• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Hey, I beat P3: The Journey (FES) earlier this year and plan on moving on to The Answer sometime soon. Roughly how long is The Answer?

I guess that's a fair point. However, Haru seems to be some sort of rival at first, as the scene with her and Morgana from the fourth trailer is apparently the first time the party encounters her if Anne's reaction is any indication. Maybe that's why her Persona is an antagonistic figure.

I was thinking she might be a spy working for the organization.

_Ryo_

Some speculation/theories about the uses of leveling up the known Co-Operation Character's Arcana based on the latest Famitsu scans and prior knowledge about the characters.

IX:
Futaba Sakura - L'Hermite (The Hermit) Gain information about enemies strength and weaknesses
X:
Chihaya Mifune - La Roue de Fortune (The Wheel of Fortune.) Enhances the Power of Third Eye to find better secrets and treasure.
XII:
Iwai Munehisa - Le Pendu (The Hanged Man) Acquire more powerful weapons
XIII:
Tae Takemi - L'Arcane sans nom (Death) Gain more HP/SP, Obtain healing and revival items. Increase the potency of healing buffs. Receive "Plume of Dusks"
XV:
Ichiko Oya - Le Diable (The Devil) Obtain hints about your next target, and earn cash.
XVI:
Shinya Oda - La Maison Dieu (The Tower) Increase speed/accuracy of attacks by playing video games.
XVII:
Hifumi Togo - L'Étoile (The Star) Relearn forgotten skills and learn exclusive skills during Penance. Update:
According to a reddit post ranking up this co-op grants the abilities to baton touch, escape battles, and switch party members during battle. Seems like if you dont do co-op youre gonna be at a severe disadvantage.
XVIII:
Yuuki Mishima - La Lune (The Moon.) Updates his website that helps increase your public reputation as the Phanton Theives.
XIX:
Toranosuke Yoshida - Le Soleil (The Sun) Acquire abilities that enhance HOLD-UP rewards.

I'm also going to theorize that Cooperation can be reversed/and/or broken in this game,
if it works similarly to what I guess then that would make
the game more challenging and give players even more reason to participate in Co-OP.

Anyone else wanna speculate what the other Arcana could power up?

DNAbro

Some speculation/theories about the uses of leveling up the known Co-Operation Character's Arcana based on the latest Famitsu scans and prior knowledge about the characters.

IX:
Futaba Sakura - L'Hermite (The Hermit) Gain information about enemies strength and weaknesses
X:
Chihaya Mifune - La Roue de Fortune (The Wheel of Fortune.) Enhances the Power of Third Eye to find better secrets and treasure.
XII:
Iwai Munehisa - Le Pendu (The Hanged Man) Acquire more powerful weapons
XIII:
Tae Takemi - L'Arcane sans nom (Death) Gain more HP/SP, Obtain healing and revival items. Increase the potency of healing buffs. Receive "Plume of Dusks"
XV:
Ichiko Oya - Le Diable (The Devil) Obtain hints about your next target, and earn cash.
XVI:
Shinya Oda - La Maison Dieu (The Tower) Increase speed/accuracy of attacks by playing video games.
XVII:
Hifumi Togo - L'Étoile (The Star) Relearn forgotten skills and learn exclusive skills during Penance.
XVIII:
Yuuki Mishima - La Lune (The Moon.) Updates his website that helps increase your public reputation as the Phanton Theives.
XIX:
Toranosuke Yoshida - Le Soleil (The Sun) Acquire abilities that enhance HOLD-UP rewards.

I'm also going to theorize that Cooperation can be reversed/and/or broken in this game,
if it works similarly to what I guess then that would make
the game more challenging and give players even more reason to participate in Co-OP.

Anyone else wanna speculate what the other Arcana could power up?

The translation video for Temperence/Sadayo Kawakami implies that
she will help you/cover for you if you skip school. I guess you could do other things during that time.

Another consideration regarding
the traitor
:
They said there are multiple endings, right? Assuming they're more numerous and substantial than what we've seen before, maybe the traitor's identity depends on your playthrough.

Lunar15

Another consideration regarding
the traitor
:
They said there are multiple endings, right? Assuming they're more numerous and substantial than what we've seen before, maybe the traitor's identity depends on your playthrough.

I would really dislike this!
Writing something like that kind of event, to me, requires careful setup and follow through. Making everyone able to be the traitor would probably lesson the impact of any individual one betraying the group.
But I also dislike multiple endings.

I would really dislike this!
Writing something like that kind of event, to me, requires careful setup and follow through. Making everyone able to be the traitor would probably lesson the impact of any individual one betraying the group.
But I also dislike multiple endings.

