• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Are the Persona 3 anime movie releases any good? Just found out there are 4 of them. I can't imagine what they can add to the plot after The Answer, but I'm open.

Guess Who

Banned
Are the Persona 3 anime movie releases any good? Just found out there are 4 of them. I can't imagine what they can add to the plot after The Answer, but I'm open.

They're basically just a film adaptation of the original game. They're pretty solid - better than the P4 anime, for sure - but the further they go into the game the more rushed they start to feel, story-wise.

Theodoricos

You can't cram all the details of a story from a game that's 80+ hours long into 4 movies, but I enjoy the movies for what they are.

As for what they add, mostly they give Minato/Makoto some additional characterization that wasn't present in the game due to him being more or less a blank slate protagonist.

Mediking

People use this excuse a lot but, yes, there are a ton of people who take that discussion seriously. That's what makes it such a problem. Mediking, on this very page, is one who has admitted to such in the past.

And, as has been said before, being silly doesn't really give leeway to the issue that is shitting up a thread with it. People troll to be silly, but doing so excessively is a problem when it comes to actual discussion.

Mhmmm. I learned my lesson. I don't wanna jeopardize my account and get banned. I totally understand.

Are you proud of me, Kagari? See? I can grow!

They're good, if you can manage some pacing issues (because no one still understands a 60 hour game cannot be crammed in such a short timeframe)
The major scenes are very much worth it, they are really well done and the emotional impact from some of the scenes hit me even harder because it was in full animation

Sophia

They're basically just a film adaptation of the original game. They're pretty solid - better than the P4 anime, for sure - but the further they go into the game the more rushed they start to feel, story-wise.

The nature of P3's story is that events are kind of loaded, so you end up with weird pacing issues as a result of
several months and full moon shadows being crammed into the 2nd movie. And then you hit the 3rd movie and everything just slows down for so much needed new material that wasn't in the game.

That being said, despite these pacing issues, the movies are all around fantastic adaptions. Way better than any other adaption of a Megami Tensei game.

The nature of P3's story is that events are kind of loaded, so you end up with weird pacing issues as a result of
several months and full moon shadows being crammed into the 2nd movie. And then you hit the 3rd movie and everything just slows down for so much needed new material that wasn't in the game.

That being said, despite these pacing issues, the movies are all around fantastic adaptions. Way better than any other adaption of a Megami Tensei game.

I can't wait to watch the 4th movie. I hope the ending is as powerful as the trailers make it out to be. I'm gonna be crying like a baby for a week (again)

I just watched the first version yesterday. I want this 1 hour of my lifetime back..

WC <---- Don't know what this is (lol)

Attacking enemies from behind <---- Instant fight win (WTF? In the interview they released at the same time it clearly shows that it's just like attacking shadows from behind to get first strike)

And the worst thing of all: When the last anime cutscene plays out where the entire cast is to see he doesn't even mention the 4th guy (Brown haired/Crow)
Chxzd1cUgAAdJ5R.jpg

(Not watching an hour long analysis)

There does appear to be some instant win. You see it twice during the PV, although it clearly isn't just from a back attack, since we also see that triggering a battle. Probably level dependent like Earthbound or something.

Going back to PV3, I wonder what random fire is, since we don't see that at all in PV4/the development interview.

Unrelated: Today's Stalker Club had a segment from Futaba's voice actor.

Did they ever say what P2 skills Orpheus Picaro and Izanagi Picaro are supposed to have? Is it just, like, Izanagi gets Nova Kaiser and Orpheus gets Crescent Mirror?

considering futaba gets costumes, I wonder how much more of a role in dungeons she will play than past navigators. Rise showed up for assists in golden, but you couldnt change her costume. If Futaba has costumes for just that it would be pretty lame

Or maybe costume selection extends beyond dungeons now.

Also if Futaba has costume selection, will she have other equipment?

Also, I got woofycakes to draw Marie at combo breaker, conveniently he posted a pic on twitter
https://twitter.com/woofycakes/status/737032706333249537

Setsu00

Did they ever say what P2 skills Orpheus Picaro and Izanagi Picaro are supposed to have? Is it just, like, Izanagi gets Nova Kaiser and Orpheus gets Crescent Mirror?

I don't think they ever said that Orpheus Picaro and Izanagi Picaro were going to have P2 skills. They are meant to be the P5 protagonist's interpretations of Orpheus and Izanagi.

Mediking

considering futaba gets costumes, I wonder how much more of a role in dungeons she will play than past navigators. Rise showed up for assists in golden, but you couldnt change her costume. If Futaba has costumes for just that it would be pretty lame

Or maybe costume selection extends beyond dungeons now.

Also if Futaba has costume selection, will she have other equipment?

Also, I got woofycakes to draw Marie at combo breaker, conveniently he posted a pic on twitter
https://twitter.com/woofycakes/status/737032706333249537

If we can wear costumes outside of dungeons.... Joker might just wear Minato's costume for the entire game. Lol

godisntheradio

Neo Member
did they ever release something like an official songbook for persona songs?

there's so many songs i would like to learn and i like to have songbooks

That's the difference. Haru has a 50/50 straight-out-of-the-90s part.

I wonder if that's the idea...

Haru's design feels like it came from Soejima drawing her thief getup first, with the hat. Her hair looks fine with the hat on, but when it's off, it really looks weird.

Anyway, makes sense: She's supposed to be really unassuming given that she's the daughter of a wealthy family and supposedly keeps her distance from people.

You see, it's stuff like this that makes me appreciate Haru more over time.

Lunar15

Haru's design feels like it came from Soejima drawing her thief getup first, with the hat. Her hair looks fine with the hat on, but when it's off, it really looks weird.

Anyway, makes sense: She's supposed to be really unassuming given that she's the daughter of a wealthy family and supposedly keeps her distance from people.

Sophia

I actually like Haru's normal appearance a lot. I also like the contrast between the bold, confident person we see as a thief, and the ladylike woman we see out of it.

Yeah, it's clear that Haru was designed with the dichotomy between her thief and day-to-day personas at the forefront. I just wish she had a more contemporary styled haircut.

They're good for your brain

whatever that means. :p

Her plain-clothes look screams "precious and unassuming". She looks very proper and innocent, which is in direct contrast to her thief persona, where she boasts about how she's beautiful and seems keen enough to get into this whole thief thing on her own.

I still don't love the design, but it definitely has thought behind it.

Hmmmm... now why does that sound familiar...?

If nothing else, giving yourself fancy titles will probably go over much better than a repeated manic laughter gag by the third spinoff. :p

Lunar15

I wonder if that's the idea...

You see, it's stuff like this that makes me appreciate Haru more over time.

Her plain-clothes look screams "precious and unassuming". She looks very proper and innocent, which is in direct contrast to her thief persona, where she boasts about how she's beautiful and seems keen enough to get into this whole thief thing on her own.

I still don't love the design, but it definitely has thought behind it.

Top Bottom