• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

That post is pretty half baked. Atlus reuses assets no doubt, especially at the end of the PS2 era but the timeline is strange. Index didn't buy Atlus until a couple of years after P4 came out and it's not like they had no game output or development going on at all in between that time.

The fact is, you're a mid tier dev creating a sequel on a last gen system with the same general mechanics, dungeon layout, battle system, not to mention the same demons, etc showing up..Of COURSE you use the first game as groundwork. That's common sense. It saves time and money, which is something you want to do no matter how much of it you have to spare.

And bleh at the ending of ~you have the merchandising to thank~
That's like saying "you have yourself to thank." If Persona fans didn't want to sit through the
Disgraceful
milking of P3 and especially P4, we/they wouldn't have. Simple as that. People who were staunchly upset at the departure from the first two games weren't the ones buying P4A blu rays and wall scrolls and DAN DLC. They were more likely to be the ones who actually brought SMT IV or something.

Ok there are just too many things that irk me on that statement that might make sense with more context(like how they did the comparison), but I somehow doubt that the whole thing just reads like fan ramblings based on poor research.

But let me leave that you generally don't want to rewrite your engine so large parts being the same shouldn't be a surprise. Heck that's the whole point with an engine you lay a good foundation so you can profit of it with every game you build with it.

Assets and data from Persona 3 can still be found all over if you dig in the files, to an amount that cannot be explained with “testing data”, and the game engines are so ridiculously identical that you can swap around game models between the games with little repercussions other than animations getting messed up due to P4 adding the “Guard” command to the battle system,

Here's a wiki dedicated to cut gaming content. This is the entry on the leftovers from P3. It's notably tagged with this:

Sub-page this and add the remaining hundreds of leftovers.

There's also the music section which has every track from P3 in it, apparently left on the Persona 4 disc.

Say what you want about reusing engines, but I'm pretty sure that many assets from another game aren't supposed to be there.

Davilmar

Ok there are just too many things that irk me on that statement that might make sense with more context(like how they did the comparison), but I somehow doubt that the whole thing just reads like fan ramblings based on poor research.

But let me leave that you generally don't want to rewrite your engine so large parts being the same shouldn't be a surprise. Heck that's the whole point with an engine you lay a good foundation so you can profit of it with every game you build with it.

I wish there was a bit more background into how and why Atlus ended in its financial hole. The details are a bit lacking in some areas, so I could be completely speculating. A lot of game sequels tend to do upgrades to their engines, or have newer versions of the same base engine. Atlus was in such a bad state, they practically lifted the same engine from the previous game and made little changes at all. It is practical and time efficient to have a base engine, but companies in better states tend to do upgrades on the same engine philosophy; to have better animations, FPS, graphic shading, etc. Here, they just copy and pasted. If the source posted is to be believed.

FluxWaveZ

I wish there was a bit more background into how and why Atlus ended in its financial hole. The details are a bit lacking in some areas, so I could be completely speculating. A lot of game sequels tend to do upgrades to their engines, or have newer versions of the same base engine. Atlus was in such a bad state, they practically lifted the same engine from the previous game and made little changes at all. It is practical and time efficient to have a base engine, but companies in better states tend to do upgrades on the same engine philosophy; to have better animations, FPS, graphic shading, etc. Here, they just copy and pasted. If the source posted is to be believed.

But they released Persona 4 two years after Persona 3. They started developing Persona 4 literally during the end of Persona 3's development. They weren't going to upgrade their engine in that way in that time frame, putting aside the fact that they're not a company that would necessarily do that with more time at their disposal in the first place.

I still want a source to Atlus apparently being in a bad financial state during this time, because this is the first time I have ever heard this.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing about this is surprising or ridiculous to me.
I mean what do people actually expect when making statements like that.

You build technology/tools to be as robust as possible so you can use them for as long as possible.

"Assets and data from Persona 3 can still be found all over if you dig in the files, to an amount that cannot be explained with “testing data."

