• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Nachos

Goro's a party member?!!!!!!!!! I thought he was an antagonist???????

He even gets shafted in the OP, although Makoto and Haru don't get that much more time there either.
Should've used, like, three times as much punctuation, but then again, people might've just thought you were three times as enthused.

jzbluz

Well, if we somehow get another version of Persona 5 with a Female MC side...but at the moment...probably not?

I know P4 got praised for the writing regarding Kanji and Naoto regarding
sexuality and gender
issues but I really don't know why some people are still going on with the idea of dating the same sex.

I'm all for equality and all, but I don't think people should expect Atlus to do that just because they have touched *slightly* on the issue in the past
and even scrapped what seemed like a Yosuke route
and add things just for the sake of adding stuff.

Most people assumed that Yusuke was the gay option due to his slight resemblance to Jun, the gay option from P2.

latest

Dating wasn't as big as deal in P2 like P3 and P4, but apparently Jun/Tatsuya was Kaneko's favorite pairing and even Satomi Tadashi liked it. Neither of them are involved in P5 (except maybe Kaneko), but it's not that big of a stretch to think that Atlus would try again.

PK Gaming

I'm all for equality and all, but I don't think people should expect Atlus to do that just because they have touched *slightly* on the issue in the past
and even scrapped what seemed like a Yosuke route
and add things just for the sake of adding stuff.

Bruh

I've seen all sorts of expectations and potential desires brought up for Persona 5 and they mostly fly without resistance. But the minute someone brings up the possibility of same sex relationships, there's always a flood of people coming in to voice their concerns. "Yeah it would be pretty cool, but they shouldn't go out of their way to do it" or "I don't see what the big deal is." Or even "I don't give a fuck." with the obvious subtext being "I'm satisfied with the ability to fuck waifus, I don't care about the desires of other people and it annoys me when they complain."

I mean come on man. "For the sake of adding stuff?" You do realize how monumental it would be if P5 could let date guys, right? Even Fire Emblem: Fates, in all its assbackwards implementation same sex marriages, still had them. Shit, you talk about how Persona has only *slightly* touched on the issue, but you could straight up be in a relationship with Jun in Persona 2. It was a big deal back then and it's still a big deal now.

I know P4 got praised for the writing regarding Kanji and Naoto regarding
sexuality and gender
issues but I really don't know why some people are still going on with the idea of dating the same sex.

Because everyone wants a slice of the pie, not just straight dudes. Shit, I'm 100% heterosexual and the possibility of dating Yusuke excites me more than dating pretty much any of the girls.

Should've used, like, three times as much punctuation, but then again, people might've just thought you were three times as enthused.

I already did go with three times as much as I thought I'd need.

Seems like Goro isn't even getting a TVCM, maybe they really will try to hide him as a party member until launch.

Skii

PK Gaming

DON'T recommend watching the first 18 minutes. Even if you aren't too fussed about spoilers like I am, the opening is very, very cool. You wouldn't want to spoil that.

Setsu00

DON'T recommend watching the first 18 minutes. Even if you aren't too fussed about spoilers like I am, the opening is very, very cool. You wouldn't want to spoil that.

To be fair, it's kind of reassuring to know that many of the cutscenes we were shown so far were from the opening sequence. I was getting worried that they would spoil too much, but that doesn't seem to be the case (so far anyway).

Zolo

And man, I seriously hope there are very little perv scenes in the game. That joke's been done to death in Japanese animation.

Since the game's coming out with a 16+ rating out the gate, it could technically be dialed up from what P3 and P4 (not Golden) had.

Because everyone wants a slice of the pie, not just straight dudes. Shit, I'm 100% heterosexual and the possibility of dating Yusuke excites me more than dating pretty much any of the girls.

Not even teacher maid?

MSMrRound

Even Fire Emblem: Fates, in all its assbackwards implementation same sex marriages, still had them. Shit, you talk about how Persona has only *slightly* touched on the issue, but you could straight up be in a relationship with Jun in Persona 2. It was a big deal back then and it's still a big deal now.

As one of those LTTP on the series, I only played P3FES and P4G so yea, you got me there since I didn't realize it's already a thing in P2.

Okay, just to clarify what I meant. Like I said, I'm cool with them adding them as long as it's well written and well executed and not "just there for the sake of being there". e.g while Fates had the option implemented, the game still generated a lot of outcry for what they perceived as censorship and what's not e.g the hoo-ha over changes to Soleil's lines, magic potions and other stuff until it reached a point where I thought, if they bothered to add these options, why do they had to change so much of the context and stuff just so that they can minimize potential backlash/outcry from various groups? In the end, it still created a lot of noise. If you wanna do it, just add the option, but don't do it half-hardheartedly! Might as well don't bother at all.

