• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Weiss

Banned
Well, here's the list. I was putting a bunch of RPGs on hold for P5, but I guess I can start digging into them now.

Christ, nearly another whole year until we get to play it, if that. I started waiting for P5 when I started college, and I'm going to be finishing by the time it actually comes out.

#InHardinWeTrust

Dantis
Olengie
PK Gaming
Weiss
NichM
BRSxIgnition
QuadOpto
KenjiGlove
yuuki
Setsu00
ColossalLazy
TheMrPliskin
Zareka
Tamanon
Vox Chaotica
Ludger Kresnik
Kozmos
artsi
sakuori
StarSketch
Makio
MorningStar
_Ryo_
Zyrox
Dreamcast
MSMrRound
AtlusPrime
DNAbro
Sophia
Gooch: the Destroyer
Ultimate_Trainer
mrjohill
RocBase
SephLuis
yami4ct
QuiteWhittle
Psycho Mantis
Jigorath
MrFrankFontaine
Maxios
tintin1029
Ray Down
silver.tongue
Bousf
Lunar15
kayos90
Zolo
GloriousBagel
105.Will
Primethius
Cannon_Fodder
sector4
Jotamide
Son of Sparda
silva1991
Martylepiaf
Cotton Wolf
Darksol
Ganzlinger

#TeamRuin

CorvoSol
properpropaganda
MudoSkills
DryEyeRelief
Yomidi
orthodoxy1095
Swedesu
Dedication Through Light
Acquiescence
Dragonslayer_023
Tinfoilhatsron
The Last Wizard

Nachos

I'm gonna go light a choco taco on fire and hope that John feels a little pang in his heart.

---

(To echo what Silver Arrows has said, hopefully in a way that's more palatable, the issue isn't a matter of the game being delayed – insert Miyamoto quote here – but rather, of PR lying publicly. I'm sure it's always a daunting task to tow the line between transparency and opaqueness, especially when representing a branch seemingly starved for information at all times. This isn't a matter of frustrating opaqueness, though – it's outright subterfuge. It doesn't even matter if they were still in the dark – that, at the very least, speaks ill of how Atlus Japan operates and of how little they're seemingly committed to being a worldwide presence. The way I see things, this little blunder is some combination of both willful negligence and incompetence, regardless of how that ratio actually shakes out.

At the same time, I still eagerly welcome the opportunity to feast on crow. I just hope that Atlus' new PR intern doesn't take up any bad habits.)

Welp. I'm relieved I didn't take the bet. First thing I saw was the delay, and while it is disappointing, after watching PV03 I am hyped all over again.

In the very beginning there's a deep voice of a guy, but I feel like it's too deep for any of the boys in the trailer. Another party member? Or maybe painter guy's voice is just that deep.

Sophia

Hahahaha, yes! I didn't know it at the time but, looking at that list, this is the result I was vying for.

Meh, that list includes a significant amount of people who didn't make avatar bets and just casually mentioned that they expected the game in 2015 or whatever.

megalowho

Since Persona 5 is being developed for a new console, Hashino didn’t want to hold anything back and just make a short game, so instead, they’re packing the game with all kinds of content, and it’ll be the most voluminous title the series has yet to see as far as gameplay and play time goes.
I'm not convinced this is a good thing, at least the play time comment. I took significant breaks during my first time through P3 and P4 due to the pacing and length, they're 100 hour games. Hoping it's all meaningful content and not bloat.

FluxWaveZ

Meh, that list includes a significant amount of people who didn't make avatar bets and just casually mentioned that they expected the game in 2015 or whatever.

Oh, I know. Most, if not everyone in that list will not actually change their avatars. But seeing all the hope that was there before, and then looking at where we're at now. It's fascinating.

I'm gonna go light a choco taco on fire and hope that John feels a little pang in his heart.

