• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Dantis

This is some really low budget animation.
It's really not that bad. It's fine, even.

And putting it against something else eith completely different production values doesn't mean much either.

Xillia's ufotable animations are leaps and bounds better, yes, but Atlus clearly don't have the dolla to hire them.

Sophia

It's really not that bad. It's fine, even.

And putting it against something else eith completely different production values doesn't mean much either.

Xillia's ufotable animations are leaps and bounds better, yes, but Atlus clearly don't have the dolla to hire them.

Speaking of that, I am still baffled as to how ufotable does the kind of animation they do. Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night both had movie/OVA level animation the entire way, and I never thought the franchises were that big.

I'd love to see a Persona anime with that kind of budget. >_>;

MSMrRound

Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night both had movie/OVA level animation the entire way, and I never thought the franchises were that big.

I'd love to see a Persona anime with that kind of budget. >_>;

Eh, I think you might just be underestimating the Fate series a little bit. Not that huge here, but fans in Japan are RABID over it. In fact, Fate/Stay Night has been referred to in the fanbase as "Unlimited Budget Works" and for good reason too.

Ufotable's still kind of recovering from making that series though. Production of the God Eater series (also by Ufotable) was hampered by production issues and were even delayed and stuff.

Still, Production IG who did the P5 opening is pretty decent, having done the Psycho Pass anime and more. Definitely more of a improvement from P3 and P4 in my opinion.

daevious

Eh, I think you might just be underestimating the Fate series a little bit. Not that huge here, but fans in Japan are RABID over it. In fact, Fate/Stay Night has been referred to in the fanbase as "Unlimited Budget Works" and for good reason too.

Ufotable's still kind of recovering from making that series though. Production of the God Eater series (also by Ufotable) was hampered by production issues and were even delayed and stuff.

Still, Production IG who did the P5 opening is pretty decent, having done the Psycho Pass anime and more. Definitely more of a improvement from P3 and P4 in my opinion.

That's not from lack of trying, mind you. Fate/Extra sold more in America than it did in it's home country, which is an achievement when you consider how dead the PSP is outside of Japan. There's just huge issues over Nasu being stupid protective of his stuff so that the tangible spin off stuff has an easier time leaving Japan that the source material they're based on.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
Y'know, the thing that really get's me about that perv scene in the Morganmobile is the fact that the joke has been used like over 10000000000000 times already, even over the fact that the scene is tasteless.

I mean, does Japan not get tired of using the same joke over and over again? I'm genuinely curious.

Tamanon

Banned
I found the scene funny, and not much different from Ryuji's reaction to the bikini. I think he's just a perv! Perhaps representing "lust"!

Setsu00

SMT4 Apocalypse seems to hit Europe merely three weeks after the NA release. I guess there is now a realistic chance that Europe won't have to suffer a huge delay for P5.

MSMrRound

Anyone got a link to a clear image of a group shot of the P5 characters, the one that they are using to advertise the upcoming Tokyo Game Show event? Thanks!

Strimei

Speaking of that, I am still baffled as to how ufotable does the kind of animation they do. Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night both had movie/OVA level animation the entire way, and I never thought the franchises were that big.

Really? I always thought the Fate-verse (and the Nasuverse in general) was pretty big. Then again, I may be a tad biased...

That's not from lack of trying, mind you. Fate/Extra sold more in America than it did in it's home country, which is an achievement when you consider how dead the PSP is outside of Japan. There's just huge issues over Nasu being stupid protective of his stuff so that the tangible spin off stuff has an easier time leaving Japan that the source material they're based on.

And yet they didn't bring over Extra CCC.

Least we're getting Extella!

DNAbro

There is a translation for Sadayo Kawakami's co-op now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM_DySyhAxo

If I'm understanding this right, it revealed something interesting with the purpose of her Co-op.

By doing her co-op she will be able to cover you skipping school. You can probably just do other things around the city instead of using your time there.

cj_iwakura

That's not from lack of trying, mind you. Fate/Extra sold more in America than it did in it's home country, which is an achievement when you consider how dead the PSP is outside of Japan. There's just huge issues over Nasu being stupid so that the tangible spin off stuff has an easier time leaving Japan that the source material they're based on.

Fixed that for you. His dumbass is why we're not getting CCC.

b4mv

Banned
Okay guys. I recently have come into a bunch of time. I've been interested in Persona ever since P4A, loved it. I want to see some back story. Where do I start? I currently own P4 on PS2, I had picked it up a while back but didn't have a chance to start it. Should I begin with P3P on PSP? Pick up P3 on PS2? I saw someone saying to go back to P2, but I also see a lot of people saying that Persona really starts at 3...

Help! Your franchise is confusing me :L

Sophia

Okay guys. I recently have come into a bunch of time. I've been interested in Persona ever since P4A, loved it. I want to see some back story. Where do I start? I currently own P4 on PS2, I had picked it up a while back but didn't have a chance to start it. Should I begin with P3P on PSP? Pick up P3 on PS2? I saw someone saying to go back to P2, but I also see a lot of people saying that Persona really starts at 3...

Help! Your franchise is confusing me :L

If you have Persona 4 on the PS2, you might as well start there. It's an ideal starting point. After that, either pick up Persona 3 FES (on the PS2/PS3) or Persona 3 Portable (on the PSP or Vita)

After that, you may wish to check out Persona 1 and Persona 2 (Innocent Sin first, Eternal Punishment second), but their gameplay is fairly different from Persona 3 and 4. Everyone has their preferences there, tho.