Don't really need that kind of drama to be brought over to the Persona series. That's what I mean. If they can pull it off without generating unnecessary hate and outcry, sure go ahead by all means. Chill. There's no need to jump at my throat like that.

Zolo

Crime and Drugs are the reasons given for the rating.

Ah. It might actually be better than P4 Golden than.

I for one am surprised to learn Persona 5 has crime in it.

As one of those LTTP to the series, I only played P3FES and P4G so yea, you got me there since I didn't realize it's already a thing in P2.

Okay, just to clarify what I meant. Like I said, I'm cool with them adding them as long as it's well written and well executed and not "just there for the sake of being there". e.g while Fates had the option implemented, the game still generated a lot of outcry for what they perceived as censorship and what's not e.g the hoo-ha over changes to Soleil's lines, magic potions and other stuff until it reached a point where I thought, if they bothered to add these options, why do they had to change so much of the context and stuff just so that they can minimize potential backlash/outcry from various groups? In the end, it still created a lot of noise. If you wanna do it, just add the option, but don't do it half-hardheartedly! Might as well don't bother at all.

Don't really need that kind of drama to be brought over to the Persona series. That's what I mean. If they can pull it off without generating unnecessary hate and outcry, sure go ahead by all means. Chill. There's no need to jump at my throat like that.
I'm sure people will find some of the current romance options not well written, so that's not really a good excuse.

Setsu00

Ah. It might actually be better than P4 Golden than.

I for one am surprised to learn Persona 5 has crime in it.

I'm sure people will find some of the current romance options not well written, so that's not really a good excuse.

Some of the romance options are simply bad, especially in P3 where they force every female S.Link into a romantic relationship. Naoto is another major offender.

PK Gaming

I only played P3 and P4 so yea, you got me there since I didn't realize it's already a thing in P2.

Okay, just to clarify what I meant. Like I said, I'm cool with them adding them as long as it's well written and well executed and not "just there for the sake of being there". e.g while Fates had the option implemented, the game still generated a lot of outcry for what they perceived as censorship and what's not e.g the hoo-ha over changes to Soleil's lines, magic potions and other stuff until it reached a point where I thought, if they bothered to add these options, why do they had to change so much of the context and stuff just so that they can minimize potential backlash/outcry from various groups? Might as well don't bother at all.

Don't really need that kind of drama to be brought over to the Persona series. That's what I mean. If they can pull it off without generating unnecessary hate and outcry, sure go ahead by all means. Chill. There's no need to jump down my throat like that.

Some of the existing romance routes (ie: Naoto) are poorly written, but people still enjoy them for the fundamental reason that is dating your idealized waifu. Like, i'm not sure why the "i'm cool as long as its written well!" phrase gets thrown around when talking about gay relationships. I'm cool if its in, period. That step alone would be a big deal for tons of people.

And man, you completely, completely, completely, completely, completely missed the point in regards to the Fates controversy. I don't even want to talk about Soleil because she's another thing entirely. The same sex characters in Fates were pretty tropey, but I still appreciated the fact that they were options to begin with. The "might as well not bother" mentality is extremely ass backwards. Instead, you should be saying "they should work harder at making them better."

P-studio could pull it off. I genuinely believe that.

MSMrRound

The "might as well not bother" mentality is extremely ass backwards.

Urgh. You seem to be still misunderstanding a bit on where I stand.

I'm for all options.

I don't mean it as

-but "writing for same-sex marriage sucks! Just take it off to save your company PR trouble!"

so I'm definitely not trying to think backwards but rather more like, while options are certainly nice to have, I don't think people should be content with JUST having the option available. I don't quite agree with the opinion. If you have it available, make sure it works, not just implement it for the sake for appeasing people who are asking for it.

Don't add something that's only at face value.

If the options are available, I want to try it as well. Impress me with your character building and stuff. Don't add this option to your game just because you thought it would be nice to.

Having choices are nice, but why settle for less? You are a consumer. When you are paying for something you should get your value worth. E.g if a game have both a male and female option or whatsoever, I expect lots of effort to be put in EQUALLY into both sides. Heck, P3P didn't add a female MC just because they thought "would be nice to have the option", but rather reworked social links and what's not and went the whole hog.

That's what I'm trying to mean. Apologies if it isn't coming through. Not the best at putting my thoughts into writing, especially when it's approach 3AM here >.>

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
In ya'll's opinion, what do you think is the best written romance in the entire Persona franchise? Yep, even P1 and P2. Also P3P while we're at it. Just curious.

Zolo

Urgh. You seem to be still misunderstanding a bit on where I stand.

I'm for all options.