Again statements like these makes me doubt if the person has even any kind of technical background. Especially when I look at that wiki and that's an amount of leftovers that can't be explained with "testing data" lol.
Maybe there's an argument about why so much was left in to be able to be found but and aspect of development is managing priorities, cleaning up is not always the highest thing on that list. So leftover placeholder stuff isn't really anything surprising or out of the ordinary.

But like I said maybe the important context to let it make sense is just missing.

But they released Persona 4 two years after Persona 3. They started developing Persona 4 literally during the end of Persona 3's development. They weren't going to upgrade their engine in that way in that time frame, putting aside the fact that they're not a company that would necessarily do that with more time at their disposal in the first place.

I still want a source to Atlus apparently being in a bad financial state during this time, because this is the first time I have ever heard this.

I've seen it said here a few times, but I'm not sure where it's sourced from. It was implied to be related to whatever the fuck Index was doing from what I remember.

Davilmar

If Atlus was in a financial hole, the lack of major changes in the game engine would make more sense. Presuming the source posted is credible. I don't know enough about Atlus as a company to know what their philosophy on game design is, so I can only take your word for it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
If Atlus was in a financial hole, the lack of major changes in the game engine would make more sense. Presuming the source posted is credible. I don't know enough about Atlus as a company to know what their philosophy on game design is, so I can only take your word for it.

Yes Telltale are obviously also in a financial hole which also explains the lack of major changes in the game engine for every one of their games since Walking Dead I.
(Sry the snark is not directed at you, I just want to again demonstrate why that text seems like a bunch of nonsense to me and people should think twice before taking anything in it as fact.)

People need to think about engines like actual tools. Because it's not the first time I feel like I'm reading statements that seem based of on nebulous ideas on what an engine actually is. You don't make a new hammer for every new cupboard you build. What will differ most often than not is the thing you're actually building not the tools you build it with.

It's like people that don't know any programming telling you about how you need to learn X language because that's currently the hot shit. They don't understand that, that's not the important thing about programming.

FluxWaveZ

Atlus is a company notorious for reusing as many assets as they can across their games. Look at all of their PlayStation 2 era output and you'll easily see why there is nothing weird about the fact that they wouldn't have updated their engine in such a short period of time. Look at Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

The engine they made for Persona 5 and a whole bunch of those assets? I 100% guarantee you you'll be seeing them exactly as they are in future Atlus titles, and that's to be expected.

Again, Atlus isn't that large a company that they would need to make big technical adjustments like that. It's not how they roll, especially not back in the P3/P4 era.

Sophia

I think it's best to have a source before stating (as Neni has) that Atlus's financial stats were dire. The presence of several Persona 3 assists alone does not indicate much of anything; lots of games have leftover assists like that.

Likewise, I'm pretty sure the two videos that Neni references are from the old Atlus blog that I can't remember the name of. I've seen them before. However, I don't think they are examples of actual in-game footage. Rather, if I recall correctly, they were more proof of concept than anything. And if I also recall correctly, memory limitations were the reason for dialing back some design elements.

EDIT: Here you go, AtlusNet post: http://www.atlusnet.jp/topic/detail/286

FluxWaveZ

Likewise, I'm pretty sure the two videos that Neni references are from the old Atlus blog that I can't remember the name of. I've seen them before. However, I don't think they are examples of actual in-game footage. Rather, if I recall correctly, they were more proof of concept than anything. And if I also recall correctly, memory limitations were the reason for dialing back some design elements.

Yeah, these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=846mAjy_Cns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTHQWqE_R0

Sophia

Yup. Those are the ones.

The text on the Atlusnet site reads "当時の、演出検討用のデモムービーがこちら↓" or roughly translated by Google "At the time, the demonstration movie for production considered here ↓"

Pepsiman's explanation likewise says the same thing basically. So yeah, like like I said, pretty sure these were more proof of concepts than actual in game footage.

Unless Neni or someone else finds a source for Atlus's claimed budget, then I'm inclined to believe that she may have jumped the gun with the assumptions just slightly.

asagami_

Banned
Many japanese developers have had problems to adapt the new tendencies 10 years ago, and they still have problems to do it. Atlus, even I love it, are a mid-tier developers known for reuses a lot of resources.