If you're curious, Persona 3 Portable has some gameplay improvements from Persona 4 as well as the option for a female protagonist, but it lacks the animated cutscenes and better presentation of Persona 3 FES.

jzbluz

I think I'll just name him Joker if we don't get an official name. But isn't there also supposed to be a manga starting September? Or is that a one shot thing?

Lunar15

The manga will definitely have a name for the main character... that is subsequently ditched when they start coming out with spinoffs and other games where Atlus gives him a completely different name, driving fans mad for ages.

Sophia

The manga will definitely have a name for the main character... that is subsequently ditched when they start coming out with spinoffs and other games where Atlus gives him a completely different name, driving fans mad for ages.

Poor Souji Seta. Poor Minato Arisato. Poor Sakuya Shiomi.

(I actually liked Minato Arisato.)

Lunar15

Welp. I'll just name him after the "King of Strong Style".

That's a fantastic idea, actually.

Color theme even fits:

2016-04-02_06-35-48.png

_Ryo_

I just watched the prologue 3 times on repeat and I have to say:

Persona 5's soundtrack is god damn amazing. GOAT.
My favourite in the series so far, by far. Gets me pumped!

DNAbro

I just watched the prologue 3 times on repeat and I have to say:

Persona 5's soundtrack is god damn amazing. GOAT.
My favourite in the series so far, by far. Gets me pumped!

I'm mostly excited for the Japanese release just to get the full OST.

Poor Souji Seta. Poor Minato Arisato. Poor Sakuya Shiomi.

(I actually liked Minato Arisato.)
I really liked Souji Seta.
Wish they kept that but Yu Narukami is not bad either.

PERSONA 5 - Conversation Between Goro and Sae

Obviously don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled, but

Goro seems like an infinitely more affable, charming and likeable detective than Naoto

Looking forward to having him as a rival
Kinda wonder how long Atlus is going to pretend that he is not a party member.
I wonder if someone from the marketing department screwed up or that they are just trolling the fans.

Other things: Hawaii, and the Phantom Crew in the audience at Goro's show which we see him filming during the live events.

And I really like how the co-op characters are stylised next to the MC on their status screen.

Mediking

It'd be cool if you decide to study... that other party members study with you. I also wanna see if Joker has a computer he can use. He is a thief after all.

Lusankya

Oh man, loving the shot from the beach scene with Makoto and Anne laughing. We also get a first look at what seems to be Anne's casual clothes during Summer.

I wonder if we'll still get Bonus Exp during fusions (they could just get rid of it by reducing the insane amount of Exp you need to level up the Personas) or if it got replaced entirely by the abilities we get for each rank. Anyone could translate what teh abiltiy is doing in that screenshot?

Setsu00

Oh man, loving the shot from the beach scene with Makoto and Anne laughing. We also get a first look at what seems to be Anne's casual clothes during Summer.

I wonder if we'll still get Bonus Exp during fusions (they could just get rid of it by reducing the insane amount of Exp you need to level up the Personas) or if it got replaced entirely by the abilities we get for each rank. Anyone could translate what teh abiltiy is doing in that screenshot?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but it looks like you can use this skill to make additional demands if your negotiating for money or items while your chatting with demons. The ability itself is called "The Art of Negotiation", quite fitting for a politician.

Setsu00

Interesting thing from some translated screens:

Mishima, the Moon co-op, does know the real identity of the Phantom Thieves.

He also has one line during the current commercial which basically goes like "You are the Phantom Thieves, right?" That and the thing that he's probably a Yukio Mishima reference who grew to dislike the student uprisings in Japan are the main reasons why I believe that he is the traitor mentioned in the prologue. Other candidates are Goro (for obvious reasons) and Makoto since she seems to be related to Sae, the prosecutor.

I'm also leaning towards Mishima being the rat mentioned in the prologue. A lot of it has to do with the real life Yukio Mishima who famously attempted a failed coup and then committed seppuku. I can envision the character getting a twisted idea of how the Phantom Thieves should be doing things and when they don't live up to his expectations, he might decide to take them down.

Edit:
I'd completely forgotten about Haru (proving she leaves the weakest impression of the main cast for me atm). She's candidate #2.

He also has one line during the current commercial which basically goes like "You are the Phantom Thieves, right?" That and the thing that he's probably a Yukio Mishima reference who grew to dislike the student uprisings in Japan are the main reasons why I believe that he is the traitor mentioned in the prologue. Other candidates are Goro (for obvious reasons) and Makoto since she seems to be related to Sae, the prosecutor.

What about
Haru as well? Her Persona is Milady de Winter, a spy and antagonist.

Setsu00

Speaking of characters based on historical figures, Yusuke is seemingly named after the ukiyo-e artist Utamaro, who also used the name ... well, Yusuke Kitagawa.

What about
Haru as well? Her Persona is Milady de Winter, a spy and antagonist.

I guess that's a fair point. However, Haru seems to be some sort of rival at first, as the scene with her and Morgana from the fourth trailer is apparently the first time the party encounters her if Anne's reaction is any indication. Maybe that's why her Persona is an antagonistic figure.

Top Bottom