• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

The spoiler situation is gonna be a real ordeal. It's a shame that the dream of a big splash with an international, near simultaneous release was always but a dream. I was absolutely convinced of 2016 as opposed to semi-doubting like with 2015, though I started to get more and more uncertain after recent Atlus USA localization announcements (time interval between OSL's JP and NA release, same with SMT IV: A presumably in September, them handling Tokyo Mirage Sessions...).

I'd exchange all that for Persona 5 in September. 'Course, that's sadly not how things work.

Do you guys think they'll say anything at all about Europe?

I think I might end up committing more time to learning Japanese and get the PS3 version when it comes out in Japan. Then I'll get the US version most likely for the PS4 (if I'll have bought it by then)

Strimei

Well, I'm already dodging spoilers for Song of Ice & Fire/Game of Thrones, and will be for god knows how long (I don't really like the show, I just want the books), so I'm already getting used to being careful.

Still, highly disappointed. I'll admit, I don't know how much work truly goes into localizing (I mean, I'm sure its a lot), and I had been wondering over the past few weeks with the latest trailer and game shots how difficulty it might be to translate all the little text and whatnot, but still, I'd have imagined they'd be working on this stuff already and for a while, surely.

Honestly, I feel like releasing it nearly half a year later is a real misstep.

Do you guys think they'll say anything at all about Europe?

I think I might end up committing more time to learning Japanese and get the PS3 version when it comes out in Japan. Then I'll get the US version most likely for the PS4 (if I'll have bought it by then)

At least Hardin knows about us

John Hardin @ 2015 ‏@JohnLHardin
For those asking about EU: No news, but we know you're thirsty for it and other ATLUS/SEGA titles.

Don't Panic.

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/740211983283195909

Sophia

The spoiler situation is gonna be a real ordeal. It's a shame that the dream of a big splash with an international, near simultaneous release was always but a dream. I was absolutely convinced of 2016 as opposed to semi-doubting like with 2015, though I started to get more and more uncertain after recent Atlus USA localization announcements (time interval between OSL's JP and NA release, same with SMT IV: A presumably in September, them handling Tokyo Mirage Sessions...).

I'd exchange all that for Persona 5 in September. 'Course, that's sadly not how things work.

I don't think it's going to be a real ordeal for this thread at least. It's not like someone can "accidentally" post a spoiler as it is painfully obvious what is official Atlus material and what isn't. That being said, there probably should be a warning in the spoiler rules discussion because we all know people have had accidents in the past for whatever reason.

And yeah, I would gladly trade the other stuff for a simultaneous release. But at least it's coming out at a good time for me in NA as is.

Believe in Hardin. #Believe

So, seems like the only P5 thing in Dengeki is a mention that there will be P5 info in the next issue of Dengeki, which would be expected with that being after E3.

Wonder if the last mention was a mistake then. It did seem a bit odd that we'd be getting something at this time.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think it's going to be a real ordeal for this thread at least. It's not like someone can "accidentally" post a spoiler as it is painfully obvious what is official Atlus material and what isn't. That being said, there probably should be a warning in the spoiler rules discussion because we all know people have had accidents in the past for whatever reason.

I 100% guarantee you that even this thread won't be safe.

So, seems like the only P5 thing in Dengeki is a mention that there will be P5 info in the next issue of Dengeki, which would be expected with that being after E3.

Wonder if the last mention was a mistake then. It did seem a bit odd that we'd be getting something at this time.

I had been wondering about that; actually, that's the main thing that made me rush out the door after my power had been cut. It always did seem weird that there'd be an unveiling immediately prior to E3, so this makes more sense. Sokuho@hokanko is usually good about these things, so I imagine they really did take what was said from DPS before... but yeah, might have misinterpreted it.

Mediking

Dodging spoilers is gonna be tough... might not see me in this thread as we get closer to the Japanese release. Might say hey in the Japanese Import OT thread but I won't be in that thread for long. One day we'll get a worldwide release of Persona. One day!

Sophia

I don't doubt it. Someone will get careless. It always happens. Even I've almost slipped up at times, although I've usually caught myself.

