bad place financially when that game was in development.

I'd heard of their finances being terrible sometime around Persona 3's launch, but that could just be talking about the downward sales trend for their games until Persona 3 changed that.

That being said, I will admit that their time frame for Index buying them out sounds off as well, because it makes is sound like Index bought Atlus immediately after Persona 4 was done even through that's not the case at all.

So when P5 is exactly like 3 and 4 we can straight up call it weeb bait confident that they're just ignoring that the first three games exist, right?

I joke, I joke

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
That confused me a bit too. I'm thinking textures, physics, collision, animation, rendering, sounds, scripting and all the other components that make a game engine. More or less, it was almost exactly the same from Persona 3.

Ok there are just too many things that irk me on that statement that might make sense with more context(like how they did the comparison), but I somehow doubt that the whole thing just reads like fan ramblings based on poor research.

But let me leave that you generally don't want to rewrite your engine so large parts being the same shouldn't be a surprise. Heck that's the whole point with an engine you lay a good foundation so you can profit of it with every game you build with it.

Top Bottom