Persona 5 is likely to be the new "Nocturne" for Atlus, in the sense that its engine and all the assets involved in it (I suspect mainly 3D models) will be in a way or other in future games.

[...]
The engine they made for Persona 5 and a whole bunch of those assets? I 100% guarantee you you'll be seeing them exactly as they are in future Atlus titles, and that's to be expected.[...]

This is the only reason I am not disappointed about the lack of HD games from Atlus devs. I mean, I can't wait to a new Raidou Kuzunoha-esque game in high definition! Just need to wait... a little more.

Mediking

Maybe it's Atlus' destiny to transform into Rockstar in a way. Only put out 1-2 amazing console games in a generation but their handheld side will push out more.

MSMrRound

Cjs9Z7CUgAI0e8q.jpg

John wasn't kidding. The Odin Sphere storybook edition is pretty big!

Comes with a rather nice slipcase too...but the shirt's a bit too big=/

Hopefully when they finally announce the P5 CE...and if they are going to chuck in a shirt or something similar, they might find a way to deal with different body sizes out there..

Oh...and props to the team for the PS4 Odin Sphere demo as well. Even though I'm kind of a fan of both Atlus and Vanillaware stuff, I kept telling myself not to spend..but I enjoyed my time with the demo and it pushed me over the edge...with me going on to get the storybook edition. RIP wallet. It's a nice looking one though!

Davilmar

Nothing about this is surprising or ridiculous to me.
I mean what do people actually expect when making statements like that.

You build technology/tools to be as robust as possible so you can use them for as long as possible.

"Assets and data from Persona 3 can still be found all over if you dig in the files, to an amount that cannot be explained with “testing data."

Again statements like these makes me doubt if the person has even any kind of technical background. Especially when I look at that wiki and that's an amount of leftovers that can't be explained with "testing data" lol.
Maybe there's an argument about why so much was left in to be able to be found but and aspect of development is managing priorities, cleaning up is not always the highest thing on that list. So leftover placeholder stuff isn't really anything surprising or out of the ordinary.

But like I said maybe the important context to let it make sense is just missing.

Looking back at the original Tumblr source, it just seems as if the person is recalling something they might have heard from an older source or someone. The large amount of leftovers is quite unusual, and having it just be "testing data" doesn't really fit. Which would mean you are right in that some context is necessary to understand what happened in the development to lead to the material being put on the cutting floor. I hope someday we may actually see some detailed background into how the game were developed. Maybe not as detailed as Square did with every single Final Fantasy entry, but at least more detail than we have here.

Yes Telltale are obviously also in a financial hole which also explains the lack of major changes in the game engine for every one of their games since Walking Dead I.
(Sry the snark is not directed at you, I just want to again demonstrate why that text seems like a bunch of nonsense to me and people should think twice before taking anything in it as fact.)

People need to think about engines like actual tools. Because it's not the first time I feel like I'm reading statements that seem based of on nebulous ideas on what an engine actually is. You don't make a new hammer for every new cupboard you build. What will differ most often than not is the thing you're actually building not the tools you build it with.

It's like people that don't know any programming telling you about how you need to learn X language because that's currently the hot shit. They don't understand that, that's not the important thing about programming.

I have never played a TellTale game, so your snark was certainly lost on me! If if so, I didn't it personally. As I said before, if Atlus (or TellTale) were Konami, Square, Rockstar Games, Capcom, EA, or some larger company, I would have more context into their background. I just don't know enough about Atlus as a company to have an informed opinion.

Going back to the idea of game engines, don't most game developers modify or upgrade their game engines when they make sequels? Or maybe I'm just thinking of larger developers. I'm genuinely surprised when I hear they practically copy and paste everything, which seems to be what the source is saying. Game engines often have upgraded versions to allow for better animations, shading, etc. The components that make up the game engine are improved to allow a game to work more fluidly. It sounds like here in the case with Atlus, they just used the exact same engine. The PS2 Grand Theft Auto era game series all used RenderWare, but you can obviously tell a difference between all three games when it comes to graphics, collision detection, draw distance, animation, shading, etc. Those upgrades they made on the same base game engine is what I'm referring to.

