• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lunar15

Can't wait to get a recommended video based on watching the Persona 5 intro with a description of the ending in the title and the final boss in the image. Happened with Witcher 3.

The final boss of The Witcher 3 is basically the subtitle of the game. Not much got spoiled there.

Zolo

The final boss of The Witcher 3 is basically the subtitle of the game. Not much got spoiled there.

Admittedly, the latter part didn't happen in the Witcher 3 as much as it was the title spoilering. It's more something I'd expect in a Persona 5 video where the boss may be someone you don't expect like
Izanami

Witcher 3 spoilers (not B&W):
I actually did get surprised that the one dude wasn't another boss.

MSMrRound

Almost had to wash my eyes out with bleach after reading that persora fella's Twitter posts.

Dude's just in self-denial and wouldn't take no for an answer. Geez.

_Ryo_

I wonder if there is still hope for playing this in English before next year...

Like if they to an English subbed Japanese audio version for Asia.

Almost had to wash my eyes out with bleach after reading that persora fella's Twitter posts.

Dude's just in self-denial and wouldn't take no for an answer. Geez.

Don't give them any attention. They don't have a grip on reality at all. It's not worth paying attention to someone who is unreasonable and will cover their ears like a child when they hear they're wrong

yami4ct

Disappointed by the 2017 date, but it is what it is. I'll have other games to fill the large hole in my heart. Collector's Edition looks great. Perhaps not quite as good as the Japanese one because the Soundtrack will almost certainly not be as substantial, but very good for the price.

Really, Really, Really hope they figure out Dual Audio. No offense to Atlus US dubs. They are probably the best in the business. The Japanese cast is just too amazing to pass up. Even if I have to pay something crazy like $20 to justify any extra cost of adding it in, I'm more than willing to do it.

The 8 month wait for P5 in English is what kills me the most, too. That's 2/3 of a full year. That's essentially 3 entire seasons away (summer, fall, winter). I don't have the patience to wait 8 months to play this game for the first time, so I'll be importing. Sure, I won't understand most of anything (I know very basic, rudimentary Japanese), but I'll be able to experience it and have it in my PS4 in September. And then I'll purchase the localised version in February.

Guilty as charged. I try to be civil and positive, but I'm human. I have bad days. People rustle my jimmies and I go off on them over email or twitter. I'm sure this is the exact opposite of what you'd learn in an academic class about PR/marekting, but my personal PR philosophy is that the more people recognize that you're actually human, the less abusive they get. (Esp. if you respond w/ a tirade of swears about their bullshit).

Right on, I mostly thought it was funny. And I tried to change dickish to fresh right away because I thought it was a more appropriate descriptor. But you might be on to something, because I think you are the only PR person I know by name in the industry other than a couple of NoA people.

PK Gaming

Wait, are people seriously trying to spin Hardin's attitude on twitter as dickish?

That is goddamn rich coming from a fanbase filled with people who love to vent their frustration in the most screwed up way, like that guy who tweeted "i'm going to kill Hardin at E3". Fuck that. If anything, the fact that Hardin actively responds on twitter, forums, reddit is more than we deserved. Everyone is quick to forget the awesome shit that AtlusUSA is always responsible for, but they'll always rail on them for "2015." Yeah "2015" and "2016" were bad PR moves, but whatever, they don't deserve the unending verbal abuse from their "fans."

Not even dickriding AtlusUSA. Just saying it like it is.

Wait, are people seriously trying to spin Hardin's attitude on twitter as dickish?

That is goddamn rich coming from a fanbase filled with people who love to vent their frustration in the most screwed up way, like that guy who tweeted "i'm going to kill Hardin at E3". Fuck that. If anything, the fact that Hardin actively responds on twitter, forums, reddit is more than we deserved. Everyone is quick to forget the awesome shit that AtlusUSA is always responsible for, but they'll always rail on them for "2015." Yeah "2015" and "2016" were bad PR moves, but whatever, they don't deserve the unending verbal abuse from their "fans."

Honestly, If I had his job, I'd be pretty sassy too. I mean jesus.

Setsu00

Death threats are stupid. Death threats over a delayed video game are probably the apex of stupidity.

Levito

Banned
Imagine if your job was to spend the day dealing with people as stupid as this:

CkXCOScUkAAzQNM.jpg

John goes above and beyond to interact with fans, so don't take that for granted.

Squire

Banned
Death threats are stupid. Death threats over a delayed video game are probably the apex of stupidity.

They are, but it should't even only apply to the extreme. There's no need to be shitty at any level, yet it's all too common. A lot of those people probably think "at least I'm NOT sending death threats", but it's the difference between bad and worse, honestly. Well articulated criticisms are rare. It's usually insults or snippy shitposting

Setsu00

They are, but it should't even only apply to the extreme. There's no need to be shitty at any level, yet it's all too common. A lot of those people probably think "at least I'm NOT sending death threats", but it's the difference between bad and worse, honestly. Well articulated criticisms are rare. It's usually insults or snippy shitposting

I agree with you and still, death threats are on another level of idiocy. That being said, you're completely right. People have to realize that any PR manager is a human being.