I don't mean it as

-but "writing for same-sex marriage sucks! Just take it off to save your company PR trouble!"

so I'm definitely not trying to think backwards but rather more like, while options are certainly nice to have, I don't think people should be content with JUST having the option available. I don't quite agree with the opinion. If you have it available, make sure it works, not just implement it for the sake for appeasing people who are asking for it.

Don't add something that's only at face value.

If the options are available, I want to try it as well. Impress me with your character building and stuff. Don't add this option to your game just because you thought it would be nice to.

Having choices are nice, but why settle for less? You are a consumer. When you are paying for something you should get your value worth. E.g if a game have both a male and female option or whatsoever, I expect lots of effort to be put in EQUALLY into both sides. Heck, P3P didn't add a female MC just because they thought "would be nice to have the option", but rather reworked social links and what's not and went the whole hog.

That's what I'm trying to mean. Apologies if it isn't coming through. Not the best at putting my thoughts into writing, especially when it's approach 3AM here >.>

The problem is that line of thinking will more often than not mean nothing. Especially for Japanese devs who don't see any reason for including it anyway. Even Fates only had it due to Nintendo being a more international company who care about the crap they'd been getting for not including it. Atlus, as has been consistenly seen, only care about Japan as far as their games go outside of it getting localized at some point.

In ya'll's opinion, what do you think is the best written romance in the entire Persona franchise? Yep, even P1 and P2. Also P3P while we're at it. Just curious.
Katsuya x Maya's probably my favorite (even if it doesn't work out).

PK Gaming

I'd like for it to be handled well, but I'm perfectly content with it being executed in a way that's similar to the other romance routes. I imagine the majority of the people who want same-sex relationships are the same way. You're making this into a bigger issue than it needs to be. Just let them into the party.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Of course, the old "gay options should only exist if they're written well" double standard, my favorite.

No shit people would like to see well written gay romance, but shit, just having gay romance period is a step up from nothing, and one point is better than zero.

giphy.gif

Of course, the old "gay options should only exist if they're written well" double standard, my favorite.

No shit people would like to see well written gay romance, but shit, just having gay romance period is a step up from nothing, and one point is better than zero. Holding onto that "high standard" only garbage basically means they typically never come.

EDIT: I forgot, I'm not reading this topic.

No shit people would like to see well written gay romance, but shit, just having gay romance period is a step up from nothing, and one point is better than zero. Holding onto that "high standard" only garbage basically means they typically never come.

EDIT: I forgot, I'm not reading this topic.

Stop coming in here then

Yeah, after that 15 minute video, I'm gonna be going on media blackout. Or at least trying to.

jzbluz

Not sure if they can be considered the most well written romance, buy my favorite pairing from the series is Tatsuya/Maya followed by Tatsuya/Jun. Speaking of P2, the Tatsuya/Maya ship
gets sunk hard due to Maya having to avoid Tatsuya so he won't regain his memories,
but does the same thing happen with Jun and Lisa?
Did P2 sunk every ship except Baofu/Ulala?

asagami_

Banned

I guess my favorite couples (in order) are Shinjiro and Female!MC, Ulala and Baofu and Junpei and Chidori. Just only one definitely is canon in its own game, other it's possible option (and the most canon it could be) and the last one is just
hinted at the end of the game lol

The P1 cast have terrible luck for romance
outside the group of friend, sorry Eriko, Maki and Ideal Maki.
For the contrary, P4 are terrible at romance for many reasons, but mostly due with how MC-centric is the game.

Zolo

Not sure if they can be considered the most well written romance, buy my favorite pairing from the series is Tatsuya/Maya followed by Tatsuya/Jun. Speaking of P2, the Tatsuya/Maya ship
gets sunk hard due to Maya having to avoid Tatsuya so he won't regain his memories,
but does the same thing happen with Jun and Lisa?
Did P2 sunk every ship except Baofu/Ulala?

The answer to the spoiler is yes unless you want to start doing headcanon.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
I guess my favorite couples (in order) are Shinjiro and Female!MC, Ulala and Baofu and Junpei and Chidori. Just only one definitely is canon in its own game, other it's possible option (and the most canon it could be) and the last one is just
hinted at the end of the game lol

The P1 cast have terrible luck for romance
outside the group of friend, sorry Eriko, Maki and Ideal Maki.
For the contrary, P4 are terrible at romance for many reasons, but mostly due with how MC-centric is the game.

Yeah, I hate how MC centric P4 is, as much I love P4. I seriously hope it doesn't happen with the P5 protagonist.

Dantis

The stuff with Goro is so bizarre. They've shown him as a party member, but now they're acting like they haven't.

We know he's there, Atlus. You're surprising nobody.

The stuff with Goro is so bizarre. They've shown him as a party member, but now they're acting like they haven't.

My guess it's that
he shows up after the point where the prologue covers. Like, maybe he joins the group after rescuing Protag. He's the only character who I don't hear during that part.
it all depends on how far into the story that part is chronologically. We know that he joins them, but the reason why might be too important to spoil.

