• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

comparing #FE to Persona sometimes feels like something someone would do if they had only read about Persona/seen a couple scenes from it instead of playing the full games

Will #FE let you summon a six-titted snake monster with a skull face? Unlikely, unless they go way off the rails with their interpretations of FE characters.

Drop

Wacky high school hijinks. Other world dungeons. Harem anime tendencies. Idol culture. Dancing. SLinks. Literal actual Personas. If it walks like a Persona, and quacks like a Persona, it might just be a Persona.

-Wacky high school hijinks.
Ok, we've got the high school setting in common.

-Other world dungeons.
Good, we've got dungeons, like almost any rpg.

-Harem anime tendencies.
I don't remember anything about this in #fe so far, seems like an "anime" generalization you made yourself.

-Idol culture.
That's not a core element of persona, it's an element related to one character in one game, the spin-off is not relevant because it doesn't have many of the elements you would expect from a persona game itself.

-Dancing.
Don't remember this being a part of the persona games except for the spin-off.

-SLinks
Don't remember seeing anything even close to this so far in #FE, even if there was some sort of "get to know the characters better mechanics" we have no hint that it would resemble S.Links in any manner, have similar mechanics or importance.

-Literal actual Personas
Except them being creatures summoned to fight we don't know how much Performas can relate to personas, we don't know how they work mechanically(can you fuse them, gain new ones, how many are there?), we know that thematically they have nothing in common with personas though.

Yup, it seems like we associate different traits with persona, it seems to me that you only took a superficial look at the games for this comparison. It doesn't even have the Jungian thematic that persona builds on, to me that already kills your original statement. All they have in common so far is being jrpgs set in high school in which you summon creatures to fight(which are pretty generic traits for an rpg), we still don't know if they are actually similar other than on a superficial level.

A lot of pretending that #FE and Persona aren't similar

The dungeons are ones that specifically take place inside an alternate world, just like in P4.

There are literally two male characters in the cast revealed so far, the rest are all women.

Idol culture was in Persona 2 and Persona 4, and it was such a big draw to P4 they literally made a spin off about it. You don't get to say "It has nothing to do with Persona" when they made an entire game dedicated to it.

They literally said the "Get to know your friends better" mechanic were sidequests where you help them with their problems, which is literally what SLinks are.

They are literally called "Performas." Excuse me, they are literally called Mirages, a thing that is definitely unlike Shadows.

Don't worry, I'm sure the final boss will be some boring, no-personality dark dragon drawn to humanity's subconscious wishes for destruction blah blah blah.

Yup, it seems like we associate different traits with persona, it seems to me that you only took a superficial look at the games for this comparison. It doesn't even have the Jungian thematic that persona builds on, to me that already kills your original statement.

No, it builds on Fire Emblem archetypes rather than Jungian. :)

wmlk

THEORY TIME!

There are only five party members in the game. The five chairs being chained and one of the chains being broken in the P5 reveal trailer is to show that one of the party members will die in the game.

FluxWaveZ

THEORY TIME!

There are only five party members in the game. The five chairs being chained and one of the chains being broken in the P5 reveal trailer is to show that one of the party members will die in the game.

Yeah, the Persona 5 protagonist
right after he lifts his head and, with his bruised face and tortured body, smiles wryly.

THEORY TIME!

Welp, we have our whole party, then. Be prepared to bid the Phantom/Ryuji/Blonde/Morgana/Jun farewell.

The dungeons are ones that specifically take place inside an alternate world, just like in P4.

There are literally two male characters in the cast revealed so far, the rest are all women.

Idol culture was in Persona 2 and Persona 4, and it was such a big draw to P4 they literally made a spin off about it. You don't get to say "It has nothing to do with Persona" when they made an entire game dedicated to it.

They literally said the "Get to know your friends better" mechanic were sidequests where you help them with their problems, which is literally what SLinks are.

They are literally called "Performas."

They're literally called Mirages

Zyrox

They are literally called "Performas."

No, it builds on Fire Emblem archetypes rather than Jungian. :)

They are called "Mirages". "Performa" refers to some sort of inner creative energy.

QuadOpto

Note,: Looking back on my past post I feel kind of like what I wrote was pretty delusional. So, I guess, from actually reading the stuff from Hashino himself, I'm like 80% less sure (I was only like 85% sure to begin with) of a surprise takeback announcement by the end of the stream, especially there wouldn't be any real point to it other than screwing with the fans.

