• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

It seems like Atlus really hates my money. They are literally making sure that I won't be around to play this thing with all these delays. Well, that's a shame. First, let me avoid any misunderstanding right now and say that I have two years of mandatory army service ahead of me in the coming months and I'm talking about that.

Originally, I was supposed to go earlier this year so back in 2015 I always thought of Persona 5 as one of my few last games that I get to enjoy before leaving gaming for a long while. By the time we were getting close to TGS I was beginning to get a little worried whether the game would actually make it this (last) year or not, but then Atlus kept on confirming that we have nothing to worry about and particularly Hardin here confirmed on more than one occasion that Persona 5 will be released in 2015.

So, you can only imagine how I felt when on one evening I went to work just to find out that not only Persona 5 has been delayed and won't release in 2015 but it's been pushed back all the way to Summer 2016 when at the time, I thought it would be impossible for me to play it. I was seriously in shock for a couple of minutes and when the reality finally set in I was furious at Atlus and especially Hardin for giving me false hope about the prospect of playing Persona 5 before having to leave for army. I could have deal with a normal delay but that false hope is what made the P5 situation really hurt.

Fast forward a few months, 2016 came around and by some unforeseen turn of events which were nothing short of a miracle (or incompetency of my university, depending on how you look at things) the time that I had to go to army was pushed back by months (possibly a year). So, here I was once again with the possibility of being able to play the Persona 5 before leaving for army, but this time I kept my expectations in check. After the Japanese release date and the (fake) rumors about worldwide release I was beginning to get a little hopeful but thankfully this time Atlus USA did the right thing and told us about the delay before we had gotten our hopes too high. It still hurts to know that I won't be able to play P5 before I leave (again), but at least this time I can deal with it better.

Anyways, I just wanted to say sorry to Hardin if I've been too hard on him (or Atlus USA for that matter) and to all of you guys if I have been a little too pessimistic in this thread or other Persona related threads. I shouldn't have taken my personal frustration out on any of you guys, so for that, I am sorry.

It's more than likely that I'll have to leave for army come 2017 (or even before that) so I won't be able to join in on the party with you guys when Persona 5 finally releases but hopefully I'll be able to enjoy both Persona 5 and DMC5 when I come back sometimes around 2019. It'll still hurt to watch how awesome P5 looks in future trailers and footage knowing that I won't be able to play it anytime soon, but hey I'll eventually get to play it, right? :)

Lunar15

Nothing could have changed when it came out. The only thing that could have changed was when they first announced it. It's a real big shame they announced it as early as they did. Bigger shame that you're not going to be around to play it, dude. Totally get the disappointment.

God fucking dammit.

Yes, but this means there will be some new info at E3.

PK Gaming

Head a joke once

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Persona 5 is coming out soon. Go and play it when it comes out. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I'm from Europe."

Guess Who

Banned

If I had to guess they probably redid the lip flaps on the in-game cutscenes but not the anime ones.

I know some modern game engines make it pretty easy to redo lip syncing without having to involve animators (there's even ways to do audio analysis and have lip-flaps automagically generated). We don't know a lot of details about the engine P5 is running on but I'm sure a feature like that would help a lot in localization. One of the best things about the P4 dub is that, since most of it plays out like a visual novel, the actors didn't have to worry about lip flaps and could just deliver their lines totally naturally, so it'd be nice if they can recapture that.

Nothing could have changed when it came out. The only thing that could have changed was when they first announced it. It's a real big shame they announced it as early as they did. Bigger shame that you're not going to be around to play it, dude. Totally get the disappointment.
Thanks man, it means a lot.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Head a joke once

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Persona 5 is coming out soon. Go and play it when it comes out. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I'm from Europe."

Everybody laugh.

Hrm.

I don't know enough about deployment, but there's no way you can get games sent to you and play them during downtime?
Unfortunately that's not possible. I don't think I'll even have access to internet either so coming to Gaf or even following other gaming related events would not be feasible.

Though, on the bright side I should have a lot of (good) surprises waiting for me when I get back. So, I'll at least have something to look forward to.

i hope that means that e3 will actually, like, have a gameplay stream or talk about the game systems

(yes i know the dev interview from 5/5 had some interface stuff, but it'd be neat to have them actually sit down and say "ok, this is how this works")

Lunar15

i hope that means that e3 will actually, like, have a gameplay stream or talk about the game systems

(yes i know the dev interview from 5/5 had some interface stuff, but it'd be neat to have them actually sit down and say "ok, this is how this works")

It'll just be a write up about the Q&A sessions with Soejima.

Nah, I think we actually have a chance to see some dungeon gameplay.