I glanced at it and I haven't seen anything even remotely dickish, but since this is The Internet I'm sure people have taken issue with something or other.

Squire

Banned
I agree with you and still, death threats are on another level of idiocy. That being said, you're completely right. People have to realize that any PR manager is a human being.

Yeah, I don't mean to dilute your point at all. I just think saying to yourself "well, I'm not THAT bad" is an easy trap to fall into, especially if you're frustrated or upset. You really don't need to threaten someone's life to shit up their day.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
"i'm going to kill Hardin at E3".

Wait, what?

And thanks for the kind words, but dickish (which he since changed...maybe I misinterpreted it initially?) is kinda apt. I've said some pretty shitty things to people on reddit, etc. I mean, I still stand by what I said to them, but it was pretty rough around the edges. A couple of complaints have been filed against me by the public. But you know what? ┐(ツ)┌

Can't stop, won't stop. Sorry not sorry.

Personally I would welcome a version of P5 where Morgana's head is floating in front of every awkward cleavage/butt shot. Fingers crossed for that as DLC.

Sophia

Wait, what?

And thanks for the kind words, but dickish (which he since changed...maybe I misinterpreted it initially?) is kinda apt. I've said some pretty shitty things to people on reddit, etc. I mean, I still stand by what I said to them, but it was pretty rough around the edges. A couple of complaints have been filed against me by the public. But you know what? ┐(ツ)┌

I don't think it's terribly apt. You've been very active at your job in regards to interacting with the public. In general you're also kind and pleasant when dealing with people who aren't being rude or unacceptable themselves. Yeah, there may have been one or two poorly worded posts in there that aren't acceptable of a PR, but hell if I'm gonna condemn a person for one mistake. :p

Put simply, I agree with PK.

Personally I would welcome a version of P5 where Morgana's head is floating in front of every awkward cleavage/butt shot. Fingers crossed for that as DLC.

Might as well retroactively offer it for Persona 3 and Persona 4 as well. Instead of a hotsprings scene, the image has been replaced by Morgana and Teddie. $10 DLC. :p

People don't get that's so Morgana can fit on the box cover and be in relatively the same area?

Well, John Hardin clarified that after quoting the Destructoid article that implied censorship.
Then a good deal of us put Destructoid on blast for trying to get people riled up.

So yes, I'm sure most of us are quite aware.

Might as well retroactively offer it for Persona 3 and Persona 4 as well. Instead of a hotsprings scene, the image has been replaced by Morgana and Teddie. $10 DLC. :p

I'd honestly consider that an improvement, but I'm probably just being a grump about those scenes.

Zolo

Damn! I haven't been to Dtoid in a LONG time, but I didn't think they put out trash articles like that.

I'm also not really familiar with PR reps and such, but Hardin seems to do a good job. The only negative was the "2015" thing, and it didn't go over too badly this time since we didn't really have any "2016" stuff aside from initial press releases. Much, much better than from what I've seen of NoA who seem to only communicate through press releases and canned responses that look like they came out of a textbook of 'How to say thing that could mean multiple things'. I'm guessing NoA isn't really a high benchmark though.

yami4ct

Well, I'd honestly consider that an improvement, but I'm probably just being a grump about those scenes.

Eh. I'm with you. I have no issue with some fanservice here and there (and enjoy it on many occasions, to be honest), but the hotspring scenes in Persona games are mostly flops. They just feel overly manipulative in context. The don't add anything and just don't feel necessary. The bathhouse scene in P4G is especially egregious.

Zolo

I didn't mind the P3 one, but that one seemed more emphasized on the comedy. I guess the one in OG P4 was too......the comedy just fell flat for me.

Well, John Hardin clarified that after quoting the Destructoid article that implied censorship.
Then a good deal of us put Destructoid on blast for trying to get people riled up.

So yes, I'm sure most of us are quite aware.

Oh I didn't even know about the Destructoid article. Good on people for shutting that down. It was pretty obvious though if you took a moment to study the cover.

Eh. I'm with you. I have no issue with some fanservice here and there (and enjoy it on many occasions, to be honest), but the hotspring scenes in Persona games are mostly flops. They just feel overly manipulative in context. The don't add anything and just don't feel necessary. The bathhouse scene in P4G is especially egregious.

I honestly liked Golden's scene the most because it was restricted to a single cutscene with no aftermath.

neoemonk

I should probably know this but is the PS4 region free? I took a year of Japanese in college. That should totally be fine for this game right?

Guess Who

Banned
the biggest thing i remember about the hot springs scene in p4 is that i played it in pcsx2 and i had, i think, antialiasing on? and the fog effects in the hot spring made the framerate drop like a rock until i turned AA off so the whole thing happened in slow motion and it was really surreal.

hhhhheeeeeeyyyyyy nnnnnaaaaaaooootttttttooooooo, yyyyooooooouuuuuurrrrrr sssssskkkkkkiiiiiiiiiinnnn iiiissss sssssssssoooooooo sssssssooooooooffffffffft

Squire

Banned
Damn! I haven't been to Dtoid in a LONG time, but I didn't think they put out trash articles like that.