The trailer itself is truly and honestly amazing though, and I think if something about the release date was released sooner, or if there wasn't an insistence on getting things done in 2015, it would have excited and satiated a good deal of fans yearning for more of a look into it.

I'm still very much anticipating whatever the surprise announcement will be Saturday, and I'm still probably gonna be watching the stream in my free time until then.

...I also still have a 5% inkling of hope, but that's just me being an optimistic optimist and that's nothing more.:p

Honestly, though in spite of having disappointment, I don't really have a concentrated source to be disappointed in. I definitely don't think anger is a reasonable response in this scenario; again it's just a video game. One of our favorite's, but still just entertainment.

Everything they do show is just gold though. We've got the main cat's Personas, will be getting more information on all of the characters after the show, and who knows what else.

I hope P5 starts off with the main characters already knowing each other instead of this "Hey you transferred to a new school" stuff. I mean, obviously the trailer revealed that they meet the cat in game, and obviously they'll meet new characters as it goes on, but it'd be nice if the main three were already cohorts when it started out.

Lusankya

THEORY TIME!

Well, in the beginning of the trailer we already saw 5 characters plus the cat. So much for the theory.
5 characters don't even make sense with a party of 4.

Well, in the beginning of the trailer we already saw 5 characters plus the cat. So much for the theory.
5 characters don't even make sense with a party of 4.
How do we know the party size will be limited to 4 this time?

Also, this seems to be the first trailer where no one has commented on the music. Is it not as good? I haven't watched it yet.

I hope P5 starts off with the main characters already knowing each other instead of this "Hey you transferred to a new school" stuff. I mean, obviously the trailer revealed that they meet the cat in game, and obviously they'll meet new characters as it goes on, but it'd be nice if the main three were already cohorts when it started out.

No way, we have to see when Ryuji falls in love with the MC at first sight.

wmlk

I didn't include Morgana among the characters, as I only considered the human ones. Shown by the chairs. Those were chairs for humans to sit on obviously.

Still, I think this is the set party and that was symbolism for someone dying.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't include Morgana among the characters, as I only considered the human ones. Shown by the chairs. Those were chairs for humans to sit on obviously.

Still, I think this is the set party and that was symbolism for someone dying.

Nah, I doubt this. For one, one of the chains being broken is an obvious reference to emancipation and the emphasis on liberation in the game, not a reference to death. It's why they break their chains as they summon and why the new summoning sound resembles chains breaking.

wmlk

Nah, I doubt this. For one, one of the chains being broken is an obvious reference to emancipation and the emphasis on liberation in the game, not a reference to death.

Who knows. Maybe death is liberation. In life, you're always going to be chained down to expectations of society.

Alternatively, it could be symbolism for MC being the Wild Card.

FluxWaveZ

Who knows. Maybe death is liberation. In life, you're always going to be chained down to expectations of society.

But the game is about escaping those societal chains. The big key word for Persona 5, from Hashino, is "catharsis." Emphasizing death figuratively in such a haphazard way doesn't make sense for what they've shown of the game thus far.

The chains confirm a certain P3 character will be returning. You might say she once ran away from the god of fear and he chained her into despair (yeah), but she broke the chain and ran until she saw the sunlight again. Persona 5's theme color is red, just like the sun as it rises. They've been promoting this thing for a decade.

wmlk

That's what the game is about, though. We're not just breaking literal chains.

Yes, but maybe the reconciliation is the fact that you never really break free of those chains in life and still make the best of it. We don't know what the story will amount to or what the resolution is. Hashino has said things, yes, but there are different routes to go about it.

And just because the game has cues for breaking chains when summoning the Persona, it still doesn't mean that this is what the game will be about at the very end. In P3, you shot yourself in the head to summon, but obviously that didn't translate to the real world. There's always room for duality with the supernatural.

Drop

I'm glad you read my post.
Now it makes sense, I don't know how I could not see that before, thank you.

Yes, but maybe the reconciliation is the fact that you never really break free of those chains in life and still make the best of it. We don't know what the story will amount to or what the resolution is. Hashino has said things, yes, but there are different routes to go about it.

After P4 made such a big deal about never settling for anything less than the absolute truth? They wouldn't halfass their own themes like that.

Fine, throw in P3, the main theme of which *was* death. The acceptance of which, even. Non-canon revival nonsense aside, it saw it through completely.

How cynical, exactly, are you expecting P5 to be?

1442504834310.jpg

Apparently found on Atlus' website?

Top Bottom