Agreed. True ending's the way to go. Anything else is just lacking progression.

_Ryo_

The translation video for Temperence/Sadayo Kawakami implies that
she will help you/cover for you if you skip school. I guess you could do other things during that time.

I considered this but I dont know what sort of enhancements it could possibly give the player. Grinding during school hours? But why do that when you have MEMENTOS?

So relearning forgotten skills at the start, then learn better and better skills with each rank?

It's just speculation but I don't think we will acquire abilities after every rank. I think it will be after every other rank. Aka rank one you earn exp for the arcana, rank two you earn an ability, and so on. As for this particular arcana

It would be difficult to relearn skills you have forgotten at the beginning unless you can only have very few skills.

If this is a cooperation that's unlocked in late game it makes a lot more sense, and as for learning better skills, yes. It could maybe also allow you to learn skills that your persona can't naturally learn by leveling up or by fusion.

Anyway, yeah. My idea is basically what you said. xD.

As for the discussion above, I agree. True ending is the way to go.

Btw this is random but I have a feeling this is going to be the most complex and the most dark Persona game yet. I mean its all about the human heart, emotions and desires, which can lead to some really dark places.Then there is the fact that the tarot card designs excude menace and terror. Even the ones that you'd think were uplifting. Like you see The Sun but it's all twisted and corrupt.

So I suspect this game will be a lot harder on our heartstrings than P3 and P4. It's probably gonna hurt. In a good way.

I considered this but I dont know what sort of enhancements it could possibly give the player. Grinding during school hours? But why do that when you have MEMENTOS?

Or more time to do co-ops, or various activities like... fishing?

You know... if you hate your own joy.

daevious

Btw this is random but I have a feeling this is going to be the most complex and the most dark Persona game yet. I mean its all about the human heart, emotions and desires, which can lead to some really dark places.Then there is the fact that the tarot card designs excude menace and terror. Even the ones that you'd think were uplifting. Like you see The Sun but it's all twisted and corrupt.

So I suspect this game will be a lot harder on our heartstrings than P3 and P4. It's probably gonna hurt. In a good way.
Don't forget that this is the same game which features a grown man flying through the air in a pink thong, the Morganna-mobile, and a character whose inner-self is a motorcycle. As serious as Persona 5 is, it's still going to be quite silly at points.

Satsuya K.

Neo Member
Of course some are silly but it will show lot of controversial and darker themes that the previous games since P2 didn't show. Kamoshida lusting after teenage girls with Anne being his ideal 'sex slave' taking advantage of her loneliness which made her suffer a hell lot more with the rumors spreading throughout the school. Corrupt politicians that overshadowed the genunine. Society demands those to be like them or they don't exist at all. It's going to be a hell lot darker.

Dantis

I think there is almost no chance that this will be the most mature Persona game.
It seems unbelievably wacky, constantly topping itself as time goes on.
Which is fine. But it is what it is.

_Ryo_

Or more time to do co-ops, or various activities like... fishing?

You know... if you hate your own joy.

I think this depends on it you can complere all social links without hardly ever going to school. If you can why would you go if you didn't need to?

Also as far as silliness goes, those moments do not negate the dark ones. In fact, it's about balance. If there are more dark themes than their are stupid gags, which I absolutely think will be the case, then it'll still be a dark game. Elizabeth's silly requests in P3 to not deter the games more mature moments. Also, heart and desires can be silly as well as dark. There are even moments when it can be both simultaneously.

When looking at all the known plot and story elements, as well as the actual aesthetics of the game, the depth of the more serious elements greatly outweigh the immaturity.

We've seen a few fan servicy scenes, compared to the plethora of tortures the characters face so imo anything one would deem silly Is going to always be more highlighted because it'll stand out more when it appears in contrast to the more frequent seriousness. It works the same as vocal minorities with shit opinions. Yeah, they're louder but they're not the majority.
Unrelated:

Hifumi co-op spoiler
according to a post on Reddit ranking her up grants you baton touch, escaping battles, and switching party members during battle.

Seems like if you don't do Co-Ops in this game you are gonna be at a severe disadvantage.

Hifumi co-op spoiler
according to a post on Reddit ranking her up grants you baton touch, escaping battles, and switching party members during battle.

Seems like if you don't do Co-Ops in this game you are gonna be at a severe disadvantage.

That sounds like some bullshit (the really dumb idea kind, not the blatant falsehood kind),
especially having escaping locked behind a co-op.

Post I saw said during dungeons, not during battle, and just a higher chance to escape. Changing party members during battle has not been mentioned yet.