The best thing we can do is warn people on total blackout, be diligent about (kindly!) PM people who do post spoilers, and let the mods handle repeat offenders/remove spoilers as they see em.

I think a good rule of thumb, and my personal rule on it going forward would be "Did you get the information from an official atlustube video? If you didn't, it needs to be in spoiler tags."

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

It was easier to deal with back for P3 and even P4 as there were less users around (particularly around P3's launch), and we only had dedicated game threads back then (for both the JP releases and the western) and no community threads yet.

People truly worried about spoilers would just have to go on media blackout and avoid any Persona related thread until US release.

Strimei

Hardin just tweeted this in response to maybe getting the Japanese voice track: "We're trying to investigate options."

So...could happen?

Lunar15

It was easier to deal with back for P3 and even P4 as there were less users around (particularly around P3's launch), and we only had dedicated game threads back then (for both the JP releases and the western) and no community threads yet.

People truly worried about spoilers would just have to go on media blackout and avoid any Persona related thread until US release.

Honestly, I might just avoid GAF all together.

Also, +1 vote for Winter 2014

Strimei

So...tinfoil hat theory.

Could the thieves "steal back" the date and have it end up being worldwide? Have it shown during Sony's conference?

I admit its a bit silly of me to think and like, 99% unlikely, but...well, remember me if this happens.

Lunar15

So...tinfoil hat theory.

Could the thieves "steal back" the date and have it end up being worldwide? Have it shown during Sony's conference?

I admit its a bit silly of me to think and like, 99% unlikely, but...well, remember me if this happens.

Let's stick with 99.999999% impossible.

FluxWaveZ

So...tinfoil hat theory.

Heh, it sounds like you weren't there when the Summer 2016 delay happened. Mass disbelief and denial made this the EXACT running theory for the entirety of TGS 2015 until the event was over.

In short: no, that is not 99% unlikely, it's 100%. It really is the manifestation of the stage of grief.

Started here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=179120717#post179120717

Kudo

Hardin just tweeted this in response to maybe getting the Japanese voice track: "We're trying to investigate options."

So...could happen?

Please God, Buddha and all other Gods let this become true. I really want to play the PS4 version of the game.
I will pay any amount, just make it DLC or something.

Strimei

Heh, it sounds like you weren't there when the Summer 2016 delay happened. Mass disbelief and denial made this the EXACT running theory for the entirety of TGS 2015 until the event was over.

In short: no, that is not 99% unlikely, it's 100%. It really is the manifestation of the stage of grief.

I've actually lurked here for like, years, actually, though only recently finally got an account. I had forgotten that people had done exactly that, haha.

History repeats, it seems, heh. Ah well. There's a metric ton of games coming out this year anyway, probably for the best, right?

QuadOpto

Welp. Being horribly sick and then waking up to this bombshell has kind of taken a crapper on my day. Regardless, I already put my reservation in to my local Gamestop for the Collector's Edition while I still could. Hopefully that DLC will at least be available in some way for us. (A nice little band-aid would be making them free. Rubbing salt in the wound would be making them store-exclusive)

I'm glad that they at least decided to get this out of the way now rather than just put it at the end of the undoubtedly new trailer we're getting, since that would have probably resulted in an even bigger meltdown than the one from TGS. It'll probably also make the trailer end on more of a high note now that we don't have to anticipate what the release date on the end of it will be.

Mediking

So...tinfoil hat theory.

Lmao the dream is dead. Let it go.

Makio

It is pretty surreal to have a month/date release date for P5 in NA. It's been a long road to this point.

Im still in shock.

Plus nice date with the whole "the phantom is going to take your heart this valentine" hehe.

Im more mad they not get the edition collection in PS3 more than the delay (i mean they do it with Odin Sphere) , but grateful as fuck they released in Ps3 anyway,

The only problem i got for spoilers is in Facebook and Youtube if i avoid those i will be fine.

(seriously consider to upgrade to ps4 this christmas)

So...could happen?