---

(To echo what Silver Arrows has said, hopefully in a way that's more palatable, the issue isn't a matter of the game being delayed – insert Miyamoto quote here – but rather, of PR lying publicly. I'm sure it's always a daunting task to tow the line between transparency and opaqueness, especially when representing a branch seemingly starved for information at all times. This isn't a matter of frustrating opaqueness, though – it's outright subterfuge. It doesn't even matter if they were still in the dark – that, at the very least, speaks ill of how Atlus Japan operates and of how little they're seemingly committed to being a worldwide presence. The way I see things, this little blunder is some combination of both willful negligence and incompetence, regardless of how that ratio actually shakes out.

At the same time, I still eagerly welcome the opportunity to feast on crow. I just hope that Atlus' new PR intern doesn't take up any bad habits.)

Thank you. People should be angry at the fact that Atlus, on both fronts, straight up lied. Now any info they are releasing is overshadowed by the delay, and the egg is all over. And considering that Atlus as a whole is unwilling to see beyond it's own borders, is disgusting to say the least.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'll be home in a few hours to check out this new trailer and post up the punishment avatars. Looking forward to seeing some new footage after all this time.

Sophia

Oh, I know. Most, if not everyone in that list will not actually change their avatars. But seeing all the hope that was there before, and then looking at where we're at now. It's fascinating.

I only had a bunch of hope because I foolishly believed in the hype and twisted logic of this thread, rather than trusting my gut instinct that "Limited footage and oddly place trailers = obviously delayed" as I should have. Won't make that mistake again tho!

Thank you. People should be angry at the fact that Atlus, on both fronts, straight up lied. Now any info they are releasing is overshadowed by the delay, and the egg is all over. And considering that Atlus as a whole is unwilling to see beyond it's own borders, is disgusting to say the least.

People really shouldn't be angry. There are worse things in the world than not meeting a vague release date you set for yourself/giving a vague release date that, at the time, was to the best of your knowledge. It's disappointing, but being all "GRR THOSE LYING LIARS WHO LIED HOW DARE THEY I AM OUTRAGED" is only going to make your hypertension worse.

Was a length for the bet ever actually agreed?
Fascinating is certainly one word for it, personally I'd probably go with hilarious.

People really shouldn't be angry. There are worse things in the world than not meeting a vague release date you set for yourself/giving a vague release date that, at the time, was to the best of your knowledge.

I never believed 2015, not since E3. The crux of the issue is the fact that Atlus USA continued to parrot that 2015 is the release date. Now that the cat is out of the bag, more people are talking about the farce that was the delay then the goddamn trailer. If Atlus came out before TGS and said that it was going to be delayed, or even better, went back even further and said 'We have no release date, TBA' then this wouldn't have happened.

cbq

fuCdLsf.jpg
U ME = yume = dream in japanese.
Delay is just a dream guys! Just a dream... ;_;

I've gotten so hyped watching new trailer, when they first showed walking around town with new music in the background I had to pause so I could vent my emotions by shouting.

And then SUMMER 2016 happened. Someone played too much Danganronpa.

Now Atlus has around 10 months to find a publisher in Europe for simultaneous or near simultaneous release.

Lunar15

I never believed 2015, not since E3. The crux of the issue is the fact that Atlus USA continued to parrot that 2015 is the release date. Now that the cat is out of the bag, more people are talking about the farce that was the delay then the goddamn trailer. If Atlus came out before TGS and said that it was going to be delayed, or even better, went back even further and said 'We have no release date, TBA' then this wouldn't have happened.

And the game would have had the same release date and we'll play it all the same. I'm disappointed, but not angry. Not even mad at Hardin at all.

Stop being such a drama queen, sheesh.

I'll wear the avatar. No regrets. It's just a video game and it's just an avatar.

Was a length for the bet ever actually agreed?

Going back a few posts, just wanted to clarify the avatar bet.

Flux stirred the waters and I said I was willing to bet that P5 wouldn't launch in NA during 2015, KenjiGlove took me up on it and other people joined in after first blood was drawn.

Believers win if P5 gets a NA release date on or before 31st December 2015, Team Ruin wins the bet when the inevitable delay is officially announced. Losing side has to wear a punishment avatar for a month after the date is confirmed.

Nothing has been decided on what losing avatars will be - people were posting some ideas a few pages back.

