• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Setsu00

These are both drastically broader and more significant than someone's sexuality.

Well, yeah. I mean we don't know a lot about Yuki, but other than their incredibly similiar names, he and Yukio Mishima have in common that they were both politically active. Yuki is behind the Kaitou Onegai Channel website that's tracking the public opinion of the phantom thieves, so it's not like this is entirely about Yukio Mishima's sexuality.

Dantis

Well, yeah. I mean we don't know a lot about Yuki, but other than their incredibly similiar names, he and Yukio Mishima have in common that they were both politically active. Yuki is behind the Kaitou Onegai Channel website that's tracking the public opinion of the phantom thieves, so it's not like this is entirely about Yukio Mishima's sexuality.
It seems much more likely then that the similar naming begins and ends with political activity, surely?

Zolo

The thing is that with some of the S. links shown, it seems you can get a general idea of what direction they'll be heading. Teacher with a double life, idealist politician having a hard time, etc. With Yukio, his s. link obviously isn't going to be just about how great he thinks the thieves are or about the channel he made, so we don't really know as much what his problem is and why he wants to believe in the phantom thieves so much.

Setsu00

It seems much more likely then that the similar naming begins and ends with political activity, surely?

It's just speculation. I obviously don't have a copy of Persona 5 to check if there is indeed a bigger parallel between Yuki Mishima and Yukio Mishima, but I thought it was worth bringing up since we did just recently have a discussion about same sex relationships in Persona games. Mishima was first and foremost an author (and nominated three times for the Nobel prize, actually), and some of his stories seem to fit perfectly into Persona 5, most notably the aforementioned "Confessions of a Mask" that also doubles as one of his most famous works. The novel is about a homosexual man who has to hide behind a facade in order to fit into society, and a story like this would make perfect sense in P5.

I guess in the end it's important to keep in mind that you will always be able to connect to maybe completely unrelated things if you keep digging long enough.

Edit: Ah, and to bring up some examples that show that not every naming has to be meaningful. Igor and his "family" are based on Frankenstein, but none of them actually act like their namesake if I remember correctly.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Someone subbed the 18 minute opening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnMRYzYES3w

February is way way way way way way too far away. I want/need/crave/ it.

Some plot things
So yes there seems to be a traitor. Common sense says Goro, since we know he joins but ehh that's easy.

Also how weird is the voice in the beginning? What happens if you say no to it? Is that Igor's voice?

It's always someone selling you out.

Sophia

Looked around a bit for other interpretations of the opening lyrics, now that a full quality version of the song is out. Someone at TVTropes had it near perfect, save for one or two lines.

Who am I?
Am I not unique?
Maybe I'm not here at all...

Look, the fakers,
Blinding us with lies.
They'll break us all of a soul.

Oh, it's useless! (Do you know what to do, huh?)
What could it mean that we're here? (What does it all mean?)
Can we make a difference? (Can we really make that difference?)
If we don't break out of here?

Wake up, get up, get out there!
Raise your voice high just like us.
Feel the rhyme build up higher.
Why does nobody want change?

Just imagine you're out there,
Swatting lies in the making.
Can't move fast without breaking,
If you hold on, life won't change.

I'm pretty happy with how much we managed to get right with the old low quality stream rip tho. :D

It definitely shouldn't.

I have a suspicious feeling that Mementos are going to be really bad, though I'd love to be proven wrong on this one.

Pretty sure he's making a reference to Nocturne and it's requirement of beating the Amala Labyrinth to get the TDE.

Also, is there anything you havent had a suspicion is going to be bad? Seriously.....

Weiss

Banned
It is really difficult for me to stay hyped about P5, but... shit. That opening was really goddamn good.

So is it
a flashback like FFX, or are you actually returning in time?

It is really difficult for me to stay hyped about P5, but... shit. That opening was really goddamn good.

So is it

I actually thought it was the latter,
like it does in P4 if you fail to save someone
, but then I realized something:

The protagonist would have foreknowledge of events, which the player wouldn't. That just wouldn't work. Imagine Yu or Makoto knowing what would happen.

yuuki

Or maybe it's more akin to devil survivor in the sense that the hero gets parts of the scenes that lead to bis Demise and now has to do it best to prevent it.

jzbluz

I hope we get time travel instead of a really long flashback. The protagonist doesn't even have to keep all his memories for it to work.

Or maybe it's more akin to devil survivor in the sense that the hero gets parts of the scenes that lead to bis Demise and now has to do it best to prevent it.

Yes please.

Heh, I remember when some games would be like 'play on easy but don't get the whole story', like Power Rangers Sega CD.