Squire

Banned

*that follows all of your obtuse marketing very closely.

I like that not all of the characters are in the OP, too. It's smart to account for people that will just end up playing the game by chance.

Zolo

*that follows all of your obtuse marketing very closely.

I like that not all of the characters are in the OP, too. It's smart to account for people that will just end up playing the game by chance.

Player: It's neat how the detective's on the cover with all the other party members.

I'm sure there'll still be people who are surprised to see him join.

"Why are they giving me costume DLC for a charecter who isn't playable"

Hoping for a second OP to unlock later on, which focuses more on the other characters.

Zolo

I'm still hoping we get that dlc that's coming with Japanese anniversary edition for the collector's edition over here.

Squire

Banned
Player: It's neat how the detective's on the cover with all the other party members.

I'm sure there'll still be people who are surprised to see him join.

Definitely.

"Why are they giving me costume DLC for a charecter who isn't playable"

Hoping for a second OP to unlock later on, which focuses more on the other characters.

A lot of people open the box, put the disc in and ignore those codes. I'm just saying: Not everyone is an enthusiast. Some people do still just play games and let whatever may happen, happen.

A second OP would be nice.

MSMrRound

I'm still hoping we get that dlc that's coming with Japanese anniversary edition for the collector's edition over here.

I'm sure John and the team will try to find some way to work it into the Take Your Heart edition at the very least, or maybe their usual "first for the first week" thing?

Nachos

Bit late, but on one hand, I can see the argument MSMrRound is making, in certain contexts. In a character-driven story, one in which the player character has a defined, overt personality, throwing in features that contradict those characteristics is going to ring hollow. It won't be true to the character. That doesn't apply to P5 because Atlus is actively inviting the player to be the character. They're giving you so much agency that even though the Phantom has more of a presence in cutscenes and will have a set personality in the inevitable spin-offs, your sensibilities are still going to be a huge part of the character. If those can guide your slightly fancier (read: still glorified) avatar to pursue girls, then why not let them guide you towards the other path? There's so little personality that'll appear in the relevant contexts that there'll be nothing to contradict.

I'm sure that, hypothetically, there is a point where a gesture can be so token – so sloppily-done – that it becomes insulting. Unless they're shipping every copy with a sticky note with a stick figure Hulk Hogan on it, with instructions telling you to place it on top of the girls when you're dating them, it won't be an issue. Games are such that adding a feature and having it debugged well exceeds the minimum threshold for caring, and by that point, you might as well put some real effort in. Worst case scenario, it'd be just as bad as the girls' links, because let's be real: "only add it if it's done well" is an argument for purging most of the series' romances from existence.

Zolo

The thing is that Persona 5's still clearly made with straight guys in mind even if they make hot guys for the female demographic playing their games. This is why you have scenes of the protag checking out Anne without input from the player.

_Ryo_

I can't watch any of the videos so could someone please please type out summaries? I'm mainly interested in what happens in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Though summaries about all the new Co-Ops would be nice as well.

But if I had to choose, and if it's not to much the first 15 minutes is alright.

Also another question:

Is there any negative effects for
being suspended from school? I mean, doesn't that just mean you can spend your entire day in dungeons and skip social links? Would that appease people that dislike that part of Persona?

jzbluz

P4 managed to pander to both the straight male demographic and the fujoshi one, so at the very least I expect the same for P5.

Zolo

Is that exclusivity something they should aim for?

More referring to the agency players have over the player character, and how the protag's essentially canonically attracted to women due to the cutscenes. It's not a case where the devs considered the player may want the protagonist to be gay.

Setsu00

More referring to the agency players have over the player character, and how the protag's essentially canonically attracted to women due to the cutscenes. It's not a case where the devs considered the player may want the protagonist to be gay.

Bisexuality is a thing, you know.

Zolo

Bisexuality is a thing, you know.

In this case, I'm using gay = only attracted to men. In this case, the protagonist is either straight or bisexual due to the devs not imagining a situation where the player may want the protagonist to only be attracted to men or considering it negligible at least.

Am I alone in thinking that the MC never seems like he's ogling a girl? In the car, it just looks like he's looking at Anne, probably because Ryuji is making such a show of it. More of a "what's going on?" than a "that's hot."

Setsu00

Am I alone in thinking that the MC never seems like he's ogling a girl? In the car, it just looks like he's looking at Anne, probably because Ryuji is making such a show of it. More of a "what's going on?" than a "that's hot."

You're definitely not alone. The beach scene from the fourth trailer gave me the same idea. Yusuke and the protagonist look both kinda shocked, Anne is cool with everything and Ryuji is getting aroused.

Top Bottom