My contribution was Kenji in a dunce hat. If Team Ruin win I could make a bunch of Persona characters with dunce hats on, and people can take their pick as to which on they have to wear.

I'll wear the avatar. No regrets. It's just a video game and it's just an avatar.

Yup, this basically sums it up for me, I chose the safest option and I lost, fair and square.

Hell, they could've just not said anything date-related and nobody would've blamed them.

Drop

#FE has all the things you've come to expect from the Persona-brand (except apparently it has completely original Personas instead of just harvesting Kaneko's twenty year old illustrations).

We don't know that, and we have no reason to believe that. We only have some slight similarities, but maybe what you expect from a persona game is different than what I expect.

The trailer was pretty cool. Sounds like the events in P5 will be bigger than the one in P4, which was more local related to Inaba.

What do we know about the plot so far?

The delay don't bother me much as I have a lot of games to play and I still don't own a ps4.

Sophia

And yet here we are.

Honestly, who gives a shit? Like I said before, it sucks that they kept insisting 2015. But it's not like a delay was so absurd that it demands being that angry about it. I mean we've got a joke about a potential delay in the topic title, lol...

We don't know that, and we have no reason to believe that. We only have some slight similarities, but maybe what you expect from a persona game is different than what I expect.

Wacky high school hijinks. Other world dungeons. Harem anime tendencies. Idol culture. Dancing. SLinks. Literal actual Personas. If it walks like a Persona, and quacks like a Persona, it might just be a Persona.

Hahah oh wow

I'm not on the list but I took the bet and will gladly eat crow. I was so damn sure about 2015 after Atlus confirmed it, what, like 6 times this year?

Also using all my willpower to not watch PV 3. I wanna go into P5 blind like I did for 3 and 4, especially after playing The Phantom Pain where every cutscene was spoiled in trailers beforehand lol

The trailer was pretty cool. Sounds like the events in P5 will be bigger than the one in P4, which was more local related to Inaba.

What do we know about the plot so far?

Not all that much. They dropped some info about what the dungeons are in the interview today, apparently, but we don't have anything like "this guy moves in with his uncle and then gets caught up in a string of serial killings that are linked to mysterious tv show that only airs at midnight."

Still crossing my fingers that it'll be vaguely Suicide Squad-esque, where Igor's like "Y'all are a bunch of assholes and you're probably gonna die if you keep this up but if you come work for me doing my dirty work you'll survive."

a thousand times this when people say #FE is basically Persona. I'm not into Persona for idol stuff and anime cliches/fanservice which #FE seems to be filled with. Persona's a lot more than that stuff to me.

comparing #FE to Persona sometimes feels like something someone would do if they had only read about Persona/seen a couple scenes from it instead of playing the full games

Not all that much. They dropped some info about what the dungeons are in the interview today, apparently, but we don't have anything like "this guy moves in with his uncle and then gets caught up in a string of serial killings that are linked to mysterious tv show that only airs at midnight."

Still crossing my fingers that it'll be vaguely Suicide Squad-esque, where Igor's like "Y'all are a bunch of assholes and you're probably gonna die if you keep this up but if you come work for me doing my dirty work you'll survive."
That would be cool. :)

I was never put on the list (guess I was overlooked), but I tried to get on the in hardin we trust list for the avatar bet and I will honor it. We have to use one? I think it would be nice to choose the character.

Weiss

Banned
On the plus side the trailer is really cool. We finally get a solid look at the gameplay and plot, and the new Persona designs are awesome.

I'm pretty bummed at the possibility of it not coming out on PS3 stateside, but I was going to buy a PS4 for Nier 2 so I guess it's not that big a deal.

Honestly, who gives a shit? Like I said before, it sucks that they kept insisting 2015. But it's not like a delay was so absurd that it demands being that angry about it. I mean we've got a joke about a potential delay in the topic title, lol...
Yeah, being disappointed is understandable but being angry seems like a bit much.

The delay is unfortunate, but the trailer was really cool.
On the plus side, I still want to play P3, so I guess I'll start that after DAN.

Top Bottom