If I remember correctly, you couldn't get the true ending if you played on easy in the original Valkyrie Profile.

Mediking

I wonder what kinda new club activities Joker can join.... I hope different club activities will show other party members also in them and participate with you. I'll never forget how hyped I got when I joined the same club Mitsuru was in... but then BOOM. She's like, "Kirijo means more to me! Talk to me when you get better academics! See ya!" Her social link though...
YES.

So is it

Watching the video originally and again with subtitles, it seems fairly obviously the former.
The voice tells the Hero to search through his memories in order to find the way forward.
It doesn't seem like the latter at all. More like an extended puzzling out. As if—P4 spoiler—
Persona 4 had started at the moment when you're figuring out the murderer's identity, and then the game flashed back to the beginning in order for you to figure it out.

_Ryo_

I don't remember if I asked it here or not but does anyone think that Co-Operations are gonna have Ranks? I haven't seen hide or hair of any ranking system except for the poll.

So, that poll on the bottom right of the screen that concerns the status of opinion regarding the Phantom Thieves of Heart is created by Yuki Mishima, I think? I read that one of the Co-Op characters created a phone app to study the popularity of the PTOH, so it'll be pretty cool if it was him and he keeps updating the poll with different questions.

DNAbro

I don't remember if I asked it here or not but does anyone think that Co-Operations are gonna have Ranks? I haven't seen hide or hair of any ranking system except for the poll.

So, that poll on the bottom right of the screen that concerns the status of opinion regarding the Phantom Thieves of Heart is created by Yuki Mishima, I think? I read that one of the Co-Op characters created a phone app to study the popularity of the PTOH, so it'll be pretty cool if it was him and he keeps updating the poll with different questions.

I thought the same. Maybe the more you do with it the more tangible benefits you get rather than "RANK UP" and a slight persona level boost.

_Ryo_

I thought the same. Maybe the more you do with it the more tangible benefits you get rather than "RANK UP" and a slight persona level boost.

My question then becomes: Do Co-Ops stories have a beginning, a middle and an end like previous Social Links? What happens after you finish ones story if there aren't any ranks to let you know you've completed it?

DNAbro

My question then becomes: Do Co-Ops stories have a beginning, a middle and an end like previous Social Links? What happens after you finish ones story if there aren't any ranks to let you know you've completed it?

My best guess is that Co-Ops are locked off by story basis. Like you can't continue it until you hit certain parts of the story. It would make sense since many seem to be directly related to the core plot of being thieves. Like after doing a bit Yuki has more to talk about.

This video for Chihaya(with subs) makes me think they are a bit more related to actions you actually take. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCXPzhoIt0

I'm not sure who she could be referring to, could be story related or a Momento.

I'm getting the idea that Yuki's co-op progression might be directly tied to story progression like Pharos in P3 and Teddie in P4. He ranks up as the thieves' exploits grow, along with his site's traffic and success.

The way that the game reveals that there's a traitor right at the beginning is super interesting since it kind of creates a weird sense of suspicion that almost feels at odds with a game like Persona where you form really close relationships with the party members. They could do some pretty cool stuff with that and I'm excited to see how that turns out.

The way that the game reveals that there's a traitor right at the beginning is super interesting since it kind of creates a weird sense of suspicion that almost feels at odds with a game like Persona where you form really close relationships with the party members. They could do some pretty cool stuff with that and I'm excited to see how that turns out.

It's this game's "Who's the murderer?".

It's also the most immediate plot point I'm gonna be the most cautious to avoid being spoiled on (I was spoiled on P4's killer in that five month gap between JPN and NA release dates back in 2008; I do not want a repeat of that).

cheez124

i'm really itching to hear the english voice cast, especially joker himself, as funny as that sounds. i know he won't be speaking as much as the others, but i'm still curious who they'll get to voice him.

i'm just a little worried that once i finally do hear the english dub, i'll be too biased towards the JP voices. i did like morgana's english voice though, so i guess there's that

Lusankya

i'm just a little worried that once i finally do hear the english dub, i'll be too biased towards the JP voices. i did like morgana's english voice though, so i guess there's that

I know, right? Back then I played Persona 3 and Persona 4 without having ever watched a Japanese trailer before. So my first time I had with the characters was with their English voices so for me the English voices are the "original" voices.

Now for P5 I follow the marketing since the very first trailer and I am used to hearing their Japanese voices. But most of the time I do enjoy the English voices even when I prefer the Japanese ones, so I think it will be fine (especially after hearing Morgana's English VA).