I'm also not really familiar with PR reps and such, but Hardin seems to do a good job. The only negative was the "2015" thing, and it didn't go over too badly this time since we didn't really have any "2016" stuff aside from initial press releases. Much, much better than from what I've seen of NoA who seem to only communicate through press releases and canned responses that look like they came out of a textbook of 'How to say thing that could mean multiple things'. I'm guessing NoA isn't really a high benchmark though.

D'toid is pretty bad the past couple years. And on life support. They really do need the hits.

PK Gaming

Reminder that the P4 dungeon conversations are god tier.

Yukiko + Yosuke

Yukiko: I made sure to pray for everyone at the temple, so I’m sure the heavens will bless us all.
Yosuke: Yukiko! You’re such a good person!
Yukiko: Oh, I forgot to pray for Yosuke-kun.
Yosuke: Huh!? I-I take that back!
Yukiko: *chuckle* I’m just kidding. You’re important to me too, Yosuke-kun…
Yosuke: Whoa…my world’s turning upside-down.

Yosuke: Hey, [Name]… Even Yukiko says I’m turning into Teddie…
Yukiko: Th-That wasn’t it! I just thought the two of you made a great team!
Yosuke: Does that mean we’re on the same level!? How cruel! Is that how you think of me, Yuki-chan!?
Yukiko: Huh, Teddie!? Was that you!?
Yosuke: …Did I really sound like him?

Yosuke: ……Oh, sorry… I was just thinking. I need to get focused… Gotta concentrate on exploring this place…
Yukiko: Yosuke-kun… If you want to talk, I’m always willing to listen, okay?
Yosuke: Oh… S-Sorry for making you worry… It’s not your fault, Yukiko. It’s just… I don’t really understand myself…

Yosuke: I said that you’re special, but… I wonder if I really am an equal match for you…
Yukiko: ……I don’t mean to change the subject to myself, but… I feel like… friendship isn’t only fun and games.
Yukiko: You might think awful things about them… But your love for them is stronger than those things. That’s why you’re friends. I don’t know what you’re going through, Yosuke-kun…
Yukiko: But if [Name]-kun is important to you, aren’t you friends?
Yosuke: Yukiko… Thanks.

Yosuke + Kanji

Yosuke: Oh yeah, thanks for jumping in to help out part-time! You really were a life saver!
Kanji: I just heard about that from him a moment ago, but… [Name]-senpai, don’t you spoil Yosuke-senpai a little?
Yosuke: Not half as much as he spoils you…

Too lazy to post more, lol

Squire

Banned
Got a feeling there's gonna be alotta:

"You grinned mischievously."

In theory the higher fidelity let's them cut way way down on descriptive language like that. There's no need to put that in text form when I'm looking right at an animated model.

Mediking

In theory the higher fidelity let's them cut way way down on descriptive language like that. There's no need to put that in text form when I'm looking right at an animated model.

"Ryuji asks for your opinion on breaking into a bank"

".............."

"You grinned mischievously."

Hahahaha! But yeah, I understand you.

ar4757

Wait, what?

The only thing that needs to be said

Lunar15

Persona 4 dungeon conversations are where almost 50% of the character development comes from. When people say the cast don't interact enough, I'm always sad that a lot of those types of scenes are in the game, just really hard to find.

The 8 month wait for P5 in English is what kills me the most, too. That's 2/3 of a full year. That's essentially 3 entire seasons away (summer, fall, winter). I don't have the patience to wait 8 months to play this game for the first time, so I'll be importing. Sure, I won't understand most of anything (I know very basic, rudimentary Japanese), but I'll be able to experience it and have it in my PS4 in September. And then I'll purchase the localised version in February.

I'm going to try and stay strong. Probably will go total blackout to avoid any new info.

tumblr_o1fye1Tr5H1qda6uso1_r1_500.gif

Zolo

Persona 4 dungeon conversations are where almost 50% of the character development comes from. When people say the cast don't interact enough, I'm always sad that a lot of those types of scenes are in the game, just really hard to find.

This would require me to visit the dungeon more than 11 times.

I'm still waiting for amazon.ca to get their listing up, hopefully they do it soon so I can have peace of mind.

I'm curious to see what this extra localization time means for the lip flaps, if anything. It'd be pretty cool if scenes like this one got redone to fit the English voices.

I'm still waiting for amazon.ca to get their listing up, hopefully they do it soon so I can have peace of mind.

I'm curious to see what this extra localization time means for the lip flaps, if anything. It'd be pretty cool if scenes like this one got redone to fit the English voices.

P5's engine SHOULD allow them to change the mouths to match the english audio. It's a pretty common thing in general. It generally depends on whether or not cutscenes are done in the engine or are pre-rendered.

daevious

P5's engine SHOULD allow them to change the mouths to match the english audio. It's a pretty common thing in general. It generally depends on whether or not cutscenes are done in the engine or are pre-rendered.

This is important because I feel as though half the reason the dubs for P3 & P4 were so good was because teh voice actors didn't have to lip-synch too often.

Did Catherine change lip-flaps for the English version or were they left as is, because I'm not too sure about that.

Top Bottom