Man, I am so salty about not going.

yuuki

It seems like Atlus really hates my money. They are literally making sure that I won't be around to play this thing with all these delays. Well, that's a shame. First, let me avoid any misunderstanding right now and say that I have two years of mandatory army service ahead of me in the coming months and I'm talking about that.

but is it really mandatory in you country? if so in which one do you live?

Most countries i know of allow a civilic alternative.

Didn't IGN jump the gun on mentioning there being a gameplay demo?

They did, but the writer then retracted it saying that he had speculated. Apparently, all they knew for sure was what the badge looked like. So I dunno.

I'm not expecting any gameplay myself, but I'd love to be wrong.

I dunno, e3 last year was the first time we saw TMS#FE gameplay/explanations*, so it could happen.

*ok, like, obviously we saw some gameplay in the initial trailer, but this was when they sat down and started explaining things

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, e3 last year was the first time we saw TMS#FE gameplay/explanations*, so it could happen.

*ok, like, obviously we saw some gameplay in the initial trailer, but this was when they sat down and started explaining things

In the saga that is Persona 5, I'm sure you know what's happened 80% of the time people have had grand expectations for something in regards to information.

In the saga that is Persona 5, I'm sure you know what's happened 80% of the time people have had grand expectations for something in regards to information.

You right, but now we've actually seen the game, know it exists, and have a definite, committed release date that's only a few months away (in Japan). Which, well, this is a very different scenario than November 2013.

But you're right, it may just be a subbed version of some previous trailers. :(

Tbh the 3D demon models are something I'm excited for, because now that they have those assets it hopefully means more SMT/spinoff games will make use of them. And that can go a long way to making the compendiums feel less repetitious, you know? (Though what would help more is if Doi and Soejima and Kaneko's propped up corpse sat down and did a lot of new demon / designs).

Lunar15

There's a lot of evidence that points to this game having some kind of demo, or at the very least, a presentation of live gameplay on the show floor.

That said, it's as Flux put it: Too many times have people expected the world from Atlus only to be burned in the end. It's far safer to assume that any "evidence" we have is wishful thinking.

"More guests" make me think this is possible, but 5 months past the Japanese release for the localized version makes me not think this is possible.

They had the Japanese cast at events over a year ago. And I feel like they'll have something of the localisation to show, going off the PS Blog comment.

Lunar15

They had the Japanese cast at events over a year ago. And I feel like they'll have something of the localisation to show, going off the PS Blog comment.

Of course they had the Japanese voice actors a long time ago. Localization is a different story, and as we've seen, Atlus USA doesn't exactly get everything super-early.

However, one point in favor of the dub being at E3 is that the press release about the delay to 2017 notes that they'll show us how much "level of detail" there is in the game. Could be referring to how the dub's coming along, but that's a huge long shot.

PK Gaming

I'm 63% confident that we'll be getting dub voices at E3

63! Good enough odds to kill a boss that can one hit kill you in Fire Emblem!

Makio

I'm 63% confident that we'll be getting dub voices at E3

For some reason i think is a little early they started to dub the game already , but they always had the lines for the trailer already and starts properly the game dub this month or next.

Seeing how early they got Dancing All Night dubbed.

(But then again was that Valerie Arem teasing tweet back in March but that's reading to things too much).

For me 52%

Of course they had the Japanese voice actors a long time ago. Localization is a different story, and as we've seen, Atlus USA doesn't exactly get everything super-early.

However, one point in favor of the dub being at E3 is that the press release about the delay to 2017 notes that they'll show us how much "level of detail" there is in the game. Could be referring to how the dub's coming along, but that's a huge long shot.

The comment about the level of detail in the localization makes me interested, but considering how far out it still is, I don't know how much they'll realistically have to show.

Having the dub actors as guests would be cool, but considering that union rules can be very unusual for Atlus projects, I don't see that happening either. But I'm always wrong, so who knows!

There's also the sales PR:

Past tense :p

Ok, maybe that's reading a bit too much into things.
I forgot about this though. Maybe they're not going to be as secretive about the voice actors after all?

Makio

> Get P5 Voice Actors as guests.
> Wendee Lee & Yuri Lowenthal takes the stage with Hardin
> She voice the main females characters and Yuri voices the guys plus Morgana.

Callin it now.....
But more realistic Matt Mercer is going to voice someone , that guy is in everything right now (new Troy Baker i told you)

(i love them but jesus give me at least 9 new actors for the main chars)

and
Carrie Keranen
for Makoto pls based god and some Cristina Vee in the mix (Haru / Sakura maybe)

Lunar15

The comment about the level of detail in the localization makes me interested, but considering how far out it still is, I don't know how much they'll realistically have to show.

In all honesty, it could just be that they're going to show off the game and we'll just "see" how detailed it is. The link between it and a dub is so extremely tenuous, I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Top Bottom