I don't know about everyone else, but if we got news that we're getting dual audio for this game, that'd lift some of the gloom off my shoulders. This game's Japanese cast is one that deserves to be showcased in all regions. Please, Atlus, get with the times at least on this
since you can't with shorter release gaps between different regions

Lunar15

So now that we have the date and pre-order details, do people still think P5 will have a significant presence at the Sony press conference? I never saw it before, and I definitely don't see it now.

So now that we have the date and pre-order details, do people still think P5 will have a significant presence at the Sony press conference? I never saw it before, and I definitely don't see it now.

Maybe it'll be in a sizzle reel? Or it'll be like at PSX 2014 where the logo is on screen while a presenter mentions it as a thing?

Makio

I dont see what they can show now in E3 besides a teasing trailer in their channel honestly i wasnt expecting a release date before the E3

they kinda spoil the "fun"

Lunar15

Maybe it'll be in a sizzle reel? Or it'll be like at PSX 2014 where the logo is on screen while a presenter mentions it as a thing?

I could see one of those two things. Sizzle real most likely. Either way, no way we're getting a full trailer or anything like that at this point.

Dantis

Well.

What a day. Or two days even.

In terms of E3, I'm super hyped for Soejima's stuff. Cannot wait. I'm really hoping that Atlus is able to get someone to film it for them.

Also those hats are boss, and I want one.

In terms of today. Well. I don't even know what to feel.
I'm happy that we have a solid release, but I'm surprised by how far away it is. It's so far that I'm seriously considering importing a JP copy at launch to tide me over.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind the date though. I don't think it's something we'll ever find out, but I'm not wholly convinced it was wise to release it so far away. I think some people are probably going to be very upset.
I think it's likely down to several factors. I'd imagine that it fits into Sega's game-plan somehow. I'd imagine that they were aiming for a less busy time of the year, away from games like FFXV. I'd also imagine that they're probably stretching themselves a little thin, and work localising other games has impacted how much time they have been able to devote to Persona 5.

I also think it's time to request an OT title change. ;)

So...tinfoil hat theory.

No chance. Virtually zero.

muteki

I dont see what they can show now in E3 besides a teasing trailer in their channel honestly i wasnt expecting a release date before the E3

they kinda spoil the "fun"

Subbed PV4 highlights in sony conference sizzle reel, subbed PV4 on loop in booth.

Makio

Subbed PV4 highlights in sony conference sizzle reel, subbed PV4 on loop in booth.

Right i kinda forgot this E3 is "important" for the japanese people too

My bet was PV03 dubbed , but since the game is 8 months away i really wonder when the voice acting starts at this point.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
So...tinfoil hat theory.

100% unlikely.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'd love to know the reasoning behind the date though. I don't think it's something we'll ever find out, but I'm not wholly convinced it was wise to release it so far away. I think some people are probably going to be very upset.
I think it's likely down to several factors. I'd imagine that it fits into Sega's game-plan somehow. I'd imagine that they were aiming for a less busy time of the year, away from games like FFXV. I'd also imagine that they're probably stretching themselves a little thin, and work localising other games has impacted how much time they have been able to devote to Persona 5.

There's a number of potential factors. One of which that often isn't discussed outside of game industry vets is the logistical one - Q4 is a very busy time of year for releases across all media, not just games. If you want shelf space, get time slotted and booked at disc replication facilities for the number of copies you want created, etc for the holiday timeframe you need to schedule all that waaay in advance and you have to commit to hitting those deadlines.

I've spent many a time in my career when we were trying to push towards RTM during certification, talking with producers and the mastering lab guys on the timing for uploading the gold master images to the replication facilities, the absolute drop dead date and time, etc. If you cannot be sure you can hit the window for Q4 early enough and cutting back development scope wasn't a realistic option, the call to push a release to Q1 would often happen.

Mediking

100% unlikely.

Well, well, well... look who has emerged from the TV World... :D I just got one question. I'm not not mad. I'm not bitter. Kinda disappointed but I got the CE from Amazon so I'm grinning again. My question... When are we gonna hear any English VA????

Top Bottom