Dantis

My theory is that it's an Ocean's style bluff, and he isn't actually betrayed, or is deliberately caught by the police.

The animated cutscene where he smiles in the interrogation scene would also match up with this.

barybll

Banned
My theory is that it's an Ocean's style bluff, and he isn't actually betrayed, or is deliberately caught by the police.

The animated cutscene where he smiles in the interrogation scene would also match up with this.

It isn't

Since we already know that
It isnt a flashback of potter telling Sae the past and that velvet room attendant actively asks potter to relive the previous 6 months in order to find a way out of this predicament

Dantis

So I have a spare minute to expand/elaborate on some of my thoughts:

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is the cutscene direction. It's excellent, and builds on what they did with Catherine, where the camera feels quite physical. The difference between cutscenes in P4 and here is beyond substantial, and the actual quality of the cutscenes seems very high relative to the production budget for the game.

The loading screens look really nice, although they're more frequent than I had expected. Hopefully that will due to the heavily scripted nature of the opening, and once there's less cutscenes to load in, it'll slow down a little.

I feel like the game looks a lot nicer in the real world than in dungeons, and I realised it's because they apply a weird soft specular backlight effect in dungeons (Probably a fresnel?). It's interesting that the visual style changes between worlds though.

In regards to Mementos, ignoring the catbus (Because it doesn't mean anything, really), my concern is that A) what they showed looked veeeeery ugly and B) why am I playing as a bus rather than a character? It just seems like something I absolutely wouldn't want to do, and if the levels don't get any prettier than that then it's going to be tough to play. I don't want to spend hours in drab red tunnels. On the other hand, if they're replacing the P4 sidequests (And I assume they are), then it's fine, because we can just ignore them completely.

Another thing is that there seems to be waaaay more anime cutscenes.The opening 20 minutes alone has two reasonably lengthy ones and there's one at the beginning and ending of the pyramid dungeon. Seems like it's gotten a larger focus this time around, for better or worse.

Whilst we're on the note of anime cutscenes, it has to be pointed out tacky the sweaty bus scene is. It's another example of Atlus putting things in without really giving them any thought. Like I've been saying for a while, they have the potential to break through into the mainstream purely because they are genuinely good developers, but as long as they put stupid ass shit like that and the beach scene in, it is absolutely not going to happen.

In regards to the above posts about the opening (opening spoilers):
The attendant tells you to go back to reclaim your memories and find a way out of this mess. What I said still fits. He goes back, realises it was all a part of the plan, and the game continues. It's a classic heist twist, so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

It's just speculation. I obviously don't have a copy of Persona 5 to check if there is indeed a bigger parallel between Yuki Mishima and Yukio Mishima, but I thought it was worth bringing up since we did just recently have a discussion about same sex relationships in Persona games. Mishima was first and foremost an author (and nominated three times for the Nobel prize, actually), and some of his stories seem to fit perfectly into Persona 5, most notably the aforementioned "Confessions of a Mask" that also doubles as one of his most famous works. The novel is about a homosexual man who has to hide behind a facade in order to fit into society, and a story like this would make perfect sense in P5.

I guess in the end it's important to keep in mind that you will always be able to connect to maybe completely unrelated things if you keep digging long enough.

Edit: Ah, and to bring up some examples that show that not every naming has to be meaningful. Igor and his "family" are based on Frankenstein, but none of them actually act like their namesake if I remember correctly.

I should probably say that I wasn't trying to be confrontational with this. I was trying to say why I think it's unlikely, and didn't mean to sound like I was biting your head off.

daevious

It's amazing how a 30 second gag scene can bring about such virile anger in people.

Chill out and lighten up for fucks sake.

I'm not really seeing anger in most of those responses. It's more like disappointment, with some people's being more bitter than others.

And they have every right to be disappointed in a series leaning back on bad habits it shouldn't be showing in public.

cj_iwakura

I'm not really seeing anger in most of those responses. It's more like disappointment, with some people's being more bitter than others.

And they have every right to be disappointed in a series leaning back on bad habits it shouldn't be showing in public.

Pretty much.

Satsuya K.

Neo Member
The Co-ops looks really promising but we need to see how they work differently from S.Links. We all agree that most S.Links back then has flaws like it doesn't tie into the main story and being standalone side-stories. Let us hope that they changed that.

Nimby

Banned
It's amazing how a 30 second gag scene can bring about such virile anger in people.

Chill out and lighten up for fucks sake.

Not really seeing any anger moreso than disappointment. But the only thing that really bothers me about it is that Ryuji is clearly a straight guy, but I want the romance option with him still :S

Top Bottom