Atlus is a company notorious for reusing as many assets as they can across their games. Look at all of their PlayStation 2 era output and you'll easily see why there is nothing weird about the fact that they wouldn't have updated their engine in such a short period of time. Look at Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

The engine they made for Persona 5 and a whole bunch of those assets? I 100% guarantee you you'll be seeing them exactly as they are in future Atlus titles, and that's to be expected.

Again, Atlus isn't that large a company that they would need to make big technical adjustments like that. It's not how they roll, especially not back in the P3/P4 era.

That is a lot of good info to know, and thank you. Is the release of Persona 3 and 4 on the PS2 basically Atlus using the same engine for as long as possible? I was surprised to learn that the original Persona 2 was ported to the PS1 in 2002 and 2003! That alone speaks enough to what you mentioned. Even if they re-use the assets from Persona 5, its good that they are finally taking the time to add some "bells and whistles" to their games. The fact that they are releasing a Persona game on a modern game system without a successor generation is great in itself.

Hey guys, I'd like to join this community.

Though first things first. Is waifu talk allowed in here?

I think promoting your own is fine, but being dismissive or derogatory towards others' is bad.
Anyone with a better handle on things want to back me up on this?

(Oh, and welcome to PersonaGAF)

John wasn't kidding. The Odin Sphere storybook edition is pretty big!

Comes with a rather nice slipcase too...but the shirt's a bit too big=/

Hopefully when they finally announce the P5 CE...and if they are going to chuck in a shirt or something similar, they might find a way to deal with different body sizes out there..

Oh...and props to the team for the PS4 Odin Sphere demo as well. Even though I'm kind of a fan of both Atlus and Vanillaware stuff, I kept telling myself not to spend..but I enjoyed my time with the demo and it pushed me over the edge...with me going on to get the storybook edition. RIP wallet. It's a nice looking one though!

It'd be nice, but they won't. I'm a smallish girl and I never get to wear LE swag anywhere but to bed. Ugh I really want to pull the trigger on that Odin Sphere LE though. But SO MANY LE's are coming out. I don't know..

Aters

Welcome! Beware of waifuposting in OT threads, I think that's bannable but not sure.

Welcome... To the P-GAF room.

This part always seems weird to me. Can we make certain things bannable in certain threads? Not that I have problem with it, just being curious.

Sophia

Waifu shitposting in Persona 5 OTs will be made bannable, enforced by the mods themselves.

And thank God for that.

This part always seems weird to me. Can we make certain things bannable in certain threads? Not that I have problem with it, just being curious.

Certain things can be bannable in certain threads, yeah. Mind you, waifu talk is not strictly banned here as far as I know. But it's definitely looked down upon if you go beyond a mere joke. :p

Zolo

Yeah. We pretty much had people talking about Makoto on page 301 in that manner. It's okay as long as it doesn't derail the thread or go too deep down the rabbit hole.

On here anyway. OT-wise, there may be a zero tolerance to make sure there's not even a situation for things to get out of hand.

Personally, I've actually found shipping discussion just as bad. People can get really weird/obsessed with their romance topics.

Mediking

Hey guys, I'd like to join this community.

Though first things first. Is waifu talk allowed in here?

Hey!!!! Don't talk about waifu here... trust me. Just don't. I made the mistake of talking about waifu in a few threads and somebody was like, "STOP!!!". And I know it's kinda ironic because waifu is a big element in Persona and a few other games but don't do it. The Fire Emblem Fates thread is prolly the only thread that might be okay with waifu conversation but I wouldn't risk it.

On a much positive note... welcome!!! You're gonna have alotta fun here!!!

Hey!!!! Don't talk about waifu here... trust me. Just don't. I made the mistake of talking about waifu in a few threads and somebody was like, "STOP!!!". And I know it's kinda ironic because waifu is a big element in Persona and a few other games but don't do it. The Fire Emblem Fates thread is prolly the only thread that might be okay with waifu conversation but I wouldn't risk it.