I would assume that basic functionality like baton touch would be from forced tutorial or rank 1 Co-ops. though. If they are locked behind them

_Ryo_

That sounds like some bullshit (the really dumb idea kind, not the blatant falsehood kind),
especially having escaping locked behind a co-op.

Post I saw said during dungeons, not during battle, and just a higher chance to escape. Changing party members during battle has not been mentioned yet.

I would assume that basic functionality like baton touch would be from forced tutorial or rank 1 Co-ops. though. If they are locked behind them

This is where I saw it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/4uzadv/coops_are_more_important_than_i_thought/

Which leads to http://domi-persona.tumblr.com/post/148084741067/the-co-op-skills-wed-get-from-hifumi-togo-➊

which then leads to a Japanese blog as the source.

Anyway, another theory/speculation regarding Goro and Phantom Thieves based on the Famitsu screenshots.

I think that the Phantom Thieves go to the live show to either infiltrate Goro's heart in order to prevent him from gaining any progress in his investigation or they go there to try to recruit him as a member of their team. There's a screenshot where the PTOH are in the audience and Goro says something along the lines of "Firstly, humans should never twist the hearts of others against their will.", and it'll be kind of great to have the crew in the audience unknowingly to disrupt his plans.

Or it could be a trap that Goro set up and he knows they're in the audience which is why he's being so blunt. He's playing a game of cat and mouse, letting them know he knows they're there and he's gonna get 'em.

Just a quick little dumb thing, but this is a COMMUNITY thread, so some community stuff should be here, right?

A few of us in the IRC have set up a plug.dj radio station of sorts. It's not strictly persona music, it's mainly video game osts, anime soundtracks, vocaloid stuff, you know, weeb shit.

Anyways, if you'd like to listen in or add some tracks of your own, join us at plug.dj/personagaf

Stuart444

Just a quick little dumb thing, but this is a COMMUNITY thread, so some community stuff should be here, right?

A few of us in the IRC have set up a plug.dj radio station of sorts. It's not strictly persona music, it's mainly video game osts, anime soundtracks, vocaloid stuff, you know, weeb shit.

Anyways, if you'd like to listen in or add some tracks of your own, join us at plug.dj/personagaf

Saw this via an RT, bookmarked. Always happy to have more options for music when I need some music in the background <3

_Ryo_

Some more speculation about the Arcana ranking. (Some knowledge based on Famitsu scans.)

V:
Sojiro Sakura - La Pape (The Hierophant) Teaches you how to craft consumables from ingredients found in dungeons or bought at shops.
(In the Famitsu scans, there is screenshot with Sojiro showing him say he'll teach you how to make coffee.)
VI:
Anne Takamaki - L'Amoureux (The Lovers) - Ability to seduce enemies so they'll go easier on you or give you better items.
VII:
Ryuji Sakamoto Le Chariot (The Chariot) - Increases charm and public perception of Phantom Thieves? The chariot is all about being a hero, so it makes sense.
Though maybe it's too similar to Yuuki Mishima.
XIV:
Sadayo Kawakami - Tempérance (Temperance) Sends you on assignments where you have to skip school and research for the teacher to increase your knowledge and improve hit accuracy during battle.And as DNAbro, and A Dead Diehard commented, it could also allow you to occasionally skip school to progress other CO-OPs and Various other stat boosting activities.

_Ryo_

I analyzed the art portrayed on the revealed tarot cards.

V. La Pape (The Hierophant):
Depicts a priest sitting in front of two pillars, holding a seven pronged staff while someone or something strokes his crotch.
X. La Roue De Fortune (The Wheel of Fortune):
Depicts a feline creature above, holding a blade to a clothed squid like creature and a lizard that are revolving on a Treadle Wheel.
XII. Le Pendu (The Hanged Man):
Depicts a man hanging upside down, perched between two branches talking into an early 2000's cellular phone.
XIII. L’Arcane Sans Nom (Death):
Depicts a Skeletal Voodoo-esque doll decapitating a king and his solider with a scythe and then stepping on the wound. It is interesting to note that this card does not have a label besides the number, which indicates that death is something without name.
XIV. Tempérance (Temperance):
Depicts an angelic woman with wings, and a flower in her hair in a desert, frolicking as she pours spirits from one chalice into another while meanwhile hands reach up out of the sand.
XV. Le Diable (The Devil)
Depicts a half naked, busty, creature with antlers and an erection that drags two fully naked, busty, feline creatures with antennae by metal collars and chains.
XVI. La Maison Dieu (The Tower):
Depicts two men falling or jumping from a broken tower in the desert with arrows raining after them.
XVII. L'Étoile (The Star):
Depicts a fully naked woman in the desert holding two chalices filled with spirits, while she pours one into her mouth and the other into the sand simultaneously as seven stars shine brightly in the sky above her.
XVIII. La Lune (The Moon)
Depicts a femininely distraught face in a spiked moon, that is crying large tears and looking down upon a scene where two canine creatures prepare to pounce on a man that is being attacked by a giant scorpion.
XVIIII. Le Soleil (The Sun):
Depicts a grisly and mischievously grinning Sun that either cries or sweats above a scene of two skulls buried in sand that rest in front of a brick wall. It is interesting to note that the roman numeral reads with an XVIII instead of the common XIX writing of nineteen.