On a much positive note... welcome!!! You're gonna have alotta fun here!!!

Waifu != in-game relationships

Yes, relationship-building is a big element in the games, but don't confuse it with waifu shitposting. Objectively talking about traits is usually allowed, like my few rants about why people like Aigis when some people had asked how people can possibly like a robot

Waifu posting. Now getting representation in-game:

Oyyyy...

(btw, plz quote the picture so it doesn't take up all that space)
edit: thank you

You know it'll happen. Futaba's message board. Somewhere in Akiba. A question coming up of:

Q: Do you believe in the phantom thieves? A: Queen is my waifu. Approval: 70%

You know what? I should groan at that, but it's happened to far worse criminals in real life. I'll take it.

FluxWaveZ

Was there anyone who really has? I always take it as ironic shitposting.

People use this excuse a lot but, yes, there are a ton of people who take that discussion seriously. That's what makes it such a problem. Mediking, on this very page, is one who has admitted to such in the past.

And, as has been said before, being silly doesn't really give leeway to the issue that is shitting up a thread with it. People troll to be silly, but doing so excessively is a problem when it comes to actual discussion.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
People use this excuse a lot but, yes, there are a ton of people who take that discussion seriously. That's what makes it such a problem. Mediking, on this very page, is one who has admitted to such in the past.

And, as has been said before, being silly doesn't really give leeway to the issue that is shitting up a thread with it. People troll to be silly, but doing so excessively is a problem when it comes to actual discussion.

I can't remember when I've ever taken anything that seriously on the internet.

Ehm

Neo Member
Say what you want about reusing engines, but I'm pretty sure that many assets from another game aren't supposed to be there.

Majority of the Persona 3 data is stored in such a way that it's meant to be used as filler data. This isn't uncommon in disc based games, as it's done to slightly speed up load times. It's certainly uncommon that they used such a wide variety of Persona 3 data though. Other PS2 Atlus games contain hundreds of copies of the same SMT III: Nocturne song packed together as filler.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Going back to the idea of game engines, don't most game developers modify or upgrade their game engines when they make sequels? Or maybe I'm just thinking of larger developers. I'm genuinely surprised when I hear they practically copy and paste everything, which seems to be what the source is saying. Game engines often have upgraded versions to allow for better animations, shading, etc. The components that make up the game engine are improved to allow a game to work more fluidly. It sounds like here in the case with Atlus, they just used the exact same engine. The PS2 Grand Theft Auto era game series all used RenderWare, but you can obviously tell a difference between all three games when it comes to graphics, collision detection, draw distance, animation, shading, etc. Those upgrades they made on the same base game engine is what I'm referring to.

It depends on what you want to build but generally you don't want to change your engine if you don't have to(but people want to make better cooler and bigger stuff so expanding the capabilities of your engine happens too). It also has nothing to do with size or budget like I said it depends on what you want to do (I mean between all Call of Duties of the PS3/360 era how much do people guess of the engine related codebase is the same there? Or between AC 2, Brotherhood and Revelations).

The problem I take the statement gives no source or context for why they think the engines are ridiculously similar or what about them is. Like what if 95% of the engine related code base is the same? Is that ridiculously similar already? Or what if you don't modify anything and just add functions how do you then make the comparison of how much changed? Do you go 100% and 105% just based on the amount of added code per function and it's not like amount of code written even means anything for amount of capabilities added.(the more I go on the less it makes sense).

Like this notion that an engine needs to change by x % between titles to be the norm is so fucking stupid and has nothing to do with reality.

Also engines are big things that take a lot of time to build(that's why not everyone makes their own) if you just add a function here or there of course it won't change heavily. Again that's kind of the point.

Majority of the Persona 3 data is stored in such a way that it's meant to be used as filler data. This isn't uncommon in disc based games, as it's done to slightly speed up load times. It's certainly uncommon that they used such a wide variety of Persona 3 data though. Other PS2 Atlus games contain hundreds of copies of the same SMT III: Nocturne song packed together as filler.

Huh. Interesting.

Top Bottom