Today's PSCV episode revealed the secret behind the lyrics to THAT song from Persona 2: Innocent Sin:

They don't know the lyrics either.

Not going to lie, whenever that song came up, I started chanting (IS endgame boss spoilers)
"Hitler! It's Hitler!"

Although I played the localised version, so I should have done it wearing sunglasses....

Setsu00

Atlus confirmed the Arcanas of the party members (minus Gorou):

Morgana:
Magician
Makoto:
Priestess
Haru:
Empress
Yusuke:
Emperor
Ryuji:
Chariot
Anne:
Lovers
Futaba:
Hermit

They are also the Coops for their Arcanas. Five more coops are listed on the website, but three (or four, depending on how Caroline and Justine are counted) of them are most likely Gorou, the Velvet Twins and a general link for the Phantom Thieves.

DNAbro

Morgana:
Magician
Makoto:
Priestess
Haru:
Empress
Yusuke:
Emperor
Ryuji:
Chariot
Anne:
Lovers
Futaba:
Hermit

They are also the Coops for their Arcanas.

where did this info come from?

Morgana:
Magician
Makoto:
Priestess
Haru:
Empress
Yusuke:
Emperor
Ryuji:
Chariot
Anne:
Lovers
Futaba:
Hermit

They are also the Coops for their Arcanas. Five more coops are listed on the website, but three (or four, depending on how Caroline and Justine are counted) of them are most likely Gorou, the Velvet Twins and a general link for the Phantom Thieves.

So the two prettiest ones are Empress and Emperor?
That makes things easier. :p

I think the jailers will only get one link between them.

PK Gaming

Slightly off topic but

Coh5Oh-UkAAvktD.jpg

Yuji Himukai's illustrations for PSC are the best

PSCV-Misheard-Lyrics.gif

Naoto Shirogane is a fifth generation detective of of the famed Shirogane family. As a descendant of a respected lineage of famous detectives, she wears formal men's clothing, and deepens her voice when she speaks in a sophisticated yet stilted manner. Logical to a fault, she is a serious character with an immense amount of pride for her occupation.After the events of Persona 4, Naoto found the resolve to be a detective in spite of the gender inequality she might experience at the work place, and is ultimately a strong character.

0 - The Fool, although we already know the MC is this
VIII - Strength
XII - Justice, could fit Goro?
20 - Judgement, Caroline/Justine?
21 - The World

Sae is presumably one of them too.

DNAbro

Fool, Strength, Justice, and judgement (Unless they're hiding more).

Even then, that's:

Fool: Thief Group
Judgement: Seekers of Reform (or something).
Justice: Almost certainly Goro.
Strength: Twins?

This makes sense. I can't believe the game is so close to coming out in Japan and how much we know now.

Also I didn't see this pic before and I like it
section4_ss1_whole.jpg

School festival confirmed

Davilmar

Slightly off topic but

Yuji Himukai's illustrations for PSC are the best

PSCV-Misheard-Lyrics.gif

Naoto Shirogane is a fifth generation detective of of the famed Shirogane family. As a descendant of a respected lineage of famous detectives, she wears formal men's clothing, and deepens her voice when she speaks in a sophisticated yet stilted manner. Logical to a fault, she is a serious character with an immense amount of pride for her occupation.After the events of Persona 4, Naoto found the resolve to be a detective in spite of the gender inequality she might experience at the work place, and is ultimately a strong character.

That gif of Naoto and Junpei is slaying me. Where is that from? Can't believed I have missed so much Persona outside the games.

PK Gaming

You&#8217;re also able to do co-op with the members of the Phantom Thieves. After deepen your bond with them, it would be possible to date and become lovers with them, however, beware of the consequences of dating several people at the same time!

P5MC:

lMrr3YC.gif

Joker will not have the opportunity to swag like Yu
As long as he isn't forced to 'swag' like Makoto, I don't mind.
that was the worst. I'm curious to how they will work consequences in this time. P4G had minor consequences with valentine's day added in. I'm still hoping for better integration of the links into the main story, and this would be a good place for part of that

Top Bottom